• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All I care is for the game to have outsold Let's Go by the end of the year so we can bury that side series for good.

After that I don't want to hear anyone saying that the games should stop creating new pokemon and only have the original 151 ever again. New pokemon is always the way to go.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Turns out they CAN keep getting away with it? People buy the games anyway.
I mean people bought it because it was the 1st core mainline HD Pokemon, but how many will be back ic the games continue to be stale? For instance, 4 of my friends bought it at launch but only 1 of them will buying the next entry.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
QoL improvements like xp sharing, and out-of-pokecenter Pokemon switching had me pretty hooked on this one pretty much. Didn't feel hooked like this since orig Pokemon Red. Well done, Game Freak

The out of center switching has been great indeed.
I have never switched up my team as much as i have in this game, usualy i just stick with 6 pokemon and dont catch/box everything else.

Now i have like 20+ battle ready pokemon that i rotate between.

Oct 28, 2019
User banned (3 days): trolling
Imagine feeling vindicated that a billion dollar enterprise which you have zero connection to is about to get a whole lot richer, lol.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Wow, great sales. Congrats to the devs.

In the end, my kids love it, and they're not aware of all the stuff that was around these games. I like it more then S/M despite being aware of the problems. So i can't say that this is somehow undeserved.

Still, i hope Gamefreak has a solid post-launch analysis and comes to two important changes for the development of Gen 9.

1. Either stock up on your devs for engines or (imo better) switch to a premade engine with solid support.
2. Take more time for the development to begin with.

Point 1. also directly impacts point 2., but i feel like they should communicate with Nintendo and TPC asap about a better paced development schedule.
They haven't don't this before so I don't know why they'd do this now.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
The out of center switching has been great indeed.
I have never switched up my team as much as i have in this game, usualy i just stick with 6 pokemon and dont catch/box everything else.

Now i have like 20+ battle ready pokemon that i rotate between.
The combination of the Box Link and built-in Exp. Share does wonders for team building. You can experiment so much more than in the past.

Lumines

Oct 25, 2017
Are anyone surprised by this?

Anyway, guess we'll never get an actual ambitious Pokemon title

I've already conceded that's never going to happen. The fanbase is literally just good with "new Pokemon and new region" with absolutely nothing else of note going for it.

Unlike the series, my taste evolves, so it's probably a good time to dip out at this point.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
Nice photos of the Nintendo New York launch on the press release:

gr6mVWm.png

2YggWCK.png

catHhdt.png

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
This is pretty cool news. I'm having a great time with Sword/Shield. It's the first Pokémon game I've enjoyed since Black 2/White 2.

Last edited:

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean people bought it because it was the 1st core mainline HD Pokemon, but how many will be back ic the games continue to be stale? For instance, 4 of my friends bought it at launch but only 1 of them will buying the next entry.
That's what they say now. Could be a different story by the time the next entry is out.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
We're going to see a crazy shipped figure for this come January. SuMo shipped 14.69M in its launch Quarter. We could see 15-16 here if keeps this pace up.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Unlike the series, my taste evolves, so it's probably a good time to dip out at this point.

Yep this is me now, this series is basically dead to me because I don't see them having any incentive to go back on certain decisions, every gen has just been getting worse and worse with the most idiotic explanations for why they don't think certain features are good, it's not going to be something they just change their mind on if they're getting no pushback.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
Good reviews? Check. Exceptional sales? Check. Fun games? Check.

I think it is now clear the vocal minority was just that.

The games look like they've accomplished their main goal of being appealing for children while also being titles adults can enjoy and even challenge themselves. I can't wait for that moment in a few months when everyone will realize they got this mad at Pokemon.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
The combination of the Box Link and built-in Exp. Share does wonders for team building. You can experiment so much more than in the past.
Yeah, the xp candies being more than just the 5-10 rare candy you find, but something that drops pretty libraly is also super nice.
Got a dreepy from a generous spanish wondertrade, and made myself a baby lvl 1 that i was able to immediately bring up to lvl 60 just with the candy i accumulated playing the occasional raid.

Lets Go was the first mainline HP pokemon game, where by the way people said the same thing you say now, aka "people only bought lets go because it was the first HD, nobody is gonna buy the next one".
Here we are and SWSH doubled Lets GOs launch, so i think they will be quite alright for Gen 9 or Gen 4R or whatever is next.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
looks like GF was right after all. cutting the dex didn't break the series.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I've already conceded that's never going to happen. The fanbase is literally just good with "new Pokemon and new region" with absolutely nothing else of note going for it.

Maybe people just like the games and don't have the same problems with them as you do.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
That's a lot of sales :O

People didnt buy it because it was the first one in HD, they bought it because it's Pokemon. People like Pokemon, flawed game or not.

And since you brought up the smallest sample size imaginable of 6 million sales I could 1 up that: Of all the people I know who bought it (6 ppl) - 100% will buy the next one :p

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's usually sold through with Nintendo and it makes sense for this to be first weekend since Smash was 5 million and Pokémon already outsold Smash's first week in Japan, so it's definitely pacing faster than that.

Either way, terrific result. The game has problems but it's still the most fun I've had with a Pokémon game in a while now. Despite a lot of people thinking criticism will go unaddressed because of this, I do believe the next titles will be a lot more polished. Just because they've always had a sales juggernaut on their hands doesn't mean they haven't addressed criticism before.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017

The games look like they've accomplished their main goal of being appealing for children while also being titles adults can enjoy and even challenge themselves. I can't wait for that moment in a few months when everyone will realize they got this mad at Pokemon.
Wait, where is the challenge?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It reviewed below XY, Sun/Moon and let's go on opencritic
To call the games challenging for adults is a stretch
Are trash with textures that are a mix of N64 and PS2.

What are you even trying to prove with that sentence?
Legitimate criticism doesn't matter because it sold well

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Fantastic results for good games.

Hope GF gets a break though, after 4 titles in 4 years they deserve it.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields

Challenging? I had an easier time than XY.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Sales probably wouldn't be affected by reviews or word of mouth on the internet. It'd probably take a massive quality drop for it to have an impact.

The vast majority who buy these games buy them sight unseen. All they need to know is it's a new Pokémon or first on a system to want to jump back in.

Which might be a shame because Game Freak can just continue on as they sell anyway.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
It reviewed below XY, Sun/Moon and let's go on opencritic
To call the games challenging for adults is a stretch
Legitimate criticism doesn't matter because it sold well
The game sold a lot so all critiques are invalid is the point.

Why is it that people always think someone not criticising the games means they are saying all criticism is invalid ?

Cant people just not agree with your opinion, without you jumping to that conclusion ?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Maybe the boycott didn't work because the people who keep it insist on insulting everyone who enjoys the games. It's like that Rick and Morty meme " To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty "

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Why is it that people always think someone not criticising the games means they are saying all criticism is invalid ?

Cant people just not agree with your opinion, without you jumping to that conclusion ?

The post in question is literally just "but my animations", there is no opinion just a bad attempt at a "gotcha".

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
The main problem with all of this is that we're stuck with whatever crap gamefreak gives us. If the Colosseum/Stadium series was still around then I would be fine with gamefreak making underwhelming games.

But of course, gamefreak will never allow both series to co-exist.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What's this then?
but the animations 🥺
Take that, Game Freak!

/s
Imagine with the full National Dex. It would triple that. /s
That the vocal disgusting group that send death threats and harass developers are the minority?

Yeah me too.