• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
What would they gain from releasing a Switch exclusive Sonic game when the brand does better on all platforms?
When Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed sold most on Wii U, more than even the PS3 and 360 versions combined, that's all there needs to be said about how powerful Sonic's association with Nintendo is.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's not really our business if its related to his health so they don't have to share that.
I mean none of this is our business. Though i rather speculate or discuss on things that could make sense related to his actual position than saying its health related without any evidence.

The result in is the same in the end, for whatever reason he is stepping down from his position.
Criticizing Nagoshi or Segas performance in the past doesnt mean that people dont care about his health or wish him any harm, i would think that people can separate the two things.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Sega have have very poor support for both the PC and the Switch.
More so the Switch. But it feels like Sega only just realised there is money to be made on PC when Persona 4 Golden sold a shit ton.
Sega are bafflingly bad at business.

SEGA JPN*

For every flop and shitty games released by the japanese division there's a successful one released by SEGA Europe on PC.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Can we have a Sakura Wars Switch port already? Nagoshi denied a Switch version due to "incompatible audience".

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean none of this is our business. Though i rather speculate or discuss on things that could make sense related to his actual position than saying its health related without any evidence.

The result in is the same in the end, for whatever reason he is stepping down from his position.
Criticizing Nagoshi or Segas performance in the past doesnt mean that people dont care about his health or wish him any harm, i would think that people can separate the two things.

I'm not saying that, but I don't think there's any reason to suggest upper management would be unhappy with his decision making. I don't think Nagoshi's dumb opinions on the Switch will have much bearing on this decision.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The grudge that some people have for Nagoshi over his Switch opinions is real pathetic. He was still heavily involved in Yakuza so I wouldn't be surprised if he just wanted to focus more on development day to day.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally the evil has been defeated and I can soon play a Yakuza game with bad graphics while taking a shit

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think much will really change all that much. And those hoping for Yakuza coming to Switch, it wasn't just Nagoshi who said that he feels it's incompatible with Nintendo systems and constantly used the Wii U as the basis for why.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed sold most on Wii U, more than even the PS3 and 360 versions combined, that's all there needs to be said about how powerful Sonic's association with Nintendo is.
this doesn't track with any source I can find but let's assume it's true for one second.

ASRT'S sales are not indicative of a trend on their own, especially since it skipped next gen consoles aside from the Wii U. Lost World is the actual reference point for an exclusive and it's sales were slow compared to the other games in the series.

The actual best selling Sonic games in the past 20 years are Sonic Heroes and Sonic Unleashed, two games that casted their net the widest. Aside from that the mobile titles are bringing in way more revenue than anything else. Kids everywhere, on every gaming device like Sonic from consoles to handhelds to mobile. I ask again: What is the point of landlocking the brand?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying that, but I don't think there's any reason to suggest upper management would be unhappy with his decision making. I don't think Nagoshi's dumb opinions on the Switch will have much bearing on this decision.
I dont know the reason either, just speculating. Yakuza 7 western numbers and the stance on Switch are the only job related things i could see being a factor.

Not any difference than saying that he cant do the job no more because of health reasons. As said earlier, having that much responsibility can be draining even for a healthy person - the job might just not be the right fit for him and he rather would be focusing on his team and the Yakuza series.
The grudge that some people have for Nagoshi over his Switch opinions is real pathetic. He was still heavily involved in Yakuza so I wouldn't be surprised if he just wanted to focus more on development day to day.
Yakuza is only developed with PS/Xbox/PC plattform in mind, so these games coming to Switch was never the real issue. But its general stance to the plattform, based on Yakuza WiiU sales and the decision making regarding other Sega series. Same for Yakuza 8 which is likely targeting next-gen consoles.

Considering the position he was in, people expected him to be just more open minded when it comes to plattform support. He was representing Sega during the Jan17 Switch conference after all.

Aran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man the people here who try to make everything about the switch are just embarrassing.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Console wars, trolling, prior infractions for similar behaviour
I can't wait to play Majima's arc in Kiwami 2 at 540p/15 FPS!

DOCKED!

Like god intended

image0.png

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
edit: going to edit my post because I was not aware he recently had surgery.

Last edited:

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
man it's super weird and offputting how some of y'all insist on dragging this platform-based fanboy grudge against Nagoshi into every thread about him. trying to force everything into that lens is ridiculous

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, what does this mean for Yakuza games?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know the reason either, just speculating. Yakuza 7 western numbers and the stance on Switch are the only job related things i could see being a factor.

Not any difference than saying that he cant do the job no more because of health reasons. As said earlier, having that much responsibility can be draining even for a healthy person - the job might just not be the right fit for him and he rather would be focusing on his team and the Yakuza series.

Yakuza is only developed with PS/Xbox/PC plattform in mind, so these games coming to Switch was never the real issue. But its general stance to the plattform, based on Yakuza WiiU sales and the decision making regarding other Sega series. Same for Yakuza 8 which is likely targeting next-gen consoles.

Considering the position he was in, people expected him to be just more open minded when it comes to plattform support. He was representing Sega during the Jan17 Switch conference after all.

Well something like the botched revitalisation of Sakura Wars could definitely be a factor, but even then Switch is only one part of the equation there. The failure(?) of the mobile game is probably a more serious issue.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
If it's health related, i wish him a little less stress so that he can recover or at least not put more damage on his health. Health > everything else.

I was wondering the same thing. It's getting rather pathetic if you ask me.

Buy an Xbox, PS or Steam? Is that what you Nintendo fans tell PS and Xbox owners to do?

Let's keep in mind that, to this day, there's still people begging for ports of Bayonetta 2 (and 3 to some extend), games Nintendo actually financed and basically "owns", so let's not start calling things pathetic, okay?

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Man the people here who try to make everything about the switch are just embarrassing.
It's the market leader that they're so determined to not support that they'd rather have their games bomb.

I want a financially healthy Sega with healthy franchises that are available to everyone and can support being more then the 'Sonic+Yakuza' company.