• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
v6YJlIhX6RD9RYtsqPijxPLrO66GTExu3ANBAXH1A2NKatBEhcl0FUqp77nxLxt8RI-Q9r5OH3Y8M00g7GHhSW5acRKkrHjvk76hOBAiq5Q34bLifg

:(

This. I have never owned an Optimus Prime figure in any capacity.

I've always wanted to rectify that, but it seems no mid-budget toy exists currently.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
True Crime: Streets of LA and XIII

Got Prince of Persia: Sands of Time because the EB Games clerk told my mom to get that instead. I'd say he did his job pretty well, hope nothing but the best for him or her.

Now as far as action figure white whales TODAY.

I would move heaven and earth to acquire these in their respective MSRP or cheaper

Square-Enix-Play-Arts-Kai-Vanquish-Sam-Gideon.jpg

6311808545_6c5bb0a113_b.jpg

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I had the G2 version of this. Trailer was black, still have Optimus Prime somewhere, missing his hands. It also came with this pack that had clipped onto the front of the trailer that made noises.

91P-bZMOgsL._AC_SY679_.jpg

These and standard Star Wars Storm Troopers were the white whales of my early childhood. Eventually got a Storm Trooper though after repeatedly getting undercut by some asshole who would show up at store opening on restock days and buy out the whole stock.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
There was definitely a lot of junk that I wanted that my parents (rightly) didn't get for me . One that always comes to mind is this silly Penguin stair/slide thing.

5b5BGyr.jpg

But that's not what I remember the most. Getting my parents to buy me "boy" toys was like pulling teeth. And I don't mean junk like the above that I would have probably only paid attention to for a little bit before getting bored. I loved castles and ships and train sets. But I wasn't allowed to get any of those. Anything involving building that was more complex then Lego was a no go. Hell, even more Legos beyond the initial set we had were a no go.

I'm sure that part of it was the expense, but it sucked to ask for that type of stuff and be guided towards only "girly" toys instead. That's not to say I didn't like those. I loved my Barbies and Polly Pockets and Beanie Babies. I just liked them all, and I hated the weird fuss, disbelief, and disapproval for wanting to step out of utterly ridiculous gender boundaries.

The one exception was when I managed to convince my mom to get me one of those wooden and plastic construction sets, but she made me feel like such shit for it that any time I brought it out I felt bad. I still think it's one of the coolest types of toys.

KIR8mRg.jpg

May 10, 2019
The USS Flagg equivalent for the Transformers in the 1980's - Fortress Maximus.

k85vaAY.jpg

INyLBmL.jpg

The Flagg was still cooler though.

A funny side note about a certain Transformer I always wanted, as a kid, Jet Fire

jetfiretitle.jpg

Now say hello to the Robotech VF-1 Valkyrie

037b170400.jpg.500x500.jpg

For a brief moment we had a Robotech in the Transformers world. Then licensing issues followed and we ended up with SkyFire.

300px-TFU_Jetfire.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
When I was really little, I wanted the Thomas Wooden Railway Roundhouse set.

2002RoundhouseSet.jpg

I can't find a bigger photo of it than this, but shit had over 100 pieces and even came with a storage box shaped like Thomas. Raddest shit to my Thomas-loving ass.

And then when I was older, I wanted Cybertron Optimus Prime.
Cybertrontoy_leader_optimus_prime.jpg

While I do own the recent Siege version of him, and I do think it's neat, I really still wanna get the original version one day because he was the only Optimus Prime from the Unicron Trilogy that I never owned as a kid.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
The original Kenner Alien. They pulled that off the market fast.
A vinyl caped Jawa. I have a really nice carded fake and a loose one now.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
The one exception was when I managed to convince my mom to get me one of those wooden and plastic construction sets, but she made me feel like such shit for it that any time I brought it out I felt bad. I still think it's one of the coolest types of toys.

I totally wanted the penguin thing too - I'd see it displayed at toy stores, and my child brain was hypnotized.

But I wanted to ask about the above, if it's not painful to share - how on Earth did your mom make you feel bad for playing with that construction set? I can imagine trying to steer you away towards "girl toys" in the store, but once you owned it...I can only picture something surreal, like "oh hey playing with boy toys again i see, what a stupid, those are only for boys you stupid". To imagine a mother getting salty about her daughter playing with construction toys feels more complicated than regular homophobia; especially since you had fun with toys aimed at girls too.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This this this

vEdpcpj.jpg

pt7nGzl.jpg

I was a lucky kid and got the t-rex, I can't complain too much, but this was my most wanted. I never even saw it in person, it was never on store shelves where I lived.
If I ever fall into a load of money I'm tracking one down just to fulfill my childhood dream. Looks like if they ever do appear on ebay the price goes into the thousands...

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This this this

vEdpcpj.jpg

pt7nGzl.jpg

I was a lucky kid and got the t-rex, I can't complain too much, but this was my most wanted. I never even saw it in person, it was never on store shelves where I lived.
If I ever fall into a load of money I'm tracking one down just to fulfill my childhood dream. Looks like if they ever do appear on ebay the price goes into the thousands...

Motherfucker even had a slide.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Power Wheels Jeep. Too expensive and I always lived in apartments.
N64. Too expensive and my friends had them anyway so I wasn't missing too much.
Project Justice. Borrowed a copy from my brother's friend no too long after it came out. Regretted not picking it up when it was cheaper.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The main one I remember was asking for Age of Empires on PC one year and instead getting a legendarily bad Doctor Who game instead.

I was a gigantic Doctor Who nerd as a kid, so I got my money's worth out of it despite it being trash.

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
This this this

vEdpcpj.jpg

pt7nGzl.jpg

Holy shit what a cool toy! I think this would totally sell nowadays and if I knew of it's existence in my infancy I would do anything to have one. Always had a love for dinosaurs and miniatures.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I totally wanted the penguin thing too - I'd see it displayed at toy stores, and my child brain was hypnotized.

But I wanted to ask about the above, if it's not painful to share - how on Earth did your mom make you feel bad for playing with that construction set? I can imagine trying to steer you away towards "girl toys" in the store, but once you owned it...I can only picture something surreal, like "oh hey playing with boy toys again i see, what a stupid, those are only for boys you stupid". To imagine a mother getting salty about her daughter playing with construction toys feels more complicated than regular homophobia; especially since you had fun with toys aimed at girls too.
I first remember seeing the Penguin thing at a friend's house and was utterly captivated. It's one of my earliest memories. Whoever designed that really understands how some kids' minds work.

In general my mom made me feel bad about anything I did that didn't 100% adhere to what a girl should do. Toys were just a part of it. There was definitely an aspect of homophobia to it, but I would say more so just a fear of not conforming to gender roles, standing out in the community, and being a reflection of her failure as a mother. Common refrains from her were: "What are you, a boy? Why do you think you're a boy? Why can't you be a normal girl? No one's likes girls who do that." Etc.

With that construction set in particular, I mean that the fuss of getting it tainted the experience of playing with it. She relented in giving it to me, but she made it clear that I was in the wrong for wanting it and that getting it was a waste of money. I don't really remember her commenting on me playing with it afterwards beyond a few "I can't believe you still like that" comments.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
There were tons of big expensive toys I wanted (like zords from Power Rangers) and never got prob from the price tags, and stuff I could just never find (like some rare Kenner Jurassic Park toys like the Carnotaurus), but the one thing I ALWAYS wanted was an SNES and I asked every Christmss, but it was too expensive and my mom hated me playing games. Only got to play when I visited friends that had one.

Feels bad hearing stories above with the gender role thing :( I played with a variety of toys, being influenced by stuff I liked and things my cousins were into. My family had no problem buying whatever, and kids in school accepted it too. I was pretty lucky and it seemed normal, and I had other friends that played with "opposite gendered" toys too no problem. Guess I was lucky.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I had the G2 version of this. Trailer was black, still have Optimus Prime somewhere, missing his hands. It also came with this pack that had clipped onto the front of the trailer that made noises.

91P-bZMOgsL._AC_SY679_.jpg

These and standard Star Wars Storm Troopers were the white whales of my early childhood. Eventually got a Storm Trooper though after repeatedly getting undercut by some asshole who would show up at store opening on restock days and buy out the whole stock.

I absolutely loved these, and I can't express my disappointed in the 'new line' that followed these ones where they enhanced their chins and shit. I loved the plain robotic look. I don't want them to be action heroes, they really blew it.

edit: Now it's all coming back to me. I had the cat, the dog, the baby. I remember loving the car, which I loaded up with guys and drove it off the front porch. It was awesome.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted the Technodrome from TMNT, and two specific Lego sets; Black Knight's Castle and Fire-Breathing Fortress. The TMNT toy was far too expensive and the Lego sets were discontinued by the time I asked Santa to give me the hook up. I had mountains of other turtles toys, and ended up with Royal Knight's Castle from Santa eventually.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
G1 Scorponok. Thankfully there is a new version that is quite nice.

I would have said a G1 Fort Max, but I finally bought the Encore version earlier this year.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
the big AT AT

MMPR megazord and dragonzord

bought all of them shits when I got a job. feels goodman

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I really really really wanted a White Power Ranger action figure in like Christmas 94/95. My mom couldn't find one anywhere, and finally discovered a plush of him 😂 so, semi-disappointed child that Christmas.

Oct 25, 2017
G.I. Joe Aircraft Carrier

62c0ef4593a07bfb1cab96ca9743b5d4.jpg

Voltron

a57ab051de07b59acaef179807a68747.jpg

I knew two brothers whos' parents bought them each one of everything GI Joe (so that there was no fighting). Yes they each had their own Joe Aircraft carrier.

Would have been awesome to have the really intricate die-cast Voltron. There was this version, that I did have:

5kMDMyI3vSfdH-MwTZEfSw1Vpi6jv_y4Hl-RrvF3I6lTxwOr5FCR6nt2k6LtkSA1HahHdQgGE6QEYjhrelqFMRAmIJhVsk-dwmc0WS-u-PLqoOCIQdwdzZUvGyiWoaOD6zggp22-gsyh-w

Then Finally:
90f0f3d6230ab2a5989f1ef8d4612221.jpg

8 Year old me always wanted this thing. Thanks to Restoration Games, 44 year old me gets another shot (at a game that is probably going to play better.)

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
fisher-price-pool-table-table-tennis_1_c2827683d472349fa9069e9703c067f2.jpg

Remember seeing the ads for this nonstop and mainly wanted the pool table, parents said there was no space.

rambo-m60-entertech-water-gun_1_958e41ec914ec3d9a24dac26f7230d28.jpg

we used to have water pistol shootouts with the all the neighborhood kids and this was way before supersoakers, all we had were those dollar store neon POS and one day a kid unveiled this fucking beast, fully automatic water death machine, we were all fucking jealous out of our minds, my parents laughed at us for even asking for it

Oct 27, 2017
Add me to the life-sized-car and Voltron clubs. I also wanted the train running through the house from Silver Spoons, even though there was no space for it.

OP
OP
El Bombastico

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On the subject of board games:

91n8bDDCUHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Doesn't really count since I did own this game, but we lost the fireballs and most pieces after like a year. I still kick myself for it because the game was not only blast ti play but a complete game is worth a ton of money now. I'm thinking about buying the remake that is out right now...