• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Like the film.... I thought it was... fine, wasn't bad or anything, but eh. I didn't think it needed to exist, Toy Story 3 was definitely the better film to end on than this one was. I think 1-3 told a grander story about Woody's relationship with Andy and this movie is just.... He reunites with Bo Peep who we honestly barely saw him in the first two movies.

I don't know, I don't hate the film, I just don't love it and it's probably my least favorite of all the Toy Story films. Do you agree or disagree?

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I just look at the sequels to Toy Story as additional episodes to a TV series at this point. (and most Pixar sequels going forward)

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The trilogy are perfect. I like the 4th. Well happily watch it and have done funnily enough twice today as my son likes it. Watching the new lion king. Unnecessary but bloody brilliant. It's a great remake.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
It was kind of sad TBH and not the normal Pixar tug-at-the-heartstrings kind of way but a more lonely and depressing sad.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
It felt more like an epilogue than a part four. Wasn't a fan of how it continued the third movie's perfect ending though. Bonnie neglecting Woody was unnecessary and really ruins the magic of the thirds ending.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I really disliked how they dumbed down Buzz to a character that "needs to listen to his inner voice." In general, outside of Woody, I felt the cast was poorly utilized.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Honestly, I liked it more than 3. There was something really satisfying about the end to Woody's arc that I really resonated with, and I liked the focus on new characters over the old ensemble. It plays more like a spin-off than a sequel, and I'm okay with that.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
It works really well as an Epilogue, I enjoyed it (and cried). But yeah it should have just ended at 3.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
"I didn't want it" =/= Unnecessary.

It's a good movie with a solid story and themes. That alone justifies it. Saw with my kids and they loved it. Kids in general enjoying it further justifies it.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Toy Story 4 works, for me, as a strong epilogue. It isn't needed, as the story was over with 3, but it doesn't hurt 3 and it's a nice story in and of itself.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Yea I felt exactly the same. I felt it didn't add anything and took away from the great conclusion from 3. It was a fine film, but it didn't add to the series anything meaningful.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like the film.... I thought it was... fine, wasn't bad or anything, but eh. I didn't think it needed to exist, Toy Story 3 was definitely the better film to end on than this one was. I think 1-3 told a grander story about Woody's relationship with Andy and this movie is just.... He reunites with Bo Peep who we honestly barely saw him in the first two movies.

I don't know, I don't hate the film, I just don't love it and it's probably my least favorite of all the Toy Story films. Do you agree or disagree?
I enjoyed it and thought that it was the 2nd best movie in the franchise; Forky was too good. It would've been cool if Toy Story 3 ended with Andy keeping the toys and giving them to his children years later, that would've been ideal for me.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I agree. I enjoyed it a lot, but I expected something... more? TS3 was a lot more satisfying imo, and I disliked the credits scenes in TS4 compared to those of TS3.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the only times I agree with this statement. It really was meh. I'm surprised by how positive it reviewed. It was good, but not Toy Story good.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I get what people are saying about it being an unnecessary sequel if you look at Toy Story as a continuing story line but at it's core the film is really about what it's like to be a parent which the other films weren't. It doesn't seem unnecessary based on that alone.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's just... when I have my closure with something... like I did with Star Wars for ROTJ.... I move on.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was kinda like El Camino. A nice epilogue for part of the story that didn't get one in the "real" ending.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So what makes a film necessary? Seems like a weird complaint to have.

"I liked it, but did we really need it?" Do we need any sequel, or film, at all?

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I actually just watched it very recently, and I was expecting to go onto it with of the mind that it was necessary... but honestly? I thought it was fine as an ending to Woody's character.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really boring. Almost wanted to shut it off early on. The ending was predictable when the first 5min of the movie established Bonnie had no interest in Woody anymore. I'm not even sure what message they were going for. It even completely fucks over the ending of 3 because now Andy gave away his priceless family toy for nothing.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Not a bad movie but it just didn't do anything for me by the end because I had basically already made my peace with the franchise with the third one.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017

You're not!

Toy Story 2 is widely seen as one of the best sequels ever. For me, 3 retrod a lot of the same thematic ground as 2, but less subtly. The Lotso heel turn is just a replay of Stinky Pete. Spanish Buzz is a less humourous replay of store Buzz in 2. After 2 expertly expanded the scope of the story and world, 3 shrinks things back down to a pastiche of The Great Escape in a daycare centre. The film is generally overly sappy and melodramatic, with the incinerator scene feeling tonally out of place. I will say that the very end with Andy handing over the toys was perfectly executed, though.

Toy Story 4 finally restores some of the adventurous, globetrotting feeling that 2 tantalisingly hinted at, taking the toys further out into a large world. Woody's arc is so good and underlines how far he has come since the first movie. There are fresh ideas with the lost toys angle and Gabby Gabby. The only major flaw I can point to in 4 is Buzz's regression, but even with that it is a much more nourishing and novel sequel than 3 for me. And I still think 3 is good!

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
That's even more unnecessary in my opinion...

Believe it or not... they found the animation of the original a bit dated when they watched it.
I was so sad, that they did not like my favourite (kids) movie of all time haha.

Saying that, they were young back then. Recently they been watching the other classics such as mulan, tarzan etc and love it.