• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly kind of don't want the series to fully end until Woody reveals that he's alive to Andy.
tenor.gif

*Cuts to Buzz*

"Well we're not doing that."

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I liked that the movie finally made you care about Bo Peep. She and her sheep were great.

The plot felt like a greatest hits album of previous TS movies. Every single thing that happened felt like a "hey, remember when something like this happened". Which is fine. They're good movies to draw from. It just didn't really feel novel in any way, which to me is a sign that the franchise would have probably been better off left at three movies.
I will say the soundtrack definitely sounded like a greatest hits of the previous three.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Things I liked:
+Villain was excellent
+Woody-Bo reunion
+Forky

Things I didn't like:
-Kind of felt like Bonnie's treatment of woody did a diservice to and retroactively weakened the ending of 3
-Side characters (Jessie, rex, potato Head) had very little to do
-Dummed down Buzz
-Pushed limits of the toys exposing themselves

It was good overall but the weakest of the four. Would have liked it more if the four negatives listed above were less noticeable or rectified.

Last edited:

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Things I liked:
+Villain was excellent
+Woody-Bo reunion
+Forky

Things I didn't like:
-Kind of felt like Bonnie's treatment of woody did a diservice to and retroactively weakened the ending of 3
-Side characters (Jessie, rex, potato Head) had very little to do
-Dummed down Buzz
-Pushed limits of the toys exposing themselves

It was good overall but the weakest of the four. Would have liked it more if the four negatives listed above were less noticeable or rectified.
Potato head actor died before this movie :^(

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
In Toy Story 4, Woody's decision has nothing to do with Bonnie. Bonnie doesn't seem to have much of a fondness or a history with Woody, so him choosing to stay with Bo and leave Bonnie doesn't have the same emotional heft.
Yeah this, thats why i was surprised to hear ERA folks cried during the ending, it was a cute and happy ending everybody got what they wanted, Woody didn't cared about the girl that much, he was released from his role as a toy to live how he wants.

However this also works from with the story , Bonnie isn't Andy, the movie made that very clear, so its more of a struggle with Woody about what to do next., a dilemma that was resolved quickly and without much problem, but still i thought that was a happy ending for the toys and cute.just not wuth the same emotional attachment as the previous movies , but whatever it worked, Woody was just obsessed because he thought Bonnie was Andy 2.0, but he couldn't bring himself to stop playing the toy

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
The emotional hook wasn't really that Woody was leaving Bonnie, it's that he was leaving his friends.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Dumbed down Buzz just sucks. His entire story line was SUPER weak, and they really underutilized Tim Allen's humor and also the character's past development. Like, 1/10 use of Buzz, IMO. Only thing saving it from a total zero is that they didn't do anything offensive with him or dumb like kill him off.

That said, I liked most everything else. Villain was good. Jokes landed. Animation and CG were beautiful. I still think the franchise should have ended with 3, and absolutely nothing in this movie makes me change that stance... but if it had to exist for money, then at least it was still pretty dang good.

TS1 - 10/10
TS2 - 9/10
TS3 - 9/10
TS4 - 7/10

Saad

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it. well-shot dark scenes, pretty much the darkest toy story move i think.
i really loved the new story beats, especially those about existence, living without purpose ...etc

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Definitely didn't have the emotional impact that TS3 had on me. I was bawling my eyes out at the furnace scene in that. I basically welled up a teeny bit during the big goodbye, but nothing too crazy in this one.

It was fun though, keanu was awesome, and K&P were doing their thing.

I agree it was a bit of a stretch that the toys were -that- active for that much of the film w/o getting caught, but alas.

good god has pixar's rendering gotten amazing though, dat lighting. gg renderman. Also that shining reference w/ midnight the stars and you... :D

Was anyone else hoping one of the mid-credits scenes would be woody and bo at the touring carnival's next stop, and it so happens to be in a college town, and some 20-something college kid goes to play a game, notices woody, and then acknowledge that "Hey, I used to have a toy just like that", and do the whole toy-human-locking-eyes-for-a-heart-string-pulling-moment as he gives woody the finger guns, saying "reach for the sky" before his girlfriend comes up, grabs his arm and goes "come on andy, lets go" ...?

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
"Bonnie will be fine" fucked me up.
Same here, that was the line that made it clear for me and it hit me like a truck. The moment Buzz said that I knew "No. No fucking way. Woody's gonna do it. No no no no no", but I knew inside that was the right choice for him, it broke my heart but I was really happy for him.

Edit: Buzz wasn't dumbed down, the "inner voice" is all him, it's a nice representation of his subconsciousness, in actuality he was doing everything himself. I also believe Woody losing his voice pack kind of represents him finally learning to let go of plenty of things, most important one being his "inner voice" causing this overly attachedness to Andy and the longing for love from Bonnie. He's free now. That inner voice ain't holding him back anymore.

Last edited:

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Buzz wasn't dumbed down, the "inner voice" is all him, it's a nice representation of his subconsciousness, in actuality he was doing everything himself. I also believe Woody losing his voice pack kind of represents him finally learning ti let go of plenty of things, most important one being his "inner voice" causing this overly attachedness to Andy and the longing for love from Bonnie. He's free now. That inner voice ain't holding him back anymore.
This. I've been thinking about the 'dumbing down' reactions after reading them, as I didn't notice it when watching the movie.

Came to the realisation that the movie sets up the rule that toys can decide which line their voice box says. Woody uses his toy box to communicate with Bo at some point, and the lines he says are on point. We don't know how many lines Gaby's voice box has (can't remember how many we hear, I can only remember the one line at the end), but you can assume she has different ones and she uses the same twice, in context.

So Buzz's inner voice really is his inner voice, he just doesn't really realise it. The scene where he presses it ten times, and it always gives him a line saying 'you should leave' confirms it for me. And it's very, very Buzz to not have the concept of real inner voice. He's not really a reflective dude.

Last edited:

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was gutted when Woody ran to Bo, I thought for a moment he wasn't going to hug Buzz and co and say bye properly

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
I...didn't like it. :(

It sucks to write that out, but the more I think on it, the more my general dislike of it grows. The whole premise is just unsatisfying for me. So, for me, this franchise only has 3 films.

The Gabby Gabby scene where she found her kid was the best & most emotional moment though. In fact, her entire character arc is the single strongest aspect of the movie. Great subversion.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I was a little surprised at all of the "adult" topics that this movie tackled. I loved that they weren't afraid to talk about them.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked Gabby as a character, she is definitely the best antagonist in the series.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Are we really supposed to believe Buzz wasn't using his conscious for the entirety of TS2. He led an entire save Woody mission and made a ton of choices, and yet here, he can't make basic decisions?

character massacre, man
It has nothing to do with Buzz being unable to make decisions or rely on his conscience. He took Woody's metaphor literally, so started doing that instead of making calls on his own. That is kept being right about the situation lead to him continuing to listen to it.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Was anyone else hoping one of the mid-credits scenes would be woody and bo at the touring carnival's next stop, and it so happens to be in a college town, and some 20-something college kid goes to play a game, notices woody, and then acknowledge that "Hey, I used to have a toy just like that", and do the whole toy-human-locking-eyes-for-a-heart-string-pulling-moment as he gives woody the finger guns, saying "reach for the sky" before his girlfriend comes up, grabs his arm and goes "come on andy, lets go" ...?

I thought FOR SURE we were getting something like this....was kinda bummed we didn't.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
The movie largely uses Bonnie as a means to push the plot forward and basically has nothing new to say in terms of a persons relationship with their toys. This is in part due to the fact that Bonnie is around the same age Andy was in Toy Story 1.

In Toy Story 4, Woody's decision has nothing to do with Bonnie. Bonnie doesn't seem to have much of a fondness or a history with Woody, so him choosing to stay with Bo and leave Bonnie doesn't have the same emotional heft.

Forky was created by Bonnie because she was scared and nervous at her first day of school. He gave her comfort. This is reflected near the end when Gabby-Gabby is there to comfort the lost little girl.

Woody has the tough choice of staying with his best firends he's known for decades even if he's unloved by Bonnie or staying with Bo and having the chance to unite lost or unloved toys with other children. Seems like in every movie Woody has to make some kind of sacrifice.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jeez. Even after seeing the previews and reading the leaks I was still weeping like a damn child. I'm really interested to see where they go from here moving forward.

Andy's gonna be fucking pissed when he visits
This was my first thought after reading the leaks lmao. Part of the reason why I was pissed at Bonnie the whole movie because I knew it was coming. The man gave away his most prized toy and she treats him like trash tf.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
"I freed a thousand toys. I could have found a thousand more a home if only they knew they were toys." - Bo Peep

OP
OP
DonMigs85

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I believe this is also the first time we ever saw Bonnie's dad. Even in the previous shorts it was always just her mom so I thought she was a single parent.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was really good, way better than any of the other recent Pixar sequels, but don't think it's as good as the other Toy Story films.

I think this was the real "letting go" film that people thought Toy Story 3 was. I had always felt that 3 was actually a "togetherness" film disguised as a "letting go" film, and I think 4 helps contextualize this a bit. You could really see with Gabby that they wanted to take the Lotso concept in a different direction. It was pretty slick how they kinda play with the sympathetic villain card they always do, and then transition it into something else. The morals are a little grayer here (since Gabby had the Forky leverage), but it makes the situation interesting. Gabby's themes do have a lot in common with Stinky Pete and Lotso (and stuff Jessie and Woody went through), it was just nice to see them play with the setup. I think it's nice they have two different examples of characters becoming completely corrupted by rejection, and characters who can still find redemption.

It does subvert some of the lessons in Toy Story 2 pretty hard, though. With the heavy emphasis on Woody, this one felt like more of a sequel to Toy Story 2. I am not sure if it actively hurts 2's messaging or if it is just a subversion, a re-watch will help. I think watching those two back-to-back would be an interesting experiment.

Biggest criticism (aside from the lack of the secondary characters) was that I never felt like the locations were well-defined, making everything feel a little random. Like, he'll show up in a sandbox and there are lost toys there, then we'll jump to the carnival stuff proper, hit up the antique store, see this little back room. Toy Story 2 did a nice job defining the situation in Al's apartment and the difficulties there, and 3 spent a lot of time showing how Sunnyside worked for the escape scene. This film felt like a lot of random running around by comparison.

Also, Forky, Ducky, and Bunny were all great. Can't believe I was so skeptical of them from the previews, their jokes killed all the way through.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I loved damn near everything about this film and found it extremely satisfying in ways that broke new ground for the series.

-They redeemed the villain and did so in a way that reinforced the core themes and tied it to Forky comforting Bonnie.

-Woody staying with Bo is unexpected but appropriate for that character. It felt like they did right by the character even if it writes out a fan favorite. In our age of endless sequels, this felt earned.

-Forky's existentialism is kind of a crazy theme to put in a kids film but they use it to explore how kids attach themselves to whatever rudimentary objects give them comfort. They introduced a bold theme and didn't skip on fleshing it out.

-The new toys are almost all great and Gabby is probably the best antagonist in the series. Toy Story 3 will forever be the weakest one in the series to me because of how much ground they retread with Lotso and how cliche it was.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Today, for the first time, I took a child (MY CHILD!) to see a childrens' movie in the theater. It used to just be my wife and I, no kids. Today, Miles saw Toy Story 4 for the first time and he loved it. We had worn through the other 3 movies, having phases that required near constant viewing (literally seen TS3 over 200 times), so it was nice.

Was the movie necessary? No. Fuck no. TS3 ended shit perfectly.
Was the movie good? Yup. It was really good. I really enjoyed it and look forward to watching it again. In 3 months.

I must admit that Toy Story 3's single line explanation of Bo's departure was unsatisfying (if well acted by T.Hanks) and I liked seeing the resolution here. Of course, they telegraphed the ending during the intro.

Really though... this was the first movie that had little to do with the kid. This was about Woody. Woody serving someone else for all his life and he finally has the opportunity to live for himself and he takes it.

This is a movie about retirement. This is for the people who took their kids to part one and are now taking their grand kids to part 4.

I loved it.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
If there's a part 5 I want it to be Andy 10 years down the road with a baby at home and trying to find Woody.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Film was pleasant enough to watch, but felt weak overall.

Didn't feel like it knew what it wanted to be. Was it about Forky? Was it about Bo Peep and Woody's relatonship? Was it about Gabby? Was it about adjusting to life under Bonnie? It tried to do a bunch of stuff, and as a result, it felt like a whole lot of nothing.

Best example I can give for what I mean is that they could have made Gabby a truly terrifying and deranged villain given the set up. She literally opens Woody up and takes a piece of him out to put into herself, but the film is so fucking toothless that they treat it all like an empty gesture that actually endears Woody to her. Fuuuck that. Movie is weak for a lot of reasons, but the lost potential there really sticks out in my mind.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Forky's creation actually foreshadows/sets up what Woody will decide his role in life will be at the end. Woody sees that Bonnie feels lonely and sad at kindergarten orientation, so he does everything he can to make her happy. He even tosses all of the materials used to make Forky onto the table for Bonnie, so Woody helped create him in a way.

By helping create Forky, Woody ends up uniting a kid with a beloved/favorite toy, which is what he, Bo Peep, and the others end up doing by uniting Gabby Gabby with that lost girl. Duke Kaboom saying "Wow, WE did that." is them realizing the impact and help they can give to both kids and other toys.

Bonnie's important to Woody's story because she helps him learn that his role in life doesn't have to involve him being a kid's favorite toy, but that he can find happiness and fulfillment by helping kids and other toys find happiness and fulfillment.

It's a perfect ending for his character, and if they make a Toy Story 5, Woody had better NOT be involved. Make it about Jessie, Buzz, Forky, and Bonnie's other toys.

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
Did not have the gravitas of Toy Story 3.

Felt almost like a TV episode...meh my kids enjoyed it.

Cost me almost $150 with the AMC and the dine in shit

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Forky's creation actually foreshadows/sets up what Woody will decide his role in life will be at the end. Woody sees that Bonnie feels lonely and sad at kindergarten orientation, so he does everything he can to make her happy. He even tosses all of the materials used to make Forky onto the table for Bonnie, so Woody helped create him in a way.

By helping create Forky, Woody ends up uniting a kid with a beloved/favorite toy, which is what he, Bo Peep, and the others end up doing by uniting Gabby Gabby with that lost girl. Duke Kaboom saying "Wow, WE did that." is them realizing the impact and help they can give to both kids and other toys.

Bonnie's important to Woody's story because she helps him learn that his role in life doesn't have to involve him being a kid's favorite toy, but that he can find happiness and fulfillment by helping kids and other toys find happiness and fulfillment.

It's a perfect ending for his character, and if they make a Toy Story 5, Woody had better NOT be involved. Make it about Jessie, Buzz, Forky, and Bonnie's other toys.
There's no way they're making a TS without Woody being present to some extent. He's the marquee character and has the most merchandise out of any of the toys for a reason. They could boil his role down to more of a cameo or auxiliary role, but no way he's not present entirely. Though it would be nice to give Bonnie's other toys some focus. Outside of the Toons/Shorts they don't do much (hell even in the Toons/Shorts their roles are often more subdued).

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I came out of the movie thinking I liked the movie but the more I think about it the more I dislike it.

Why did they have to make Buzz so dumb? He's been without woody before and has handled the roll of leader perfectly fine.

How long has it been since the ending of the third movie? How come the toys still haven't gotten used to the way things run on bonnies House?

The whole misunderstanding segment really bugged me because this characters have been together for such a long time they should know each other really well. Why does anyone have to ask woody his reasons for caring about forkie? They all should know that ever since toy story 2 Woodie has lived by a code of no toy left behind. Hell, the film starts with woody risking his life to save a toy so having his commitment being suddenly questioned felt contrived as if the toys had to act suddenly out of character for plot convenience.

Bonnie not playing with woody really bugged me and kind of ruins TS3 a bit. Woodie was the one toy Andy cared for enough that he did not want to give him up. Bonnie Saw that, she saw how much he meant to Andy and Asked her to treat him well. If Bonnie was just going to disregard Woody that quickly it would have been better for him to stay with Andy. At first I thought that well woody chose to stay with Bonnie to be with Buzz and the gang but at the end of this movie he leaves them too so..... what was the point of Leaving andy then?

At the end the movie did enough that I can't honestly call it a bad movie but at the same time I kind of wish it did not exist.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I bet in 8-10 years we'll see another Toy Story in which Andy, now with children of his own, looks to find Woody to pass onto his kids. Something along those line. I could see them doing more movies without Woody, but I bet they won't let the character go completely.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
can people stop with the "pushing the toys being discovered by the humans" shit?

woody literally talks to Cid on the first one, and Buzz drives around the fucking pizza planet truck on 2.

OP
OP
DonMigs85

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I bet in 8-10 years we'll see another Toy Story in which Andy, now with children of his own, looks to find Woody to pass onto his kids. Something along those line. I could see them doing more movies without Woody, but I bet they won't let the character go completely.
Tom Hanks will be pretty old