• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Troy DLC will be realeased soon. I can't wait for CA to announce the next DLC for 3k. I really want to dive in again but i don't know whent he DLC is coming. If it is in feb/early march i'd rather wait before starting a new campaign.

I also hope the DLC gives more unique chars. THe game still heavily needs new chars; specially for the non 3k warlords; like yuan Shao.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
They have to have something announced soon for the Lunar New Year right? I hope so at least.

Have you tried any of the various mods that add a lot of unique characters? I've been playing with Wu Kingdaissance and enjoy it quite a bit, though it alters balance quite a bit on top of the unique characters.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
They have to have something announced soon for the Lunar New Year right? I hope so at least.

Have you tried any of the various mods that add a lot of unique characters? I've been playing with Wu Kingdaissance and enjoy it quite a bit, though it alters balance quite a bit on top of the unique characters.
I hope so!
Supposedly CA was working on 2 DLC: an expansion pack like nanman one and a chapter pack.
The chapter pack has to be Guan Du. Yuan Shao and Gong Sun Zan have almost 0 unique chars on their factions so the new chars could fulfill their rosters. Alongside this Zhang He is suspiciously missing.
The expansion can go 2 ways. Either expanding north to add a new culture or focus on Korea. After all in the previous patch Korea got a couple of regions.

I tried the mods. IMO MTU is much more to my taste, while it adds less chars IMO they are "better" designed; some of them the campaign art can pass as CA's work. I also like that these mods significantly add unique ladies. It is super disappointing that most women in 3k are generic.
That said the "problem" of mods is that, usually, speaking the 3D in battle model feels "cut and paste" from other chars. Generally speaking CA's 3D model feel very unique and "superior" to the mods.
One thing i really like about these char mods is that the game is still super stable. I dont' think i have had crashes with these mods. (looks at warhammer and med 2 crashing)

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
they do have several teams BUT i imagine they won't compete with themselves and run the marketing campaign for warhammer 3 alongside 3k DLC.

Would they?

Really, I think it depends how far away Warhammer 3 is from now. If it's a launch soon, yeah...but if it's like a Summer/Fall launch, I think they can do both, if 3K DLC comes in the next month or two.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I hope you are right! i want a 3k DLC so badly XD

Indeed. I've heard talk of the Northern Tribes, plus they added the Korean Peninsula, so I have to imagine that will be a future update. Who knows what our next FreeLCs will be as well.

Plus, eventually, we have to get to a start date of 220 CE, when the Han Dynasty is officially over and the Three Kingdoms period begins (220-280 CE). Would be odd to have a Three Kingdoms game without eventually getting that start date.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I hope you are right! i want a 3k DLC so badly XD

Well, given Warhammer III only listed 2021 (and not a specific point in the year), I imagine it won't be particularly soon, so that shouldn't impact the next DLC for Three Kingdoms. Possibly even the one after that depending upon how late into 2021 Warhammer III is and how soon we get the first DLC.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Well, given Warhammer III only listed 2021 (and not a specific point in the year), I imagine it won't be particularly soon, so that shouldn't impact the next DLC for Three Kingdoms. Possibly even the one after that depending upon how late into 2021 Warhammer III is and how soon we get the first DLC.
there is also another wh2 DLC incoming so i don't know what 3k plans are and I hope you are right because this is my 2nd fav total war game.
I have always wanted Total war dynasty warriors three kingdoms and i hope that it gets the content i want it deserves!

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to jump in yesterday due to the big sales. I like the artstyle, but the UI seems super messy and busy compared to TWWH

Jan 10, 2018
Just started playing this game, which is my first Total War game, and it's been a while since I felt this overwhelmed by various mechanics and systems. I was also surprised that the game doesn't really tell you any basic strategies for the battles. "These are the units and this is how you move them around" was basically the entire introduction.

Due to this lack of information I'm in dire need of a video or written guide that goes over the basics of army battles. Does anyone have anything resourceful they can share?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Just started playing this game, which is my first Total War game, and it's been a while since I felt this overwhelmed by various mechanics and systems. I was also surprised that the game doesn't really tell you any basic strategies for the battles. "These are the units and this is how you move them around" was basically the entire introduction.

Due to this lack of information I'm in dire need of a video or written guide that goes over the basics of army battles. Does anyone have anything resourceful they can share?

I think this is a good starting point. I think there are also Total War Academy videos built into the game but I forget offhand how to access them. Maybe through the ESC menu in game?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Stole this from reddit, but for sure Ulrika Magdova would make for an excellent Kislev Legendary Lord.

16861a0.png

So what if she's a Lahmian vampire, she's a Boyar (or Boyarinya) first.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Thank you! Will watch it.

Yes, there are a couple of videos but they don't cover basic strategies.

You can get through a good amount of the game with just a solid front line of shielded infantry, a handful of bows behind them and a couple units of cav on the flanks. Just don't charge your horses headlong into spears and let them get focused by enemy ranged and you should be ok. Also your non-blue generals are extremely strong, don't worry about throwing them headlong into anything that isn't cavalry, so long as again you avoid charging spears from the front. If you spend some time microing them to charge a unit, pull through turn around and charge again you can wipe/route most units without losing much health.

Jan 10, 2018
So I'm confused about a detail regarding the commanding general role. I've watched two beginner guides for my chosen leader, Liu Bei, and both of them recommended that Guan Yu (my champion) should be made commanding general. Reviewing his stats he has a buff of 25% campaign movement range and 5% replenishment. However, when I choose him as my commanding general my army action points seem to decrease by about 25%. What does this mean exactly and how should I weigh these factors?

It feels kind of weird to not have my faction leader as the main commander. Maybe not from a lore perspective though as Lui Bei seems to have no issues with not being the top authority.

-edit-

Bonus question: In my character setup I seem to have a court character, named Jian Yong, that has no specific role. Should I make him my chancellor so that he doesn't grow dissatisfied?

Last edited:
OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Teku i'm sorry for the late reply but i jsut can't find the time to write more. COVID vacination is taking a shit load of my time.

I don't use youtube much so hopefully someone chimes in on some good ways.

That said i can explain the basic total war mechanics. First if you are knowledgeable about real fighting/historic battles; ignore all that most total wars are a very hollywood-esque approach to battles.
The basic idea is: spear beats horse; horse beats sword; sword beats spear; archers hurt everyone from afar but are very weak in melee; artillery deals heavy damage but is very slow and has low accuracy.

Each unit can have "tiers". In most games usually called light, medium or heavy. So an heavy spear infantry will be slightly slower than other spear infantry but its armour and stats should allow it to beat most other spear infantry; maybe even light/medium sword infantry.

In 3 kingdoms. Spear units are green, sword units are purple, archers and artillery are blue and cavalry can be yellow or red.
Yellow cavalry is usually armoured and shielded; perfect to attack archers and can support melee fights. In historical titles it is usually called melee cav.
Red cavalry is usually unarmoured, fast but has big lances; perfect to charge the sides or preferably the rear guard of units. They are however extremely vulnerable to prolonged fights; so you should charge them, let them fight for 10 or so IRL seconds and withdrawn them from combat. When some space is between the unit and the enemy, charge again. you should keep this cycle until the enemy flees. This cavalary is usually called shock cav.

Usually in every historical title the fights should go this way.
Your melee units engage the enemy melee units while your archers either focus on key units (red cav or unshielded infantry) or enemy archers. At the same time your cavalry should be either wiping the enemy cavalry, going after the enemy archers/artillery or preparing to charge on the rear of the enemy melee infantry.
Which of these 3 decisions is best depends on your situation.

So I'm confused about a detail regarding the commanding general role. I've watched two beginner guides for my chosen leader, Liu Bei, and both of them recommended that Guan Yu (my champion) should be made commanding general. Reviewing his stats he has a buff of 25% campaign movement range and 5% replenishment. However, when I choose him as my commanding general my army action points seem to decrease by about 25%. What does this mean exactly and how should I weigh these factors?

It feels kind of weird to not have my faction leader as the main commander. Maybe not from a lore perspective though as Lui Bei seems to have no issues with not being the top authority.

-edit-

Bonus question: In my character setup I seem to have a court character, named Jian Yong, that has no specific role. Should I make him my chancellor so that he doesn't grow dissatisfied?
Personally i choose the comanding general the weakest char. Mostly because in total war general units are every strong. 3k allows you to have 1 commanding general that is weak (for example a strategist- the blue class) and then be really agressive with your other heroes. For example Guan yu can easily wipe 2-3 enemy generals in a fight.
In battle losing the general/leader of the army gives a big morale penalty (-15 if i remember correctly) while losing the other generals only gives a penalty to their retinues.
This means that you can easily use guan yu to snipe 2-3 generals in a big fight and if he falls because he gets surrounded/overwhelmed most of your army is still in the fight.

That said total war games are a sandbox and truth be told min-maxing stuff will just make the game boring as the AI can't compete with that. So my advice is to just have fun and roleplay whatever you like. The game doesn't really need you to ace the game to win it specially in the lower dificulties.
To my knowledge most youtubers usually play on VH or even legendary where the bonuses for the AI are so high that they distort a lot of gameplay. For example on VH the AI gets so many morale buffs that militia units can hold their ground agaisnt a professional army. In normal dificulty those units will be routing the momment they see your cavalry near their rearguard.

In terms of chars in your court you shouldn't promote them "just because" mostly because higher offices have higher salaries and each char gives a special bonus in each position. So i'd choose chars that i either want their bonus or are powerful enough that i don't want them to defect. (higher level chars are relatively harder to keep in your faction unless they have good relationships with chars inside your faction)

For example for the mighty Lu Bu i'd give up any shit to keep his traitorous ass inside my faction. He can singlehandedly turn the tide of any battle so he is perfect to make suicide attacks into pyrrhic victories.

lastly don't forget to feel free to reduce the campaign and/or battle difficulty if you are finding the game hard. those difficulties are mostly bonuses/maluses for the AI/player.

Jan 10, 2018
Teku i'm sorry for the late reply but i jsut can't find the time to write more. COVID vacination is taking a shit load of my time.

I don't use youtube much so hopefully someone chimes in on some good ways.

That said i can explain the basic total war mechanics. First if you are knowledgeable about real fighting/historic battles; ignore all that most total wars are a very hollywood-esque approach to battles.
The basic idea is: spear beats horse; horse beats sword; sword beats spear; archers hurt everyone from afar but are very weak in melee; artillery deals heavy damage but is very slow and has low accuracy.

Each unit can have "tiers". In most games usually called light, medium or heavy. So an heavy spear infantry will be slightly slower than other spear infantry but its armour and stats should allow it to beat most other spear infantry; maybe even light/medium sword infantry.

In 3 kingdoms. Spear units are green, sword units are purple, archers and artillery are blue and cavalry can be yellow or red.
Yellow cavalry is usually armoured and shielded; perfect to attack archers and can support melee fights. In historical titles it is usually called melee cav.
Red cavalry is usually unarmoured, fast but has big lances; perfect to charge the sides or preferably the rear guard of units. They are however extremely vulnerable to prolonged fights; so you should charge them, let them fight for 10 or so IRL seconds and withdrawn them from combat. When some space is between the unit and the enemy, charge again. you should keep this cycle until the enemy flees. This cavalary is usually called shock cav.

Usually in every historical title the fights should go this way.
Your melee units engage the enemy melee units while your archers either focus on key units (red cav or unshielded infantry) or enemy archers. At the same time your cavalry should be either wiping the enemy cavalry, going after the enemy archers/artillery or preparing to charge on the rear of the enemy melee infantry.
Which of these 3 decisions is best depends on your situation.

Personally i choose the comanding general the weakest char. Mostly because in total war general units are every strong. 3k allows you to have 1 commanding general that is weak (for example a strategist- the blue class) and then be really agressive with your other heroes. For example Guan yu can easily wipe 2-3 enemy generals in a fight.
In battle losing the general/leader of the army gives a big morale penalty (-15 if i remember correctly) while losing the other generals only gives a penalty to their retinues.
This means that you can easily use guan yu to snipe 2-3 generals in a big fight and if he falls because he gets surrounded/overwhelmed most of your army is still in the fight.

That said total war games are a sandbox and truth be told min-maxing stuff will just make the game boring as the AI can't compete with that. So my advice is to just have fun and roleplay whatever you like. The game doesn't really need you to ace the game to win it specially in the lower dificulties.
To my knowledge most youtubers usually play on VH or even legendary where the bonuses for the AI are so high that they distort a lot of gameplay. For example on VH the AI gets so many morale buffs that militia units can hold their ground agaisnt a professional army. In normal dificulty those units will be routing the momment they see your cavalry near their rearguard.

In terms of chars in your court you shouldn't promote them "just because" mostly because higher offices have higher salaries and each char gives a special bonus in each position. So i'd choose chars that i either want their bonus or are powerful enough that i don't want them to defect. (higher level chars are relatively harder to keep in your faction unless they have good relationships with chars inside your faction)

For example for the mighty Lu Bu i'd give up any shit to keep his traitorous ass inside my faction. He can singlehandedly turn the tide of any battle so he is perfect to make suicide attacks into pyrrhic victories.

lastly don't forget to feel free to reduce the campaign and/or battle difficulty if you are finding the game hard. those difficulties are mostly bonuses/maluses for the AI/player.

Thank you so much for all the advice! I've spent the last couple of days just watching tutorials on Youtube and I am still very unsure about certain things. I've made the smallest mistakes which have cost me so much that I've almost given up playing. In terms of introducing new players this is by far one of the most ruthless experiences I've ever had. The in-game tutorials, the overwhelming interface and opening scenarios are just so poorly designed from a beginner friendly perspective.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
iFirez
It probably isn't part of your job but it might be interesting to read tekku's comment.

Thank you so much for all the advice! I've spent the last couple of days just watching tutorials on Youtube and I am still very unsure about certain things. I've made the smallest mistakes which have cost me so much that I've almost given up playing. In terms of introducing new players this is by far one of the most ruthless experiences I've ever had. The in-game tutorials, the overwhelming interface and opening scenarios are just so poorly designed from a beginner friendly perspective.
I agree that the tutorial sucks. I also want to mention that the later (as in more time after the original release) the mroe outdated the tutorial is. The game gets a lot of improvements and depth that didn't exist at launch; even if you don't buy any DLC.

My advice is always to put on the lowest dificulty setting and just play around with the campaign. It should allow you to get the gist of the mechanics.
The dificulty setting are just bonus/maluses to the AI/player respectively! so don't be embaressed to decrease that dificulty.

Feel free to continue posting here; I unfortunatly am recruited to be on the vacination front line so my free time is basically dead every time a wave of vaccines arrive.
Nevertheless i'll try to answer when i have time

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to just admit defeat and look up a guide for how to handle the early part of a Bandit Queen run. I keep ending up in largely unwinnable pile-ons.

Jan 10, 2018
Ok, some more questions:

1. When I see a faction name above a town banner that is outside of my field of vision, does it mean that the faction leader is currently occupying that town?
2. I do not really get the concept of counties and commanderies. Can a single commandery exist within several counties or only one?
3. What happens if I kill a faction leader - does all of their commanderies sign over to me or do I still need to conquer them?
4. I took over an ore mine and I want Jian Yong to be the administrator there because he has a 5% production bonus. How do I do this?
5. It says on the diplomacy map that Kong Rong is very friendly with a Han territory, yet he captures some of it. How will my relationship be affected if I also conquer this territory? The story missions seem to lead me this way.
6. I have zero idea on who I should appoint for my minister positions. All of my starting generals provide the exact same bonuses as chancellor, so I guess their stats are useless? I only have to look for their personality traits so that there is good synergy between all my court people?
7. Why is very woman that shows up a bitter old hag? They always seem to have really bad traits. I'm giving up hope of ever getting married...

Last edited:
OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Ok, some more questions:

1. When I see a faction name above a town banner that is outside of my field of vision, does it mean that the faction leader is currently occupying that town?
2. I do not really get the concept of counties and commanderies. Can a single commandery exist within several counties or only one?
3. What happens if I kill a faction leader - does all of their commanderies sign over to me or do I still need to conquer them?
4. I took over an ore mine and I want Jian Yong to be the administrator there because he has a 5% production bonus. How do I do this?
5. It says on the diplomacy map that Kong Rong is very friendly with a Han territory, yet he captures some of it. How will my relationship be affected if I also conquer this territory? The story missions seem to lead me this way.
6. I have zero idea on who I should appoint for my minister positions. All of my starting generals provide the exact same bonuses as chancellor, so I guess their stats are useless? I only have to look for their personality traits so that there is good synergy between all my court people?
  1. it means there is an army in the settlement. Not necessary to be the faction leader.
  2. I'll explain in broad sense so that yo ucan apply it for every (new-ish) total war. In total war map is divided by provinces. Each province has 2 to 4 settlements (cities). One of these settlements is the province capital- the province capital usually has walls by default as well as a big garison requiring some effort to conquer, specially at higher tiers. The other settlements usually give resources or some type of specific income. If you have all the settlements in a province you get awarded the ability to use edicts (which are slight bonuses to the province). In 3k it works similarly except there aren't any edicts; instead you can send chars in assignments. In 3k it is quite important to get complete provinces because 3k income can be heavily increased with bonuses. Think about it like this if you can get the base income from a province to be around 1000 you can relatively easy put a 200% income bonuses for it so you end you earning 4000 from that province. 4000 is enough to field an entire army.
  3. The heir of the faction gets the rest of the settlements. For example if you kill Wu's leader Sun Jian, Sun ce becomes the ruler of Wu
  4. Where you assign court people there is an administrator job. After being chosen ont he right side you can sellect the province. Do note that you need some level of renown to unlock administrators. I do also think there are also late game techs that unlock administrators
  5. The way to think of diplomacy in total war is like this. The friendlier the faction and higher the chance it agrees deals with you. The more the AI hates you the less inclined it will be to accpet deals. War isn't just decided by the opinion of a faction. A friendly faction can declare war on you and a hated faction can evade figthing you. I'll try to put it simply but the way AI chooses their targets is based on several factors. THe more important is if the AI think it can win against you (it calculates this by using their armies, their allies armies and your enemies armies VS you and your allies armies); If your territory is the easiest objective (for example an AI can be stronger then you but fight another weaker target first). It will try to prioritized unfriendly factions first if possible. It also will try to not break treaties unless it is called yuan shu. fuck that guy.
  6. each position usually has a certain ammount of bonus that are from that position. Some traits and perks can give more bonus to certain positions. Usually the description is something like this: This positions gives (a few buffs + increased salary) and this char on this position gives (1-2 buffs). The stats each char has are mostly for battle and administrative stuff. It is not necessary for the court to like each other but friendships makes chars more likely to stay on your faction and less likely to betray you. (I also hope you aren't paranoid because just so you know "every" char can be a spy; are you really sure Guan Yu isn't a Cao Cao spy? think about that)

hope teh above helps. English is not my first language so if it is confusing do tell me and i'll try to write it in another way.

Jan 10, 2018
  1. it means there is an army in the settlement. Not necessary to be the faction leader.
  2. I'll explain in broad sense so that yo ucan apply it for every (new-ish) total war. In total war map is divided by provinces. Each province has 2 to 4 settlements (cities). One of these settlements is the province capital- the province capital usually has walls by default as well as a big garison requiring some effort to conquer, specially at higher tiers. The other settlements usually give resources or some type of specific income. If you have all the settlements in a province you get awarded the ability to use edicts (which are slight bonuses to the province). In 3k it works similarly except there aren't any edicts; instead you can send chars in assignments. In 3k it is quite important to get complete provinces because 3k income can be heavily increased with bonuses. Think about it like this if you can get the base income from a province to be around 1000 you can relatively easy put a 200% income bonuses for it so you end you earning 4000 from that province. 4000 is enough to field an entire army.
  3. The heir of the faction gets the rest of the settlements. For example if you kill Wu's leader Sun Jian, Sun ce becomes the ruler of Wu
  4. Where you assign court people there is an administrator job. After being chosen ont he right side you can sellect the province. Do note that you need some level of renown to unlock administrators. I do also think there are also late game techs that unlock administrators
  5. The way to think of diplomacy in total war is like this. The friendlier the faction and higher the chance it agrees deals with you. The more the AI hates you the less inclined it will be to accpet deals. War isn't just decided by the opinion of a faction. A friendly faction can declare war on you and a hated faction can evade figthing you. I'll try to put it simply but the way AI chooses their targets is based on several factors. THe more important is if the AI think it can win against you (it calculates this by using their armies, their allies armies and your enemies armies VS you and your allies armies); If your territory is the easiest objective (for example an AI can be stronger then you but fight another weaker target first). It will try to prioritized unfriendly factions first if possible. It also will try to not break treaties unless it is called yuan shu. fuck that guy.
  6. each position usually has a certain ammount of bonus that are from that position. Some traits and perks can give more bonus to certain positions. Usually the description is something like this: This positions gives (a few buffs + increased salary) and this char on this position gives (1-2 buffs). The stats each char has are mostly for battle and administrative stuff. It is not necessary for the court to like each other but friendships makes chars more likely to stay on your faction and less likely to betray you. (I also hope you aren't paranoid because just so you know "every" char can be a spy; are you really sure Guan Yu isn't a Cao Cao spy? think about that)

hope teh above helps. English is not my first language so if it is confusing do tell me and i'll try to write it in another way.

Thank you!

6. I followed a guide that said that characters cannot be double agents, and it's also unlikely that they will spy for a faction that they have a negative history with. This is what has led me to choose people so far based on the spy factor.

Do you have any recommendations in regards to choosing a spouse? All women that have showed up so far have been cruel, arrogant and generally very unlikeable. I'm giving up hope of finding a wife...

-EDIT-

I'm at that point where I'm losing faith in the game yet again. I had a really long and hard battle against Ciao Ciao and managed to defeat him. I had the weaker army but I really micro-managed my way to victory and was overwhelmed with joy. Well, at least until the game suddenly let him escape... even though I defeated him. I'm finding myself clueless at this point. What the hell are the rules of combat really? I have no clue what to do at any point in this game it seems and it's VERY annoying. It's impossible to make any kind of strategic effort when there are soooooooo many variables and mechanics to keep track of and the game tells you about 50% of them. You go from being in a position of confidence to just getting slapped right in the face, and in the worst case scenario have to start all over again. It's so exhausting...

Last edited:
OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Thank you!

6. I followed a guide that said that characters cannot be double agents, and it's also unlikely that they will spy for a faction that they have a negative history with. This is what has led me to choose people so far based on the spy factor.

Do you have any recommendations in regards to choosing a spouse? All women that have showed up so far have been cruel, arrogant and generally very unlikeable. I'm giving up hope of finding a wife...

-EDIT-

I'm at that point where I'm losing faith in the game yet again. I had a really long and hard battle against Ciao Ciao and managed to defeat him. I had the weaker army but I really micro-managed my way to victory and was overwhelmed with joy. Well, at least until the game suddenly let him escape... even though I defeated him. I'm finding myself clueless at this point. What the hell are the rules of combat really? I have no clue what to do at any point in this game it seems and it's VERY annoying. It's impossible to make any kind of strategic effort when there are soooooooo many variables and mechanics to keep track of and the game tells you about 50% of them. You go from being in a position of confidence to just getting slapped right in the face, and in the worst case scenario have to start all over again. It's so exhausting...

Char can not in fact be a double agent. But you should read that as in. Any char that is willing to spy for you isn't a spy from an enemy faction. However any char that won't spy for you can be a spy for your faction.
Do note however enemy spies can defect to you if they prefer your faction to their original faction. Do also note that it also works the other way around.

In terms of women the game has a severe lack of them. The game ahs mostly men in it. It has come a long way from launch (where like 95% of chars were men). Even unique women there are only 3 or there abouts (sun ren, zhang jiang and zhu Rong are the ones i remember).
So you can't be too picky with a wife if you want kids.

for your edit the way the game works is this:
  • Armywise -> an army needs to be beaten twice to disappear or retreat once and beaten once to be wiped out. A char that is in a beaten army has a chance to be captured. Chars in a wiped out army are usually killed or captured.
  • generals -> for a char to die they literally need to be killed in battle; if they flee during battle they don't die in the campaign. Unique chars and some high level chars have a heart icon. These heart are "extra" lives. For example even if Cao Cao dies in battle if he has a green heart he won't die. However he has a few turns where he can't lead an army.

Also may i ask what dificulty you are playing? I don't remember the AI being that agressive in easy.

Jan 10, 2018
Char can not in fact be a double agent. But you should read that as in. Any char that is willing to spy for you isn't a spy from an enemy faction. However any char that won't spy for you can be a spy for your faction.
Do note however enemy spies can defect to you if they prefer your faction to their original faction. Do also note that it also works the other way around.

In terms of women the game has a severe lack of them. The game ahs mostly men in it. It has come a long way from launch (where like 95% of chars were men). Even unique women there are only 3 or there abouts (sun ren, zhang jiang and zhu Rong are the ones i remember).

for your edit the way the game works is this:
  • Armywise -> an army needs to be beaten twice to disappear or retreat once and beaten once to be wiped out. A char that is in a beaten army has a chance to be captured. Chars in a wiped out army are usually killed or captured.
  • generals -> for a char to die they literally need to be killed in battle; if they flee during battle they don't die in the campaign. Unique chars and some high level chars have a heart icon. These heart are "extra" lives. For example even if Cao Cao dies in battle if he has a green heart he won't die. However he has a few turns where he can't lead an army.

Also may i ask what dificulty you are playing? I don't remember the AI being that agressive in easy.

I played on normal but switched to easy. I defeated Cao Cao three times now and he just keeps either escaping or respawning. It's impossible to deal with him. I was just about to cross over to his border, and there he was yet again just running around. Also his two generals had respawned in another town. Concidering I have to conquer like 90 counties and it's this challenging at the beginning I'm not sure If I'll manage to finish it before the end of the year...

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I played on normal but switched to easy. I defeated Cao Cao three times now and he just keeps either escaping or respawning. It's impossible to deal with him. I was just about to cross over to his border, and there he was yet again just running around. Also his two generals had respawned in another town. Concidering I have to conquer like 90 counties and it's this challenging at the beginning I'm not sure If I'll manage to finish it before the end of the year...
give sun jian a try. his campaign is much easier that NE china.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Zhang Jiang's sister was unique. She's got a name, but just a standard Strategist portrait/ability set.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I really like to roleplay as Liu Bei so I'll give it another shot. Tomorrow I'll march into his territory with 2 strong armies and hopefully he'll finally yield. He's weak and alone at least.
THe problem is that Liu Bei is an underdog and thus you are at a much bigger disadvantage then other warlords. ALso starting near the behemoths of Yuan Shao, and Cao Cao as well as gonsun zan and kong rong is not a great place to be.

I wish you luck.
I wish Zhang Jiang's sister was unique. She's got a name, but just a standard Strategist portrait/ability set.
We need more women in this game. It would also help if woman could be every class. I don't think i ever say a vanguard or a champion woman warrior which is a damn shame.
Even Lu bu's daughter is generic. WTF CA?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
We need more women in this game. It would also help if woman could be every class. I don't think i ever say a vanguard or a champion woman warrior which is a damn shame.
Even Lu bu's daughter is generic. WTF CA?
Agreed, tho Zhang is herself a Champion. It doesn't help that one of the options is DLC locked.

Jan 10, 2018
THe problem is that Liu Bei is an underdog and thus you are at a much bigger disadvantage then other warlords. ALso starting near the behemoths of Yuan Shao, and Cao Cao as well as gonsun zan and kong rong is not a great place to be.

I wish you luck.

I first tried to play him during Mandate of Heaven but that was pretty much impossible as a beginner. Rise of the Warlords seems managable though. I have 4 commanderies and a lot of counties. My only pressing issue is Cao Cao because the game didn't fully tell me how a power struggle actually works. I was under the impression that I would kill him and his generals permanently if I defeated him in battle, so I engaged him in less than optimal situations. But it seems like I'm just stalling him and the only way to actually get rid of him is to conquer all of his lands. I'm gonna try to do so today and if it's not working then I'll maybe concider restarting as a different character.

Do you have any feedback on my current map situation? What would you do from here?

0xjII1O.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I first tried to play him during Mandate of Heaven but that was pretty much impossible as a beginner. Rise of the Warlords seems managable though. I have 4 commanderies and a lot of counties. My only pressing issue is Cao Cao because the game didn't fully tell me how a power struggle actually works. I was under the impression that I would kill him and his generals permanently if I defeated him in battle, so I engaged him in less than optimal situations. But it seems like I'm just stalling him and the only way to actually get rid of him is to conquer all of his lands. I'm gonna try to do so today and if it's not working then I'll maybe concider restarting as a different character.

Do you have any feedback on my current map situation? What would you do from here?

0xjII1O.png
Personally the easier campaigns to learn are those away from NE which is a mess. Sun jian, gonsun zan and liu chong (MoH DLC). These 3 have a way to safely manage the first few dozen turns. (190 start date)

For the map i'd focus on wiping lady Bian out while trying to have friendly relation ship with Yuan Shao. bribe him if you can because i can clearly see that he probably already controls most of the north. You don't want to be the nest target of yuan shao's rise to power.

Yuan shu is always a problem so sooner or later you have to attack him. Once you do that there should be any major war as you seem to be too big for any other faction.

At this point i'd take some time to heavily invest in the territory so that you can start getting lots of money.
After getting the income to the 5000+ i'd start to attack the small territories around you like ze rong, assuming no alliance/coalition gang going on.

Lastly i want to say that is a really good start ,specially for Liu Bei. With the exception of yuan shao there aren't any real threats that can end your campaign. THis means that as you longa s you slowly beat the weaker factions you can probably win the campaign.

A bit of curiosity, where did you get Lu Zhi? i thought he didn't appear in 190.

Jan 10, 2018
Personally the easier campaigns to learn are those away from NE which is a mess. Sun jian, gonsun zan and liu chong (MoH DLC). These 3 have a way to safely manage the first few dozen turns. (190 start date)

For the map i'd focus on wiping lady Bian out while trying to have friendly relation ship with Yuan Shao. bribe him if you can because i can clearly see that he probably already controls most of the north. You don't want to be the nest target of yuan shao's rise to power.

Yuan shu is always a problem so sooner or later you have to attack him. Once you do that there should be any major war as you seem to be too big for any other faction.

At this point i'd take some time to heavily invest in the territory so that you can start getting lots of money.
After getting the income to the 5000+ i'd start to attack the small territories around you like ze rong, assuming no alliance/coalition gang going on.

Lastly i want to say that is a really good start ,specially for Liu Bei. With the exception of yuan shao there aren't any real threats that can end your campaign. THis means that as you longa s you slowly beat the weaker factions you can probably win the campaign.

A bit of curiosity, where did you get Lu Zhi? i thought he didn't appear in 190.

Ok, nice! My income now is close to 8,000 so I will focus on growing a better army I think, and prepare for Yuan Shao. I'm still just running around with 80% basic archers, and while they do a lot of the work I'm quickly overrun when there are more prominent enemy forces on the field. I always have to micro-manage my way to victory so I pause a lot and look around with the camera. It would be nice if I could ease that up a bit.

I'm a bit confused as to how you wage war on several fronts. If I start to attack Yuan Shao at the north then surely my south enemies will see their chance and start attacking me from that direction? Do I just counter this with more armies?

Lu Zhi showed up quite early for me and I was also suprised by it. I'm not sure if some special event triggered it. I only have Mandate of Heaven installed as a DLC.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
If you have spare army slots remember that your people just chillin' around court are already being paid, so you can throw three of them in an army with no upkeep if you dismiss their retinues. You just have to pay to summon them onto the field if they have a retinue.

Three good characters and a garrison can hold off some pretty sizeable armies.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
All the reworked systems look nice. Can't wait to play around with it.

All I need to see. Iiiiin.

(I have no idea why I'm so obsessed with this woman, but here we are)

Pretty sure she should be in basically in perpetuity. She's super young and (I think) mostly made up by CA, so hopefully she's always around. I agree that she's a really fun and quite powerful general. Plus bandits are just a cool faction now imo.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
All the reworked systems look nice. Can't wait to play around with it.

Pretty sure she should be in basically in perpetuity. She's super young and (I think) mostly made up by CA, so hopefully she's always around. I agree that she's a really fun and quite powerful general. Plus bandits are just a cool faction now imo.
True on all counts, yeah.

It's nice having a General-killer who doesn't have to bother with Fatigue. Helps with running down those cowards who refuse to stand and fight you. Harried Lu Bu to death like that once, took Red Hare. That was a hell of a run.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I can't wait for this DLC. Cao Cao is one of my fav factions. I also really like Yuan Shao but his campaign was super boring because he didn't have any unique chars. Liu Zhang is also a great location to start that will hopefully make western china more active.

I also like the new dates for some chars like my ranged boy Liu "Anar" Chong in 194. He is super fun although quite OP.

I think making the council more important could make a much deeper campaigns; assuming that personality traits really do give quite a variety of missions.

The only thing that i don't think it is fair is restricting Sun Ce at 200 to AWB owners. Restricting someone from playing WU is just awful and i hope CA gives fated divided owners the Sun Ce campaign as well.; at the veary least give them the Sun Jian mechanics.

[edit] Tekku how is your campaign going?

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I can't wait for this DLC. Cao Cao is one of my fav factions. I also really like Yuan Shao but his campaign was super boring because he didn't have any unique chars. Liu Zhang is also a great location to start that will hopefully make western china more active.

I also like the new dates for some chars like my ranged boy Liu "Anar" Chong in 194. He is super fun although quite OP.

I think making the council more important could make a much deeper campaigns; assuming that personality traits really do give quite a variety of missions.

The only thing that i don't think it is fair is restricting Sun Ce at 200 to AWB owners. Restricting someone from playing WU is just awful and i hope CA gives fated divided owners the Sun Ce campaign as well.; at the veary least give them the Sun Jian mechanics.

[edit] Tekku how is your campaign going?

Honestly, I'm just surprised we got Sun Ce at 200 CE, given he died later that year. But, if they didn't, he'd only have one starting date.

Guessing the next start date, we'll get Sun Quan.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So here's a 2 hour long deep dive for what I assume are all of the big changes.

i will watch at a later date.
Honestly, I'm just surprised we got Sun Ce at 200 CE, given he died later that year. But, if they didn't, he'd only have one starting date.

Guessing the next start date, we'll get Sun Quan.
I think it is fair to give sun Ce 2 starts as Sun Quan will probably have a bunch of them. SO i was expecting Sun Ce for this DLC.

I just find it weird that those that buy the base game + fate divided DLC can't play with sun ce. I think it is unfair to keep out one of the kingdoms in a DLC.