• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Nah you're just way off with this. The entire point of the film is that
Woody trying to re-live the glory days with Bonnie is futile and he needs to find some sense of purpose/self-actualisation outside of it, which he appears to at the end.

More than anything it's odd you think your kid's experiences are a perfect facsimile of everyone else's. Bizarre take.

You're being disingenuous here.

It doesn't matter what their goal in the movie was for Woody's development. And Bonnie didn't need to be a carbon copy of Andy to maintain complete integrity of the ending of 3, which they did not do in this film.

I'm comparing Bonnie to my childrens' sense of responsibility based on age.

The problem is that she disregards what Andy asks of her to the point of actually not even caring that she lost Woody, in fact if you watch the Toy Story toons that take place with her, she seems to be insanely careless with the status of her toys. Watching my kids it's just not realistic to me that she is THAT careless at 4-5 years old.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Just saw this, thought it was good. Not a tear jerker for me at all but I'm not super invested in the Toy Story movies despite seeing all of them. I'd say I liked this just as much as the others.

Nov 27, 2017
California
The toys accepted death and were ready to die, then Andy gave them away

4 was never going to top that in terms of feels x ;_; and it didn't

I thought 4 was pretty good, felt short but fun, ending gets you but not like 3 did

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How would my almost 4 year old handle this as his first movie theater experience?

Thinking of taking him to the cinema for the very first time.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
You're being disingenuous here.

It doesn't matter what their goal in the movie was for Woody's development. And Bonnie didn't need to be a carbon copy of Andy to maintain complete integrity of the ending of 3, which they did not do in this film.

I'm comparing Bonnie to my childrens' sense of responsibility based on age.

The problem is that she disregards what Andy asks of her to the point of actually not even caring that she lost Woody, in fact if you watch the Toy Story toons that take place with her, she seems to be insanely careless with the status of her toys. Watching my kids it's just not realistic to me that she is THAT careless at 4-5 years old.

Nothing disingenuous here, it's just odd that you find your personal experience so totally analogous to everyone else's. Things are allowed to be different and they don't need to be jarring as a result.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Just finished watching:

+ Beth: steals the show, best character by far
+ Middle age crisis Woody
+Villan: really liked how sympathetic they made her. My favorite villain of the franchise
+ That ending

- Buzz: my boy was relegated to be a joke character (and the joke becomes tiring very fast)
- Old gang: they deserved more scenes. Did Mr.Potato Head spoke something during the movie?
- New Gang: don't worked for me. Individually none had moment of prominence and collectively the interactions between them do not have the same charisma of the old gang. The little cop was the best, the biker was the worst.

Overall I liked the movie but I think it's time to let the franchise die.
The voice actor of mr. Potato died before this movie :(

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I enjoyed 3 a lot, but I didn't have any expectations going into this because I never watched a trailer. I barely knew any details going in besides Rashida Jones being attached to it and how the script involved Bo.

With that being said, I had a wonderful time watching this film. The animations and vibrant colors looked astonishing. This was truly an epilogue we didn't deserve. Yes, some of the jokes were hit-or-miss, but overall, I resonated with the plot on "saying goodbye", the existential themes layered in it, and its recognition on acceptance and accepting others. The messaging was impactful. I feel like I enjoyed it much more than the last Pixar film I watched, "Incredibles 2", because I'm actually thinking about its themes and wanting to watch it again sometime soon.
I didn't feel the ending was sad, but cute and happy a nice change of pace, it certainly didn't hit me as hard as the third movie ending did im surprised everyone was crying after this one

Yeah Woody said goodbye but everyone was happy, even the villain, nothing bad happened and Woddy didn't really liked the girl anyways (i forgot her name) as much as Andy

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I really wish we could've seen some of Woody's adventures pre-Andy. You know, it was hinted years ago..
he originally belonged to Andy's dad who died

Oct 25, 2017
Christina Hendricks was fantastic as Gabby Gabby. The best performance in the movie besides Hanks. Her performance made all the scenes with her character more interesting and tense.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
I enjoyed that the movie was centered around Woody instead of buzz (woody was always my favorite character of the two).

Probably the best way to end the franchise. I actually enjoyed all of the new characters as well. (Hendricks, Peele, Michael Key and Reeves really stole the show away from the main cast). Probably my favorite movie if the year and top 3 Pixar movies of all time.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toy Story 3 was a great sendoff for Andy and the toys.

Toy Story 4 is a great sendoff for Woody.

Also those Vincent dolls were creepy as fuck

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I still haven't rewatched the 3rd one since it was in theaters.

Crazy
This is Pixar's signature franchise, and I'm not even excited for TS4

Im getting old

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Just finished watching it. The visuals were absolutely stunning, Pixar are the gods on that department over any other CG animation studio.The actual story, well It was great... but the weakest of the four movies. Toy Story 3 remains the best. I was ready to cry like a baby at the ending but I only shed a couple tears. While with TS3 I was literally sobbing when the credits where rolling up. The new toy characters and baddies
(kinda)
were nice but not as iconic IMO as Lotso bear and big baby. Duke Kaboom however reminds me of Ken.

Super dissapointed though that the classic toy gang had pretty much zero spotlight in here. It was all about Woody and that damn forky which I honestly didn't liked it at all. Bo was the highlight which made the lack of the classic gang participation more tolerable. Overall a great movie that doesn't live up to the iconic trilogy IMO. This felt more like Toy Story 3.5. Will watch again because of the damn fine visuals. It's crazy if you compare them with Toy Story 1.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Before anyone assumes I thought the movie was garbage I wanted to say I still thought it was an 8.5/10.

Having said that, I was incredibly disappointed by the lack of heart and emotion in Toy Story 4.

The Toy Story series is one of my all time favorites and something that is very special to me. I'm of a similar age to Andy and therefore have experienced the same overarching moments in life at the same time.

As soon as I heard that Toy Story 4 wasn't going to be on a real timeline anymore I definitely had my doubts. The heart of these films are the characters and their evolving relationship with Andy as he gets older.

Toy Story 1 - Andy is a kid that loves toys.

Toy Story 2 - Andy still loves toys, but it's not going to last forever.

Toy Story 3 - Andy has a fondness/appreciation/nostalgia for his old toys, but he doesn't play with them anymore.

Andy being replaced by Bonnie is a genuine problem here. The relationship we've built with the characters is inherently connected to their relationship with Andy. The gut wrenching moment in 3 is when Andy decides to give away his toys. It's sad and heartfelt because Andy is saying goodbye and moving on, and we have to process a 15 year relationship (on and off screen) coming to an end. And because the time frame for Toy Story 4 is shortly after the conclusion of Toy Story 3 (as opposed to the actual 9 years) there isn't enough time that has passed to suggest a relationship has developed between Bonnie and her new toys off screen.

The movie largely uses Bonnie as a means to push the plot forward and basically has nothing new to say in terms of a persons relationship with their toys. This is in part due to the fact that Bonnie is around the same age Andy was in Toy Story 1.

The other big issue is Woody. In Toy Story 2, he is given a dilemma where he has to choose between staying with Andy who is getting older and may not want to play with him for much longer (which is exactly what happens in Toy Story 3), or being a part of a museum and being appreciated forever. It's a genuinely difficult decision that would impact not only Woody, but Andy as well. They're always interlinked.

Woody's decision in Toy Story 3 to stay with the other toys and not go to college with Andy is also tied to their relationship. Woody realizes Andy doesn't need him anymore, and Andy comes to that realization as well.

In Toy Story 4, Woody's decision has nothing to do with Bonnie. Bonnie doesn't seem to have much of a fondness or a history with Woody, so him choosing to stay with Bo and leave Bonnie doesn't have the same emotional heft.

The movie also does a poor job of showing the audience why Woody has a change of heart. The first half of the movie Woody goes above and beyond to make sure Forky is there for Bonnie. He seems to be the same loyal toy that he's always been to his owner. He's always talked about how the toys staying together is what matters, and even in the event Andy and/or Bonnie get older and don't need them anymore, they'll still have each other, and they'll still be there if they're needed.

That all goes down the tube though when Bo is back in the picture. And despite them having a close relationship in Toy Story 1 and 2, her being absent in 3 makes it that much harder to believe Woody would throw away everything for her. There's also no reason presented as to why Bo couldn't just rejoin the gang, which would make it so Woody doesn't even have to make a decision.

My final issue with 4 is the fact that a lot of central characters in this universe were relegated to "extras" status. Jessie, Bullseye, Slinky, Hamm, Rex, Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head all had nothing to do. I get that they want to add new characters, and Forky was excellent, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the others.

All in all, I thought the movie was really funny, beautifully animated, and a lot of fun. But what made the first three installments perfect in my mind was that they had everything I just listed, plus a ton of heart. I was disappointed when they panned across all the characters faces at the end and I felt absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Perfect movie. Perfect ending. Don't make another one, my heart can only take so much. I'm dead... Wow...

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
The "To infinity and ur mom" Spotify ad playing after every few songs drove me to pay for Premium.

Shitty line/writing aside, I know some coworkers that enjoyed the movie and claimed it was better than 3, so I'm glad to see that people are enjoying it. Still not sure if I'll be watching this one in the theater since my gf isnt much of a fan and I'd feel weird watching by myself.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
There seems to be a wide range with the ending for some, I'm guessing it's due to how the themes/ending resaonated with specific people. I wonder where I'm going to fall.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
It was really good! I did tear up a couple of times and it was an absolutely gorgeous movie for sure! I don't know if it's my favorite one, but it is really good.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
My expectations were pretty tempered going in especially after seeing some impressions here but that was about the best I couldve asked for from a sequel that seemed so unnecessary.

Easily the most Ive laughed at a Toy Story movie, and the narrative was pretty much perfect for handling how to make a sequel to something that ended as well as 3. I think it nailed Woody's character arc and it was a wise, if not necessary choice to make the movie so much about him at the expense of the other toys. Someone could make an argument for 4 being the best Toy Story and I wouldnt fight them. I didnt get as emotional as I did at the end of 3 but I dont think I needed that out of this movie to appreciate it. It was really great.

EDIT: Looks like TS4 Woody is the new TLJ Luke meaning that he's handled perfectly.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
It's amazing how far Pixar has come with their animation and how they're still so far ahead of everyone else. The way they handle materials and lighting is just... wow.

I thought it was an excellent film overall, but 3 is still best for me.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched this. I enjoyed it, though on first viewing it's probably the weakest of the franchise. Seemed like a 75%.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it. Not my favorite but definitely a worthy entry in the series. I guess if this really does end up as the finale they could always do prequels. I'd love to know what Woody was up to pre Andy even. I remember reading he might have belonged to Andy's father as a child.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Small bump, but I saw this yesterday morning and absolutely adored it. It's amazing that even though Pixar hasn't been anywhere near their prime these past few years (Coco and Inside Out were good, but not on the Pixar A-level IMO), they manage to create such a perfectly crafted film again for their signature franchise. I laughed, I cried and I think, honestly, that this is the perfect ending for the series, which is incredible considering the series already had a pretty much perfect ending.

I seriously disagree with the poster on the last page saying that Bonnie's 'abandonment' of Woody didn't feel natural. I think it fit perfectly. While she obviously liked Woody (I mean, he did got taken with her on the trip), as a young girl she clearly liked Jessie more for that role. The entire movie is basically about Woody realizing he can't be the same for Bonnie as he was for Andy and that he needs to deal with that and find ways to be important for her in different ways.

Spoiler ending:
The ending was a perfect cap to that story and fuck, even though I saw it coming, I felt a huge lump in my throat when Buzz said "She'll be okay... Bonnie will be okay". I thought I was ready, but still there I was crying on my own in a morning screening of a family film. I grew up with these toys, so seeing Woody and Buzz split up brought up emotions I didn't even remember I had for these characters.

Oh, and I loved Bo Peep's role in the film, Gabby Gabby (and the ways they dealt with her) and of course, Forky. Goddamn, you can write some serious thinkpieces on Forky and what he represents in this movie.

Not everything was perfect, I unfortunately didn't really care for Key & Peele's characters (though they luckily weren't actively annoying like in the commercials) and while I understand why it was done like that (this is basically Woody's story), I was a bit disappointed that the original group barely had any lines.

I like this more than Toy Story 3, which was also magnificent, but this is just better in (almost) every way IMO. Toy Story 1 and 2 are still the GOAT though, but overall this is one of the best series of movies I can think of honestly.

Oh, and real talk: The real (and only) tragedy with Bonnie was that she dumped the My Neighbour Totoro plushie. What the fuck, five year old?
Really Disney, couldn't get those rights back?

Last edited:

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Saw it a couple of days ago and was very disappointed. Outside of Gabby Gabby's story, nothing affected me emotionally and I was let down by the lack of the original toys' involvement. Came out thinking this was an unnecessary entry. I'd say it's the probably the worst of the 4, but maybe it's because I'm not a kid anymore and didn't connect with it as much.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
The "To infinity and ur mom" Spotify ad playing after every few songs drove me to pay for Premium.

Shitty line/writing aside, I know some coworkers that enjoyed the movie and claimed it was better than 3, so I'm glad to see that people are enjoying it. Still not sure if I'll be watching this one in the theater since my gf isnt much of a fan and I'd feel weird watching by myself.

It's very different to what you expect. It's actually a pretty good date movie/classic rom com. It's a grown up film about love, life and finding meaning in the people around you.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya seen it a couple days ago. Was disappointing but I still enjoyed it. I hate when ppl say a franchise didn't need another movie but I think it should've ended with 3.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
If I was underwhelmed by Finding Dory, Incredibles 2, Wreck It Ralph 2, and thought Toy Story 3 was just fine, is this worth seeing?