• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
If only they were stealing the sea water, we could have reversed the rising ocean levels!

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
They probably were into some Pablo Escobar shit. The river beach on his house was paved with sand from a famous beach, can't recall the place.

Still, the jail time sounds harsh given the crime was not fully realized.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
They probably were into some Pablo Escobar shit. The river beach on his house was paved with sand from a famous beach, can't recall the place.

"Up to 6 years" not 6 years that's just the maximum penalty for the crime not what they will actually get

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harsh jail sentences for something like this I don't support but understand from Sardinia's perspective, they were clearly stealing the sand to sell it, Sardinia wants to protect its environment and harsh sentences like this are a deterrent of future theft to others. It's fucked up but you should be aware of the laws of the country you're visiting.

You visit another country you play by their rules, there's a reason you'd be absolutely insane to try and smuggle drugs in or out of Singapore for example.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017

6 years is for the thieves that drives up with a dump truck and take away that amount of sand. Which has actually happened before. I'd be surprised if they get 1 year. The law says 1 to 6 years. It's based on a gradual scale in proportion to the severity of the theft and repeat offenders.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, relax.
They're not actually getting 6 years, 6 years is just the max range of the crime - which is "stealing goods destined for public use".
They'll get a fine, and maybe a few months of jail - which they won't serve, because Italian Law doesn't make first-time offenders of non-violent crimes serve sentences under 3-5 years.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I was thinking like a handful or something. That's a lot lol, can see why they mad. Cant have everyone doing that shit. but a steep fine would be enough

Oct 27, 2017
How anyone can justify 40KG of sand as a souvenir is beyond me.

iu

This is a picture from the police.

Sardinia's main attraction for tourism are their beaches so it has a direct knock on effect. The time for the crime is high because it wants to deter folks from even contemplating it in the first place.
Honestly that's pretty cool looking sand, coarse, looks like beads or something.

People shouldn't take it though, especially when there's signs (I assume there's signs?) telling people not to take it

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Still not getting why they were taking that much sand as a "souvenir". Could they sell that sand for a lot?

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if people here would be so blasé if they were snapping off 40kg of coral from the Great Barrier Reef.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
The sentence is clearly aimed at discouraging this type of behaviour from everyone else. This is a preventative measure to protect the beach and i reckon the sentence is just fine. Those people deliberately and knowingly committed a crime, chances of them serving the full sentence are slim but it will def act as a deterrent.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That sand looks pretty nice. Can't blame them for trying to seas the opportunity.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Sand's an extremely valuable limited resource, enough so that you have giant cartels stealing sand for construction projects.

40kg isn't some sand baron level, but I can understand the law knowing how precious sand is ecologically and commercially.

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Six years is excessive. Fine them. Put it back. Force them to do community service for the region they stole it from. That's my take.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
People also risk fines of up to €3,000 (£2,700), but police struggle to apply the penalties due to most culprits being visitors.

"When those responsible for these episodes are foreigners, it is difficult to collect the fines," Antonio Casula, the chief of Sardinia's forest rangers, told La Stampa, adding that the incidents were becoming more frequent.

"but just slap a fine on and be done with it"

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell were they planning to do with that much sand? Sell it? Eat it? Have sex with it?

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Dude. Have some perspective. It's sand. Not worth 6 years in jail.
88 pounds of it. In Bermuda pink sand is the result of the creature living in a calcified red shell dying and mixing with the actual sand. In other places it may be a result of different processes but my point is it's likely unique to the area and in limited quantity. In your head it's not a serious offense but you don't know the value nor are you in any position to assign a value to protecting the integrity of the beach.

Edit: It's not pink sand but that's irrelevant to the point I was making with the last sentence.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you gotta just take a little bit at a time and replace it with bleached great lakes sand, this is sand skimming 101. no sympathy for these amateurs.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*parks Jeep liberty*
*walks up to pristine white beach in "sand fanatic" tshirt*
*opens trunk revealing several large Tupperware totes*

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
Fuck 'em. Same level as going to Goblin Valley in Utah and kicking over a perched rock. Willful destruction of a natural resource.

Jan 13, 2018
According to the article, in this case fines don't work because...

from OP's article said:
"When those responsible for these episodes are foreigners, it is difficult to collect the fines," Antonio Casula, the chief of Sardinia's forest rangers, told La Stampa

Six years, tho... 😬

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
i mean the sand there is a public natural resource/asset, so yeah it's stealing and if you taking 40kg worth you know exactly what you are doing, can't feign ignorance. I thought this was maybe just a little bit like in a pouch or something but nope lol.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
If this is a longstanding problem with the area than yeah punish them for it.
6 years in jail for that though? That's absolutely ridiculous.

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
one persone does, two people do it, four people do it, 10 people do it

if anybody can steal large quantities of sand, that is considered BEACH THEFT which is an actual crime

That doesn't answer the question.

If the punishment fits the crime then that will deter people, a harsh fine would have been enough.