• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
slide-2.jpg
Thank you for posting. The "pastors" who do acts like this aren't doing GOD's work. More like Satan's.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legit question for American peeps : why are such wackos allowed to be pastors? Why aren't qualified/sane people in charge?

Because the people who came here and populated the place were the ones kicked out of Europe for being too crazy. The ones who see "come work on the glorious outworld colonies" propaganda in dystopian sci-fi movies and think that's a great idea. The people who are very interested in that bridge you are selling.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The church that my mom goes to shut down. The pastor has been doing video sermons on Sunday mornings.

I'm just glad he's not totally insane like this asshole.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Protestants. Specifically of the varieties that the majority of Europe deemed Heretical due to their absolutely Batshit Insane theological stances - England and France elected to exile such groups to the Americas (and/or South Africa and Australia in Britain's case) to pad their colonial population, whilst the Holy Roman Empire and Spain took more drastic measures, for better or worse.

The extremity of such particular heresies has only festered in the centuries since.

Well that's the general gist of it that I'm aware of. If anyone has more/better info to add, feel free to correct me.
The thing is, not really. The branches that these people are usually descended from are Baptists, Pentecostals, and the like, i.e. people who were themselves exiled from New England due to being too moderate for the Puritans, whose own descendants are more likely to take this deadly seriously. One thing these groups do tend to have in common, however, is splitting with their mainline denominations over the issues of slavery and civil rights, even if they hide that history these days.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Their website has a "donate a plane" option under the "invest" drop down.

Without looking further I'm going to randomly guess that this is either an ultra Pentecostal or Prosperity Gospel church.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The confirmation bias of the church is its deadliest weapon.

"Come in here (with 10% of your earnings) and jesus will protect you. If you live, it's because Jesus protected you. If you die, it's also because Jesus protected you.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Pastor boasted his place was white-glove clean, saying, "We brought in 13 machines that basically kill every virus in the place, and uh, if somebody walks through the door it's like, it kills everything on them. If they sneeze, it shoots it down at like 100 mph. It'll neutralize it in split seconds. We have the most sterile building in, I don't know, all of America."
what in the ever loving shit is he blabbering about?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm the Bible is pretty explicit about people dying from disease requiring personal and specific help and intercession from Jesus, not his enthusiasts.

There's also various instructions about cleanliness and disease as well as admonitions to not trivialize or rely on God to do everything for you.

Jesus is all about common sense in life and government too:

Matthew 12:11 is about not simply waiting for God to fix your problems:

Then He said to them, "What man is there among you who has one sheep, and if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will not lay hold of it and lift it out?

And Leviticus even advises 14 day self quarantine.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just another local branch of the GOP/jeebus death cult.

If you want to seal the roads coming out of any state, start with this one.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There was a Russian lady on BBC News who said you couldn't catch it in church as she was walking in, she was a doctor. The reporter almost facepalmed after the report.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The term "social distancing" should be changed though. We shouldn't be isolating from others, as technology allows us some degree of social interaction, even during quarantine. It should be rebranded as physical distancing.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-pack-in-crowds-amid-covid-19-warning-flares

Congregants of megachurches in Louisiana, Ohio and Florida attended services in defiance of social distancing orders on Sunday morning, even as politicians and doctors took to weekly news shows to warn of coronavirus's spread in the U.S.
In Louisiana, which has seen a spike in cases and has a shelter-in-place order, the Life Tabernacle Church in the town of Central held services at 10 a.m. More than 550 parishioners attended, about half as many as the week before, pastor Tony Spell told a local news reporter.
-----------------------------
Pastor Spell told local news outlet NBC15 earlier this month that he didn't believe his congregation was in danger of infection. "It's not a concern," he said. "The virus, we believe, is politically motivated. We hold our religious rights dear and we are going to assemble no matter what someone says." The church did not respond to request for comment.
The River Church in Tampa, Florida, also held services this Sunday. Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne posted a livestream of the services on YouTube, showing the sizable crowd. Howard-Browne said attendees were practicing "social distancing, or whatever" though the crowd appeared to be dense.
"We are not a non-essential service," Howard-Browne said during the service. "You're probably going to get infected at some other place, not here."
The pastor condemned scientific reports about the virus and said that the pandemic was of less concern than the flu, a view that medical experts have disputed. The church did not respond to a request for comment.

Solid Rock Church in Lebanon, Ohio, with 3,500 members by one recent count, held services Sunday in defiance of a letter from the local health department urging it not to meet, according to a local news report. The church, in a statement, cited its first amendment right to religious assembly.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
He and his wife founded their own church. So they kinda decide who is in charge.

Now how come people are allowed to just "found their own church" is a mystery to me. Something something freedom of speach
Still first amendment but freedom of religion and the establishment clause. The US was founded by religious deviants and thus doesn't want anyone in charge of deciding what's a legit religion and what's not.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this actually happened a few miles away from me in Louisiana, too... :|

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Wait what? I thought we had a Federal ban on assembly of more than 10 people.. Guess thats just my state

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
A virus is an inefficient way to kill yourself. These people should consider more expedient methods if they're so desperate to meet their imaginary daddy.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
As a religious person, this is so stupid. I'm sure God is okay with people staying home and safe. Things like this can only make things worse.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Protestants. Specifically of the varieties that the majority of Europe deemed Heretical due to their absolutely Batshit Insane theological stances - England and France elected to exile such groups to the Americas (and/or South Africa and Australia in Britain's case) to pad their colonial population, whilst the Holy Roman Empire and Spain took more drastic measures, for better or worse.

The extremity of such particular heresies has only festered in the centuries since.

Well that's the general gist of it that I'm aware of. If anyone has more/better info to add, feel free to correct me.

Ah yes, because there has certainly never been any of these kind of issues in Roman Catholicism. Nope. Definitely never had any sort of mysticism, or reliance on things like holy relics to miraculously heal.

This crazy group of people in Florida has essentially nothing in common with Reformation groups, especially the Puritans and the Huguenots which you seem to be referring to.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Gotta love the option select:
If you survive, it was thanks to your faith
If you die, you will be welcome by the lord

Make it sound like a win/win somehow. These people are idiots, they love their guns too it seems.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
As a religious person, this is so stupid. I'm sure God is okay with people staying home and safe. Things like this can only make things worse.

These are the kind of people think that going to church on Sunday is more important than being alive. They'd rather spread this death and kill untold amounts of people just so they can go every Sunday. They don't fucking care. They are selfish and willfully dangerous pieces of shit.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, a megachurch...

Megachurches are weird
giphy.gif

CraftyClosedCaudata-size_restricted.gif

OJx9vIg.gif

CrispRealisticBorderterrier-small.gif

It's basically a mosh pit in an attempt to attack the pastor so that he may fight you and you'll be healed through combat. It's basically that X-Men plot
aovDZ6D.png

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there are a lot of weird prerequisites that people think are required to make you holier, as though if you're broke and don't travel then you're shit out of luck for getting into heaven, or that the pope gains powers as part of being elected

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
Well, all these imbeciles can just get what's coming to them. Too bad they spread all their virulence, literal and metaphorical, to innocents that don't deserve their putrid vile infection.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
These are the kind of people think that going to church on Sunday is more important than being alive. They'd rather spread this death and kill untold amounts of people just so they can go every Sunday. They don't fucking care. They are selfish and willfully dangerous pieces of shit.
Yeah there are a lot of weird prerequisites that people think are required to make you holier, as though if you're broke and don't travel then you're shit out of luck for getting into heaven, or that the pope gains powers as part of being elected
Yep. There are plenty of other ways of showing your faith other than doing what is proven to harm others. Stuff like this is such a bad idea, especially so when other Churches are doing it online.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If it were just going to hurt the adults attending, I can't say I'd care. Since it's a pandemic and these people will be spreading it, it's not only upsetting, but it's potentially a death sentence for other people. Stupidity knows no bounds.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You can say let them face the consequences but it's baked into their ideology that it strengthens their resolve. The only way is to treat them as terrorists waging viral warfare, if they have no respect for fellow citizens they can all be locked up until they are no longer a threat.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, because there has certainly never been any of these kind of issues in Roman Catholicism. Nope. Definitely never had any sort of mysticism, or reliance on things like holy relics to miraculously heal.

This crazy group of people in Florida has essentially nothing in common with Reformation groups, especially the Puritans and the Huguenots which you seem to be referring to.

I mean just to clarify this even further, this is what Martin Luther had to say when plague broke out in Wittenberg in 1527:

You ought to think this way: "Very well, by God's decree, the enemy has sent us poison and deadly offal. Therefore, I shall ask God mercifully to protect us. Then I shall fumigate, help purify the air, administer medicine, and take it. I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and thus perchance infect and pollute others, and so cause their death as a result of my negligence. If God should wish to take me, he will surely find me and I have done what he has expected of me and so I am not responsible for either my own death or the death of others. If my neighbor needs me, however, I shall not avoid place or person, but will go freely."