• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018

In April of this year, former late night host Jay Leno visited NBCUniversal in Los Angeles to appear as a guest judge on the network's unscripted program "America's Got Talent," a variety show that seeks out undiscovered musicians, performers and other quirky artists.

nup_188037_3366.jpg

While taping, Leno made a crack about a painting on display in a hallway of Simon Cowell, the show's executive producer and judge, surrounded by his dogs. Leno joked that the pets looked like something one would find "on the menu at a Korean restaurant," four people present for the taping told Variety.

Individuals at the long-running program found the joke to be offensive — especially for what one insider described as "the very few Asian staffers" employed by the show, one of whom was present when Leno spoke the line directly to camera. The joke was viewed as perpetuating stereotypes about Asian cultures consuming dog meat.

[Gabrielle] Union, a new hire for the 14th season of "America's Got Talent," urged producers to report the joke to human resources at NBC, multiple insiders familiar with the show said. Her argument was that production needed to understand why the joke might offend the staff and audience of "AGT," according to three people who overheard conversations with Union and producers. The issue of reporting to human resources was specifically raised with an NBC executive on set, but several insiders said it was never escalated to that department.

The line was cut from the episode when it eventually aired on August 6.

However, the Leno incident is one of several examples of what insiders called a toxic culture at the show. The season concluded with NBC deciding not to renew the contracts of Union and [Julianne] Hough, sources said, both of whom could have been renewed for another season under their contractual options.

Union was subjected to a very specific critique — that her rotating hair styles were "too black" for the audience of "AGT," a note she received over half a dozen times, according to four sources with direct knowledge of the exchanges who spoke on the condition of anonymity. One network insider disputed the volume of notes, saying there was only feedback about hair continuity for both judges.

Sources also shared a related incident that occurred during another audition taping this season, where Union and other staffers expressed concerns over a white male performer crossing a line in portraying people of color. The contestant's gimmick involved rapid costume changes inside a larger garment, while impersonating a multitude of famous singers. In one such quick change, the contestant emerged in the guise of Beyoncé Knowles. His hands appeared as black, meant to be a character accent, three witnesses to the audition said.

Union immediately recommended to a segment producer and an executive producer that the contestant be removed from the lineup, sources said, adding that the producers disagreed and used a familiar refrain heard on the "AGT" set: "We'll take it out later."

Two insiders familiar with the set said [Julianne] Hough had received consistent criticism on hair, makeup and wardrobe, which impacted her morale and led to tensions. Hough denied this in a statement to Variety as not accurate to her experience.

"I had a wonderful time on 'America's Got Talent,' I loved working with the cast, crew and producers. I am happy to continue my working relationship with NBC," she said. She also expressed excitement for two upcoming NBC shows she'll be featured in, "Holidays With the Houghs," costarring her brother Derek, and "Christmas in Rockefeller Center" in December. "I'm looking forward to what the future holds," she added.

Following news of their departure, speculation began almost immediately about the nature of the cast decisions. Entertainment writer B. Scott reported over the weekend that Union had taken issue with "problematic" situations and was terminated as a result. An NBC insider reiterated an assertion from Variety's report that hosts are rotated in and out with options to return.

More at the link.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The behind the scenes stuff at talent shows in general is extremely toxic and manipulative. I personally know somebody who (for a different show in a different country) was set on becoming a contestant for the live shows, then was practically mobbed because this person didn't want to use a specific personal tragedy in the family to boost her story. They kept this person around until late night only to ultimately getting sent away with some made-up reasoning. It's really horrible.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Leno performs stand-up every night. You'd think he wouldn't have to resort to a hack racial stereotype joke like that. Like if you're gonna be shitting and lean into stereotypes at least craft a more original take. Better yet, ridicule Simon for having that painting WITHOUT racial stereotypes. If you can get a laugh doing that, to me that is a stronger indicator of comedic talent.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
My group was recruited by a producer to perform on the show. We were told what to wear, how to dress, even what routine to perform. And that's a typical experience. Yeah, there are the people that actually wait in line to audition, but the show is full of "ringers", or acts that are already performing and touring.

Anyway, beyond that, our routine was a fairly complex percussion and choreography number. And half of our 8 performers were women. Howie took multiple shots at that, saying that a thing like that should be done by "big, 250 pound Polynesian guys, not 100 pound girls"

Tldr, the show is fake and Howie is a dick

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Ha! I remember how here in Spain that program tried to 'invite' a couple of popular comedians already working on TV shows as if they were unknowns and promising to give them a great boost for their career. I don't believe 90% of these shows.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Leno doesn't want to tell political jokes because it might oust him as a republican piece of shit, but has no problems telling racially insensitive jokes. If this blows up I bet he'll blame SJW culture for being too sensitive. Watch comedians circle the wagons and come out and show support like that guy SNL almost hired.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
Union was subjected to a very specific critique — that her rotating hair styles were "too black" for the audience of "AGT," a note she received over half a dozen times, according to four sources with direct knowledge of the exchanges who spoke on the condition of anonymity. One network insider disputed the volume of notes, saying there was only feedback about hair continuity for both judges.

Fuck those pricks.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
Leno doesn't want to tell political jokes because it might oust him as a republican piece of shit, but has no problems telling racially insensitive jokes. If this blows up I bet he'll blame SJW culture for being too sensitive. Watch comedians circle the wagons and come out and show support like that guy SNL almost hired.

Leno told endless Bush jokes when he was president. He might well be Republican but you are reaching.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
This story about the racism has been bubbling up in twitter world for a few days since Union's exit was a headscratcher, nice to see Variety tackle it.

Seems about on brand for a show calling itself 'America's Got Talent' for racism to be one of the talents on display (shouts to Cowell for giving a British edge to it, we learned it from watching you) and holy fucking shit at complaining about 'black' hairstyles in 2019. It makes me wonder what kind of heart attacks studio execs must have had during Beyonce superbowl performance, lol.

Also, I feel bad for Hough who's stuck in a rock and a hard place, i dunno if id have the balls either to throw my former bosses under the bus when ive got two big gigs coming from the same org, you cosign the abuse you most likely loose those gigs if they are so non-self aware they are still pulling shit like this off.

Last edited:

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Actually cringed when I read that Leno "joke." What a hack.

Two insiders familiar with the set said [Julianne] Hough had received consistent criticism on hair, makeup and wardrobe, which impacted her morale and led to tensions. Hough denied this in a statement to Variety as not accurate to her experience.

"I had a wonderful time on 'America's Got Talent,' I loved working with the cast, crew and producers. I am happy to continue my working relationship with NBC," she said. She also expressed excitement for two upcoming NBC shows she'll be featured in, "Holidays With the Houghs," costarring her brother Derek, and "Christmas in Rockefeller Center" in December. "I'm looking forward to what the future holds," she added.
Not saying she's lying, but of course she's not going to badmouth her employers when she's already got another job lined up with them.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Wow my naive ass read the title thinking the colour tone of her hair was too dark. I had to read the article to really understand it was actually some racist bullshit.

MorningDew

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to see pictures of Gabrielle's hairstyles that were considered to be too black. What were they? Corn rows? Afro? She looks to be a very classy lady and I have to think that anything she does will be stylish and tasteful. Variety is the spice of life.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Rationalising a racist joke
Leno's joke is stupid, but Korea literally has dog farms that they slaughter for meat.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
nup_188037_3366.jpg

These people look absolutely fucking detestable

...aside from the grossness of judging people based on how they look (not seeing the "detestable" quality here, but whatever), no one in the picture is involved in the toxic culture of the article. Union actively fought against it, and Hough was constantly badgered by production about every little thing, which seems to lead to her own departure. Where's the detestable stuff coming from?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man you've got to be on some real racist shit to take issue with Gabrielle Union's appearance of all things. Of course, she was really fired just for standing up for minorities behind the scenes

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Translation - "Everything you heard was true, it was a miserable experience, but I want to continue getting work so fuck it."

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My group was recruited by a producer to perform on the show. We were told what to wear, how to dress, even what routine to perform. And that's a typical experience. Yeah, there are the people that actually wait in line to audition, but the show is full of "ringers", or acts that are already performing and touring.

Anyway, beyond that, our routine was a fairly complex percussion and choreography number. And half of our 8 performers were women. Howie took multiple shots at that, saying that a thing like that should be done by "big, 250 pound Polynesian guys, not 100 pound girls"

Tldr, the show is fake and Howie is a dick
Haha wow. Why people support and stand behind this shit I'll never understand.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I feel really dumb that my first thought about Gabrielle's hair being too black meant the actual color of her hair was literally too black to be picked up by the cameras and that the viewers couldn't see her hair. Then I realized what they actually meant when I read the article.

Samara

Oct 25, 2017
Québec
They're kicking two hosts out?!

Gabrielle's hair has become too black.. . Ok was that a problem with Mel B or is it because she has afro centric hairstyle 🤔

Julianne, Terry and Gabrielle were great additions to the show. Smh

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Question about Union: was she harassed for hair or hair AND clothes? Because she has a clothing line and everything she wore immediately sold on the site. So I'm wondering if behind the racism, itd also because of the clothes money.

Source: I stan her clothes and the store