• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
alexandra-park-encampment.jpg

The city filed an injunction application on Feb. 12 against Khaleel Seivwright, a carpenter who has been building small structures for those living outside.

The city wants an order that permanently stops Seivwright from placing or relocating structures on city-owned land.

It cites bylaws that prohibit camping and living in city-owned parks.
He has been building the shelters since the fall and has raised more than $200,000 on GoFundMe for materials.

Homeless encampments have popped up throughout the city as hundreds fled shelters last year for fear of contracting COVID-19.

Seivwright's insulated, wooden "tiny shelters" are in numerous parks around the city.
"I'm makin this post to let you all know that we have stopped building Tiny Shelters but will continue to do maintenance and relocating of shelters as people staying outside get into housing," Seivwright said on his GoFundMe page on Feb. 11.

The city said in a statement that the structures are not safe.

It pointed to a wooden structure fire this week at an downtown encampment that claimed the life of a man as proof of the dangers.

It isn't clear who built the structure involved in the fire. The cause of the blaze remains under investigation.
A COVID-19 variant has made its way inside one of the city's shelters and there are currently outbreaks in seven shelters.

The city has carried out a massive relocation effort to reduce the population at its shelters, which are mostly congregate settings, by moving individuals into hotels and apartments and permanent housing.

Unhoused people have said that is not a solution for everyone as many of the hotels are far from services they use, which are largely clustered downtown.
Anecdotally, ever since the pandemic started I've seen tent settlements pop up everywhere in city parks. I hope the city figures out how to help these people, the most vulnerable among us.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Someone in Toronto just died this week when their wooden shelter caught fire.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/o...fire-at-toronto-homeless-encampment-1.5312172

This isn't the solution.
Yup, these things are super dangerous. There is a large fort built in my area and at night I can see the light from a small fire inside the structure.

I understand they are using it for heat as it's been a bit colder but if the fire catches on to anything these people are going to die.

Mentosrock

Nov 4, 2019
They could also die from the freezing cold as well. I think I'd prefer a roof over my head as opposed to braving the elements. That said, if this is not the ultimate solution, hopefully this spurs the city to actually do something and do it quickly.

Dead Man

Nov 1, 2017
Any structure that is available to the homeless that keeps out cold and snow is going to be flammable.

With no electricity fire will be used. The only choice is definitely freeze or maybe burn.

Unless you think someone will fund enough rooms for all the rough sleepers out there, this guy is no more dangerous than doing nothing in that sort of weather.

But he certainly should also be asking for advice on fire prevention measures he could take.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
They could also die from the freezing cold as well. I think I'd prefer a roof over my head as opposed to braving the elements. That said, if this is not the ultimate solution, hopefully this spurs the city to actually do something and do it quickly.

Yeah, I may be speaking out of ignorance here, but I feel like this problem is better than sleeping outside freezing to death problem.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Someone in Toronto just died this week when their wooden shelter caught fire.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/o...fire-at-toronto-homeless-encampment-1.5312172

This isn't the solution.
yeah this. It's sad but homemade shelters can be very dangerous.

it reminds me when that person (also canada I think) built steps going to a public park. opening a whole can of liability worms if anyone got hurt.

I would like these expanded, until something changes and we get people back on their feet.

The solution should be for Toronto to appropriate land and abandoned buildings for no cost/low cost housing, or to help the man secure more fire retardant materials since he seems to care about this shit than most. Certainly they're not gonna fucking NIMBY this....right?
I can't speak on Toronto but I know Baltimore, NYC, and probably many others have turned hotels into shelters for the past year or so.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't the solution.
The solution should be for Toronto to appropriate land and abandoned buildings for no cost/low cost housing, or to help the man secure more fire retardant materials since he seems to care about this shit than most. Certainly they're not gonna fucking NIMBY this....right?

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto needs to do a better job helping the homeless, less fortunate, etc.

We treat them like shit, and it isn't right. We don't allocate enough resources for them, and others.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This isn't the answer but really shows just how little the city is doing to get people shelter. It shouldn't come to this.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
It feels ridiculous to suggest that the possibility of dying in a fire is worse than freezing to death, and if this city isn't going to do anything to prevent the latter then it absolutely should not be taking people to court for coming up with solutions that can be implemented now.

This is the same city where multiple deputy mayors recently suggested that winterizing washrooms in city parks was a bad idea just because homeless people might use them. Fuck Toronto and fuck John Tory.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It's a really shitty situation.

If I was homeless and had to choose between certainly freezing to death and maybe dying to fire/smoke, I'd take my chances with the latter too.

Mar 3, 2018
Doug Ford casually sitting on $7billion in fed relief money and letting his friends tear more and more homes down to build condos while things like this happening

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
In Victoria, BC, a group of volunteer built shelters and temporary, portable showers for the homeless camping at city parks (with city permit) during the pandemic, which, particularly the showers, you'd think is in everyone's best interest given what's going on.

Bylaw officers and the police teamed up to tear everything down.