• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'd still be all for a game based entirely around dance battles
So would I. Karaoke/dance battles for all. Then again I'd also go too far and ask for DJ Max level difficulty!

Well, that or a game that all combat is solely just Jojo level badass posing. That could work.

True, the osaka castle is a very weird chapter. I guess the series is very ridicilous at its heart so I see why you it doesn't bother you. I prefer the way Yakuza 0, Yakuza 1 and 6 did things if I am honest (even though 6 had some weird stuff). I like the story to be as serious as possible but with some over the top stuff happening from time to time (the bear you fight in Yakuza 5 or Kiryu killi... ahem, knocking out a helicopter which landed safely using a rubber bullet mini gun in Yakuza 6.
Look on the bright side, if Kiryu never gets a brawler game again at least his last long fight (and boss) was the absolute best send off possible. I have some issues with 6's combat (or just unrefined nature due to the new engine) but that entire level from the beginning cutscene to big plot twist at the end was amazing. Now I wanna replay Yakuza 6...

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The beat 'em up gameplay was the primary reason as to why I was into Yakuza, so yeah, this doesn't do anything to persuade me that better times are ahead. I also still don't get why so many people are assuming that Judgment was anything more than a one time spinoff.

I think it's because they used some existing source material as the base ?

But I'd love to see more Judgment !

Loved the game.

If Judgment stays "classic" Yakuza while Yakuza experiments new crazy stuff, it's best of both worlds.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So would I. Karaoke/dance battles for all. Then again I'd also go too far and ask for DJ Max level difficulty!

Well, that or a game that all combat is solely just Jojo level badass posing. That could work.

Look on the bright side, if Kiryu never gets a brawler game again at least his last long fight (and boss) was the absolute best send off possible. I have some issues with 6's combat (or just unrefined nature due to the new engine) but that entire level from the beginning cutscene to big plot twist at the end was amazing. Now I wanna replay Yakuza 6...
True.

Yakuza 6 was the perfect send off for Kiryu. I hope it is the last time we play as him in the main series (doesn't matter if it was turn based or brawler). I doubt they can top it.
The beat 'em up gameplay was the primary reason as to why I was into Yakuza, so yeah, this doesn't do anything to persuade me that better times are ahead. I also still don't get why so many people are assuming that Judgment was anything more than a one time spinoff.
I am also very worried about this. Judgment was good and sold well but unless they confirm as sequel is in the work I can't be anything but disapointed if Yakuza fully becomes turn based.

Brawling genre needs to survive damn it...

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I for one am completely uninterested in the rpg gameplay and the old gameplay was one of the reason i loved the franchise.
Do what you gotta do but i hope it ends up not well received sales wise and return to the old style.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I think it's because they used some existing source material as the base ?

But I'd love to see more Judgment !

Loved the game.

If Judgment stays "classic" Yakuza while Yakuza experiments new crazy stuff, it's best of both worlds.

I'd love some more Judgment too as long as it keeps the same gameplay, but I feel like the IP is attached to too many high profile actors to make it an ongoing series.

I am also very worried about this. Judgment was good and sold well but unless they confirm as sequel is in the work I can't be anything but disapointed if Yakuza fully becomes turn based.

Brawling genre needs to survive damn it...

I know. Yakuza was literally the only IP for 3D beat 'em up fans, and without it there's nothing.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I was really unsure with the turn based direction they took, but I'm playing through Judgement at the moment and I'm liking it don't get me wrong, but it really highlighted that they were probably right going in the direction they did with Y7, I'm just completely burnt-out with Yakuza combat now, I need a long break I think.
Though I've not played 7 yet, so maybe my worries of it's combat burnt-out later on in the game will outweigh my just general Yakuza combat burnt-out, but I'm now really excited for 7 and to find out.

cephus

Oct 28, 2017
If they are really dead set on keeping the turn-based battle system, then they should at least give Kiryu a spin-off series with the old combat system. Start with a sequel to 0 with him and Majima and go from there. There's plenty of turn-based rpgs, but nothing like the old Yakuza games.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
The plot certainly hasn't changed, that much has been made clear. They had fun with the combat in Y7, there is some never before seen enemy types that i wouldn't mind getting planted into real time combat. I'd be stoked for hybrid systems and they haven't committed to anything yet.
The turn-based stuff is still a really specific quirk of Ichiban as a character and he has more stories in him after Y7, so of course he'd take turn-based combat to future games where he'd appear. This was their first try and you can see where things can evolve to, and if nothing Y7 has expanded the possible move-list of combat focused games by creating many moves in the dragon engine.
These guys love their asset re-use and they've have made plenty new ones.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love some more Judgment too as long as it keeps the same gameplay, but I feel like the IP is attached to too many high profile actors to make it an ongoing series.

I know. Yakuza was literally the only IP for 3D beat 'em up fans, and without it there's nothing.
Like just on the top of my head, there is Batman but everybody knows how that isn't the same thing. 3D brawling is sadly dead as of today...

...unless RGG Studio gives us a bone and tells us there is more coming.

As for wether Judgment could become a series, it can but obviously they need to change the protagonist (I am fine with this since Yagami's story closed off perfectly even though I loved his character). I would love a female private investigator as an MC. Maybe even make it like GTA where you get a different main character each game or two.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I think they should (and they probably will) do an action style Judgment 2 and then either do a complete turn based (expanded version) or a hybrid style for Yakuza 8. That seems like the best solution and appeases both the action fans and turn based ones.

The demo made a believer out of me when it comes to turn based Yakuza, so it would be a shame for it to go away completely just after one game.

Basically what I'm hoping for too, though I haven't played the demo so don't know if I'll end up liking the turn-based combat.

Or the other option is just to do what Yakuza 5 did and make the style of combat dependent on character. It'd be a neat way to bring back multiple protagonists too: Ichiban sticks with turn-based, other people could be traditional brawler. I wonder if that's what Nagoshi has in mind when he suggests the series could go to a hybrid solution if fan response demands it.

(also +1 for bringing back dance battles yo)

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like good news. 7 looks like one heck of a unique JRPG and they should keep exploring what they can do from here.

There are already 10+ games in the series with the beat-em-up style combat that will last 1000 hours for anyone looking for that. Very happy for them to try new things to keep the series fresh and the developers must be keen on the change as well considering this series has been going on 15 years now with the same combat.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
6 main games with the same combat system, not even including spin offs

Let this team breathe a little. They earned it.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point they NEED to localize Ishin and Kenzan (change Haruka's story in the latter though).
And Black Panther 1 and 2 at least.

I don't mind waiting a couple of years if they give us those until they figure it out. Just feed me something please.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Like just on the top of my head, there is Batman but everybody knows how that isn't the same thing. 3D brawling is sadly dead as of today...

As for wether Judgment could become a series, it can but obviously they need to change the protagonist (I am fine with this since Yagami's story closed off perfectly even though I loved his character). I would love a female private investigator as an MC. Maybe even make it like GTA where you get a different main character each game or two.

Yeah, I was thinking of Batman as well, but like you wrote, it's not the same. Yakuza is much more akin to Streets of Rage, which is what I'm always looking for.

If they have to change Judgment around, that's fine too, because I'll take whatever I can get as long as RGG studios is providing some avenue for us fans that want more of the old combat, lol. My dream scenario though is for a Yakuza 0-2 starring Majima and Ryuji during the late 90's or early 00's before Kiryu's return. I bet it would sell way better than Y7 too, at least in the west anyway.

Nov 2, 2017
Totally reasonable that the Yakuza team wants to do something different. I just don't want the brawler style game to die.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

A female main protagonist would be totally awesome! I think that alone would be all that would be needed to switch up things drastically enough. New moveset actions, etc. I think considering the history of the series commonly objectifying women it would be pretty funny to turn those expectations on its head and reverse those roles or something like that within the substories.

I'm all for at least having the beat em' up version of yakuza continue in some way shape or form whether it be a dedicated spinoff series where we alternate between rpg and beat em' up or (if they're capable) release within the same year. I feel that's a good median that would appease most people.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given the glowing impressions on the import thread they should retain the turn-based on mainline then do the action on spin-offs or Judgment, ill be there to support both day 1

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

The perfect thing about Yagami and co. is that they could bring them back as side characters, if they can afford their actors for shorter VO sessions at least

But yeah a female private investigator would be awesome. Take it out of Kamurocho too, for that matter, set up a whole new city for sleuthing

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
A female main protagonist would be totally awesome! I think that alone would be all that would be needed to switch up things drastically enough. New moveset actions, etc. I think considering the history of the series commonly objectifying women it would be pretty funny to turn those expectations on its head and reverse those roles or something like that within the substories.

I'm all for at least having the beat em' up version of yakuza continue in some way shape or form whether it be a dedicated spinoff series where we alternate between rpg and beat em' up or (if they're capable) release within the same year. I feel that's a good median that would appease most people.
They could pull it off, they already had a badass woman in Yakuza 0 in Miss Tatsu and her Beast style training. I'm sure they could replicate this with a new character.

Oct 25, 2017
I for one am completely uninterested in the rpg gameplay and the old gameplay was one of the reason i loved the franchise.
Do what you gotta do but i hope it ends up not well received sales wise and return to the old style.
Can't you find another way to say this without hoping the studio suffers? Maybe they'll turn yakuza spin offs into brawlers or turn mainline back and spin offs into turn based but I would hope if they passionate about either one and it's good it sees success

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Make Yakuza the experimental experience you want to make it, and do traditional games by making Judgment a series. Win win.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
At this point they NEED to localize Ishin and Kenzan (change Haruka's story in the latter though).
And Black Panther 1 and 2 at least.

I don't mind waiting a couple of years if they give us those until they figure it out. Just feed me something please.
This. Black Panther series being remastered would be excellent on top of getting ishin and kenzan finally localized. That would sure shut me up for a while.
They could pull it off, they already had a badass woman in Yakuza 0 in Miss Tatsu and her Beast style training. I'm sure they could replicate this with a new character.
Loved her!

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. I wonder if a hybrid system of the two would end up working like an action RPG like FFXV or Star Ocean 3. Curious to see what they end up doing with 8 when the time comes

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The perfect thing about Yagami and co. is that they could bring them back as side characters, if they can afford their actors for shorter VO sessions at least

But yeah a female private investigator would be awesome. Take it out of Kamurocho too, for that matter, set up a whole new city for sleuthing
You have to consider that the game themselves are only possible with their content, polish and quality due to asset reuse. In that regarding i'm actually ok with them resuing Kamurucho as much as possible, I just consider the city as a "character". A new area would be dope but I understand the compromises on RGG games.

I hope it does tremendously well and just be turn-based for many years to come, I'll even buy multiple copies to give away for each turn-based entry to make it happen lol. This is basically my dream adult protagonist jrpg

robot

Oct 27, 2017
They've made a loooot of beat-em-up style games. Having not even played the new turn-based style yet, I'm fine with them staying in that space for a while. No reason they couldn't come back to action later.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was thinking of Batman as well, but like you wrote, it's not the same. Yakuza is much more akin to Streets of Rage, which is what I'm always looking for.

If they have to change Judgment around, that's fine too, because I'll take whatever I can get as long as RGG studios is providing some avenue for us fans that want more of the old combat, lol. My dream scenario though is for a Yakuza 0-2 starring Majima and Ryuji during the late 90's or early 00's before Kiryu's return. I bet it would sell way better than Y7 too, at least in the west anyway.
That would be really cool. We would have gotten the real Majima along with more Ryuji. That would be badass as hell.

Then again, it might end up a JRPG too and I would hate to see that. I need to see the styles for it to be an actual Zero sequel.

Majima can have his styles from 0. Ryuji can get something similiar to Kiryu along with a sword like he uses in Kiwami 2 (hopefully without any rubber bullet/can't kill) stuff.

I would be fine with Kamurocho returning as I love revisiting the city but they definetly need to use Yokohama for those of us who want to beat up punks in the city.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Can't you find another way to say this without hoping the studio suffers? Maybe they'll turn yakuza spin offs into brawlers or turn mainline back and spin offs into turn based but I would hope if they passionate about either one and it's good it sees success
I say that because the only thing companies understand is lost revenue but whatever it does the job is good i guess.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
You have to consider that the game themselves are only possible with their content, polish and quality due to asset reuse. In that regarding i'm actually ok with them resuing Kamurucho as much as possible, I just consider the city as a "character". A new area would be dope but I understand the compromises on RGG games.
Exactly. I get wanting a new city, but that takes quite a while assuming people want a big city. Yakuza 7 took several years to happen after 6 (Dec 2016 to Jan 2020) and this is the first new city we get since 5 (well, technically Ishin I suppose). Another brand new big city would take a few years. Not that I mind, but I get the feeling people want a new brawler game right now. I'd honestly be fine with them reusing past cities (they have four dragon engine towns now) and basing a mystery across several towns.

But either way, this is just baseless conjecture on my part, but I get the feeling we will get an idea about where the series is going this year at TGS, I can't think of the last TGS that didn't have some sort of RGGS related reveal at it.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Dual protags. One Turn Based, one Real Time Action.

Book it

Also I wonder if 7 was meant to be out for December, but delayed? Still think the studio will have a smaller project out this winter too. Maybe even 8 if they follow the pattern between 3 and 4s releases. I'd love a HGG or Judge Eyes sequel if not!

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they release another Judgment game, remove the fucking tailing missions, make the chase harder, add in more detective work (wrong choices, missable clues that could lead to former, optional clues/task), able to work as a lawyer. I love Yagami and crew so another go would be dope.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Dual protags. One Turn Based, one Real Time Action.

Book it

Also I wonder if 7 was meant to be out for December, but delayed? Still think the studio will have a smaller project out this winter too. Maybe even 8 if they follow the pattern between 3 and 4s releases. I'd love a HGG or Judge Eyes sequel if not!
please make it canon that Ichiban just perceives the world in turn-based
and then make him fight the beat 'em action protagonist, who is unbounded by the turn order and just moves around

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah that would be cool as hell. Game had hands down the best combat in the series.

The game left a lot of loose ends they can revisit. Would be even cooler if they added Kamurocho in the wasteland. Imagine walking around the city and seeing how it looks like after the world ended.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
if they added Kamurocho in the wasteland. Imagine walking around the city and seeing how it looks like after the world ended.
So reuse Dead Souls Kamurocho then ;) You just know people would complain about Kamuro being reused yet again, but I'd totally be down for it. Maybe not as the sole location, but one of several that can be visited in the wasteland. HGG really just needs more long battles, a more focused story, 100% less Batt dialogue and the general polish the second game in a Yakuza series gets.

It still seems more likely than a Yagami fronted Judge Eyes sequel, I can't think of a single time a actor is brought back to reprise their likeness (especially Yagami's actor who probably cost Sega quite a bit to hire), and especially with how JE ended it finished his story nicely. Thankfully a new protagonist wouldn't exactly be all that hard for the series to write, they do that all the time. Maybe I could finally get a Date fronted detective game.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I would be fine with Kamurocho returning as I love revisiting the city but they definetly need to use Yokohama for those of us who want to beat up punks in the city.

I love Kamurocho but I think it should start getting used a bit more sparingly or as one option among many different locales.

Unless we got a prequel to the prequel set in the 50s or something, that'd be incredibly cool to see.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I love Kamurocho but I think it should start getting used a bit more sparingly or as one option among many different locales.

Unless we got a prequel to the prequel set in the 50s or something, that'd be incredibly cool to see.

Or

hear me out

SPACE YAKUZA

a full-size cyberpunk reconstruction of Kamurocho on a giant garbage scow that flies between Jupiter and Saturn

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So reuse Dead Souls Kamurocho then ;) You just know people would complain about Kamuro being reused yet again, but I'd totally be down for it. Maybe not as the sole location, but one of several that can be visited in the wasteland. HGG really just needs more long battles, a more focused story, 100% less Batt dialogue and the general polish the second game in a Yakuza series gets.

It still seems more likely than a Yagami fronted Judge Eyes sequel, I can't think of a single time a actor is brought back to reprise their likeness (especially Yagami's actor who probably cost Sega quite a bit to hire), and especially with how JE ended it finished his story nicely. Thankfully a new protagonist wouldn't exactly be all that hard for the series to write, they do that all the time. Maybe I could finally get a Date fronted detective game.
My only issues with FOTNS was the stretched game stucture (grindy side content, pointless A to B quests) and the story having lots of boring dialogue.

If they fix those then the game would just be perfect. And yeah, multiple cities you find in the wasteland would be cool. It would probably take a lot of time to change them into the artstyle of FOTNS but the end result would be great.

I don't mind if they use the same engine even. Just find a way to make battles more dynamic and that's all I want from the dragon engine. The game being cell shaded makes the old engine work fine.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
For people who are worried about Judgment not getting another entry, they actually said that they are happy with the sales and would like to make more games in the Judgment series:
Speaking with Spanish media outlet Meristation, Sato is pleased with the original game's sales in the west. He said: "From our point of view, Judgment's performance in the west has surpassed our expectations, they're very good." He then goes on to state that the team "would like to keep working in more games in the Judgment series."

As for having a game with two protagonists, one with action style and the other with turn based, I think not only that might be too much to ask for, but that could possibly piss off the fans of each style. Forcing turn base fans to play action style and vice versa could actually have a negative affect on how much people enjoy the game.

I still think actiony Judgment 2 and turn based Y8 is the way to go for now.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited to play the new turn based combat but I think the turn based hybrid sounds really good, especially since I can't think of many games like that.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I really hope they stick to turn based for the next game. It works so well for this one, and I'm pretty burned out on the regular formula.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they stick with the JRPG combat. I want to see them improve it further, just like how they have refined the Yakuza combat system over the many games in the series.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Please... do your REAL fans a favor. Go back to real time.

giphy.gif