• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I was honestly really excited from the start and I gotta say I was kinda disappointed. I don't feel like it lived up to any of the previous movies. Not to say that it was bad but I feel like it didn't live up to my expectations.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it the more I love it! I went in wondering if it had a new story worth telling that hadn't been told in the series before, and it absolutely did, namely with Woody/Bo, Forky, and Gabby. I would definitely put it ahead of 3 which essentially just retold 2 with a more emotional ending. Buzz and co were underutilized in this, but Tom Hanks is clearly the best actor so might as well make it the Woody show. This is up there with the faves, for sure.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Just got out of watching it.

I enjoyed it, I realized as it was happening that this ending felt far more appropriate and gave closure to Woody as a character far better than 3, even if this sort of ending definitely would not have worked in 3. So I'm glad 4 exists just to give Woody a proper ending. And the movie really is just about him, which was nice, but I'm not exactly sure it slowed down enough for us to really believe his final choice. I feel like it really needed a scene where Woody comes to the realization that being a kid's toy is not necessarily the only point of living as a toy. Like, a realization that getting other toys to kids can be just as fulfilling. As awesome as Bo is in this movie, I'm not sure she really did anything that would have convinced Woody to give up his entire worldview. (Then again, he almost left Andy in TS2, so maybe Woody is prone on making rash decisions) I'll have to watch it again tho, the pace was so fast, I may have missed subtleties.

The biggest gut punch for me was Buzz and the gang. They got sidelined hard, but since it's Woody's movie, I get it. Just seeing Buzz turn into an even weaker joke than TS3, especially after all the leadership he showed in TS2, hurt me inside.

Forky killed it tho. Great character, tho they wore his joke out a bit fast at the start. I'm glad he wasn't one dimensional the entire time. (Also Bonnie kept him for a whole year??? Her parents are incredible.)

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved all the new characters, by far the most fitting ending to the series. But damn did every character not named Woody got shafted in screentime. This was clearly Woody's movie and wrapping his story arc completely.

But I also can see how a TV show will work now. Honestly, this movie was perfect in the sense of the story it went out to tell. But in the grand scheme of things, I wish the rest of the gang had more of a role.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cancelled my tickets. Don't have time for 99% movies.

jimmytutron

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it, but yeah I agree about the old gang getting sidelined. Though Bo being back was great.
I was hoping they were all gonna leave the truck and head to the antique store after Jesse popped the tire but they just all waited there :/ Also they really dumbed down Buzz's character. Don't remember him being this daft in the other movies.

Nov 13, 2017
I liked it, but thought 3 was a better ending to the series. Not sure if this is starting a new trilogy?

The graphics were incredible and the rain sequence looked so real! They really had no idea what to do with any of the old characters aside from Woody and Bo.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
If 3 got a best pic nom at the oscars, surely this one will also get one, right?
since it's better than 3.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the modern Pixar cycle. Mediocre movie followed up by a good one. Last year had the disappointing Incredibles 2, so now it's time for a good one again.

Then next year there's that Tom Holland/Chris Pratt one and that's probably gonna disappoint again.

Uh Incredibles 2 was better than 1.

Scythe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed 3 a lot, but I didn't have any expectations going into this because I never watched a trailer. I barely knew any details going in besides Rashida Jones being attached to it and how the script involved Bo.

With that being said, I had a wonderful time watching this film. The animations and vibrant colors looked astonishing. This was truly an epilogue we didn't deserve. Yes, some of the jokes were hit-or-miss, but overall, I resonated with the plot on "saying goodbye", the existential themes layered in it, and its recognition on acceptance and accepting others. The messaging was impactful. I feel like I enjoyed it much more than the last Pixar film I watched, "Incredibles 2", because I'm actually thinking about its themes and wanting to watch it again sometime soon.

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder whether it's okay for me to watch this considering I skipped 2 and 3.
Just watch them first? I am always dumbfounded how so many people want to jump right into the latest movie.

Only reasonable explanation is if friends etc. are going and there isn't time to catch up on the previous movies, and in that case it depends on how much you care. The new movie will be worse if you skip the previous ones, but you'll still be able to enjoy it I assume.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Opinions, funny things.

2 had a better villain, twist, action, and protagonist. And Jack Jack was great.

Also it's mind-boggling seeing people saying Toy Story 2 was better than 3. 2 was a snoozefest.
Lol. In the very same post you mention "opinions", and then being puzzled some people prefer 2...

Incredibles2 was way worse than 1 to me, and TS2 was way better than its sequel imo, 3 being basically a retelling of a music montage that lasted a few minutes in 2.
To me, 3 was pointless, but I hope 4 will bring some "definitive" closure (but who are we kidding. If 4 makes bank, and it probably will, we will see 5, 6, 7, 8... And a tv series to boot).

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it last night and very much enjoyed it. I guess its because I watched the first movie a lot when I was a little kid, but I seem to still have a lot of fondness for these characters and that ending hit me super hard. I must have cried like 4 times over the course of movie.

It's also quite funny and heartwarming as well, honestly can't think of any huge flaws.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got to admit, after walking out of the movie, I did not get the "I cried throughout the movie" comments? There are sad moments yes and a "pull at your heartstrings" moment at the end but nothing really made me cry.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I choked up at one point and then full on cried towards the end. Beautiful film, I loved it all. Going to try to catch it again this weekend.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I got to admit, after walking out of the movie, I did not get the "I cried throughout the movie" comments? There are sad moments yes and a "pull at your heartstrings" moment at the end but nothing really made me cry.

Unlike TS3, this one got me to shed one tear, but that's it. TS3 I was fucking balling. As much as I thought the ending to TS3 was the perfect way to go, this one felt just as good at closure. It really is a special franchise.

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
How's the 3D for this movie? I'm not a big fan of 3D, but the only theater showing it in 2D is a bit of a drive from where I live.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
How's the 3D for this movie? I'm not a big fan of 3D, but the only theater showing it in 2D is a bit of a drive from where I live.

It uses depth very well. It's more like peering out a window. So no real pop out of the screen moments. I prefer this kind of 3D. It's a gorgeous movie anyway, so the 3D can draw your attention to the composition in a different way. Highlighting certain elements that you might not notice in 2D.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Probably the best "unnecessary" sequel ever made. It's a step below the other 3 but still a solid 8/10. I really liked the themes it explored (identity/mental health mainly), and it felt like a satisfying post-script to TS3.

I really hope they stop here or at least make a fifth film with new toys but I'm sure they won't while money is to be made.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Era went from hating Toy Story 4's existence to loving it real quick haha. Bodes well

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Went into it with low expectations. I wasn't blown away by 3 like so many people seem to have been.

Very pleasantly surprised. Key and Peele steal the show honestly.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The film's closing line fucking snapped my heart in two:

"Is Woody a lost toy?

"No, not anymore."

re: Pixar making bafflingly great second/third sequels and making me cry:

source.gif

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite Easter Eggs was that Second Chance Antiques was established in 1986. That's the year when Lucasfilm sold their division and they formed Pixar as an independent company. Their second chance.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
The film's closing line fucking snapped my heart in two:

"Is Woody a lost toy?

"No, not anymore."

re: Pixar making bafflingly great second/third sequels and making me cry:

source.gif
The
The "To infinity...." "...and beyond"
got me too.

Last edited:

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like Era went from hating Toy Story 4's existence to loving it real quick haha. Bodes well
Remember when TS3 was announced?

"Why? There's no need... way to run it into the ground "

Now look how loved it is and it's imo without a doubt the best of the 3 (not seen 4 yet)

Same thing was said for 4, and it looks like it's gonna do a complete u turn again.