• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
User Warned - Inappropriate commentary
Not a fan of Total war games but i share the devastating feeling for you peeps. Always shitty. Never forgive epic for pulling this whoreshit.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm picking that up.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
This is absolute enormous get for Epic, damn. Dudes are trying to get every PC franchise, next thing is Football Manager 2021 exclusive for Epic.

I will get this for free, yes.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sounds like this is a One-Off.

First of all: this is an opportunity for TROY specifically, and we have no plans for future games to be Epic exclusives. As developers we truly value our existing fans, but at the same time we want to reach new audiences and have as many people as possible experiencing the thrill of Total War for themselves. As a business that means putting Total War onto new platforms so that it can reach more players. This is part of that and in principal we'd like future Total War titles to be simultaneously available, from launch day, on as many store fronts as possible.

Right now, this is a one-time, one-year exclusive deal for TROY. We've always said that Saga titles allow us to experiment, and this is an experiment on a grand scale. TROY seemed like a good game to try this out with, especially as pre-orders aren't live on Steam yet, so no one's already put money into a store they'll have to wait 12 extra months for it to appear on.

So now that's out the way, here's a little more backstory. Epic approached us and asked if TROY could be an Epic exclusive, as part of a commercial deal. That's not to say that we immediately signed on the dotted line, or that money was the only reason that we did this (it's not!). It was a difficult decision, and you can be assured that there were a lot of differing opinions in the studio, and a lot of discussions about it – which largely focussed on what it would mean for you, the players.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was gonna make the thread but a bit too slow, anyways that's pretty great also the devs said they have no plans for their future games to be exclusive.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I thought publishers were past lying like this

store.steampowered.com

A Total War Saga: TROY on Steam

Inspired by The Iliad and brought to life through the award-winning strategy game series, A Total War Saga: TROY brings a blend of grand, turn-based empire management and spectacular real-time battles to the heart of the Trojan War.

3nbXLTL.png

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I am incredibly disappointed with this move, and hope they won't make similar mistakes in future.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
So Samurai Shodown NeoGeo Collection wasn't a one off. Free at launch (for a week, or a day) is a new EGS strategy.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Hold up. I'm having problems processing this. I can get a brand new game, one that would probably cost $40USD, for free if I get it within the first 24 hours? Epic was holding back their ultimate weapon if this is the case.

Either way, to the Steam forums. I can hear the rage from here.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I am incredibly disappointed with this move, and hope they won't make similar mistakes in future.

They said it's a one off and give their reasons in the Blog Post.

Also they say this:

Finally, we've got just one favour to ask – however you feel about this, please keep any criticism to the studio as a whole, and don't take it out on individual employees that you might find on various social media platforms.). We get it. It's unexpected. But they're not going to be able to change anything, and probably weren't the ones who made the decision regardless.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Absolutely devastated that I'll get the game for free.

First the SamSho collection, and now this. I hope Epic has more of these lined up between these two releases :P

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So now that's out the way, here's a little more backstory. Epic approached us and asked if TROY could be an Epic exclusive, as part of a commercial deal. That's not to say that we immediately signed on the dotted line, or that money was the only reason that we did this (it's not!). It was a difficult decision, and you can be assured that there were a lot of differing opinions in the studio, and a lot of discussions about it – which largely focussed on what it would mean for you, the players.

However, ultimately we considered two things. First we're at a time when we're looking to invest more into the ongoing development of Total War this felt like an opportunity to really move the franchise forward by getting it in front of more people. Secondly, Epic were paying for our players to have our latest release free on day one. For Total War's 20th birthday, that felt like an opportunity too good to pass up.

As mentioned, and like others in the industry, a key reason for exploring other digital stores is that we don't want to be limited just to Steam. We also want to diversify our business. In fact, we want to get our games onto as many stores as possible. Long term, we want to expand where players find Total War. This deal gives us a great way to try out other platforms, such as Epic – to see what works for us and what doesn't. It allows us to get a feel for the development required to expand to other platforms, and it's relatively risk-free for you, too, as the game's available for free when claimed in the first 24 hours.

It's always funny how same-day availability on both Steam and EGS (and other venues) never seems to be quite good enough for Epic or publishers when it comes to "platform diversification." Disappointing decision from Creative Assembly, but the 24-hour offer is nice for those who don't particularly care where they play their games.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
WAIT WHAT. How much EGS paid SEGA to make a new Total War release FREE for a day???

I have no problem with EGS but no mods for a Total War game sucks ass.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Disappointed you're getting it for free? OK.
Some for sure but a lot of people still don't like free stuff to play if its glued to egs :)
Then that's on them. If you're getting free shit, quality free shit at that, I'm going to start to think you just love Steam a bit too much if you complain about it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Epic were paying for our players to have our latest release free on day one. For Total War's 20th birthday, that felt like an opportunity too good to pass up.

Can't really argue with that.

Must've got a chunk of change for this!

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Was gonna make the thread but a bit too slow, anyways that's pretty great also the devs said they have no plans for their future games to be exclusive.

Currently is the key word here but i hope they stick to their word.
I mean its disgusting for them to do that to a cult fan favourite.. so yeah its pretty shitty?
Giving away a game for free?
Thats just one part of the equation, the other being that its glued to a buggy piece of software..

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Not a fan of Total war games but i share the devastating feeling for you peeps. Always shitty. Never forgive epic for pulling this whoreshit.
Yeah, I will definitely remember Epic for this sacrilege.
How dare they giving me this, and many other games for free!

Wait a minute...

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Console Waring
I'll never understand the modern console warriors

I mean it's not even a "i'd have to buy other hardware" now, it's literally download a launcher