• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Discussion guidelines

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
Staff change job roles all the time for any number of reasons, in this case it's also part of a management reorganisation at Sega. Speculation on the reason why rooted only in his previous comments on the Switch and a lack of Yakuza games on the platform is baseless and has led to a derail. Please get back on topic. Hostility and platform wars will be harshly actioned going forward.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Yakuza has certainly grown in the West. However, sales in Japan have been in decline and considering how badly the PS5 is doing there, things are only going to get worse.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm so it is not his health. That's good.

Hopefully the new managment is able to pull themselves together and start having success.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was wondering the same thing. It's getting rather pathetic if you ask me.

Buy an Xbox, PS or Steam? Is that what you Nintendo fans tell PS and Xbox owners to do?
Are you for real? Yes, people absolutely tell others to buy whatever systems has an exclusive game they want to play. God of War, Uncharted, Last of Us? Buy a PS4. Forza, Gears, Bethesda? Buy an Xbox.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
as long as Nagoshi gets to keep making his bizarre yakuzi games then all's good

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Shit reviewed well, launched on the same platform as fire emblem and still bombed yet they think yakuza on switch is somehow going to bank. Shit is hilarious.

For someone whining about Switch discourse ruining the thread you sure want to talk about the Switch.

To be frank the man was in charge and a big part of lots of shitty decisions from the Japanese branch of Sega and some of those decisions include platform choice. People criticizing that in a thread where a dude is basically being removed from a major position is totally valid. Not sure what you are complaining about.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SEGA hasn't been very successful on the console gaming market since some times now. Only Yakuza is performing well and that IP is on the decline, while other big projects such as the crossmedia Sakura Wars venture, Valkyria Chronicles or everything Sonic related bombed. A strategy change needs to happen. Particularly now that they can't rely on amusement parks or other closed ventures due to COVID.

And yes, it includes better platform decisions, especially when it comes to a company whose biggest market by a wide margin is Japan.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
Why are some posters are complaining about people discussing bad business decision making in a thread about such business making corporate changes in those in charge of the decision making?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Serkan Toto's second tweet is also important with how Sega has been shedding skin as of late. The reorganization and reshuffling is necessary with all they're currently going through.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Could be a good thing. Sega has been making a lot of bad decisions lately. Perhaps a change in leadership in some areas is what they need.

matt1996

May 24, 2019
Everybody in this thread talking about like Yakuza when Nagoshi was more active in developing Judgment. Write Judgment 2 for us King

and also along with Harada and Kamiya please keep trolling

People really gotta stop assuming Yakuza is bigger than it is

Western sales are helping keep the series going, but the series "blowing up" in the West is taking it from like five digit sales to six digits for most of the titles, rather than millions. Y0 sold well but the bulk of that was as PS Hits, Gamepass or $20 on Steam. Basically it's making up for the series contracting in Japan with each entry (a lot to do with their console market shrinking) but it's not like NieR Automata which sold 3+ mil. It went from basically dead to cult classic, not that mainstream.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
Maybe we will see more menagerial change , the people who gave House of the Dead and Panzer Dragoon to FE that is basically able to produce at best a nice game should be send down

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
User banned (3 days): platform wars; ignoring staff post
To argue that they could have done better at management by supporting the Switch is not port begging, is it?

More like Sony fans are a little nervous lately.

ShaggyLobo

Jan 25, 2021
As far as the japanese side goes, I'd assume Phantasy Star Online 2 has been a moneymaker, given that Sega is still actively supporting it years after release. So they have that going aside from Yakuza and Judgment at least.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Shuji Utsumi heading arcade stuff is interesting. He was an old SOJ vet who'd left to form Q Entertainment with Mizuguchi, I wasn't aware he'd come back.

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020
Why are some posters are complaining about people discussing bad business decision making in a thread about such business making corporate changes in those in charge of the decision making?
This might be one of the most complex sentences i've read in a long time.

Hopefully the new CCO is able to make better business decisions than Nagoshi, especially concerning the platform choice.

Last edited:

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
It can't be helped, you can only get trashy, bad faith fanboy kindergarden arguments from these kind of discussions.

It's crazy. I sometimes feel like more and more threads are being created without much info or meat to them. I mean we had a 30 page thread about MS acquisition based on a single Brad Sams tweet, and the tweet was just an emoji and the entirety of the thread was just baseless speculation and warring; the same as every other acquisition thread. There's just not enough info to have any sort of meaningful discussions. Hell I don't even know what the differences and scope between Nagoshi's roles are now to even comment on it.

Eh, I guess these kind of comments aren't anything new.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Probably because he misread the market with his no Switch support policy and delaying Yakuza PS5.
I might be wrong but it feel like Yakuza Like a Dragon despite of its critical acclaim didnt show up in any western charts...i think they expected a bit more from having a next-gen version + MS marketing for its launch.

But who knows - Yakuza fans have no need to worry him being able to focus on directing the games, is probably for the best.

this sounds exactly right

Cubo

May 14, 2018
This might ne one of the most complex sentences i've read in a long time.

Hopefully the new CCO is able to make better business decisions than Nagoshi, especially concerning the platform choice.

Oops sorry I was aware it was over complicated but didn't really know how to rephrase :P. I hope it's understandable though.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
Also they failed once again in the use their retrocatalogue that is becoming a major Pillar for any company with rich history

I mean look at sega ages

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
someone please help sega
it can be anyone
give him another chance
ending-1y9j0i.jpg

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
People mentioning the PS5 delay of RGG7, I wonder if that was a Sega Japan decision? From watching the streams around it they have been very adamant this is a repackaging of the western release, which implies it may not have been done in house at RGG.

Also, Nagoshi hasn't been involving in directing many of the last games, so hopefully this changes and he gets to work on something himself.

If anything this reshuffling to me probably implies a more conservative approach at Sega, Covid hit their other sectors a lot.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also they failed once again in the use their retrocatalogue that is becoming a major Pillar for any company with rich history

I mean look at sega ages
Sega Ages needs to go back to being collections again so they can actually move onto more newer and niche titles. Because niche individual titles don't sell, and if Sega Ages isn't selling, they stop making more. At the rate they're going, they are never making it to the later arcade boards or Sega systems.

But there is another problem as well. Sega competes with themselves over their retro catalogue by making a collection with Sega of Europe and/or other companies, and also having tons of overlap with the titles M2 re-releases under Sega Ages.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I mean look at sega ages

Yep, that's yet another case of arbitrarily limiting exposure of their catalogue on single platforms. If they have no idea where their users are (which seems evident), they should be releasing on everything. Like, the audience for what is an amazing port of Virtua Racing is not confined to Switch users, fans of Sega racing games are scattered everywhere nowadays.

They make unjustifiable decisions all the time and 99% of them come out of the JP division. They have probably the 2nd best retro catalogue of any publisher yet their approach is completely scattershot.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
Also why Sega is not dealing with the complete failure of the Sonic Team, they are a complete joke of a developer

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Staff change job roles all the time for any number of reasons, in this case it's also part of a management reorganisation at Sega. Speculation on the reason why rooted only in his previous comments on the Switch and a lack of Yakuza games on the platform is baseless and has led to a derail. Please get back on topic. Hostility and platform wars will be harshly actioned going forward.
Thank you very much for this.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I would bet they are probably more pissed over Sakura Wars than anything else (and remember it had a failed mobile game too). Everything else can be chalked up as disappointments; Sakura Wars flat out cost them *a lot* of money

Switch and PC ports also wouldn't have saved Sakura Wars from being the failure that it was (besides the game just not being that good, they went for an aesthetic that was.... just not Sakura Wars-esque, on top of the series being dormant for at least a decade).

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
Hmm so it is not his health. That's good.
I think it's both.

Toshihiro Nagoshi also spoke about his health problems during the press conference. Nagoshi talked about how he is suffering from a Congenital heart disease and underwent a major heart surgery three weeks ago. His heart was stopped for around 5 hours during the operation, and he "could have well died". He's supposed to stay at the hospital and is still convalescent, but he got a special authorized leave for the press conference. Nagoshi laughed saying "the doctors will probably get angry later" and added that laughing actually hurts as his ribs and stuff that got moved from the operation isn't quite back together yet. Lastly, Nagoshi said he's happy to be alive, to be there, and talk about Yakuza 7 himself.

Too much pressure for him.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Kouriozan posted this in the Media Create thread

The way it's being put there definitely seems to imply that upper management isn't happy with how that part of the business has been performing and is cleaning up.

If they are integrating upper management, it doesn't sound like any part is being sold off like that other thread is suggesting.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017