• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Warhammer and 40K games continue to take zero Ls when it comes to the CGI announcement trailers, good lord.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Very faire point. Chaos Dwarfs, Dogs of War, and maybe even the Hobgoblin Khanate would probably be received better by the community. Hell, they could even tease the ogres in Cathay. Just doing some reading on them and guess they hire maneaters often and have their own special kind of one-horned ogre.

Edit: Reading the wiki on the Ogre Kingdoms too, they have exactly four named lords on the tabletop. Seems too perfect.
I think it's a coin toss between Chaos Dwarves and Dogs of War.
Hobgoblins won't get in as the Pre-order as they need to fit on the WH2 map which is practically impossible. Unless they decide not to follow Norsca which would be odd imo

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a while since I've been unreservedly hyped for game i've seen nothing of.

This looked great. Love the look of the new factions.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not knowledgeable about the IP at all but that ice queen design was awesome. I really like it

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
It's been a while since I've been unreservedly hyped for game i've seen nothing of.

This looked great. Love the look of the new factions.
Can bet my shoe that we've already actually seen a lot of this game. :P

wh2_09.jpg

971777-total-war-warhammer-ii-windows-screenshot-starting-a-battle.png

I'd be genuinely surprised if it looked (or for that matter played) much different. If they did a engine upgrade that would be pretty neat, but I doubt we'll see much else if they aim for compatibility with previous games for the map and factions in them.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

I'd be genuinely surprised if it looked (or for that matter played) much different. If they did a engine upgrade that would be pretty neat, but I doubt we'll see much else if they aim for compatibility with previous games for the map and factions in them.

That's true of course. I've got 500+ hours in Wh2 and i don't expect a revolution in gameplay, that's a big reason why i'm hyped. But there's still plenty of smaller stuff they could change that could make me dislike the game.

I'm pretty confident it'll be good though :P

Impressive CG trailer, very Diablo/Blizzard esque.

so this is an RTS?

The campaign map, where you manage your cities and armies, is turnbased civ-like. All the army battles are real time battles with lots of units.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020

so this is an RTS?
In a sense. Total War combines turn-based grand strategy, think Civilization, with RTS battles. Pretty much, your economy, armies, and cities are handled a turn-based mode, but then battles are RTS battles with hundreds of soldiers clashing.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I think the hobgoblin khanate needs to be scrubbed from the entire game utterly. It would be insane to add them in as they try to expand into Asian markets.

You cannot model a race of backstabbing goblins so closely after a real world people in this day and age. If people are concerned about Tolkien's portrayal of orcs then the hobgoblin khanate is on a different level.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden

so this is an RTS?
Grand Strategy with RTS battles would be the better description.

This should get you up to speed. Just jump around a little here in there in that video and you'll have seen what it's all about. Massive world map, lots of asymmetric factions with huge gameplay variances, interactions between factions, real time strategy battles between hundreds if not thousands of soldiers strong armies, magic and all kinds of fun stuff.

And it's Warhammer.

Delicious Warhammer.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Kislev and Chaos Dwarves were the obvious choice for TW3 but I didnt see anything about Cathay. Nice

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn this Great Unclean One looks so good.
(speaking not literally)

Makes me want a full length movie.

6lmQS8M.png

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

wh2_09.jpg

971777-total-war-warhammer-ii-windows-screenshot-starting-a-battle.png

If they incorporated some of the changes from Three Kingdoms and Troy it could definitely feel pretty different, even if the it's mostly the same under the hood. Last time I played Warhammer 2 it was starting to feel a bit dated compared to the newer entries.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I think the hobgoblin khanate needs to be scrubbed from the entire game utterly. It would be insane to add them in as they try to expand into Asian markets.

You cannot model a race of backstabbing goblins so closely after a real world people in this day and age. If people are concerned about Tolkien's portrayal of orcs then the hobgoblin khanate is on a different level.
I agree, I think hobgoblins will exist in Chaos Dwarves(dogs of war) with their Mongolian aspects elements stripped and replaced with Chaos Dwarf elements but the Khanate will not exist, at most a hobgoblin LLfor Chaos Dwarves could be in their lands.

Even ignoring that major thing they have the far less significant flaw of being boring as hell, basically a faction based off one unit that already exists in Greenskins(Goblin wolf rider).

I think it's more likely Khuresh,Ind, Nippon get in before them since they were essentially blank slates like Cathay

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Fast forward to whenever CA finally ends support for this trilogy, it's absolutely going to be in the running for largest, most ambitious game ever created, non-MMO category. It's just absurd how huge and dense with content it'll be. And that's before mods!

Oct 30, 2017
The idea of it (and the Total War games in general) is amazing. I have the first two Warhammer games (through Humble Bundle or something I believe), but I'm absolutely terrible at it. Like, awful. I'm fairly sure last time I tried playing Warhammer II I stuck it on a low difficulty and still somehow managed to get my arse kicked.

Are there any recommended beginner guides for the games?

You can try these beginners guides from Party Elite

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
Oh man, and I still haven't touched my Warhammer 2 copy, better fix that now. Hope CA gets a crack at 40K after this.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The hobgoblin are probably part of the rooster for Chaos Dwarfs, just like the gnoblars for the Ogre Kingdoms. Perhaps there is a Hobgoblin subfaction that has Greenskin elements, like Arkhan the Black.

I'm not sure they're going to discard them entirely because the Lizardmen also have quite racist origins after all.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Considering where the Grand Cathay is, the Ogre Kingdom would be smack dab in the middle of it all, it'd be hard to ignore that part and not have them included.
zLEa6.jpg

Man the Mortal Empires campaign is gonna be biiiiiiiig. Prepare for 20 minute long End of Turn times as the computer goes through all those factions. :P

I can't help but see a basterdized version of Earth's continents. Is that intentional?

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
I can't help but see a basterdized version of Earth's continents. Is that intentional?
Very much so. With Ulthuan of the High Elves being sort of "Atlantis".

It's all there. In northern Africa you have undead Egyptians. In South America you have Aztec lizard people. In Europe you have German Empire, French Knights, Swiss Wood Elves and Scandinavian Chaos Worshipping heathen vikings. And in North America you have edgelord hedonistic aristocratic dark elves who love to bathe in the blood of others and sacrifice people.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting, I never realized that was the case, but it makes perfect sense in retrospect.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Very much so. With Ulthuan of the High Elves being sort of "Atlantis".

It's all there. In northern Africa you have undead Egyptians. In South America you have Aztec lizard people. In Europe you have German Empire, French Knights, Swiss Wood Elves and Scandinavian Chaos Worshipping heathen vikings. And in North America you have edgelord hedonistic aristocratic dark elves who love to bathe in the blood of others and sacrifice people.

Worth noting that NA is full of pale colonizers who get by on supplementing their super navy with a heavy supply of slaves.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Say I need to get into Total War: Warhammer, having never touched the series.

I own both TW: W I and II somehow and just realized this.

What should I do?

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
Grand Strategy with RTS battles would be the better description.

This should get you up to speed. Just jump around a little here in there in that video and you'll have seen what it's all about. Massive world map, lots of asymmetric factions with huge gameplay variances, interactions between factions, real time strategy battles between hundreds if not thousands of soldiers strong armies, magic and all kinds of fun stuff.

And it's Warhammer.

Delicious Warhammer.

I'd say more 4X with RTS battles. Not really a grand strategy game.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Say I need to get into Total War: Warhammer, having never touched the series.

I own both TW: W I and II somehow and just realized this.

What should I do?

Download all the free DLC for both, install 2 and play either the Vortex map for a more concise, story drivenish experience or the Mortal Empires map for a huge sandbox game. No need to worry about paid DLC for awhile unless something really catches your eye.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Has there been any official reason why they haven't added Araby so far?

No, but general theory is that while Cathay and Kislev are blank slates, there HAS BEEN supplemental material for Araby. And it was TERRIBLY stereotypical and outright racist (not quite Pygmies racist, but close). It's a thorny topic that CA and GW are likely deciding to just step aside from for now.

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
No, but general theory is that while Cathay and Kislev are blank slates, there HAS BEEN supplemental material for Araby. And it was TERRIBLY stereotypical and outright racist (not quite Pygmies racist, but close). It's a thorny topic that CA and GW are likely deciding to just step aside from for now.

Oh didn't know that, as an Arab I just wanted a faction that I can relate to, even if it's just fantasy. Hope GW fix it.

Apoplectoad

Mar 15, 2019
Considering they're using The Old World designs for Kislev, I hope this means Cathy will get an army too.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
THe OT has to be
Warcraft-Logo-PNG-HD.png

It is the CHAOS game!

Chaos invasion begins:
Kislev destroyed in 3 turns

Now it's my turn

Kislev.
for me it is usually the other way around! i rarely see CHaos beat kislev.

Has there been any official reason why they haven't added Araby so far?
CA has said that Araby isn't on plan.
THe big issue is that the content for Araby is very sterotypical (with heavy racist undertones)

personally i'd love to have Araby (hopefully by not using the racist stuff and instead creating something hyperbolic of Muslim culture). CA clearly has the talent for it and in my ignorant opinion, Muslim/arab and other cultures are very rich in mythological stuff that could fit warhammer very well. I also like elephants in the historical titles, so i'll take any excuse to get an army that could use those beautiful animals.
i don't know anything about warhammer, so who's the ice lady?
Kislev leader Katarina