• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I never cared for TW but three kingdoms is drawing me in like crazy

why are there some luke<warm reviews?

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Lovely reviews, but I'll hold off for now.
I've brought enough TW games to know how the first week or two goes

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Question for you and the other Medieval III fans - would you be down with a Romance type mode? Where the generals step up to hero character tier.

I think that makes sense in the context of Chine tradition, but i dont think Europe tended to elevate their leaders quite as much. If they did, it was mostly about their piety or faith rather than being super heroes in combat....

I gueas there are some exceptions.

But no, for me personally id rather. They not bother and instead soe t ti.e creating more diversity with a more realistic roster.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Question for you and the other Medieval III fans - would you be down with a Romance type mode? Where the generals step up to hero character tier.

Ehhh, not really. Doesn't make too much sense for the setting, and I personally prefer generals surrounded by a bodyguard unit, directing the battle and providing support from the rear. Adding more character and interactive depth to the campaign a la CK2 as Three Kingdoms seems to be doing is absolutely a step in the right direction, though.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Waiting for the inevitable Koei's RoTK portrait pack mod. Seeing some notable officers as generics here break my heart.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeaaaaaaas.

Why we haven't gotten 2v2 or more head to head on campaign yet is killing me though. You can do like 3v3 in battles. Yet we can do hotseat MP on the map?

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Yeaaaaaaas.

Why we haven't gotten 2v2 or more head to head on campaign yet is killing me though. You can do like 3v3 in battles. Yet we can do hotseat MP on the map?
I really don't see how it could be hard to implement when 2 player multiplayer is already a thing.

Sure many people would find it too slow with more than two players, but just like with games like civilization, heroes and might and magic, age of wonders etc.... let the players make that choice. Heck we are on PC it's not like people can't just alt-tab and do something else during other players turns.

I would have like 10-20x more play time on TW games if it had more than 2 players campaigns, I have at least 3-4 friends who like them too, but the inability to play together usually make us play somehing else when we are available.

Still hoping it might happen for Warhammer 3 thought I doubt it.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see how it could be hard to implement when 2 player multiplayer is already a thing.

Sure many people would find it too slow with more than two players, but just like with games like civilization, heroes and might and magic, age of wonders etc.... let the players make that choice. Heck we are on PC it's not like people can't just alt-tab and do something else during other players turns.

I would have like 10-20x more play time on TW games if it had more than 2 players campaigns, I have at least 3-4 friends who like them too, but the inability to play together usually make us play somehing else when we are available.
Same. I have friends who want go get in. But can't as they want to join us (we're the TW guys and they just want to kind of join in). 2v2 would be amazing for us. All the schemes and machinations lol.

We are so good at TW Warhammer 1 and 2 respectively. That even on legendary with AI mods for difficulty and cheats we basically just snowball and steamroll. So we almost always go head to head now, but it would be so much more fun with 4 or more players.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played a TW game in a while since I'm not a big Warhammer fan, but really looking forward to three kingdoms. Glad the reviews seem solid.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Total War is basically the only yearly(ish) franchise I still feel comfortable preordering on a regular basis. Nice to know CA hasn't let me down.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Looking forward to the game, fingers crossed for the AI!

My most anticipated game this year. As a player who like the campaign strategy better than the battles, the improvements made in 3k look amazing.

Also IGN gave it a 9.3. Might want to add it to the OP.
If you play total war for the campaign the paradox games such as EU IV will probably be a better fit then total war.
I never cared for TW but three kingdoms is drawing me in like crazy

why are there some luke<warm reviews?
From what I read a lot of people are comparing 3k to Warhammer (previous total war).
The main ingredient of Warhammer success is the huge amount of diversity. In Warhammer every faction has their own campaign mechanics as well as an almost completely unique roster. Eleven subfractions themselves have twists so they don't play the same. In 3k every faction is a slightly different variations of humans with some similar campaign mechanics.

In my view it is extremely dishonest comparing the 2 games because of their setting. What 3k lacks in faction variation should compensate with detail (such as more complex campaign mechanics, civil wars, equipment is visible in models, etc)

Reviewers should be comparing 3k to Attila/throb which were the latest historical titles games.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked that the game came out okay at the beginning lol. I love Creative Assembly but I'm conditioned to wait for Total War games to have their bugs ironed out.

But it sounds like this one is a winner from the get go.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Woops, going to post this from the other thread. didn't see it at first.

Hey everybody! I hope this isn't bad, but I received a couple copies to play it in coop. I love Total War, but skill level wise I'm a normal player, and my friend is a vet from the very beginning. If you guys have any questions, please feel free to ask and hopefully this video provides some insight.

So far, it's the most polished a Total War has been by a longshot. In terms of bugs and just overall game balance.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Are all five of Liu Bei's Tiger Generals in this?

I always play liu Bei because i
Love the brotherhood between Liu bei and Guan Yu And Zhang Fei

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
Are all five of Liu Bei's Tiger Generals in this?

I always play liu Bei because i
Love the brotherhood between Liu bei and Guan Yu And Zhang Fei
They're all in as unique legendary characters, but Liu Bei won't necessarily end up with them all because it's a sandbox game. He starts with Guan Yu and Zhang Fei, but Huang Zhong starts under Liu Biao, Zhao Yun is under Gongsun Zan, and Ma Chao is under Ma Teng.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
psyched, building my first gaming pc now and this will be one of the first games I buy.
My most anticipated game this year. As a player who like the campaign strategy better than the battles, the improvements made in 3k look amazing.

Also IGN gave it a 9.3. Might want to add it to the OP.
IGN ratings are similar to WeRateDogs ratings. Everything is a at least a 9.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
These are good reviews. That the battles can't reach the highs of Warhammer is no surprise. There's really not much you can do unless you are willing to forgo any historical believability.

The upside is that they seem to have done a really good job with the campaign parts of the game this time around. They've experimented a bit lately and i hope this is the title that brings it all toghether on the strategic map.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
psyched, building my first gaming pc now and this will be one of the first games I buy.

IGN ratings are similar to WeRateDogs ratings. Everything is a at least a 9.
Eh, the guy reviewing 3k for IGN is actually pretty well known in the community. He does the "what' do the patch notes really mean" for paradox games, and his reviews have been fair in the past, so I wouldn't discount the review.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
These are good reviews. That the battles can't reach the highs of Warhammer is no surprise. There's really not much you can do unless you are willing to forgo any historical believability.

The upside is that they seem to have done a really good job with the campaign parts of the game this time around. They've experimented a bit lately and i hope this is the title that brings it all toghether on the strategic map.
I'm super psyched about the GC aspect of 3K as I feel that's where TW has been floundering the most over the past few releases so seeing that the new additions to the formula are done well makes me super excited. I am personally a little worried about the battles though having spoken to people who have had early access as well as reading and watching content on it. I've heard several statements along the lines of "it's fine but falls short of the best historical titles". Specifically compared to Shogun 2 (my personal high point of the TW series) I've heard that the battles feel like a step back. Though if they're on par with at least R2/Atilla/ToB I will be happy enough.

Still buying it though as I'm a sucker for TW and know I will love it.

Specsranger

Cinematic Artist
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
UK
Shameless plug of the Launch Trailer to show off the hard work from our dept (along with the help of many others)

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Shameless plug of the Launch Trailer to show off the hard work from our dept (along with the help of many others)

i still don't know how you can make so many cool trailers with models from a strategy game. I can't imagine the hoops you have to deal to use in-engine models instead of the usual CG trailers.
Zheng Jiang trailer was so bad ass!
But can you fuck your sister?
For a moment I thought i was in a crusader kings 2 thread

Specsranger

Cinematic Artist
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
UK
Stunning trailer, probably the best I've ever seen for a historical TW. It's made using the engine, right?

Also huge props for the music in this game it's genuinely beautiful.

Hah, humbling to hear that. Yep, it's all in-engine!

i still don't know how you can make so many cool trailers with models from a strategy game. I can't imagine the hoops you have to deal to use in-engine models instead of the usual CG trailers.

It's not easy that's for sure! But the artist's behind the characters and environment have been doing fantastic work pushing the envelope with each project. Lighting our shots to complement their work really goes a long way too.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Yeah, the Zheng Jiang and Dong Zhou trailers were really well done for in-engine.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good video or article that run downs all that is new or different in the game for someone like me who's only TW experience is with the Warhammer games?

Other than the setting and the lack of magic spells obviously.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Is there a good video or article that run downs all that is new or different in the game for someone like me who's only TW experience is with the Warhammer games?

I don't know that there's one video or article. I'd just look through this playlist. You can kinda skip the battle and LP stuff if you want, look more for the diplomacy videos, spies, heroes and guanxi and empire building.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Will probably get this. I love the 3 Kingdoms period. Hell, I pretty much own every RTK game made by Koei.( XIII with expansion is pretty damn good)

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a new graphics card because that was the weakest part of my PC and I want to get those ultra settings. Getting hyped!

I think Total War might be my favorite franchise. The games are consistently awesome and it's the only series that combines a turn-based campaign map with RTS battles. There's really nothing else that scratches the same itch. I can't get into Civ or the Paradox games because the combat is so lackluster but Total War has that perfect harmony of the two aspects. I think it and Battlefield are the only series that I still buy that I've been playing since I started gaming. Always ready for a new Total War.

Also for new folks to the series. Rome 1 is often considered the best but design has improved so much since then that it's difficult to go back. I think the latest I generally go back to is Empire at this point. It was criticized at launch but I think it became the series' best hidden gem. Honestly you could just pick your favorite time period to jump in. You like samurai, Shogun 2. Like Rome, Rome II. Hate Rome, Attila. Like Medieval times, Medieval II.

Medieval II is a 10/10 for me but it is a little on the old side for newcomers. I just really love a lot of the mechanics like the pope, crusades, and the variation. It goes from early middle ages, through the mongol invasions, all the way to finding the new world.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
The graphics look really good, but the character skin textures looks like they're made of clay.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
The game does provide a way for you to recruit characters however, I currently assembled the Shu army with all of the generals you'd expect.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

I'll be making the OT so when i research more for it it will have more in depth information. That said i'll be listing the biggest changes a bit further down. The first idea i want you to understand that 3k is more focused in the campaign instead of in battle. More or less every faction has access to similar troops (through obviously some factions will have better cavalry, others better swords,etc.).
The biggest changes are:
  • Guanxi system -> now every character when spawned always exists. So when you dismiss a general from your faction he can work for other factions. Alongside this each char has relationships with other characters as well as traits. These traits dictate how that char will act, from demanding highly prestigious positions to being happy just being your general
  • Spy system -> Utilizing the guanxi system you can send your chars to spy on other factions. This mechanic seems to have quite a bit of depth with the ability to ask for your spy to defect with his army as well as causing civil wars.
  • Army compositions -> instead of 1 general 19 units per army 3k will have 3 generals with 6 units each per army.
  • Diplomacy revamped -> diplomacy has a lot of new tools from coalitions to trading food so that interactions between factions will happen more organicaly
  • "End game" threat is not an invasion ->
    Once you reach the rank of emperor the 2 strongest factions will also become emperors. This makes a 3 way war between these factions whose objective is to conquer the 2 other capitals
  • Romance VS historical -> 2 different ways to play the game. In romance generals are like heros of the warhammer game; in historical mode generals have a retinue. there are other differences such as the color pallete (more vibrant colors for romance) .
Some minor but important changes:
  • supply lines -> each armies has supplies so if you spend too much time in enemy territory you will take attrition.
  • Economy is dependent of city population -> instead of just buildings the income of settlements is dependent of the population of the settlement. this means war torn lands will be less profitable then stable cities.
  • Provinces have 1 major settlement and several minor towns that usually don't have walls.
  • characters have classes-> each class gives different bonuses, for example strategists allow the use of formations to more effectively use their troops
  • Duel system -> characters can have a duel in battle mode.
  • Non unique generals can become legendary if their attributes go high enough.

I think those are the major changes between 3k and wh. Note that i avental played and it is mostly from information CA has given.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Also it uses the mustering system from Thrones of Britannia. So instead of spending 1-3 turns and then getting a full unit you recruit a partial strength unit in one turn that will populate over the course of some turns determined by your replenishment. So early game when populations are low it can take awhile to recover or recruit new units but it should go down over time in populated lands.