• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
1000w

The king keeps his throne.

I REALLY need to see those movies.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I don't think I've ever seen Paddington 2. Or the first one. Just never got around to them.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I might watch this later - but based on Wikipedia it looks like
Woody does leave with Bo at the end[/img]

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I'm going to see TS4, but both 2 and 3 were very highly regarded and i thought both were just OK 3 star films. Don't get me started on how overblown TLJ score is (even if you're in the 10/10 camp you can't deny a lot of people honestly didn't like it but curiously the review aggregates don't reflect that). It seems like Disney has found a way to pressure journalists into giving high scores.

'We have invited you, critic, to this early premier because based on your past reviews we know you like Disney movies. If you continue to like our movies we'll invite you to other premiers a week early when everyone else is putting their review out too. We believe this film is a masterpiece and many will agree. Enjoy the movie!'

That's a nice conspiracy theory you got there, which apparently stretches all the way back to when TS2 came out. It doesn't seem to account for the multitudes of Disney failures though in those decades.

I've got a simpler explanation. Critics like the films as much as the audiences do, which is why they are both highly rated and grossing. Yes, even TLJ, because despite any movie topic for the last 2 years being flooded by people that insist that everyone hated TLJ, it still made a ton of money, earned high ratings, and has an A cinemascore.

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I caught a preview screening last night. The reviews, comments by cast and crew, I got pretty excited they found a way to honour what had been before and give us something worth its salt to the franchise. For context, Toy Story was the first animated movie I ever saw in cinemas, and I could not think of a larger supporter south of this here equator.

What an absolute, waste - I couldn't have been more disappointed if I tried. The only character given half a damn is Woody, with the remainder being little more than dressing to support his "journey". The plot beats are great on paper, but the way they are rushed through, time given to new characters instead could have been spent on fleshing out these older characters we are once again thrust back in to. And an absolute pivotal moment in the film is given next to no time, or respect it deserves, quickly moving on for the next gag. After all the time we've spent with these characters, they deserved better.

Toy Story 4 REALLY had to prove its existence, above and beyond the usual Pixar films, so to be fair it's a hell of a task that it doesn't come anywhere near meeting. I don't wanna be that guy, but you can see the money grubbing oozing out, everything ending up perfect for a few Disney+ shows down the track. It's a "good" Pixar movie, but a very poor "Toy Story" movie.

Signed, one very disappointed cowboy.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the movie. I enjoyed it, and tears welled up during the ending. Nice passing of the torch moments

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching:

+ Beth: steals the show, best character by far
+ Middle age crisis Woody
+Villan: really liked how sympathetic they made her. My favorite villain of the franchise
+ That ending

- Buzz: my boy was relegated to be a joke character (and the joke becomes tiring very fast)
- Old gang: they deserved more scenes. Did Mr.Potato Head spoke something during the movie?
- New Gang: don't worked for me. Individually none had moment of prominence and collectively the interactions between them do not have the same charisma of the old gang. The little cop was the best, the biker was the worst.

Overall I liked the movie but I think it's time to let the franchise die.

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Just came out of the theaters. Really good! Kinda predictable though, but still nailed the execution. Incredibly similar to Madagascar 3 with what they were going for.

I actually thought it was the perfect end to Woody's story. Ultimately the films have been about him IMO.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Average score is starting to level off a bit now - about 8.3/10 which is the lowest of the series. Still a score most films would kill to have though.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Saw this tonight. What a beautiful, wonderful epilogue to this conistently amazing series. I actually thought the themes and messaging of this movie were surprising and refreshing, especially for a kid's film. It sort of goes against the grain of the typical messaging in childrens' movies. It resonated so deeply with me... I, of course, cried like a baby.

This gets a big-ol' thumbs up from me. Stands right up there with the first three films.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it. Felt like a fitting conclusion to Woody's arc. Have some grievances regarding certain characters but it was a very focused film, and the focus was on Woody (and Bo, who makes a phenomenal comeback).

Last edited:

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it.

Mediocre overall and felt really unnecessary, which I was hoping it wasn't the case.

The animation was fantastic tho. Hadn't seen a Pixar film in theaters in years.

Jan 9, 2018
Didnt love it. As someone who grew up with it and its my fav franchise its a 7 for me.. they didnt have pay off for the old gang

Apr 19, 2018
I'm still processing the movie, but I think it's going to rank on the lower end of the series for me. The first third of the film languishes with the tiresome Forky "I'm trash!" gags, while the turnaround of some of the character motivations and their resolutions feel a tad too quick and forced toward the latter half. In the end, it's a solid animated movie, but as a main entry in the numbered Toy Story series, it falls a bit short of expectations.

What I do love is how LOADED the film is with Easter eggs. My personal faves include:

- The Battesaurs lunch box, referencing the "Toy Story That Time Forgot" television special.

- The cameo appearance of "Tin Toy" from the Pixar short when they enter the pinball machine.

- The Tripledent Gum sign in the antique store, referencing Inside Out.

- The family stops to eat at Poultry Palace, the restaurant featured in the Toy Story Toons short "Small Fry."

- The grape soda bottle cap badge featured in "Up", which Bo's sheep find during their scavenging.

- Combat Carl makes an appearance, who was originally featured in the television special "Toy Story of Terror" -- though I suppose this would be a different Carl than the previous one since Woody doesn't seem to acknowledge that they met before. (And it's definitely a different one from the one Sid blew up in the first Toy Story via firecracker.)

But my absolute favorite gag is the Keanu Reeves meta-joke toward the end. You'll know it when you see it. :)

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
Was a good movie. I think it was the weakest of the series though. Did Pixar stop doing shorts before their movies?

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Just watched it. It was good. I think I like it more than I do Toy Story 3.

It's coming to a point that an animated film with an ending where everyone is happily reunited will be seen as groundbreaking.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Toy Story 4 was a bad film overall; it's the worst numbered title in the franchise. There are too many plot ideas touched with none of them panning out. It's a truly aimless Toy Story film which solidifies the fear of those knowing it was likely to be an unnecessary addition. The same mixed feelings I had watching the trailer were the same I had leaving the theater (but more negative during the fact). There are several great movie ideas in there and it ends up shredding all of them for a toothless, ineffective sequel.

P.S. That one Key & Peele joke with the setups was actually rather funny. (People who watched will know the one.) It's too bad they fit the rest of the movie as well as a pulsing sore.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Just finished seeing it. I think the things this movie makes me think about or simply remember from my own childhood are well the watch.

Some parts of the movie drag but there's some legit charm and I had a good time watching it.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Just got back. A slow start and it really beat that Forky joke into the ground, but it picks way the hell up with Bo Peep--who is absolutely fantastic. Woody also gets the proper conclusion that I didn't realize he needed.

But as others have said, it's unfortunate it came at the expense of the supporting case who were sidelined the entire adventure. Overall, I'd rank it behind 1 and 2, but ahead of 3. Oh, and that post credits gag was sooooo satisfying.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm surprised there's no OT for the movie!

Either way I'm at the theater now! Movie will start in 7 minutes. I watched Toy Story 1 to 3 from Monday to yesterday!

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Interesting the reviews from era folks to be all over the place. Some disliked it, some loved it, and others liked it more than 3 but not as good as 1/2x

Oct 25, 2017
Way better than Toy Story 3, but not quite up to 1 and 2. I was under the impression it was going to lean into its themes more than it actually did. It was really more just a movie about... Woody, and not a whole lot else. Which felt reminiscent of Toy Story 2 actually, so I think that was actually a net good thing.

Visutally stunning movie from beginning to end.

Another good thing is unlike 3, the drama isn't a dark cloud hanging over the movie, it butts in when you need a break from the hijinks with a punch.

My biggest criticism of the movie was Buzz. He was very strangely written. It's like he was the Buzz we would've saw if the cameras were rolling immediately after 1, still reeling from his time thinking he was a space ranger trying to adjust to toy life. They clearly were trying to make him funny and interesting again after he was mostly a doormat in 3, but it just didn't work. They've struggled in keeping Buzz fun after his funny presence in 1 was gone, and it reeeeaally caught up to them in this movie.

It was like a 7/10. Pretty good if a bit frenetic, good amount of laughs, Buzz was weird.

But as others have said, it's unfortunate it came at the expense of the supporting case who were sidelined the entire adventure.

This was exactly what I was looking for in the movie tbh. I really didn't want another super-toy gang after 2 and 3.
Though I guess in 4 there was a decently large group toward the end anyway.

Last edited:

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still processing the movie, but I think it's going to rank on the lower end of the series for me. The first third of the film languishes with the tiresome Forky "I'm trash!" gags, while the turnaround of some of the character motivations and their resolutions feel a tad too quick and forced toward the latter half. In the end, it's a solid animated movie, but as a main entry in the numbered Toy Story series, it falls a bit short of expectations.

What I do love is how LOADED the film is with Easter eggs. My personal faves include:

- The Battesaurs lunch box, referencing the "Toy Story That Time Forgot" television special.

- The cameo appearance of "Tin Toy" from the Pixar short when they enter the pinball machine.

- The Tripledent Gum sign in the antique store, referencing Inside Out.

- The family stops to eat at Poultry Palace, the restaurant featured in the Toy Story Toons short "Small Fry."

- The grape soda bottle cap badge featured in "Up", which Bo's sheep find during their scavenging.

- Combat Carl makes an appearance, who was originally featured in the television special "Toy Story of Terror" -- though I suppose this would be a different Carl than the previous one since Woody doesn't seem to acknowledge that they met before. (And it's definitely a different one from the one Sid blew up in the first Toy Story via firecracker.)

But my absolute favorite gag is the Keanu Reeves meta-joke toward the end. You'll know it when you see it. :)

You missed Boo from Monsters Inc making a cameo twice. I didn't catch it myself my little brother pointed it out!

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
Got back from watching it. I'm still processing the ending and the more I think about it, the more I love it. I kept hearing 'God Only Knows' in my mind and thought it was pretty apt for the trailers.....

I really liked the film overall, and I put it on par with 3, but below 1 and 2. My critiqued is how they treat the entire Bonnie crew, especially Buzz. The pacing felt very quick and the jokes, while mostly funny, kind of lagged at times.

Apr 19, 2018
You missed Boo from Monsters Inc making a cameo twice. I didn't catch it myself my little brother pointed it out!

Nice, I'm going to have to look out for her the next time.

I'm also going to say that it's not a bad idea to watch the various Toy Story Toons shorts and the two television specials ("Toy Story of Terror" and "Toy Story That Time Forgot") before jumping into the new movie. They're excellent watches in their own right, but more crucially, they establish Bonnie's budding relationship with the toys; something that's glossed over much too quickly in an all-too-brief montage at the beginning of TS4.

RadiantDan

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan
It was okay. I didn't like the sidelining of the old characters. Also it doesn't change location as much as the previous films, and the setting that most of the movie takes place in isn't that interesting, leaving the sense of adventure diminished some.