• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
Understandable! I'd love to see that represented too, and I have no doubts that a re imagining by CA would be great.
Just for reference, here's a wiki collection / summary of what GW has done for the setting.
https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Araby

GW really cranked up the racist stereortypes to 11 with us huh? Lol. Harems and unimaginable riches yet I cannot even get a date and have barely any money in my pocket :(

CA has said that Araby isn't on plan.
THe big issue is that the content for Araby is very sterotypical (with heavy racist undertones)

personally i'd love to have Araby (hopefully by not using the racist stuff and instead creating something hyperbolic of Muslim culture). CA clearly has the talent for it and in my ignorant opinion, Muslim/arab and other cultures are very rich in mythological stuff that could fit warhammer very well. I also like elephants in the historical titles, so i'll take any excuse to get an army that could use those beautiful animals.

Yeah I hope CA gets a greenlight to revise Araby and put them as an addon, I mean GW doesn't care for the old world in their new merchandise anyway, they just care about Age of Sigmar, so let CA fix Araby. They would fit well with Warhammer 3 if it's focusing on the east too.

Last edited:

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
There's also the issue that when they created the Tomb Kings and their lore, they used that opportunity to reduce Araby to basically a non-entity in the world. Arkhan's undead crusades reduced Araby to a handful of city states on the coast - they don't exist as a functioning unified empire anymore, and they don't have much or if any power.

EDIT: Also, they need a complete and absolute re-write from the ground up. The lore they did have was so ludicrously racist and stereotypical its embarrassing.

" Most Arabyans are shortish and swarthy, with hook noses, and dark hair and eyes. "
" Arabyans have some knowledge of gunpowder weapons, but their religious dogmas prevent them from developing socially and technologically. "
" The war was eventually brought by the knights of the Old World to Araby itself, precipitating the conflicts known as the Crusades, which created many orders of Imperial and Bretonnian chivalry, including the Empire's Knights of the Blazing Sun or the Knights of Magritta "

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
My thought was always that CA didn't get to put Araby in the game in part because GW was redesigning them to some extent as part of The Old World. I think there's every chance we see them at some point.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
There's also the issue that when they created the Tomb Kings and their lore, they used that opportunity to reduce Araby to basically a non-entity in the world. Arkhan's undead crusades reduced Araby to a handful of city states on the coast - they don't exist as a functioning unified empire anymore, and they don't have much or if any power.
personally that sounds like a great premise for a campaign.
These undead invasions , bretonian crusades, skaven incursions have sapped the strength of kingdom of Araby reducing it into a shallow husk. Can you recover the prestige and might of the Araby empire from these trespassers?

Also with wh3 CA can clearly move things around a bit if needed. I personally hope most of the new world get touched a bit so that it doesn't feel as claustrophobic as it did before. Having 2-3 provinces below the current map would be just enough to create space for araby.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think I remember that in "Africa" (South Lands) there were pygmy tribes or something like that.

Warhammer once you left Europe was full of racist stereotypes.

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020

EDIT: Also, they need a complete and absolute re-write from the ground up. The lore they did have was so ludicrously racist and stereotypical its embarrassing.

" Most Arabyans are shortish and swarthy, with hook noses, and dark hair and eyes. "
" Arabyans have some knowledge of gunpowder weapons, but their religious dogmas prevent them from developing socially and technologically. "
" The war was eventually brought by the knights of the Old World to Araby itself, precipitating the conflicts known as the Crusades, which created many orders of Imperial and Bretonnian chivalry, including the Empire's Knights of the Blazing Sun or the Knights of Magritta "

So they just adopted a racist middle age orientalist view of Arabs. WH3 presents an oppurtunity for them to revisit Araby and fix the racist stereotypes. Give them a campaign where they have to reunite and reforge their empire. I would buy it.

personally that sounds like a great premise for a campaign.
These undead invasions , bretonian crusades, skaven incursions have sapped the strength of kingdom of Araby reducing it into a shallow husk. Can you recover the prestige and might of the Araby empire from these trespassers?

Also with wh3 CA can clearly move things around a bit if needed. I personally hope most of the new world get touched a bit so that it doesn't feel as claustrophobic as it did before. Having 2-3 provinces below the current map would be just enough to create space for araby.

That would be a great idea actually.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Play Mortal Empires in TWWH2. It's the best place to start and you're already set!
Download all the free DLC for both, install 2 and play either the Vortex map for a more concise, story drivenish experience or the Mortal Empires map for a huge sandbox game. No need to worry about paid DLC for awhile unless something really catches your eye.
Thanks. I think I'll jump in soon and try not to be too overwhelmed.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
Bougth TWW 1 played like 10hours but got all the dlc/races.
TWW 2 Bought all dlc and played like 6 hours.

Assuming I can use the maps/races from 1/2 in 3, i'll probably be doing the same here.

IDK, I just buy it cause I think it's cool and wish i was good at it lol.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Thanks. I think I'll jump in soon and try not to be too overwhelmed.
I you are new to total war i highly recomend decreasing the dificulty to the lowest option (very easy?). Difficulty in total war is mostly bonus/malus so you get the full experience whatever dificulty you choose.
if you are winning too easy you can always increase dificulty mid campaign

the easiest starts usually are Tyion of the HE and gor rok of the lizardmen.

Bougth TWW 1 played like 10hours but got all the dlc/races.
TWW 2 Bought all dlc and played like 6 hours.

Assuming I can use the maps/races from 1/2 in 3, i'll probably be doing the same here.

IDK, I just buy it cause I think it's cool and wish i was good at it lol.

I'd recommend reducing the dificulty. It is mostly bonus/malus.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
OvN mod adds Araby. Might give you an idea what they'll play/look like.

There is also a fantastic looking Kislev mod, which admittedly dampens my excitement a little. He'll, I think the big daemon guy might be in OvN, too.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
GW are bringing back Fantasy Battle as a new game called The Old World. It looks like they are designing some of it alongside this game. I would not be surprised that they correct the more problematic stereotyping in their fridge lore and fractions in the remaded tabletop game.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
So they just adopted a racist middle age orientalist view of Arabs. WH3 presents an oppurtunity for them to revisit Araby and fix the racist stereotypes. Give them a campaign where they have to reunite and reforge their empire. I would buy it.

That would be a great idea actually.
The Flaming Scimtar is probably the best example of what Araby could like in modern day. I always thought it looked pretty cool.
latest

It's a shame that the lore of the thing is mired in racist stereotypes

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine

There is also a fantastic looking Kislev mod, which admittedly dampens my excitement a little. He'll, I think the big daemon guy might be in OvN, too.

While I love mods (and the TW modding community is second to none) there's just something more to official releases.
Honestly, the things that I'm more hype for are updates to mechanics, to the UI, to diplomacy and those motherfucking SIEGE BATTLES slogs. That's that sort of architecture and foundational work that mods can't really achieve and need to be built from the ground up.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020

From what I remember of that Kislev mod, it looked kinda goofy. The bear riders were retextured demigryphs and looked wonky as hell. Just like that Chaos Daemons mod where the Bloodthirster and Bloodletters were just recolored Beastmen.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way they can use the engine for TK for this game right? They used the Total Warhammer engine for Troy, and it was visually a step back after TK.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
There's no way they can use the engine for TK for this game right? They used the Total Warhammer engine for Troy, and it was visually a step back after TK.
TBF i don't think 3K engine is the right rendering for warhammer. 3k has a very colorful look.
Some Warhammer factions can get really silly with intense bright light like skaven and beastman fur, greenkins armor, some VC units (like ghosts)

THat said i highly disagree that troy looks worse than other game, for me it is prettiest total war, specially the chosen artstyle fits super well. I'd say however that the animations and other stuff clearly show the lower budget/dev time for the game.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
While I love mods (and the TW modding community is second to none) there's just something more to official releases.
Honestly, the things that I'm more hype for are updates to mechanics, to the UI, to diplomacy and those motherfucking SIEGE BATTLES slogs. That's that sort of architecture and foundational work that mods can't really achieve and need to be built from the ground up.
Definitely agree, particularly re: sieges. I do whatever I can to avoid them now.

That being said, I can't play the game without the CTT overhaul now. I'll have to wait to play wh3 until it is implemented. Hopefully they still include workshop support. The overall balance CA has designed just feels off.

RivalCore

Oct 28, 2017
Needless to say I'm hyped as fucked.

Will Ogres make it in the initial release? God I hope so!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"WILL THERE BE A COMBINED MAP FOR OWNERS OF ALL THREE GAMES?
Yes, though currently our focus is on Total War: WARHAMMER III.
We will release a massive combined map that will be a huge free DLC for owners of all three games, and we'll have more detail later.
Note that you will need to own all three parts of the trilogy through a single store front in order to claim this free DLC. Please see above for details. "

Fuck yeah, this is all I needed to hear, hope it isn't too long after launch of 3.
I've never played these games. Is this like Hitman whereby players can play the campaigns of all three games inside the third game?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've never played these games. Is this like Hitman whereby players can play the campaigns of all three games inside the third game?

No, each game has a standalone campaign only playable in that specific game, and a combined map if you own 1 and 2 that has a more free-form structure (Mortal Empires). The campaigns aren't necessarily anything to write home about anyway, there's some fun stuff but gameplay mechanics unique to individual characters are present if you play as them in Mortal Empires as well. The campaigns don't have linear scripted content besides the setup of a few battles.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine

It's kinda it's own thing.
WH1 and 2 have story driven smaller maps where each faction has specific campaigns.
Mortal Empires is a Sandbox mode where you have certain "win conditions" but really you can do whatever the hell you want.

It's safe to assume that WH3 will have a very story driven Chaos vs Kislev & Cathay map for the base game and then an even larger Mortal Empires mode for post release.

Feb 19, 2018
Yeah I hope CA gets a greenlight to revise Araby and put them as an addon, I mean GW doesn't care for the old world in their new merchandise anyway, they just care about Age of Sigmar, so let CA fix Araby. They would fit well with Warhammer 3 if it's focusing on the east too.
Except that Games Workshop does care because they announced that they are rebooting Warhammer Fantasy in late 2019? Have you seen those female royal guards outside the Tsarina's tent and the bear cavalry in the trailer? Both are designs that GW revealed last year for "Warhammer - The Old World", the Ice Guard even back in March.

It's pretty obvious that Games Workshop and Creative Assembly are cooperating heavily with each other to create Kislev and Cathay both for the game AND as future tabletop army releases.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
No Chaos Dwarfs or Ogres, but we get Cathay? Disappointing

Man I really feel the opposite. Ogres and Chaos Dwarves are/were always going to happen. Getting Cathay means there are suddenly all these other possibilities and the world will end up so much bigger. And when those two races come as DLC they'll probably be super well fleshed out and fun. Being later in the DLC cycle is almost always good for something being more unique and well done.

Feb 19, 2018
They can hardly do Kislev and Cathay without the Ogre Kingdoms connecting both on the world map. I'm willing to bet money that they are the Pre-Order faction DLC (a faction DLC was confirmed as the pre-order bonus by CA in their FAQ today).

It would also fit thematically, as the Ogres are a neutral faction that slots in between the 'good' and evil races in the base game and also their WHF tabletop roster is quite small, making it easier to implement them as a smaller faction DLC (Chaos Dwarfs have all sorts of wierd and complicated stuff such as massive railroad cannons, making them more suited for a higher priced faction Expansion a la Tomb Kings).

Last edited:

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Similar in the sense that owning previous game will unlock that content in the next game.

Alongside with what others said i think it is a very different idea because warhammer trilogy is at its core is a "single massive game". Unlike hitman 3 where each game is relatively self contained, here in warhammer each game build on top of the predecessor to continue to expand what exists.

i'll give an example to try and ilustrate what we mean.
Frist take into consideration that each playable faction usually has significant gameplay changes even within the same race. For example Grom's greenskins ar every geared to using goblins while grimgor's greenskins are heavily tailored to boost Orc units.
this is the map for warhammer 1 at launch:
map_1605.jpg

It had 4 playable factions (the top ones that are in bigger fonts)
And this is the map that combines both game 1 (and all of its DLC) and game 2 at its launch
168251695.jpg

It only shows the playable factions . You can see the map of game 1 has completely added a lot of new territory for the west and south.

Game 3 will expand this map further to the east.

If you are curious this is the current maps for game 2 (left map is the combined map; right map is the wh2 unique campaign) with all DLC from game 1 and game 2. Just playable factions
jvf0zwl7ls061.jpg

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Orges were the faction I was looking most forward to and I don't think they are going to be the pre-order race so I get the sentiment, both will come eventually though.
But with Cathay being a faction now anything has a chance of being made so even if I end up not caring for Cathay after they are reveal. I can't help be excited by their reveal

Deleted member 67800

Banned
Apr 30, 2020
Total War: WARHAMMER III has just been formally announced by SEGA / Creative Assembly and the good news is that porter Feral Interactive have right away confirmed it's being supported on Linux (and macOS).

www.gamingonlinux.com

Total War: WARHAMMER III announced and confirmed for Linux by Feral Interactive

Total War: WARHAMMER III has just been formally announced by SEGA / Creative Assembly and the good news is that porter Feral Interactive have right away confirmed it's being supported on Linux (and macOS).

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I thought not all the factions are confirmed? May still get one or both of those. I hope Chorfs because I really like the mod that adds them. Like playing Dwarfs but fun.
Base game warhammer 3 factions are:
Slanesh,Nurgle, Khorne, tzeentch, kislev and Cathay. Suposedly there will be 9 LL.
An educated guess would be : 1 for each chaos god +1 as chaos undivided. 2 for kislev and 2 for cathay.

For those that buy the game up into 1 week after launch get another race. THis race has not been confirmed.

All this said do note that CA has confirmed that both chaos dwarves and ogre kingdoms WILL join the battle royale in wh3. If one of them is the pre order race is unknown at this point.

A side mention thanquol has also been confirmed for game 3, so expect him to join us eventually.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Its basically a single campaign mega map with all the factions from the other games. You can't play the other campaigns from the previous games.
No, each game has a standalone campaign only playable in that specific game, and a combined map if you own 1 and 2 that has a more free-form structure (Mortal Empires). The campaigns aren't necessarily anything to write home about anyway, there's some fun stuff but gameplay mechanics unique to individual characters are present if you play as them in Mortal Empires as well. The campaigns don't have linear scripted content besides the setup of a few battles.
It's kinda it's own thing.
WH1 and 2 have story driven smaller maps where each faction has specific campaigns.
Mortal Empires is a Sandbox mode where you have certain "win conditions" but really you can do whatever the hell you want.

It's safe to assume that WH3 will have a very story driven Chaos vs Kislev & Cathay map for the base game and then an even larger Mortal Empires mode for post release.
Similar in the sense that owning previous game will unlock that content in the next game.

Alongside with what others said i think it is a very different idea because warhammer trilogy is at its core is a "single massive game". Unlike hitman 3 where each game is relatively self contained, here in warhammer each game build on top of the predecessor to continue to expand what exists.

i'll give an example to try and ilustrate what we mean.
Frist take into consideration that each playable faction usually has significant gameplay changes even within the same race. For example Grom's greenskins ar every geared to using goblins while grimgor's greenskins are heavily tailored to boost Orc units.
this is the map for warhammer 1 at launch:
map_1605.jpg

It had 4 playable factions (the top ones that are in bigger fonts)
And this is the map that combines both game 1 (and all of its DLC) and game 2 at its launch
168251695.jpg

It only shows the playable factions . You can see the map of game 1 has completely added a lot of new territory for the west and south.

Game 3 will expand this map further to the east.

If you are curious this is the current maps for game 2 (left map is the combined map; right map is the wh2 unique campaign) with all DLC from game 1 and game 2. Just playable factions
jvf0zwl7ls061.jpg
Thanks! So this Mortal Empires mode, how does it work exactly? It is like the World Conquest mode of match in Risk, where a bunch of players/factions are pitted against each other in a royal rumble, with the winner the one who gets the more territories?

Also, do the Total War games usually have good sales during the year? I'd love to try it with these Warhammer games.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Thanks! So this Mortal Empires mode, how does it work exactly? It is like the World Conquest mode of match in Risk, where a bunch of players/factions are pitted against each other in a royal rumble, with the winner the one who gets the more territories?

Pretty much, though different factions will have broadly different objectives to win their campaign in terms of the territory they need to take and factions to destroy.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
The preorder faction has to be Chaos Dwarfs right? The Mortal Empires map has been gradually expanding east for a while now, and one more little push will be enough to hit the Chaos Dwarf capital.

There's definitely a decent argument to do Ogres first, just to have a neutral faction around day 1 for WH3 instead of just 2 Order VS 5-6 Chaos, but Chaos Dwarfs are right there already. Plus the last two preorder factions were Chaos related too.

I don't see the preorder being Dogs of War. There are already some complaints about variety, since the core races are all humans and demons, so the game really doesn't need another human faction at launch.

Rykane

Prophet of Truth
Nov 22, 2019
I really really hope all the political systems, map systems like filters etc and the UI style of Three Kingdoms is at least still used as a reference for total war Warhammer 3. The Warhammer games are fantastic but the UI for those games is atrociously out of date and the political system just feels dated compared to Three kingdoms also.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
day 0, TW1 and 2 have been some of the best Warhammer games to ever grace us

hoping for engine improvements, specifically performance, similar to what we got with 3K.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There's definitely a decent argument to do Ogres first, just to have a neutral faction around day 1 for WH3 instead of just 2 Order VS 5-6 Chaos, but Chaos Dwarfs are right there already. Plus the last two preorder factions were Chaos related too.

If nothing else, the Ogre Kingdoms are what separate Cathay from the existing world, so their territory presumably has to be in the base game already. Maybe they'll do the same thing as with the Tomb Kings and just patch them in later but it seems a bit weird to leave that enormous mountain range as a no man's land.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'm curious how they will design the separate Chaos factions. A Khorne faction with only melee units and no magic doesn't sound fun to play.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Also, do the Total War games usually have good sales during the year? I'd love to try it with these Warhammer games.
You can read my OT here for in depth explanations.

In short every campaign allows for world conquest if that is what you desire. I'd recomend you buy just wh2 before spending more money. wh2 base game gives you access to 1 campaign with 5 different races. Each campaign usualy lasts 20h. So even if you just do 5 campaigns (1 for each race) that is 100hs of content. ANd each race has several subfactions that do play relatively differently.
IMO if you like the game at this point then you should take into consideration buying wh1 which adds 4 new races and gives you acces to the merged campaign

wh2 unique campaign has objectives for each race with some subfaction (specially DLC ones) having unique objectives.

wh2 +wh 1 campaign (Called mortal empires) is a sandbox experience. Most races will have a conquer/control your lore rivals as well as conquer allied with your lore allies. Some races (and DLCs) have unique campaigns. FOr example wood elves are isolonits so their campaign is all about controling the 8 forests around the world; you can paint the map if yo uwant but it would be harder than a faction geared for that. Norsca for example can only hold port territories and faction capitals; so you mostly burn the world into he ground.
Note that IMO the fun of mortal empires is the sandboxy nature. One time you can have skaven dominating almost every continent and you have to face their vermintide to expand ; sometimes the high elves make a grand alliance with order factions and wipe evil factions out of the map. THe size of the map is hard to put into words and the above maps don't give it justice, but to try and put into perpective the size of it. it can take me 30 h to conquer 1/4 of the map.
THis literally means that usually every few hours you should be facing a new threat because the map has so many factions and is so big that you keep finding new stuff
For example lets say you are a lizardmen. You start facing skaven. Then you will find dark elves and pirates of the vampire coast. Then you will face greenskins and possible an empire colony. If you sail forth from you continent you can face tomb kings, bretonian crusaders. And once you reach end game you will probably fighting either High elves, chaos invasion and norsca warbands.

A cool part of CA's DLC policy is that the AI has acess to everything this means the only DLC worth buying are the DLC you will be using. Do take this into consideration and don't go buy everything in the store so that you have the "Complete experience". It is a waste of money, specially when the games have sales relatively often.

I'm curious how they will design the separate Chaos factions. A Khorne faction with only melee units and no magic doesn't sound fun to play.
I counter your argument with the cavalry seen in the trailer!
ss_bbba452cdc5172724d7832541217d71b85d2866c.1920x1080.jpg

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much, though different factions will have broadly different objectives to win their campaign in terms of the territory they need to take and factions to destroy.
You can read my OT here for in depth explanations.

In short every campaign allows for world conquest if that is what you desire. I'd recomend you buy just wh2 before spending more money. wh2 base game gives you access to 1 campaign with 5 different races. Each campaign usualy lasts 20h. So even if you just do 5 campaigns (1 for each race) that is 100hs of content. ANd each race has several subfactions that do play relatively differently.
IMO if you like the game at this point then you should take into consideration buying wh1 which adds 4 new races and gives you acces to the merged campaign

wh2 unique campaign has objectives for each race with some subfaction (specially DLC ones) having unique objectives.

wh2 +wh 1 campaign (Called mortal empires) is a sandbox experience. Most races will have a conquer/control your lore rivals as well as conquer allied with your lore allies. Some races (and DLCs) have unique campaigns. FOr example wood elves are isolonits so their campaign is all about controling the 8 forests around the world; you can paint the map if yo uwant but it would be harder than a faction geared for that. Norsca for example can only hold port territories and faction capitals; so you mostly burn the world into he ground.
Note that IMO the fun of mortal empires is the sandboxy nature. One time you can have skaven dominating almost every continent and you have to face their vermintide to expand ; sometimes the high elves make a grand alliance with order factions and wipe evil factions out of the map. THe size of the map is hard to put into words and the above maps don't give it justice, but to try and put into perpective the size of it. it can take me 30 h to conquer 1/4 of the map.
THis literally means that usually every few hours you should be facing a new threat because the map has so many factions and is so big that you keep finding new stuff
For example lets say you are a lizardmen. You start facing skaven. Then you will find dark elves and pirates of the vampire coast. Then you will face greenskins and possible an empire colony. If you sail forth from you continent you can face tomb kings, bretonian crusaders. And once you reach end game you will probably fighting either High elves, chaos invasion and norsca warbands.

A cool part of CA's DLC policy is that the AI has acess to everything this means the only DLC worth buying are the DLC you will be using. Do take this into consideration and don't go buy everything in the store so that you have the "Complete experience". It is a waste of money, specially when the games have sales relatively often.

I counter your argument with the cavalry seen in the trailer!
ss_bbba452cdc5172724d7832541217d71b85d2866c.1920x1080.jpg
This sounds super cool. I added all three games to my wishlist. I'll get them when they are on sale at some point; I'm not in a rush.

Thank you.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
If nothing else, the Ogre Kingdoms are what separate Cathay from the existing world, so their territory presumably has to be in the base game already. Maybe they'll do the same thing as with the Tomb Kings and just patch them in later but it seems a bit weird to leave that enormous mountain range as a no man's land.
You kind of run into that problem regardless of which of the two races gets in first. Both Ogre and Chaos Dwarf territory is sitting between Kislev and Cathay.

I figure it'll just be generic Greenskins or Skaven or Dwarfs around until the missing race gets added.