• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Earthquakes because you cannot really predict them until they happen and do way more damage. With Tornado's you can at least predict the chance of them occurring.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Other natural disasters like tsunamis rack up higher kill counts, but I think tornadoes get their rep because they're the most visually frightening. It's a violent, evil-looking vortex sent by mother nature to fuck you up. They look like they were designed specifically to be in an apocalyptic movie.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking, if meteors count then those since we'll have tons of warning and in the right time of day see the impending doom on its way down. With things like tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc even with warning they just kind of happen but if you pay attention you have a high chance of survival. With a meteor of sufficient size everything is dead and the fear only builds as it gets closer, there's no hiding, no precautions, just a daily reminder that our time on this rock is done until finally it hits. The lucky ones will be at the impact site. Everyone dealing with the dust clouds and darkness (assuming it didn't just annihilate the planet) for weeks/years would be doomed to a slow end or a horrible existence.

Meteors are terrifying.

If they don't count then I'd go with Earthquakes or Tornadoes. The ground opening up and swallowing you or the giant funnel cloud a mile wide in a black/green sky are both pretty scary. At least with most volcanoes you can choose to not be around one. Hurricanes have plenty of warning. With a tsunami if you're really afraid you can be far enough inland to not worry about one. Earthquakes and tornadoes can happen pretty much anywhere (I know quakes are most common on fault lines).

I'm thinking worst case scenario for all these disasters too so obviously a 2.2 Quake or a tropical storm isn't going to compare to an Andrew/Katrina level event but an 8.9 or an F4 tornado is a brown pants scenario.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with OP. Tornadoes have scared me ever since I was a kid. They're so powerful and unpredictable.

I remember sleeping through one to wake up and see an entire roof covering our apartment's pool.

Tsunami's are probably 2nd since it's the ocean dropping by to fuck up everything.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Hurricane you have days to prepare for and a good idea where it will happen.

Tornados way too random.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
Live in the UK so I'm fortunate to have never had to experience any natural disaster but from various videos watched over the years tsunamis seem the scariest to me. I can't imagine the fear and terror the human body must go through watching an unstoppable wall of destruction making its way to shore knowing you can do absolutely nothing to escape.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Lived in southern California all my life, born '82, and tornados freak me out more than anything. I can't imagine living in a place where they're frequent enough you need bomb shelters to hide out from em. It seems completely insane to me and to have this force of nature come in and decimate your house on what could be a regular basis . I guess if you lived next to an active volcano that would be equally scary. Either way, tornados man.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Earthquarkes and wildfires are by far the most terrifying. I consider lucky those who don't have to fear about either. Being burned alive or buried under your own house that collapsed is a serious cause for anxiety.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on the tornado. If we're talking EF4-EF5, then yeah, you're damn near fucked if you're in its main path and can't get to adequate UG shelter.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that freaks me out about Tornados is the way they are reported. It makes it seem like a never ending threat.

When I lived in Los Angeles I never thought of Earthquakes because big ones are rare. Now I am in the south and it feels like every other week I am getting bombarded with notifications on my phone or seeing giant red "TORNADO WATCH" in the top corner while I watch Judge Judy. The warning sirens have gone off like 5 times in the few years I've been here. Its this constant reminder that your house may or may not be obliterated today.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
I got to hide from the May 25th Tornado that started in El Reno. I'd still prefer tornadoes to earthquakes.

Mostly because our buildings are probably not built to earthquake standards if we ever had a big one.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Earthquakes for me. Granted, I live in the southwestern United States and we're earthquake prone. Sure, it's like solid rock so I don't have the worry of being swallowed whole by the earth beneath my feet and there's plenty of open land to make my escape if I need to, but it's still terrifying.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Really strong hurricanes are pretty much just giant tornadoes and affects a much larger area.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I think quakes, tornados and tsunamis are equaly scary to me. But also forrest fires. They can spread fast and leave no chance of escape if you are unlucky, and burning alive seems a terrible way to go.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Do meteor strikes count as a natural disaster? Or a star going supernova?
Luckily we are well out of the way of any potential Supernova related calamity hitting earth. All nearby candidates are just too far to make any real impact or are pointing away from earth so any gamma ray burst would miss us.
For pure scary natural disasters then a volcanos pyroclastic flow is pure shit your pants scary. A wall of boiling ash and rock rushing at you at around 80mph and either boiling you alive, chocking you to death or just crushing you to a pulp.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Tornados have a comprehensible size and speed. You can see and hear them coming for you. They can also form very suddenly, so you can't plan around them. And they can happen anywhere within the broad sections of the world that have them. Yeah, I think they're the scariest.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017

Counter-point: A lightning storm in a volcanic eruption.

jPMUjnx.png
Such immense power....

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every time there is an earthquake in socal you question whether you'll walk out the door to some apocalyptic land we've been warned will come our whole lives

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that always gets me about tornadoes is that it turns every single item into a death weapon. Tsunamis can do that too, but you have to be caught in the tow.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
shit like this where it looks like the earth itself will swallow you up seems the most terrifying. the house going by in this video instant being swept up by a river or tsunami, it's a massive chunk dry land being moved

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think quakes, tornados and tsunamis are equaly scary to me. But also forrest fires. They can spread fast and leave no chance of escape if you are unlucky, and burning alive seems a terrible way to go.
If it's any consolation you'll die of smoke inhalation before you burn to death probably

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think volcanoes since they iirc can cause devastating explosions, spew poison gases, and choke you and blot out the sun with ash. Messy lol.