• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
damn, the bunny and duck character were so crazy i loved it!

I also had no choice to watch it in french but it was really nice they used the quebec french for duke caboom!

I think I was the only one laughing hysterically when the bunny and the duck were scheming on how to get the key from the old lady. Stretching out that last scenario when you knew exactly how it was going to end was genius.

I also had to see it in French and the Quebec accent for Duke was perfect for the character.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I think I was the only one laughing hysterically when the bunny and the duck were scheming on how to get the key from the old lady. Stretching out that last scenario when you knew exactly how it was going to end was genius.

I also had to see it in French and the Quebec accent for Duke was perfect for the character.

yeah same, i had a hard time trying to stop laughing at this dumb scene

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Got back from watching it today. Was a nice movie but...
OK the first 3 movies are great, and while this movie is great in its own right, I feel like it doesn't live up to the quality of the first 3.

The creepy and jump scarey stuff felt really weird in this movie, but I like that Gabby wasn't portrayed as a villain and that the movie worked as a nice closure for Woody's character.

One thing though, and I blame this on my memory but did Buzz's memories get reset by TS3's end? He behaved pretty strange throughout the movie @o@

Bird and Rabbit duo were hilariously fun, and the theater I was in did laugh throughout their key stealing skit.
Like seriously
They have some repressed anger XD

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
I saw it in Vietnamese today. The movie was amazing, honestly just as good as the first three. Ducky and Bunny were hilarious even in another language, Duke Kaboom was hilarious in his small role as well. Its bittef sweet but I'm quite happy with Woody's ending.

He and Buzz has come kinda swapped place. In the beginning of the movie, Woody has an inner voice, but he didn't have a purpose anymore since Bonnie doesn't play with him as much. While Buzz doesn't know how to be a leader, doesn't have that inner voice, but he has a purpose since Bonnie loves playing with him.

In the end, Woody lost his voice box but gained a new purpose. While Buzz gained his inner voice because of Woody's help.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
WHY CAN'T HE REMEMBER ANYTHING PRE ANDY
Didn't Toy Story 2 imply he was Andys (dead?) dads toy?
Allegedly Joe Ranft wrote a back story where Andy's dad suffered from polio as a child and kept Woody, Potato Head and Slinky locked in a chest while he went away for medical treatment. By the time he came back he was too old to play with them, so he left them locked in there until he had his own son, who he also named Andy and gave the toys to him as a gift before he died - the implication being that those toys don't realize their original owner is actually dead and that the Andy we know is his son.

The full treatment ties up some other plot holes (like why a Woody doll is considered so rare in TS2 despite being the main character of a popular TV show - the Woody doll Andy has was a prototype doll of an abandoned promotional contest, and Andy's dad was the only kid to actually receive one), but Pixar doesn't consider it canon and it's unverified whether Joe Ranft even wrote it. It's been my head canon ever since I heard it though.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Allegedly Joe Ranft wrote a back story where Andy's dad suffered from polio as a child and kept Woody, Potato Head and Slinky locked in a chest while he went away for medical treatment. By the time he came back he was too old to play with them, so he left them locked in there until he had his own son, who he also named Andy and gave the toys to him as a gift before he died - the implication being that those toys don't realize their original owner is actually dead and that the Andy we know is his son.

The full treatment ties up some other plot holes (like why a Woody doll is considered so rare in TS2 despite being the main character of a popular TV show - the Woody doll Andy has was a prototype doll of an abandoned promotional contest, and Andy's dad was the only kid to actually receive one), but Pixar doesn't consider it canon and it's unverified whether Joe Ranft even wrote it. It's been my head canon ever since I heard it though.
My assumption was that Woody's Round-up was a flash-in-the-pan show that probably had a summer of popularity before getting canned (hence the cliffhanger finale). Toys where never made in the quanitity to meet demand outside ol' Stinky Pete.

I mean, Woody and Jesse seemed to have watched the whole show in one night. Couldn't have ran for that long. Unless they decided to go straight to the last episode? That would be weird.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I remember when I read about all this backstory he supposedly had written, it answered so many questions. Pixar/Stanton were quick to call it bull, but just because it wasn't written or even discussed, doesn't mean it wasn't something Ranft thought about. For all we know, it could have been something he had in mind for Toy Story 3 had he not died.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
From my understanding, 4 will be Tim's and Hank's last movie together. TS5 could be Buzz's group in Bonnie's house then for TS6, Woody's group in the Carnival life.

I calling it now. If there is a TS6, many years have taking place and Woody some how ends up in a Thirftshop. A family man Andy just happens to shop there. Andy will does not think it's the same Woody doll but looks under the boot and see his name on it and hands it to his kids.
Well it won't be his name under the boot. It would be Bonnie. Someone haven't been paying attention.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
My assumption was that Woody's Round-up was a flash-in-the-pan show that probably had a summer of popularity before getting canned (hence the cliffhanger finale). Toys where never made in the quanitity to meet demand outside ol' Stinky Pete.

I mean, Woody and Jesse seemed to have watched the whole show in one night. Couldn't have ran for that long. Unless they decided to go straight to the last episode? That would be weird.
I guess the thing I've always thought is if there was any significant quantity of Woody dolls made, Al could have just bought one from eBay or something. Same with the museum trying to buy Al's collection. The fact that he had to hunt him down by chasing random garage sales, and the museum only being interested in the collection if it included Woody suggests to me that only a few dolls would have ever been made at most.

As for the show... I dunno, maybe they only had a handful of episodes on tape? They're never explicit about how long the show actually went on, only that it ended on a cliffhanger. It's true though that it might have only lasted one season.

That does make me wonder if they ever tried getting the prop Woody from the show. Maybe it was destroyed? Maybe I'm thinking about this too much? nooo.

Edit: https://pixar.fandom.com/wiki/Woody's_Roundup

This site says Woody's Roundup lasted for eight years

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I thought this was very good, and very funny as well. (maybe the funniest of all of them?) The Duke Caboom flashback had me in stitches. Just the name alone 'Duke Caboom, Canada's greatest stuntman', is hilarious by itself.

That being said, it did feel a bit tacked on/epilogy. I also felt they spent the first 3 movies driving home that the entire purpose of being a toy is to be loved by a child, and then this movie they retcon that a bit, and have Toy's that want to just live a life without children. Just felt a bit odd to me thematically.

Stay through all the credits for a fun Pixar logo gag right at the very, very end.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
I thought this was very good, and very funny as well. (maybe the funniest of all of them?) The Duke Caboom flashback had me in stitches. Just the name alone 'Duke Caboom, Canada's greatest stuntman', is hilarious by itself.

That being said, it did feel a bit tacked on/epilogy. I also felt they spent the first 3 movies driving home that the entire purpose of being a toy is to be loved by a child, and then this movie they retcon that a bit, and have Toy's that want to just live a life without children. Just felt a bit odd to me thematically.

Stay through all the credits for a fun Pixar logo gag right at the very, very end.

Disagree - the toys at the end are still making children happy. In fact, Woody's whole purpose in staying is to make kids happy with Bo. He realizes Gabby wants the same thing as him when he gives up his voice box (to make kids happy - to help her find a child), and they spend their time matching kids to toys in the credit sequence.

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree - the toys at the end are still making children happy. In fact, Woody's whole purpose in staying is to make kids happy with Bo. He realizes Gabby wants the same thing as him when he gives up his voice box (to make kids happy - to help her find a child), and they spend their time matching kids to toys in the credit sequence.
Yeah I feel like people keep missing the "making children happy" thing. I don't think Woody would've left Bonnie just to goof off with Bo.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I guess the thing I've always thought is if there was any significant quantity of Woody dolls made, Al could have just bought one from eBay or something. Same with the museum trying to buy Al's collection. The fact that he had to hunt him down by chasing random garage sales, and the museum only being interested in the collection if it included Woody suggests to me that only a few dolls would have ever been made at most.

As for the show... I dunno, maybe they only had a handful of episodes on tape? They're never explicit about how long the show actually went on, only that it ended on a cliffhanger. It's true though that it might have only lasted one season.

That does make me wonder if they ever tried getting the prop Woody from the show. Maybe it was destroyed? Maybe I'm thinking about this too much? nooo.

Edit: https://pixar.fandom.com/wiki/Woody's_Roundup

This site says Woody's Roundup lasted for eight years
Considering the massive implied value of the collection, it's doubtful a Woody doll of the same quality would have been readily available on eBay even if the site did exist at the time.

IIRC the story goes Woody was extremely rare because he was part of an extremely limited giveaway, as opposed to the other toys that were widely sold at toy stores. It might seem odd that the star in specific would be so limited, but it was actually based on similar real life cases of the era being referenced. Apparently that was a thing that would actually happen.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Very good movie but it just doesn't compare to 3, TS3 is simply one of the best animated movies ever made im thinking it even was more pretty at times, with Sunnyside looking like toy paradise and that awesome intro.
I would put 1 higher too, simply a classic full of charm.

not sure about 2 i will need to rewatch it

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Idd. And Bo's actively helping lost toys to get played with in the sand pit where they meet too.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
TS 2 > TS >>>>>> TS 4 >>> TS 3.

Now that more time has passed since I saw this, I can now say it's better than Toy Story 3. The ending in 4 is better than the ending in 3 too.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I love TS1, but I really can't imagine liking it more than any of the others. The sequels were just so much better in every way.
1 is my favorite. Best slate of songs, particularly Strange Things, only movie with Buzz as a great character, it has the most entertaining animation of the characters in the series. The entirety of 3 doesn't compare to single scenes of 1 in terms of engaging you with the characters and what they're feeling through their expressiveness, mostly because they're in their rawest form they're ever in; Woody's just an emotional mess the entire movie and Buzz too after he learns he's a toy.

2 is my second favorite for opening up the Toy Story world to more interesting themes relevant to a world of toys, and I often have had that as my favorite, but 1 is just too genuine, so raw, and so simple yet satisfying.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Took my 3 and a half y/o to see it. Had a great time. It really enjoyed the movie, I think they did a great job and the closure felt earned. Ducky and Bunny were so good. I continue to be floored at how amazing these new CG animated movies look. That first scene with the rain was nuts. Also, the lighting and detail are fucking nuts. Can't wait to watch it again. I have seen TS1 the most, and only started watching TS2 and 3 with my son and don't know where I rank them. 3 definitely made me cry the most, but 4 had a lot of emotional moments too. Solid 4 movies.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I think I like this more than 3 actually, excepting 3's incinerator and the ending scenes, the bad villain drag 3 down a bit for me.

I like how 4 starts and ends, and it feels great going in without seeing any trailer/infos at all lol :)

Also, I didn't think they dumb down Buzz lol, in the end the voice from his voicebox is really just his deep down feeling.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Was anyone else crying just with the opening scene because of maybe just nostalgia? Man the last few years have been rough for all my favourite childhood characters. Really good movie but Pixar seems to just want to emotionally wreck us with these movies.

And yes, it was better than 3.

Also no short film at the beginning this time? That's really unusual.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Also no short film at the beginning this time? That's really unusual.
Oh wow! That's right no short. Weird. Not that it's a bad thing, just unexpected.

I was pleasantly surprised with how Gabby was handled. Woody had achieved his goal of rescuing Forkie and on his way to return to Bonnie. He didn't have to go back after seeing what happened to Gabby especially since she had wronged him but at great personal cost to himself, he did. I kinda expected the movie to revel in her comeuppance like TS2 and TS3 but it was empathetic instead.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
So is this one scary? I'm slightly concerned about the vibe from the antique shop or whatever it is from the trailers. My son is 3 and loves all three Toy Story movies, but scenes like the diver, shark, and angler fish in Finding Nemo are a bit too scary for him. (That movie is actually pretty intense and scary if you watch it through the eyes of a toddler)

This will be his first theater experience and I'm just trying to get an idea of it before we're in there.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
So is this one scary? I'm slightly concerned about the vibe from the antique shop or whatever it is from the trailers. My son is 3 and loves all three Toy Story movies, but scenes like the diver, shark, and angler fish in Finding Nemo are a bit too scary for him. (That movie is actually pretty intense and scary if you watch it through the eyes of a toddler)

This will be his first theater experience and I'm just trying to get an idea of it before we're in there.

I was about to say it's more unnerving and creepy, but then I remembered the guy next to me jumped twice. So maybe it is!

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Saw this yesterday for my birthday and while I did have a nervous feeling seeing this, I knew Pixar wouldn't do another film if they didn't have a solid reason to do it. This film can be an argument for continuing after a trilogy, my word. I did not think they would nail it as good as the first three before it. The animation on display here in unreal. Some shots are just so damn beautiful, I was in awe. I also didn't think they could get me again with the ending but once again I was a mess. As soon as a certain line was said, I lost it. Full on tears, man. I love these films and these characters and this hit me just as hard as 3 did. This was magical to me.

There's a chase scene (could be two) and a jump scare involving dummies that can't speak so he might get a bit spooked there.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Considering the massive implied value of the collection, it's doubtful a Woody doll of the same quality would have been readily available on eBay even if the site did exist at the time.

IIRC the story goes Woody was extremely rare because he was part of an extremely limited giveaway, as opposed to the other toys that were widely sold at toy stores. It might seem odd that the star in specific would be so limited, but it was actually based on similar real life cases of the era being referenced. Apparently that was a thing that would actually happen.
Yeah, that's the Ranft back story. Andy's Woody is supposedly the only one they ever made. All the other kids who entered the giveaway were sent a space toy after the show was canceled.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Well, the main villain has some henchmen that are based on the creepy 50s doll marionette look and move in a puppet/zombie-like way, and one character does refer to them as "creepy", but they're only a focus of a few chase scenes and become friendly later on. Hard to say if over the line.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This movie's ending makes a possible (certain?) Toy Story 5's story be really interesting. While so far each Toy Story has been great, it has also all had either Andy or Boonie as the thing that ties everything together. Unchained toys makes it feel like they could do whatever they wanted now.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I was about to say it's more unnerving and creepy, but then I remembered the guy next to me jumped twice. So maybe it is!
There's a chase scene (could be two) and a jump scare involving dummies that can't speak so he might get a bit spooked there.
Well, the main villain has some henchmen that are based on the creepy 50s doll marionette look and move in a puppet/zombie-like way, and one character does refer to them as "creepy", but they're only a focus of a few chase scenes and become friendly later on. Hard to say if over the line.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. From what you guys have said, I think it will be ok. I think the thing that made Nemo too much was the relentless nature of the scary scenes, they pretty much fill the movie from beginning to end with a small break in between them. It sounds like the "scariness" in this movie is more like the kind in the other Toy Story movies, like Sid's room or the incinerator, where it is the exception rather than the rule.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea Buster voiced Forky. Perfect casting. What a nice surprise.

Key and Peele were on point.

Woody peacing out at the end kind of bothers me. The ending of Toy Story 3 was perfect. The TS movies admittedly aren't my favorites from Pixar, but man did that ending get to me. I absolutely enjoyed 4, but I just don't love that this movie overwrites that as a definitive conclusion.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. From what you guys have said, I think it will be ok. I think the thing that made Nemo too much was the relentless nature of the scary scenes, they pretty much fill the movie from beginning to end with a small break in between them. It sounds like the "scariness" in this movie is more like the kind in the other Toy Story movies, like Sid's room or the incinerator, where it is the exception rather than the rule.
That's a good way of putting it. Hope you both enjoy it.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Toy Story 1 was the first movie I watched in theaters. I was the same age as Andy and loved the movie. I got it on VHS for my birthday shortly after and eventually had a Woody doll and Buzz toy.

This movie legit made me cry. When Woody said goodbye to the other toys, especially Buzz, it was gut wrenching for me because I owned those same toys and they had their own storylines in my head, so it was really sad to see them go their own ways. Buzz seemed a little dumber in this film and didn't have as much to do, but I have less of an issue with the latter because this was Woody's movie and that's fine.

It was beautifully done. The movie itself was also gorgeous. I couldn't help but feel ridiculous having tears run down my face at the ending, but that's testament to the stellar work Pixar has done here.

Bravo. To infinity and beyond.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Had no idea Buster voiced Forky. Perfect casting. What a nice surprise.

Key and Peele were on point.

Woody peacing out at the end kind of bothers me. The ending of Toy Story 3 was perfect. The TS movies admittedly aren't my favorites from Pixar, but man did that ending get to me. I absolutely enjoyed 4, but I just don't love that this movie overwrites that as a definitive conclusion.
Eh. I get it but also I think it's a good follow-up to how Toy Story 3 ends for exactly that reason. Woody's life wasn't over just because Andy stopped being in it, especially when you consider the nature of the toys (like, they're immortal, right?). Him running off with Bo leaves far more possibilities than it would have staying with Bonnie, who was already over him and would have likely just repeated the "Andy's grown up now" cycle.

Then again I'm the type who prefers "and the adventure continues"-type endings to just wrapping everything up in a bow.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I really like what they did with Bo in this movie. Looking back it, one does tend to wonder how she would've been able to do any action like scenes in that dress of hers XP
latest

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
This was a better movie than 3 for sure. Other than the very well executed handover scene at the end, 3 is a less subtle retread of the sublime Toy Story 2. At least this movie had new ideas.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This movie was.... fine.

It was good but I don't know the emotional goodbye just didn't click for me.

Saw this last Saturday but having had time to think about it, yeah it was better than TS3 but TS2 and TS1 have it beat, with TS2 as my favorite overall.

My theater absolutely loved Key & Peele as well as Duke Caboom, as did I. Gabby was also a pleasant surprise in the antagonist role, though I'm not sure I'd really call her that. I liked Forkie more than I thought I would - he had some great lines.

All in all, I really enjoyed this film despite my apprehension.