• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Man they are doing a real good job of making the new human factions look super interesting. I've never really liked Empire or Bretonia, but Kislev and Cathay look fucking rad.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Cathay looks amazing. Seems to be a defense oriented faction as well according to the info. I'll finally be able to replace dwarfs as my main faction.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Understandable, excited to get Cathay info finally.

Wonder if they'll do a Rakarth scenario in the long gap. There's a random db entry left and I could totally see it being in case of delay
I would enjoy a vampire count LL so that we have basically every wh1 race in vortex.

That said I would prefer if all resources were moved to wh3 and it's dlc content. I hope game 3 gets more than just 2 dlc races.
Wh1 had 4 dlc races
Is there a WH3 ot already?
I would volunteer for it but accordingly to the rules without a release date I can't create it

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Thematically or gameplay-wise? I certainly think their crusading and grail-questing could use more depth but I think they're a pretty unique faction otherwise.
Unit wise, I just think they're lacking in areas, epically lords and hero options. With Empire/Kislev having good Calvary and eventually Orge Kingdoms, along with Cathay's flying horses, it really does seem Brettonia is getting a bit buried. I would really like a tier 5 version of the Grail Relquie for example that could buff their infranty a lot.

Honestly campaign wise I like them a lot, I just think Vows could use a tweak so there's a reason to go for different ones rather than convince, and Green Knight summon should have some bonus to faction wide(like make him a summonable entity for every battle) or a skill tree.

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
Wow all these WH3 trailers give me chills. That end scene was great. Cathay looks wonderful.

Those giant statues give me hope that the Dawi will get Golems at some point.

Bretonia could really use something to stick out compare to the other human factions these days

I think Alberic The Bland definitely needs some type of rework.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
youtu.be

The Dawn of Grand Cathay | Total War: WARHAMMER III

An ancient empire lies far beyond the Dark Lands and the snowfields of Kislev... Ruled by the Celestial Dragon Emperor and the Moon Empress, Grand Cathay is ...
Grand Cathay

Love the look, very fantastical
Ohhhhhhhhh my god they look AMAZING

I'm 300% on board. Didn't really vibe with Kislev but this? This is my shit.

Anyway, on the OT note, you're really only supposed to put those up a few days before the game comes out, lol. Once there's previews and stuff you can make a previews thread, though.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
i was an idiot and opened reddit because i was bored and wanted to see if there was new stuff on cathay or somethign that i missed.

Most post are complaining about Tzentch warriors... Like i get that is frustrating but holy shit how can one ignore Cathay and focus on that?

Sometime si feel like i'm the only one that was super impressed by cathay. The ballons, armor, rockets, terracota, and specially the LL are all extremely cool and BY FAR suparssed my expectations. For a faction that was suposedly made from the ground up it looks extremely well done.
I wish Araby, ind and nippon could get the same treatment as Cathay.

Now Tzeentch warrior not being reskined doesn't bother me too much for 3 reasons:
  1. I expect payed DLC to be the mortal warriors of Chaos; CA can touch up models if needed.
  2. Trailers are work in progress so who knows if the model isn't a placeholder
  3. mods can probably fix these problems easily
I'll be blunt and say that it bothers me more that chaos warriors re-use animations from wh1 that the lack of reskin. Msotly because i found the origin al aniamtions of WoC to be far too similar to empire. HE and DE have more diferent animations between each other despite being the same race while empire and WoC share a lot of spining, kicks and shield bash.

but if those animations/reskins are what i have to pay to get terracota Guan Yu. fuck it, terracota Guan Yu it is.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Araby just isn't being done. The original material was way too close / over the line re racism, and there just isn't room on the map. Even the more states they basically no longer exist as a power. It's just small city states getting battered by undead.

I hadn't noticed the Tzeentch stuff tbh because we saw so little of it I assumed it was still a work in progress for the most part. Cathay did look cool for a human faction though for sure!

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Araby just isn't being done. The original material was way too close / over the line re racism, and there just isn't room on the map. Even the more states they basically no longer exist as a power. It's just small city states getting battered by undead.

I hadn't noticed the Tzeentch stuff tbh because we saw so little of it I assumed it was still a work in progress for the most part. Cathay did look cool for a human faction though for sure!
I don't want araby as it was. I want another "Cathay" but middle eastern based.
Imo the middle east has enough culture and mythology to make an splendid faction.

I would also really like Amazon's (similar to Troy's, not the bikini ones)

I just think that Cathay really looks great and I hope CA moves to creating those factions instead of just having 2 race packs for wh3 we could have more

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I think people jumped the gun on Tzeetch, thought I'm fine with the reskins for Forsaken/Spawn since you could only do so much with their skeleton. Kinda disappointed in Chosen reskins in two ways, a)thought they would stick with being a WoC unique unit and b) lack of real differences. Though it wasn't an official trailer for them and the game just got delayed.

Its really down to GW what gets made. CA ain't touching any faction without GW to fall back on even if they do most of work.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The hoverboards were an amazing touch. Straight out of ReBoot!

images

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'd have liked to have seen some Tzaangor units even if they had to nick them from AoS.

99120201065_TzaangorWarriors01.jpg
99120201064_TzaangorSkyfires01.jpg

Though interestingly they did seem to show off some units that didn't appear on the original tabletop game, like Chaos Warriors on Discs and some clawed infantry units that look a little bit like Kairic Acolytes. So it doesn't look like they're sticking too rigidly with original fantasy for Tzeentch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'd have liked to have seen some Tzaangor units even if they had to nick them from AoS.

99120201065_TzaangorWarriors01.jpg
99120201064_TzaangorSkyfires01.jpg

Though interestingly they did seem to show off some units that didn't appear on the original tabletop game, like Chaos Warriors on Discs and some clawed infantry units that look a little bit like Kairic Acolytes. So it doesn't look like they're sticking too rigidly with original fantasy for Tzeentch.
It is important to know that the trailer is about Cathay.
The original trailer for Kislev also had a very small roster for Khorne. Even the Khorne trailer didn't show the soul grinder, minotaur nor the good boys.

So I would wait for Tzeentch roster before jumping to conclusions.

Personally speaking I hope that by the end of the DLC we could get beastman marked by the chaos gods

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Mmm, I don't see the Ogre Kingdoms being the Vampire Coast equivalent. Vampire Coast were a new army made up from scratch that we weren't expecting at all, whereas Ogre Kingdoms are not only expected, they may be the free DLC we get for pre-ordering. There's no question the Ogre Kingdoms will be added into the game at some point.

Now the Monkey King, that sounds bizarre and potentially new. How far away are the southern poles to Cathay?

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I think they will have to be *really really* fucking careful about making a race of barbaric Ape-men that invades their equivalent of China.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think they will have to be *really really* fucking careful about making a race of barbaric Ape-men that invades their equivalent of China.
They have to be "cultural neutral".

In any case, even if there are not ape men, there is a Monkey King. It could be just a title and not a real monkey but I think it's going to be just a Sun Wukong expy

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Monkey King is more of a neutral force that likes to mess with the Dragon Emperor/Cathay without being truly antagonistic to them. They also make a distinction between invasion of Chaos and Monkey King so I don't think he is related to Chaos in any way.

So that's about three LL ideas for Cathay, East Dragon, South Dragon and Monkey King. I imagine other Dragons are FLC and Monkey King is paid

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
If I don't remember wrong, Monkey King is and his followers are another creatures of Chaos like the beastmen. And like the Beastmen, even if they're related to the Chaos Gods, they are independent. But I'm not totally sure, I read about Cathai long time ago.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
If I don't remember wrong, Monkey King is and his followers are another creatures of Chaos like the beastmen. And like the Beastmen, even if they're related to the Chaos Gods, they are independent. But I'm not totally sure, I read about Cathai long time ago.
I think that was the lord and that he worked with Skaven at one point?
But they in general toned down the amount of Chaos influence in Cathay so I'd imagine the same is true for the Monkey King, it's also pretty easy to explain in-universe that an Empire guy thought them to be Beastmen

Oct 30, 2017
If the Monkey King is gonna be a Lord DLC is he going against a Cathay lord? or a chaos lord? If he counts a cathay lord it would be weird if its gonna be a same faction Lord pack.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
If the Monkey King is gonna be a Lord DLC is he going against a Cathay lord? or a chaos lord? If he counts a cathay lord it would be weird if its gonna be a same faction Lord pack.
If CA continues the cross game DLC a cathay South LL would be great against someone in the southern that isn't from game 3, beastman, Lizardmen, HE, etc. Where his porpoise is to gather enough power to become a challenger to the Cathay throne

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I imagine it being an Arkhan-like deal. He is technically part of Tomb Kings, but has characteristics that make it his own subfaction.

And yes, he also had Skaven support.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Just a random question, I was looking into getting warhammer 2 but I realised that you also need warhammer 1 in order to get other species/game modes.

Would it be better to just wait for warhammer 3 as these will just include all of the games?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Just a random question, I was looking into getting warhammer 2 but I realised that you also need warhammer 1 in order to get other species/game modes.

Would it be better to just wait for warhammer 3 as these will just include all of the games?

No. Warhammer 2 and 3 are kind of huge expansion packs for Warhammer 1. If you want to play the massive combined map you need both (or all 3 come next year with Warhammer 3). They all have their own campaigns, though, so there's plenty to play with just one purchase. But if you really want to dive in I'd get games 1 and 2, download all the free DLC (there's a ton) and go at it for 1000 hours or so.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Warhammer 3 will only come with 6 new playable factions and 9 legendary lords.
The game's campaign could include some of the previous factions, but if you not have the previous games or DLC, they will not be playable.
Also, the massive Inmortal Empires campaign will be released after the release, and only will be playable to the owners of three previous games -without the need of the DLCs.

Warhammer (without paid DLCs): Empire, Dwarfs, Greenskins, Vampire Counts, Bretonnia.

Warhammer DLC: Chaos Warriors, Beastmen*, Wood Elves*, Norsca (Chaos Vikings)

Warhammer 2 (without DLCs): High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Shaven.

Warhammer 2 DLC factions: Khemri (Undead Ancient Egypt), Vampire Coast (Undead Pirates), Wood Elves*, Beastmen*

Warhammer 3: Kislev, Cathay, Demons of Khorne, Demons of Tzeench, Demons of Nurgle, and Demons of Slaanesh.

*Released first with the first game, rereleased with changes and improvements in Warhammer 2. In Warhammer 3 you will need one of both DLCs to play the most improved and updated version of that faction, but if you want all the Legendary Lords, you need both.

Last edited:

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017

Right now, Total Warhammer 1 snaps into Total Warhammer 2 and is basically a "Mega DLC" for it. When Total Warhammer 3 comes out, TW1 and TW2 will both be "Mega DLCs" for it and snap right in.

Considering that we have a few months until TW3 launches, nothing wrong with picking up TW2 right now and getting a feel for it. You don't have to pick up TW1 with it if you're not sure out of the gate, but I do 150% recommend it if you like the game even a smidge. Even if you're not super hot on the base races in it (which are all very good to very great), I've personally spent maybe 95% of my time in the combined campaign map that comes with having both games.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
No. Warhammer 2 and 3 are kind of huge expansion packs for Warhammer 1. If you want to play the massive combined map you need both (or all 3 come next year with Warhammer 3). They all have their own campaigns, though, so there's plenty to play with just one purchase. But if you really want to dive in I'd get games 1 and 2, download all the free DLC (there's a ton) and go at it for 1000 hours or so.

Warhammer 3 will only come with 6 new playable factions and 9 legendary lords.
The game's campaign could include some of the previous factions, but if you not have the previous games or DLC, they will not be playable.
Also, the massive Inmortal Empires campaign will be released after the release, and only will be playable to the owners of three previous games -without the need of the DLCs.

Warhammer (without paid DLCs): Empire, Dwarfs, Greenskins, Vampire Counts, Bretonnia.

Warhammer DLC: Chaos Warriors, Beastmen*, Wood Elves*, Norsca (Chaos Vikings)

Warhammer 2 (without DLCs): High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Shaven.

Warhammer 2 DLC factions: Khemri (Undead Ancient Egypt), Vampire Coast (Undead Pirates), Wood Elves*, Beastmen*

Warhammer 3: Kislev, Cathay, Demons of Khorne, Demons of Tzeench, Demons of Nurgle, and Demons of Slaanesh.

*Released first with the first game, rereleased with changes and improvements in Warhammer 2. In Warhammer 3 you will need one of both DLCs to play the most improved and updated version of that faction, but if you want all the Legendary Lords, you need both.

Right now, Total Warhammer 1 snaps into Total Warhammer 2 and is basically a "Mega DLC" for it. When Total Warhammer 3 comes out, TW1 and TW2 will both be "Mega DLCs" for it and snap right in.

Considering that we have a few months until TW3 launches, nothing wrong with picking up TW2 right now and getting a feel for it. You don't have to pick up TW1 with it if you're not sure out of the gate, but I do 150% recommend it if you like the game even a smidge. Even if you're not super hot on the base races in it (which are all very good to very great), I've personally spent maybe 95% of my time in the combined campaign map that comes with having both games.

Thanks All!

I'll buy both the games, but man even buying the DLC's this game is very pricey with the DLC's even now that they are on sale. Are there any major ones that are essential? I dont really care about extra lords, mainly id be focused on extra races but kind of hard to tell based on the names. I might just play the regular game and once I've used all regular factions, buy the DLC's or just wait for 3

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Thanks All!

I'll buy both the games, but man even buying the DLC's this game is very pricey with the DLC's even now that they are on sale. Are there any major ones that are essential? I dont really care about extra lords, mainly id be focused on extra races but kind of hard to tell based on the names. I might just play the regular game and once I've used all regular factions, buy the DLC's or just wait for 3

The extra race packs are:
  • Call of the Beastmen
  • Realm of the Wood Elves
  • Chaos Warriors
  • Norsca
  • Rise of the Tomb Kings
  • Curse of the Vampire Coast
All of them except Chaos Warriors (and maybe Norsca) are good at least. Bear in mind that even if you don't get the race/lord DLC, they will still show up as NPC factions. You can tell which the Lord packs are because they'll all be called "The X and the Y".

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks All!

Yeah there's really no need to buy extra DLCs unless you really want something. All it does is unlock playing that faction and the units. They're in the game to play against for everyone, so just buy what you want as you want it. You can get by on just the base game + FLC stuff for a long, long time. Especially once you start dipping into mods.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

I wouldn't wait for WH3 for 3 reasons:
1)warhammer 2 is finished and thus a stable experience. Wh3 ambition will probably mean a buggy launch
2) wh2 has considerable mod support.
3) wh2 free content has doubled the game S content. Wh2 launched with 8 Legendary Lords (think of them as leaders) and 4 races. Currently the game has 18 LL and 6 races. This means that wh2 offers more content at this point
4 and 5) bonus points wh2 is cheaper and will add content to game 3 so you aren't wasting money by buying wh2 first

The only reason I would choose wh3 over wh2 at this point is if you are a tabletop player and your main race is a wh3 race.
Like if you played DoC or ogres on tabletop it might make more sense to go buy game 3 so you can use your fav faction.

Logically wise wh2 is a great entry point with more content and far cheaper than wh3.

On the DLC side I would skip everything until giving a try on every race. The reason for this isn't the DLC is bad, on the contrary the DLC offers a lot of content for their price. The key part is that the base game has so much content that chances are that you Will get bored of the game if it doesn't click with you.
For example for me a single campaign lasts around 20h before I get bored and start a new one. This means that just with the base game and by playing twice with each race it would cost me 240h which is a considerable ammount of my free time. If you do want to buy dlc do know they usually are on sale every few months you can use isthereanydeal to track sales

In short wh2 boasts more content, is more stable and is cheaper than wh3. As you can use wh2 content in wh3 you aren't losing any money for buying wh2.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks All!

If you haven't bought some already, the games are on a deep discount on steam right now.