• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017

These photos were taken at two different NJ locations of Toys R Us, Hanover in 1999 and Paramus in 2000. The album came from a seller who also sold promotional Nintendo materials, so I assume the photos were taken as reference for their displays.

Album here

E1JJQfSXIAAWD3E.jpg

E3-fmj0VcAMQFpj.jpg

HANOVER-NJ-02.png

That's it, that's the thread.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda wanna go back to that time. Games were more magical.

But that's probably my nostalgia speaking

Oct 31, 2017

Boo this man.

I kinda wanna go back to that time. Games were more magical.

But that's probably my nostalgia speaking

It is, but I know what you mean. Seeing the strategy guides made me feel warm and fuzzy to a Perfect Dark one I had back in 2000. I always wanted gaming magazines and strategy guides back in the day, and since there was no Youtube, thumbing through guides of games I didn't own gave me insight to these games I didn't.

The advantage of being a kid is everything is new, and when you're also living through the transition into 3D, the new stuff seems even newer.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
It's strange the things you end up missing and feeling nostalgic over.

That's not even the truly nostalgic toys r us layout for me (you know the old school, pick up the game tag and bring it up to the counter, oh my feels) but even this layout I see it and am taken back to some golden age in my mind. Truly don't know what you got til its gone.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I think the feels of going to the store to pickup dissappear with age.

With that said, the current design of places to pickup a game for my kids aren't as fun looking or won't exist as digital grows.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
UK Toys R Us somewhat looked like this so this is making me super nostalgic as well. Damn to be 9 again with no worries at all in the world. :/

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Brings back memories. This is around the time my parents bought me a Gameboy Color with Pokemon Blue from Toys R Us. I can still remember how excited I was to have my very own console.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Aaahhhh, reminds me of visiting Juguetón back in the 90s, my fellow Latino's here will know. Where the hell did time go 🥲

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
"What you're feeling is not 'nostalgia' but a remembering of possibilities of play"

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My first thought was wondering if I have any pictures from back then but then I realized
1) My phone did not have a camera
2) Why on earth would I take pictures of toysrus aisles?

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I don't think I ever seen the inside a Toys R Us during that era. Think the last time I bought a game there was something for SNES or Genesis, never seen that setup I'm used to the isles of box art with yellow tags you'd grab from the sleeve. By the late 90's I only bought games from Comp USA, Software etc., EB Games and Sears.

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Eh, this was well beyond their hayday though. Early 90's ToysRUs...now that was a beautiful sight.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paramus was my store growing up! We bought NES games there and I remember lining up for the GameCube. So many weird memories of that store, I can practically walk it in my mind

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Browsing for games sometimes felt like digging for treasure. There was no internet. The odds of finding something you never heard about were pretty big. Magazines didn't cover everything.

You looked at the art on the box and the screenshots. Sometimes a clerk would let you try the game for a little while.

Good times man. We didn't have a toys r us btw but the stores here were very similar.

Oct 31, 2017
Yup this was the wild days for me, seeing SNES games I wanted.

And in 1999/2000, the same time Playstation, N64, and Dreamcast games were on the shelves, which is why the pictures with SNES games in the album are nuts to me!

Honestly, I wish there was an album for that. I remember when PS2 games were out but there were no PS2s in stores, and I got excited trying to show my mom a PS2 in a kiosk before realizing it was a Sega Dreamcast. I'd love to see a bit more of that, PS2/DC games on the shelves but before GC/Xbox came into the picture.

GameOver

Jan 26, 2021
Nowadays the video games section of Best Buy is a barren wasteland because all their games are locked away near the cashiers, Target's is full of plastic garbage and GameStop's is even worse.

Walmart is the only one with a semi-decent video game section.

Oct 27, 2017
This was when they had the plastic containers around the games. I wanna see some pics of before that when the paper slips were there and you had to bring em to the back room to retrieve your game. :)