• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I love the undead factions too so I'm hoping for some love. Have there been any hints of a Warriors of Chaos rework? I wouldn't want to abandon that entire faction. There's some cool stuff there.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I love the undead factions too so I'm hoping for some love. Have there been any hints of a Warriors of Chaos rework? I wouldn't want to abandon that entire faction. There's some cool stuff there.
Sort of, people think that the 9th LL(Bela'kor) will come with a Warriors of Chaos rework, becoming undivided. They also said in QA out of all the WH1/WH2 races Norsca was the most obvious one for a rework which is weird since they are way better than WoC

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
I would the biggest wh3 problem is not lack of content but instead if you don't care about chaos then around half the game's content won't appeal to you.

For example for me I usually don't care about chaos because in a total war a faction only focused on destruction makes half the game non existant. Part of the fun of a campaign is building those special buildings and slowly get power Creep to become OP.
I am very eager to see how CA approached the DoC as, IMO, their lore is very "anti-fun".

In short what I am trying ton say is from what we know wh3 will bring more content at launch then wh2 and wh1 at their respective Cycle however the content is very Chaos heavy

This is where I'm at. I will probably never touch any of the Chaos stuff (Don't even own the current DLC). That entire faction just does not appeal to me. Having said that, I am fully prepared to wait an eternity for Immortal Empires. Mortal Empires is just amazing fun in and of itself (and endlessly replayable).

Kislev however, I will play the living hell out of them!

My (very biased) hope-for list:
Neferata (Khalida needs her revenge!)
Thorek Ironbrow (Dawi Runelord) -Azul
Burlok Damminsson (Dawi Engineer Lord) -Zufbar
Malakai Makaisson (Dawi Slayer Engineer Lord) -Kadrin

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish they would come out and confirm one way or the other if WoC are getting a major overhaul/being reworked into Undivided, but i get them wanting to potentially save that as a big reveal with Belakor.

Feb 12, 2019
Khorne roster is about what I was expecting, which is to say that playstyle-wise it's regular chaos but angrier and with no magic. although, I kinda love that even the sole artillery piece is also a chariot that can go into melee to reload. That's real dumb and I love it. I hope we get more about at least one of the other factions before the end of the month. I'm betting we won't get a release date until they're absolutely sure, but I'm absolutely sure I want more than Khorne Flakes. Give me Tzneech and Slaanesh already. I bet Grand Cathay or Undivided is gonna be the last reveal to happen, so I'm not expecting those for a few more months.

I actually started a new game in anticipation of the Beastmen rework as Cylostra. It's… definitely interesting to mostly be fighting elves as the VC. Trying to remember how gun lines work has been a task and a half, but it's so satisfying when you can rip an enemy apart with handgunner crossfire.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the Cathay units aren't a Total War: Three Kingdoms reskin
I wouldn't hate getting something like the tiger handlers in there tbh. That whole faction had some fun units. I'd also be thrilled if they managed to get a little of what made Three Kingdom's generals so interesting into the faction mechanics somehow.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking about giving SFO a try since I have a bit of a TW2 hankering. Any specific recommendations/advice for someone who has pretty much only played the game mod free on normal dif? I like lizards, tomb kings, vampire coast, and greenskins a lot (but everyone is pretty cool except maybe lame high elves).

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking about giving SFO a try since I have a bit of a TW2 hankering. Any specific recommendations/advice for someone who has pretty much only played the game mod free on normal dif? I like lizards, tomb kings, vampire coast, and greenskins a lot (but everyone is pretty cool except maybe lame high elves).
Dwarfs and Bretonnia (esp Repanse) are great, since they're pretty old factions that benefit a lot from getting fleshed out. Dwarf grudgerakers are like, my favorite unit in the game. Norsca was great too, but I haven't played them SFO since their latest update. Sometimes SFO overstuffs things -- the Wood Elves update post rework comes to mind -- so they might've gone overboard, but I couldn't say for sure. Dark Elves are good unit-wise, but their buildings and slave economy are pretty wonky. TK got an update alongside Norsca, so if you're a big fan, might be worth checking out first.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
SFO does a good job across the board so the specific faction you tackle is up to you.

Generally, just skim the SFO changelog to get an idea for some of the broader changes. Income, upkeep, and tax are dramatically different, even between factions in SFO. Also note the combat differences--battles are longer, magic is deadlier, among other stuff. Oh and it has a different autoresolve calculation so it's a lot more reliable for e.g. expendable-heavy armies but overvalues things like missle chariots on the flipside.

You can figure out most of it on the fly, but knowing some of it ahead of time will keep your campaigns from going sideways.

SFO is my preferred way to play TWWH2 at this point. It's just that good.

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017

I would go into SFO blind. It adds so much to the game and makes seeing the changes first-hand feel very refreshing. From your list above I have only seen 1 campaign to Victory -Tomb Kings/Khalida. The latest rework added a sort of nemesis mechanic to TK that lets you spawn a 20-stack Vampire guy at a random location that you can fight to empower your LL.

All in all -SFO is fantastic.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'm sad, a dread saurian ate my lvl27 liche priest that i forgot to imortalize. I hate that my tomb kings are basicaly calcium to the lizadmen.

I wodner if we will receive new trailer this week or do we have to wait to july for more warhammer content?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'd like it if the next 2 trailers were Slaanesh vs. Cathaay and Nurgle vs. Tzeentch, with the last faction (assuming it exists) getting its own trailer. Clearly they want it to be a big reveal.

Nurgle and Tzeentch freaking hate each other, and we should get some Chaos vs. Chaos action, since in all likelihood that's what a lot of each campaign will be. That leaves Slaanesh to fight Cathay, if we're keeping the same structure as the Kislev vs. Khorne reveals.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I think I'd like it if the next 2 trailers were Slaanesh vs. Cathaay and Nurgle vs. Tzeentch, with the last faction (assuming it exists) getting its own trailer. Clearly they want it to be a big reveal.

Nurgle and Tzeentch freaking hate each other, and we should get some Chaos vs. Chaos action, since in all likelihood that's what a lot of each campaign will be. That leaves Slaanesh to fight Cathay, if we're keeping the same structure as the Kislev vs. Khorne reveals.

A bit of an odd pairing, seeing how Tzeentch has a better connection to Cathay than Slaanesh, but you're right.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain

Tzeentch vs Cathay is better. Also, Slaanesh and Nurgle are rivals -like, Khorne and Tzeentch-.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Tzeentch vs Cathay is better. Also, Slaanesh and Nurgle are rivals -like, Khorne and Tzeentch-.
Nah, the big rivalries are Khorne vs. Slaanesh and Nurgle vs Tzeentch, generally. Nurgle is all about stasis, Tzeentch is all about change. The reasoning on the other one varies. None of them get along ofc, but those are the typical pairings.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the big rivalries are Khorne vs. Slaanesh and Nurgle vs Tzeentch, generally. Nurgle is all about stasis, Tzeentch is all about change. The reasoning on the other one varies. None of them get along ofc, but those are the typical pairings.

Khorne and Slaanesh hate each other because Khorne just wants murder, while Slaanesh wants people to fuck before they murder.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Khorne and Slaanesh hate each other because Khorne just wants murder, while Slaanesh wants people to fuck before they murder.
I've always felt like the charitable version is that it's about Khorne being kind of the OG chaos god, and Slaanesh being the new kid on the block. Khorne is about as basic as basic gets: rage, blood, skulls, he's happy. Slaanesh is all about extremes, but it's any kind of extreme. It's the broadest portfolio of any of the gods, and it infringes on Khorne's territory in a way the others don't, and he fucking hates that.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

while id like a Nurgle Vs Tzeentch trailer i'd prefer if it was Slanesh VS Nurgle. The main reason is that i think these 2 factions are hard to capture correctly in a 16 age restricted game.
Slanesh original units have a bit too many breasts so i wonder how CA will approach them. CA's artist are amazing so I am earguerly anticipating how they kept the models "sexy but disturbing" without just putting breasts on them.
Nurgle's units are suposedly disgusting and i think the only unit that bothers me is the Hell Pit Abomination. So i wonder if CA cna make me look at Nurgle's units and make me feel nauseous and disgusted. I'd love if CA can capture that decay/disease that the models have

I assume Tzeencth and Cathay will be more or less the traditional gorgeous models that CA usually does so i'm not that curious on them.

I am also assuming that belakor will be basically a combined faction of the 4 chaos gods; so i don't expect anything special besides belakor's model being absolutely jaw inspiring.

My greatest anticipation is the DLC race. Will it be a norscan clan since CA said they want to rework norsca? will they be WoC again so that CA can bring WoC LL to a more stable position? (assumign sigvald will move into slanesh)
Maybe a good race like dogs of war?
I 'm very keep on seeing the pre-order DLC and hopeful that ogre kingdoms, Nagash and chaos dwarves aren't in it as i feel these 3 races needs a full fledged DLC to bring all their glory

oh! makes sense!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
while id like a Nurgle Vs Tzeentch trailer i'd prefer if it was Slanesh VS Nurgle. The main reason is that i think these 2 factions are hard to capture correctly in a 16 age restricted game.
Slanesh original units have a bit too many breasts so i wonder how CA will approach them. CA's artist are amazing so I am earguerly anticipating how they kept the models "sexy but disturbing" without just putting breasts on them.
Nurgle's units are suposedly disgusting and i think the only unit that bothers me is the Hell Pit Abomination. So i wonder if CA cna make me look at Nurgle's units and make me feel nauseous and disgusted. I'd love if CA can capture that decay/disease that the models have
Nurgle actually has a LOT of game presence already. I don't think they'll run into a rating issue. Slaanesh... could be trickier, but I figure they'll cover up the nipples and that'll be enough.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I always dislike this Khorve vs Tzeetch and Nurgle vs Slaneesh makes much more sense that I feel like this was done to avoid the obvious p ik

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I always dislike this Khorve vs Tzeetch and Nurgle vs Slaneesh makes much more sense that I feel like this was done to avoid the obvious p ik
I mean like... the nurgle vs. Tzeentch one makes way more sense than Khorne vs. Tzeentch. Yeah, Tzeentch is the god of magic, but he's primarily the god of change and evolutions, where Nurgle is primarily one of decay and stasis. Or, to pull it back to the emotional resonance, T is hope, N is despair, K is rage, S is absolutely anything as long as there's a lot of it. Rage vs. Hope doesn't make a ton of sense.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is… Nurgle isn't the gods of decay. He's also the god of life and rebirth. Hence his 'garden'.

And khorne versus Tzeentch is more than magic versus non magic. It's also subtlety versus the obvious. It's the god than plans the least versus the god that plans the most. It's the god of short term rage and fury versus the god of long term schemes and politics.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I mean like... the nurgle vs. Tzeentch one makes way more sense than Khorne vs. Tzeentch. Yeah, Tzeentch is the god of magic, but he's primarily the god of change and evolutions, where Nurgle is primarily one of decay and stasis. Or, to pull it back to the emotional resonance, T is hope, N is despair, K is rage, S is absolutely anything as long as there's a lot of it. Rage vs. Hope doesn't make a ton of sense.
Khorne is strength and violence , to him the only thing that matters is how much blood you can be and strong by extension, while Tzeetch offers other solutions to this, to the need to be strong to the nes to spill by blood by offer the usage of schemes, magic and other stuff. Allowing characters like the Cursling to get over their stronger brother by the way of magic and change the innante order of might makes right that defines Khorne.

I can understand NvT on some level but it leads to KvS which always felt like a stretch over NvS and KvT

On a different point I'm not so sure that we're always getting two armies revealed at once

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Khorne is strength and violence , to him the only thing that matters is how much blood you can be and strong by extension, while Tzeetch offers other solutions to this, to the need to be strong to the nes to spill by blood by offer the usage of schemes, magic and other stuff. Allowing characters like the Cursling to get over their stronger brother by the way of magic and change the innante order of might makes right keep society.

I can understand NvT on some level but it leads to KvS which always felt like a stretch over NvS and KvT
Slaanesh is always sort of the odd god out here, is the thing. The portfolio there is so huge that there's a legit argument for everybody to hate them. NvT makes more sense to me than KvT, so KvS is the remainder. The most simple, straightforward, primal god against the complex, excessive newcomer.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think Slaanesh versus Nurgle is an obvious enemy pairing and really easy to explain. It makes by far the most sense.

Nurgle is the god of decay and rot. No joy, just the end of life in pain and misery. He *literally* deadens the senses of his followers - that's one of their principle attributes.

Slaanesh is the god of excess and sensation. She/He doesn't want life to end, they want it to go on endlessly in new variations and experiences. They do the opposite of Nurgle to their followers - they amplify their senses to the extremes.

Their follower gifts are literally the opposite of each other.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Well lorewise Slaanesh's biggest rival out of the other Chaos gods is Khorne. Those two absolutely hate each other.

Nurgle actually loves celebrating life and all its experiences, it's just that he thinks that rot, insects and diseases are as entitled to them as anyone else. What is decay if not life blooming from death?

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I know, we're just discussing alternate versions.. ;-)

And whilst Nurgle loves celebrating life / rot, and is portrayed as the jolly father christmas with sores, his actual followers are unending misery. I think people always get the wrong end of Nurgle - *he's* happy because he gets to inflict plagues and disease and misery. His followers and the targets of those plagues aren't.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
As someone that only delved to the universe due to Warhammer total war it is quite amusing to see this discussion.

I enjoyed khorne roster and I am really glad CA decided to divide doc into 4 factions.
I was afraid Doc would be like skaven. IMO different factions is the way to go even if there are lot of Re skins.

WH3 can't arrive soon enough so I can hunt demons with oxy!!

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that only delved to the universe due to Warhammer total war it is quite amusing to see this discussion.

I enjoyed khorne roster and I am really glad CA decided to divide doc into 4 factions.
I was afraid Doc would be like skaven. IMO different factions is the way to go even if there are lot of Re skins.

WH3 can't arrive soon enough so I can hunt demons with oxy!!

That's a pretty good plan. Maybe even a great one.

Oct 30, 2017
Does CA do reveals in unique pairs? Why are we discussing unique pairs when they can pair whoever is next with those already revealed? Like if Slaanesh is next wouldnt their forces face Kislev or Khorne?

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Does CA do reveals in unique pairs? Why are we discussing unique pairs when they can pair whoever is next with those already revealed? Like if Slaanesh is next wouldnt their forces face Kislev or Khorne?
In previous Warhammer there was a race that was the punch bag (empire for wh1 and He for wh2) and CA started with faction trailers.

For Warhammer 3 CA started with 2 factions fighting each other instead of the usual faction trailer, hence people expecting that CA will continue to follow that way

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Some new details about Warhammer battles in this blog post
Starts with improved backend changes and more mod-friendly systems (like adding waagh!/murderous prowess/realm of souls type mechanics to other races.)

On Map variety and Ambush battle changes:
Map-wise "we've kept some old maps. Land-battle wise it's roughly the same, there might be some more hard-collision than there was before because the new terrain types are quite hostile. There's a lot more height variation.

"There's been improvements and changes to battle modes – on chokepoints there was only ever a maximum of two crossings before, it goes up to three or four now. Ambush Battles now have the withdraw feature from Three Kingdoms, where if you get your units to the withdraw point in an Ambush Battle you can escape so you're not just instantly killed."

Autoresolve changes
Big quality-of-life changes coming to autoresolve. The most notable is that the game will now tell you the predicted result and which units will be lost before hitting the button, as well as in-general how many casualties you will be taking. The background processing of what the actual result will be has also been improved.

Then it talks about Survival battle details in more depth. Only things that really stood out to me is every faction has access to all the survival battles, so if you play as Skarbrand, I guess you'll be facing off against Khorne enemies. Your recruitment pool depends on your Legendary Lord, and you bring in your own personal stacks from campaign, not a default one.

That timing tho Double 0

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really afraid Survival Battles are just going to be this gigantic slog in every campaign. Playing through gimmicky quest battles was OK since you can always swap lords even in the same faction, and I could even get behind big finale battles certain factions have, but doing all of that on top of multiple survival battles? I'd really rather not.

Here's hoping they're autoresolvable.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I like most changes but i'd prefer if the blog post had more pictures of the UI and battles; even if it had a lot of placeholder art.

I'm like Hella in that survival battles still feel like a slog; specially if there will be at least 5/ campaign (one for each chaos god + belakor).
If survival battles are only in wh3 campaign, i guess that can be fine. If it is in imortal empires, i don't know; it just sounds like work instead of fun.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
iFirez Loved the UI Video; it shows the incredible talent of CA, specially the Sofia studio.
After watching this I am still wishing Sofia gets the budget for a full total war their UI and ambitious mechanics are a very fresh take on total war.

I can't wait for Troy to arrive on steam!

(also feel free to leak animations for Oxy!)

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
iFirez Loved the UI Video; it shows the incredible talent of CA, specially the Sofia studio.
After watching this I am still wishing Sofia gets the budget for a full total war their UI and ambitious mechanics are a very fresh take on total war.

I can't wait for Troy to arrive on steam!

(also feel free to leak animations for Oxy!)
Glad you enjoyed it, I'm personally working on a lot of stuff right now so video content on the CA channel may slow a little while some of the devs finish up Warhammer 3 but hopefully we can get some videos on other popular topics posted soon. The Sofia team are a talented bunch for sure, their Studio over in Sofia is amazing too, I've visited twice! Troy is just the beginning for them in my eyes but first, as you said, it is Troy on Steam!

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Looks like the little Total Warhammer trailer released today had one of those "hidden in plain sight" reveals for the upcoming DLC, showing a Troglodon.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
Anyone got the deets on the PC Gamer feature for Warhammer 3?

available on the reddit if you want to see it yourself but its just a story about writer's experience with the survival battle demo and khorne/kislev details. literally nothing new if you've been paying attention to online coverage.

Last edited:

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
I commissioned a Thanquol and Boneripper off Etsy a while back and it just came in.

TcAbldT.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out :)

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
So am I getting Tomb Kings or Coast during the Summer Sale while we wait for Beastmen?