• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be making the OT so when i research more for it it will have more in depth information. That said i'll be listing the biggest changes a bit further down. The first idea i want you to understand that 3k is more focused in the campaign instead of in battle. More or less every faction has access to similar troops (through obviously some factions will have better cavalry, others better swords,etc.).
The biggest changes are:
  • Guanxi system -> now every character when spawned always exists. So when you dismiss a general from your faction he can work for other factions. Alongside this each char has relationships with other characters as well as traits. These traits dictate how that char will act, from demanding highly prestigious positions to being happy just being your general
  • Spy system -> Utilizing the guanxi system you can send your chars to spy on other factions. This mechanic seems to have quite a bit of depth with the ability to ask for your spy to defect with his army as well as causing civil wars.
  • Army compositions -> instead of 1 general 19 units per army 3k will have 3 generals with 6 units each per army.
  • Diplomacy revamped -> diplomacy has a lot of new tools from coalitions to trading food so that interactions between factions will happen more organicaly
  • "End game" threat is not an invasion ->
    Once you reach the rank of emperor the 2 strongest factions will also become emperors. This makes a 3 way war between these factions whose objective is to conquer the 2 other capitals
  • Romance VS historical -> 2 different ways to play the game. In romance generals are like heros of the warhammer game; in historical mode generals have a retinue. there are other differences such as the color pallete (more vibrant colors for romance) .
Some minor but important changes:
  • supply lines -> each armies has supplies so if you spend too much time in enemy territory you will take attrition.
  • Economy is dependent of city population -> instead of just buildings the income of settlements is dependent of the population of the settlement. this means war torn lands will be less profitable then stable cities.
  • Provinces have 1 major settlement and several minor towns that usually don't have walls.
  • characters have classes-> each class gives different bonuses, for example strategists allow the use of formations to more effectively use their troops
  • Duel system -> characters can have a duel in battle mode.
  • Non unique generals can become legendary if their attributes go high enough.

I think those are the major changes between 3k and wh. Note that i avental played and it is mostly from information CA has given.
Awesome, thanks a LOT for the great writeup and this sounds amazing!

-Amon-

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Total war warhammer 2 had terrible load times. Ars Tecnica review of TW2 says that without an SSD the wait is really long.

Can anybody who's already playng three kingdoms comment on load times ?

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Any idea how demanding is the game? Would my humble i5 4460 + GTX 970 né able to handle it well?

Perturabo

Oct 27, 2017
v852yw51iky21.jpg

My reaction seeing all these reviews. So hyped for next week!

Burbank

Sep 9, 2018
Pangea
How is mod support, and how are the AI's (BAI in particular)?

I'll get it regardless I guess, but maybe sooner if it has improved AI.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
For those that have mostly only played the Warhammer games and are wondering about whether to try this, Loremaster of Sotek posted a review/impressions video for 3K from that perspective which may help you decide. He had low expectations going in but ended up giving the game a 9/10.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
I prob won't get it since I'm not interested in the setting but it's great to see that they put out a qaulity product. CA is slowly regaining my trust in regards to the state of their launches

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they can keep up the quality of DLC that they have been bringing to TWW. Looking forward to playing this for years to come.

OP
OP
Kaffeemann

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
One thing I'm a bit worried about is replayability compared to the Warhammer title.
Factions, their mechanics and units are massively more varied in Warhammer.
In 3K most units are available to all factions and there is significantly less diversity overall. The tech tree and general types are the same for everyone as well. So it could feels pretty repetitive after a couple of campaigns.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I'm a bit worried about is replayability compared to the Warhammer title.
In 3K most units are available to all factions and there is significantly less diversity overall. The tech tree and general types are the same for everyone as well. So it could feels pretty repetitive after a couple of campaigns.
If lords are as important and dynamic as previews suggest, it should lend itself to some pretty divergent campaigns. Having lords that can die will change things up a lot, on top of traits and stuff affecting the dynamics between factions & characters.

louris

Oct 27, 2017

Shogun 2 has very little differences between factions and how they play, but it is by far my most played TW game ever. Replayability is dependent on much more, not just on faction diversity.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
total war youtubers will be the end of me.

Is there at least one of them who spent 2 minutes studying chinese names pronunciation? They sound like they come from Dynasty Warriors 3

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Always been to intimidated to play these games but this setting has me really interested

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think a fair few are. I've been watching MrSmartDonkey's Liu Bei campaign and he's using Chinese. Also (from my pathetic understanding at least) he doesn't seem too awful at the pronounciations and solicits feedback for the ones he thinks are wrong. It's been fun so far.

I'm tentatively waiting for the inevitable Dynasty Warriors VO mod. Nothing but the worst for me.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I only learned that it was pronounced more like "Sao Sao" this year. (Thanks, Austin Walker.)