• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
b98dfa1bed4441de0432713cebf53076.jpg

Should have been the story tbh

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Looks great! Those teasers were awful, but I can get behind this trailer. Interesting aspect with the suicidal spork! haha

Although definitely some rehash going on with the whole evil toys. Should still be fun

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that it has an happy ending. Otherwise it would be sad that it ends this way. I saw three with my nephews in the movie theater and that was already hard enough.
I expect it to be similar to TS3 in that it will be bitter sweet. It was nice that the toys were being handed off to be played with by a new owner but sad to see Andy go, that kind of a thing.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Looks great! Tho it seems to be the same plot we have seen on the last 3 movies, but then again, what else they can do at this point? Still this feels like the most unecessary sequel ever but screw it, I'm in!

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
So we get another retread of the same "I want a new life oh wait never mind, my old life was just fine" story? That's a shame. I would have liked to see more of the human side that they've gotten away from more and more with each movie. Heck, they could have brought back Sid as somebody who blames toys for his mental breakdown.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Eh, Forky is bit of a interesting character, but I am not feeling the fair setting and Bo Peep. So yeah, not excited that much.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
So we get another retread of the same "I want a new life oh wait never mind, my old life was just fine" story? That's a shame. I would have liked to see more of the human side that they've gotten away from more and more with each movie. Heck, they could have brought back Sid as somebody who blames toys for his mental breakdown.
We don't know that that same story is gonna end the same way this time, though. The Hanks quote kind of makes it sound like Woody might not go back this time, and the theme seems to be having a greater purpose outside of just being someone's toy.

Also they already brought back Sid in TS3 :p

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
We don't know that that same story is gonna end the same way this time, though. The Hanks quote kind of makes it sound like Woody might not go back this time, and the theme seems to be having a greater purpose outside of just being someone's toy.

Also they already brought back Sid in TS3 :p
Wait how did they bring him back in TS3? I don't remember that at all.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer kinda... reveals everything? Maybe they are planning something grand that wasn't revealed by the trailer and I'm just overthinking.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this just Toy Story 1+2 again?

Anyway looks alright but unfortunately it didn't really grab me like other recent trailers.

I'll say Forkey will be interesting depending on what they do with his character.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
Oh God, what is wrong with me? I... I just don't care about this movie.

I don't hate it. I actually like the idea of Bo Peep possibly taking a darker route. But for some reason the movie just does nothing for me. I might get my gf's 3 year old into the older movies and take her to see 4, but I just felt nothing at all watching this trailer. No nostalgia, no sort of ire. Just a "meh" with a hint of "ugh".

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Toy Story should probably end if/when Woody leaves the group. I don't think the films work without the Woody/Buzz dynamic, and I would hope Pixar knows that too.
Yeah if they make more Toy Story movies without Woody/with an incomplete gang, I'd prefer they just focus on an entirely different group of toys.

I don't like how radically changed Bo Peep is. This isn't even the same character.
That's like literally the entire point of the movie and her story in the movie

Oh God, what is wrong with me? I... I just don't care about this movie.

I don't hate it. I actually like the idea of Bo Peep possibly taking a darker route. But for some reason the movie just does nothing for me. I might get my gf's 3 year old into the older movies and take her to see 4, but I just felt nothing at all watching this trailer. No nostalgia, no sort of ire. Just a "meh" with a hint of "ugh".
Why do you need to go through a bunch of hoops to get other people into the franchise to go see it? Either don't if you don't want to, or do if you do? Or do you not like seeing movies alone? (not anything wrong with that and not judging you if you are or aren't)

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I thought that looked very good. It may not reach the heights of some of the other entries, but it looks like it'll be very worthwhile.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this movie is finally going to tackle the Toy Story question I've been asking for ages: when is the exact moment a toy gets a soul? Are they alive in the store? Is a toy endowed with a soul the moment a child first touches them and makes a connection? Does EVERY toy of the same type start with the exact same "soul" and then develop further via their experiences with humans?

The existential questions drawn by the idea that some toys are 'active' and others are inert is honestly something I've been wondering since I was a little kid.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's the first of the promo material that's really grabbed me. I'd be surprised if it's as good as TS3 but I'm still looking forward to it.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
"Forky is the most important toy in the world right now to Bonnie! We have to make sure nothing happens to him!"

Give me a break, this sounds incredibly stupid.

And then there's Tim 'compares himself to Anne Frank' Allen with his stink on the movie.

Not feeling the trailer at all and the heavily retreaded premise, should have just stopped with 3.

Last edited:

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
I wonder if grown up Andy is gonna appear somehow. Visiting the fair or something and finding it's actual former toys there. The feelings would reach extremes if that happens.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I was just talking about this with some of the staff and figured I would bring it up here. I've been thinking about this trailer a lot.

The emotional poignancy and weight throughout the series has always been predicated on the idea of a universal purpose and sense of belonging for toys.The pathos in every movie surrounds a toy just wanting to connect with and be played with by a child. Their entire purpose is to be owned and singularly beloved. This characterizes everything that a toy wants and what motivates them. Through this frame of reference we have had three very moving stories about characters finding meaning and satisfaction through ownership.

This trailer throws all of that in to question. Toy Story 4 seems to ask "what if toys didn't care about that and were happier without it?" This is a bold and daring direction to take the series but it also jeopardizes everything that makes the original movies work so well. This shift threatens to undermine all of the Toy Story movies and render them, essentially, thematically unwatchable.

If ownership and play are no longer universally valuable to the existential perspective of a toy, then Toy Story 1-3 are heavily decontextualized. It means that everything the cast has endured until now was against their best interests. It means they have been living and feeling and pining within restrictive and oppressive confines detrimental to their self-actualization. Rewatching the first three movies would come with the burden of knowing everything the characters want and believe in them is ultimately wrong.

So I really have no idea what to expect from this movie. What is the final journey for a toy? For the first three movies to work, we as an audience must vicariously value the comfort of ownership the way a toy does. We have to relate to the world the way they do or else nothing the toys want and strive for would make sense. If that changes, this fundamentally changes the drama of the first three movies, and that's a lot for me to think about.

It seems unrealistic to think this movie will "free Woody" to live outside normal toy institutions. This would frame all the toys who stay behind as some sort of prisoners. They could frame it as some sort of choice - where some toys prefer to be free and other prefer to be servants - but I don't know if I can suspend my disbelief that both of these options would be equally valid and appealing. The other option is that the movie dismantles Bo-Peep's worldview, which seems regressive in its own right, and I don't think the movie will be anti-liberation.

It's just a lot to think about. This is probably the most I've thought about a movie trailer ever. If this movie is good then great. But if this movie is bad it's going to change the way the entire series works.

Last edited:

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this movie is finally going to tackle the Toy Story question I've been asking for ages: when is the exact moment a toy gets a soul? Are they alive in the store? Is a toy endowed with a soul the moment a child first touches them and makes a connection? Does EVERY toy of the same type start with the exact same "soul" and then develop further via their experiences with humans?

The existential questions drawn by the idea that some toys are 'active' and others are inert is honestly something I've been wondering since I was a little kid.
I think that once a toy is "built" it gains sentience? Because the Buzz Lightyears in Al's Toy Barn are alive in their packages (hyper sleep) when Buzz wakes them up, specifically the one wearing the belt he tries to steal. Also all the Barbies and Kens are having a grand old time partying down and they're all, as far as we know, new toys that hadn't been owned or played with.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a rehash of all three combined into one.

The premise on paper is still really exciting and I trust Pixar to deliver (it was all hands on deck for this one), but the marketing of this movie has been bleh.

EasyRoad

Oct 25, 2017
I got teary watching this trailer. God damn it.

Now I'm dreading the wreck I'll be while watching this

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
They shouldn't have made this.

I kid you not, I'd rather see Aladdin first at this point.

I'm sure Toy Story 4 will be good, but hilariously unnecessary. Toy Story 3 was near perfection.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
That thumbnail dummies.... my nightmare
Some kids are gonna be scarred for life by these dummies, hah.
Looks fine but still zero excitement for me.
I'm an adult and they already freak me out, lol
Why did they have to turn this into a horror film?! Those dummies! ;_;

Like, seriously, I'm sure the people at Pixar just think it'll be a "fun" kind of horror that people will love, and I'm sure some will feel that way, but as someone who is terrified of certain kinds of puppets/dummies, I sure as shit ain't seeing the movie in theaters now. The fact Pixar's movies have been on a heavy decline for a decade now just further convinces me not to bother with this movie.

I already was not the biggest fan of Woody's look for the Round Up Woody tv show, and the baby doll in Toy Story 3, but those dummies are straight "nope" material for me. I'm a wuss, lol.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
While Pixar is known for not-so-great trailers and I did feel that 3 was the perfect ending for the series, I'm still there Day 1. Of all their properties, I don't see them making another Toy Story if they didn't feel like they could bring something worthwhile out of it. The animation here is incredible and I'm certain it'll have the same emotional hit all the others have had for me. Can't wait.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Like, seriously, I'm sure the people at Pixar just think it'll be a "fun" kind of horror that people will love, and I'm sure some will feel that way, but as someone who is terrified of certain kinds of puppets/dummies, I sure as shit ain't seeing the movie in theaters now.
Oh no they don't do it for funsies they intentionally make them frightening. The director of Toy Story 3 is a *massive* fan of The Shining, for example, and for Cars 2 they wrote the script as if it were a legit spy movie and not one for kids (which is why there's on-screen torture and murder throughout it). There's not a friggin' chance they put that goddamn cymbal monkey in TS3 thinking it was just a fun silly scare lmao that son of a bitch is legitimately terrifying

Edit: There seems to be a lot of misconceptions on this board about exactly how and why Pixar make the movie choices they do lol

Last edited:

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see this one. Haters are going to hate. Also can't wait till it gets a 98 on RT.