• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some things I wanted to bring up and discuss with other folks:
-I guess one other reason Woody couldn't go back to Bonnie was due to his missing voice box and stitches - she's gonna wonder how that happened, easier to just get lost
-a bit more toy mutilation compared to previous TS films - seeing Woody's voice box almost getting ripped out his back, Bo Peep's sheep getting a foot chipped off, exposed stuffing
-the toys can probably still communicate with each other via email or even video chat, maybe Woody and Bo find a discarded/lost smartphone at some point

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Yeh, when they were yanking on his string and it was ripping out I was twisting in my seat, can't imagine how kids felt

Also fuck bonnie

Apr 19, 2018
The Keanu Reeves meta-joke during the end credits scene, when Duke Caboom reacts to Bunny's laser eyes claim, was awesome:

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Woody made the right choice. He's like a toy superhero now, and that's rad.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Are we really supposed to believe Buzz wasn't using his conscious for the entirety of TS2. He led an entire save Woody mission and made a ton of choices, and yet here, he can't make basic decisions?

character massacre, man

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
They kind of killed Buzz with the use your conscious thing, but I think they wanted that to lead up to where Buzz tells Woody to use it as well, which prompts his decision to leave.

The movie almost made me cry there - almost. And the more I think about Woody leaving the more I think he made the right choice in the end.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The kids in this one give zero fucks about their toys, from Bonnie to Rajeán to Harmony. =/
Kids these days care less about toys so it's almost fitting.

Was anyone else really curious about those "lore" drops Woody had? The off hand mentions from him of the pre-Toy Story time when Andy was very little. I don't recall woody ever talking about that stuff before.

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it! Not as emotionally devastating as 3 but with plenty of heart and existential terror. I agree that they kind of dumbed Buzz down but I realized this time around that I don't really like Buzz. This has always been a series about Woody and the entire movie felt like a suitable epilogue after 3's conclusion.

Also, I absolutely LOVED the final two lines of this movie in the mid-credits scene (which I hope to GOD are the last lines of the franchise): "how am I alive?" / "I don't know!" (Italian chef kissing fingers)

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't leave me in tears like 3 but it was still pretty good. Is this really the last one? Like officially?

QBComics

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it. Think it more than justified its existence, and the ideas/themes it's wrestling with really drew me in.

Also, this movie is gorgeous.

Apr 19, 2018
Man, the toys really pushed the limits of exposing themselves in this one. I'm almost certain their cardinal rule is considered broken at this point.

- Woody sneaks into Bonnie's bag on her first day of school.
- Woody pretends to be a phone stand in front of a woman in the antique store.
- Buzz constantly pushes his voice box when Bonnie's mom was holding him. He then outright SHOUTS OUT that Bonnie's backpack is in the antique store.
- Trixie impersonates the family vehicle's GPS, then Buttercup mucks around with the accelerator, putting the family's safety in jeopardy.
- They robbed the carnival game owner of all of his prizes, and probably his livelihood.

OP
OP
DonMigs85

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, the toys really pushed the limits of exposing themselves in this one. I'm almost certain their cardinal rule is considered broken at this point.

- Buzz constantly pushes his voice box when Bonnie's mom was holding him. He then outright SHOUTS OUT that Bonnie's backpack is in the antique store.
- Trixie impersonates the family vehicle's GPS, then Buttercup mucks around with the accelerator, putting the family's safety in jeopardy.
- They robbed the carnival game owner of all of his prizes, and probably his livelihood.
Yeah, forget to mention this point too. They simply didn't GAF. Maybe the next movie or shorts will feature an adult human who's secretly friends with his toys.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Can't wait for Toy Story 5 🤧
The ending was cute, not sad but happy, the movoe was pretty cool, and the best looking animated movie ever, or at least the mist realistic, everything looks realistic

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
This movie was okay, definitely didn't not hit as hard as 3 did. I kind of wish they would have left it at 3.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Loved it. I was really cautious like many of you about this film. Toy Story 3 really felt like a definite ending for this franchise. I'm surprised they managed to pull this off.

Only nitpick I have is they kiiinda dumbed down Buzz a bit. He never seemed this dumb back in Toy Story 2.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I liked that the movie finally made you care about Bo Peep. She and her sheep were great.

The plot felt like a greatest hits album of previous TS movies. Every single thing that happened felt like a "hey, remember when something like this happened". Which is fine. They're good movies to draw from. It just didn't really feel novel in any way, which to me is a sign that the franchise would have probably been better off left at three movies.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's good, but not GOAT good as the other 3.
I think I agree with this. I think the tone is unique where it's more Woody-centric and focuses less on the entire ensemble of Toys. Doesn't mean its bad and I think its an interesting way to go, but I prefer everyone having a larger role in the story, especially Buzz.

The thing that had me the most conflicted at the end is I thought Woody and Buzz didn't get enough screen time together. Their bond is the foundation for the whole series.

Oct 25, 2017
Without it settling in was my favorite I think, it didn't make me tear up like 3 but it was pretty darn close.
Definitely the funniest and almost all the humor landed.

Combat Carl scene was cracking me and my brother up.

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
This movie was a lot funnier than I expected. Entire theater was giggling during the lengthy plush-rush joke with the old lady going home.

Holds up well with the rest of the films, I wish the other toys had gotten to do more, but given the ending, it really was Woody's story.

Forky was amazing.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Fun movie. If I were to have predicted what I would have though before leaving, I honestly was expecting disappointment.

Instead I got a cute and funny film, and plenty to see in an interesting world to revisit.

Really happy there wasn't a villan per se. Just someone who wanted something so much, they were willing to just take it, then realize at the end, the girl wasn't even that into you.

I will echo a common complaint that the last third felt like a fast forward, until the goodbye scene. But I loved it overall.

Full price, though not really a '3D ' one.

And yes, I loved the set up and pay offs. From the plush rush, to the last Pixar Logo Combat Carl finally getting his high five!

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Posted this in a related thread:

Before anyone assumes I thought the movie was garbage I wanted to say I still thought it was an 8.5/10.

Having said that, I was incredibly disappointed by the lack of heart and emotion in Toy Story 4.

The Toy Story series is one of my all time favorites and something that is very special to me. I'm of a similar age to Andy and therefore have experienced the same overarching moments in life at the same time.

As soon as I heard that Toy Story 4 wasn't going to be on a real timeline anymore I definitely had my doubts. The heart of these films are the characters and their evolving relationship with Andy as he gets older.

Toy Story 1 - Andy is a kid that loves toys.

Toy Story 2 - Andy still loves toys, but it's not going to last forever.

Toy Story 3 - Andy has a fondness/appreciation/nostalgia for his old toys, but he doesn't play with them anymore.

Andy being replaced by Bonnie is a genuine problem here. The relationship we've built with the characters is inherently connected to their relationship with Andy. The gut wrenching moment in 3 is when Andy decides to give away his toys. It's sad and heartfelt because Andy is saying goodbye and moving on, and we have to process a 15 year relationship (on and off screen) coming to an end. And because the time frame for Toy Story 4 is shortly after the conclusion of Toy Story 3 (as opposed to the actual 9 years) there isn't enough time that has passed to suggest a relationship has developed between Bonnie and her new toys off screen.

The movie largely uses Bonnie as a means to push the plot forward and basically has nothing new to say in terms of a persons relationship with their toys. This is in part due to the fact that Bonnie is around the same age Andy was in Toy Story 1.

The other big issue is Woody. In Toy Story 2, he is given a dilemma where he has to choose between staying with Andy who is getting older and may not want to play with him for much longer (which is exactly what happens in Toy Story 3), or being a part of a museum and being appreciated forever. It's a genuinely difficult decision that would impact not only Woody, but Andy as well. They're always interlinked.

Woody's decision in Toy Story 3 to stay with the other toys and not go to college with Andy is also tied to their relationship. Woody realizes Andy doesn't need him anymore, and Andy comes to that realization as well.

In Toy Story 4, Woody's decision has nothing to do with Bonnie. Bonnie doesn't seem to have much of a fondness or a history with Woody, so him choosing to stay with Bo and leave Bonnie doesn't have the same emotional heft.

The movie also does a poor job of showing the audience why Woody has a change of heart. The first half of the movie Woody goes above and beyond to make sure Forky is there for Bonnie. He seems to be the same loyal toy that he's always been to his owner. He's always talked about how the toys staying together is what matters, and even in the event Andy and/or Bonnie get older and don't need them anymore, they'll still have each other, and they'll still be there if they're needed.

That all goes down the tube though when Bo is back in the picture. And despite them having a close relationship in Toy Story 1 and 2, her being absent in 3 makes it that much harder to believe Woody would throw away everything for her. There's also no reason presented as to why Bo couldn't just rejoin the gang, which would make it so Woody doesn't even have to make a decision.

My final issue with 4 is the fact that a lot of central characters in this universe were relegated to "extras" status. Jessie, Bullseye, Slinky, Hamm, Rex, Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head all had nothing to do. I get that they want to add new characters, and Forky was excellent, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the others.

All in all, I thought the movie was really funny, beautifully animated, and a lot of fun. But what made the first three installments perfect in my mind was that they had everything I just listed, plus a ton of heart. I was disappointed when they panned across all the characters faces at the end and I felt absolutely nothing.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Posted this in a related thread:

Before anyone assumes I thought the movie was garbage I wanted to say I still thought it was an 8.5/10.

Having said that, I was incredibly disappointed by the lack of heart and emotion in Toy Story 4.

The Toy Story series is one of my all time favorites and something that is very special to me. I'm of a similar age to Andy and therefore have experienced the same overarching moments in life at the same time.

As soon as I heard that Toy Story 4 wasn't going to be on a real timeline anymore I definitely had my doubts. The heart of these films are the characters and their evolving relationship with Andy as he gets older.

Toy Story 1 - Andy is a kid that loves toys.

Toy Story 2 - Andy still loves toys, but it's not going to last forever.

Toy Story 3 - Andy has a fondness/appreciation/nostalgia for his old toys, but he doesn't play with them anymore.

Andy being replaced by Bonnie is a genuine problem here. The relationship we've built with the characters is inherently connected to their relationship with Andy. The gut wrenching moment in 3 is when Andy decides to give away his toys. It's sad and heartfelt because Andy is saying goodbye and moving on, and we have to process a 15 year relationship (on and off screen) coming to an end. And because the time frame for Toy Story 4 is shortly after the conclusion of Toy Story 3 (as opposed to the actual 9 years) there isn't enough time that has passed to suggest a relationship has developed between Bonnie and her new toys off screen.

The movie largely uses Bonnie as a means to push the plot forward and basically has nothing new to say in terms of a persons relationship with their toys. This is in part due to the fact that Bonnie is around the same age Andy was in Toy Story 1.

The other big issue is Woody. In Toy Story 2, he is given a dilemma where he has to choose between staying with Andy who is getting older and may not want to play with him for much longer (which is exactly what happens in Toy Story 3), or being a part of a museum and being appreciated forever. It's a genuinely difficult decision that would impact not only Woody, but Andy as well. They're always interlinked.

Woody's decision in Toy Story 3 to stay with the other toys and not go to college with Andy is also tied to their relationship. Woody realizes Andy doesn't need him anymore, and Andy comes to that realization as well.

In Toy Story 4, Woody's decision has nothing to do with Bonnie. Bonnie doesn't seem to have much of a fondness or a history with Woody, so him choosing to stay with Bo and leave Bonnie doesn't have the same emotional heft.

The movie also does a poor job of showing the audience why Woody has a change of heart. The first half of the movie Woody goes above and beyond to make sure Forky is there for Bonnie. He seems to be the same loyal toy that he's always been to his owner. He's always talked about how the toys staying together is what matters, and even in the event Andy and/or Bonnie get older and don't need them anymore, they'll still have each other, and they'll still be there if they're needed.

That all goes down the tube though when Bo is back in the picture. And despite them having a close relationship in Toy Story 1 and 2, her being absent in 3 makes it that much harder to believe Woody would throw away everything for her. There's also no reason presented as to why Bo couldn't just rejoin the gang, which would make it so Woody doesn't even have to make a decision.

My final issue with 4 is the fact that a lot of central characters in this universe were relegated to "extras" status. Jessie, Bullseye, Slinky, Hamm, Rex, Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head all had nothing to do. I get that they want to add new characters, and Forky was excellent, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the others.

All in all, I thought the movie was really funny, beautifully animated, and a lot of fun. But what made the first three installments perfect in my mind was that they had everything I just listed, plus a ton of heart. I was disappointed when they panned across all the characters faces at the end and I felt absolutely nothing.
I get where you're coming from, but thinking about it, I feel it's actually a good idea that Bonnie isn't that into Woody. It might give the impression that it makes the dilemma of staying less difficult, but does it really? Woody still leaves his friends behind. And the whole movie he is working for Bonnie, understanding he's not the top toy but that she needs her top toy.

The thing Woody learns in this one is that he has had his time. He had all those beautiful moments with Andy, while there are so many toys out there that never will have this stuff. I found it very beautiful that he realised he could and should stay behind to help those toys get their kid nad their moment. For a character we first met as a selfish toy who didn't want anyone else be the favourite, tha's quite a beautiful conclusion to end at. And I think that conclusion would have been overshadowed if Bonnie was attached to him, because then his decision would be quite dickish (it would also not work I think, because he needs the realisation that 'bonnie will be fine', his time is finally over).

Maybe it could have been built up just a bit better here and there (I think I would've liked Woody to care more about Bonnie neglecting him at first), but I really liked how this movie closed Woody's story.

I see 1-3 as a finished trilogy of Woody's relationship with Andy, while 4 is the coda and climax of Woody's own stoy.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

so what?

did you watch toy story 1?

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Great movie and thought the ending made perfect sense. I have no doubt woody will be back in upcoming shorts and in TY5 though.

My only complaint is most of the other characters took a back seat(understand not wanting potato head to speak much) but I also understand this was supposed to be Woodys story.

Crazy thing with Pixar is how well they did with these films. While I do like the other three better they all shine on their own and truly some of the best animated movies out there.

Edit: love the shining reference as well, caught that the second the song started playing in the antique shop.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I did find it kind of weird how Ducky and Bunny were motivated so much about being won/owned by a kid(as evidenced by them initially feeling threatened by Buzz), but they eventually lost that motivation with no explanation. Like they agreed to help the toys based on the prospect of being taken into Bonnie's ownership, but after the escape from the antique shop they didn't seem concerned with it anymore. In general the two characters seemed disposable and hollow, except for the comedy relief.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are we really supposed to believe Buzz wasn't using his conscious for the entirety of TS2. He led an entire save Woody mission and made a ton of choices, and yet here, he can't make basic decisions?

character massacre, man

he never questioned himself.

its like you dont even realize you are breathing until someone points it out

Oct 25, 2017
Great movie and thought the ending made perfect sense. I have no doubt woody will be back in upcoming shorts in the TY5 though.

My only complaint is most of the other characters took a back seat(understand not wanting potato head to speak much) but I understand this was supposed to be Woodys story.

Crazy thing with Pixar is how well they did with these films. While I do like the other three better they all shine on their own and truly some of the best animated movies out there.

Edit: love the shining reference as well, caught that the second the song started playing in the antique shop.

Sadly I think I was the only person laughing in my theater at that gag. A shame, because it was done beautifully.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Yeah... about Duck and Bunny. I wouldn't want them anywhere near my kids. The gags were pretty funny, but it was a bit offputting.

I also concur on the Buzz nerd. It felt off to me especially with all the experience gained in 2 and 3.

Other than that, I thought it was a great film. Bo Peep was awesome and the story itself was nice. I felt for the other toys that didn't do much, but I suspect they didn't want Potato Head's absence to be too pronounced. Overall a nice film to fill the void that has been this summer 8/10.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want a sequel just so they meet back up.

I also wanted more Woody and Buzz teaming up.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I liked Forky's humor though, beyond the "trash" gags. Mainly the oblivious forwardness he exhibited in discussions with Woody and later Gabby Gabby. Like the bit where Forky and Woody are walking down the road talking about how Buzz initially thought Andy's room was an alien planet and Forky is all "wow that's messed up". Really enjoyed the character more than I thought I would.