• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Contacted Sony. They said I can't get a refund until tomorrow because the game could still release today technically. Oh well. It's after 6pm and I still can't download this game. Bummed.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Very early Switch first impressions, only just got to the enclave. Portable only, I don't do docked:

The good

- Looks super crisp. Wouldnt surprise me if it was running native 720p. Also seems to be running at 60, its buttery smooth.
- UI is very funcional, even if it takes a bit to get used to especially if you're coming from PC. Reminds me of the Diablo 3 UI.
- Two minimap modes, top right corner "circle" style, or on the right side of the screen no circle.
- Tooltips are good, you can press X on pretty much anything (stats, skills, gear) to get a detailed look at the skill or item. Impressive for a small screen.
- You can rebind any item or skill to the 8 buttons, thankfully. No game, I dont need the stupid town scroll taking up my X button thank you very much.
- Its Torchlight 2, on switch, seems pretty much like a perfect port. Based Panic Button.

The Bad

- the music is strangely set to 24% initially, so you basically can't hear it lol. Just a nitpick, you can of course raise or lower it.
-The stats tooltip is bugged and sometimes doesnt show the stat you are highlighting, which is a problem if you are trying to assign points. The stats are as follows, from top to bottom:

- Strength (for your wailing warrior type needs)
-Dexterity (for your stabby rogue type needs)
-Focus (magic, mana)
-Vitality (health, armor etc)

So keep this in mind and dont be fooled if sometimes you are hovering over focus and it says its vitality for example.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Had a friend buy it. Logged into his account to download it, said I couldn't play it on my account (we aren't account sharing) so I restored licenses and wouldn't you know it, that worked

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Very early Switch first impressions, only just got to the enclave. Portable only, I don't do docked:

The good

- Looks super crisp. Wouldnt surprise me if it was running native 720p. Also seems to be running at 60, its buttery smooth.
- UI is very funcional, even if it takes a bit to get used to especially if you're coming from PC. Reminds me of the Diablo 3 UI.
- Two minimap modes, top right corner "circle" style, or on the right side of the screen no circle.
- Tooltips are good, you can press X on pretty much anything (stats, skills, gear) to get a detailed look at the skill or item. Impressive for a small screen.
- You can rebind any item or skill to the 8 buttons, thankfully. No game, I dont need the stupid town scroll taking up my X button thank you very much.
- Its Torchlight 2, on switch, seems pretty much like a perfect port. Based Panic Button.

The Bad

- the music is strangely set to 24% initially, so you basically can't hear it lol. Just a nitpick, you can of course raise or lower it.
-The stats tooltip is bugged and sometimes doesnt show the stat you are highlighting, which is a problem if you are trying to assign points. The stats are as follows, from top to bottom:

- Strength (for your wailing warrior type needs)
-Dexterity (for your stabby rogue type needs)
-Focus (magic, mana)
-Vitality (health, armor etc)

So keep this in mind and dont be fooled if sometimes you are hovering over focus and it says its vitality for example.

Thanks for sharing your impressions, Rhaknar! I'm eager to try the Switch port.

Deleted member 8005

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PS EU let me do a refund to my wallet so I could buy the non pre order edition. Playing now and the port is great. I'm gonna do a outlander.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
spent all morning playing, got my lvl 11 engineer now, been combing the levels with a fine comb to find all the quest / dungeons (one thing I always liked about torchlight 2 is that because of the Fame system, it incentivises you to do all you can because youre always earning fame from the elite monsters / sidequests, which in turn give you skill points on top of the points you get from leveling)

Framerate is holding up even if you do notice dips when chaos ensues, for example when im spamming my engineer cannon blast skill which is a fireball that pierces enemies, onto a group of enemies, with all sorts of enemy and my own cannon effects going on, and the screen shaking and shit, it drops. I think. Or its just the chaos. But im pretty sure its dropping lol. The cartoony art style does wonders for the game portable, I actually think it's quite a looker on the small screen, some of the dungeons look gorgeous.

Anyway, yeah its Torchlight 2, I mean that as a compliment. Theres no comprimise, its just torchlight 2 portable, its up there with diablo 3 in the "this is pretty nuts" department lol.

Funny sidenote: I've actually never played vanilla Torchlight 2, I only played the synergies mod, and I also never played any vanilla class, so it's actually a lot "newer" to me than expected.

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm giving the Switch version (portable) a little go and I'm impressed. It seems to be native 720p and 60fps. I haven't encountered any drops yet but I'm only near the start.

The controls and menu system do remind me of Diablo 3 Switch, and that's a good thing!

If you were on the fence, feel free to jump in. It's a great port.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
Torchlight II is probably my favorite ARPG diablo styled game out there, so yes i'm super hyped to get this on the Switch. Really too bad it doesn't have couch co-op, but I will get it nonetheless. This is a great Diablo styled game people, pick it up! The only thing it doesn't have that I wish it did, is seasons/leaderboards, but the game is still amazing regardless.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Torchlight II is probably my favorite ARPG diablo styled game out there, so yes i'm super hyped to get this on the Switch. Really too bad it doesn't have couch co-op, but I will get it nonetheless. This is a great Diablo styled game people, pick it up! The only thing it doesn't have that I wish it did, is seasons/leaderboards, but the game is still amazing regardless.
It was a great game in the early D3 days when Blizz messed everything up. D3 is clearly the better option now but for many that did not play TL, TL2 is probably a good start. People who love loot games are massively spoiled right now haha.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Played a few hours on the Switch half on handheld half docked both look great and run great. The only issues i have come across is sometimes items don't have their icon when on the ground and picking new stats are weird? Like if you open it and hit down it's still on strength but if you scroll down it then goes to agility. People who have never played Torchlight 2 might fuck up their stats if they don't pay attention hopefully that gets patched along with loot icons on the ground not showing soon.

I went in skeptic but goddamn is it good to be playing Torchlight 2 again and playing it in handheld.

Oct 27, 2017
Played a few hours on the Switch half on handheld half docked both look great and run great. The only issues i have come across is sometimes items don't have their icon when on the ground and picking new stats are weird? Like if you open it and hit down it's still on strength but if you scroll down it then goes to agility. People who have never played Torchlight 2 might fuck up their stats if they don't pay attention hopefully that gets patched along with loot icons on the ground not showing soon.

I went in skeptic but goddamn is it good to be playing Torchlight 2 again and playing it in handheld.

How are you playing on Switch already? Each time I try to launch the pre-loaded app, it tells me that it hasn't released yet and to try again later.

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
Lack of couch co-op is a bummer, but it's nice to see this get a console release

JMeth

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Plays great on the XBX outside of the Wellspring Temple puzzle area, framerate for some reason dropped horribly there. Like 10fps bad.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Game should be working on all consoles now, but please let me know if you are still having issues! Sorry for the delays!

Oct 29, 2017
Picked this up on Switch, will try it out later today - can't wait.

So damn odd that this game doesn't have local coop like Diablo 3...

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Game should be working on all consoles now, but please let me know if you are still having issues! Sorry for the delays!

Can one report bugs to you DashReindeer ? And maybe... a request?

Because, good lord dude, it's 2019 and you guys stuck with no respeccing in a action rpg? :( Surely some sort of respec potion would be easy to implement, I know it was always one of those mods that 100% of the playerbase always got on PC.

Bug wise, like others have mentioned, the Stat Screen tooltip is bugged, sometimes you hover over vitality and it shows Focus, sometimes Strength shows Dexterity etc. And if people don't know which icon is which, or are distracted, they will fuck up and waste points.

But yeah...about that respec >_>

so is Switch version 30 or 60fps?

Seems 60

Never played Torchlight. Does the game has a dodge move like Diablo 3?

no

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Wait I completely forgot about that.

dammit that might be enough to make me pass.

Yup. I've been playing since this morning, I've put like 8 hours straight into it now or something silly (don't judge me, I'm off work!), and here I am staring at my wasted 5 points into a skill I no logner use, and 1 point wasted on a skill I wanted to try. I could restart, but that should not be the way to handle this, not to mention that I would basically have to play hours on hand with just the starting skill, because the skills I actually want to use aren't until later.

Like there's even a respec NPC in the game, but only for the last 3 points used, which is completely useless (unless you put a point in by mistake I guess).

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Not hyped at all because I've heard it has no local co-op. Also I don't think they patched in real endgame content. You finish it and put it practically aside. For 20 bucks it's okay, I guess. But as PC version owner I have no reason at all to buy this port.

At least it's a much better ARPG than this Warhammer atrocity that could have easily been better by miles if they had made slight changes.

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
Im excited to go back to it, I've since joined the Grim Dawn troop, mainly because it doesn't have things that frustrate me (Identify scrolls, no respec) I hope I can still enjoy it.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Did this hit the eshop yet?
A bit over an hour ago. Like the others, it unlocked at the "regular time" not at midnight.

Early but Switch version looks quite clean and runs quite smooth. Loads fast too, so not much wait. Liked the Switch exclusive unicorn but is too big, so restarted with a cat. XD

Last edited:

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
It was a great game in the early D3 days when Blizz messed everything up. D3 is clearly the better option now but for many that did not play TL, TL2 is probably a good start. People who love loot games are massively spoiled right now haha.
eh the wife and i bounced off of diablo 3, but really enjoyed our time with torchlight 2 on pc, so diablo 3 isnt the clearly better option, though couch coop and respecs make it much better, as i was really looking forward to replaying it with my wife, but have no reason to anymore.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
eh the wife and i bounced off of diablo 3, but really enjoyed our time with torchlight 2 on pc, so diablo 3 isnt the clearly better option, though couch coop and respecs make it much better, as i was really looking forward to replaying it with my wife, but have no reason to anymore.
I think the steady improvements and content made D3 feel better but I love any loot game that comes out. I will try TL2 again, just because it's been years since I last played it.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Really bummed I've seen no mod support as of now as that was part of the fun of TLII on PC but I'm still going to double dip because I love the game.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can one report bugs to you DashReindeer ? And maybe... a request?

Because, good lord dude, it's 2019 and you guys stuck with no respeccing in a action rpg? :( Surely some sort of respec potion would be easy to implement, I know it was always one of those mods that 100% of the playerbase always got on PC.

Yeah, this is super disappointing, but is it even possible for them to add it to the game?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this is super disappointing, but is it even possible for them to add it to the game?

I dont see how its not the simplest thing to add, the mod was just a potion that reset your skills. Im sure they wont add it for...reasons, but I cant imagine its hard.

there is a npc that resets the last 3 skill points you used, and not just in the last hour or whatever, the last 3 you used period. Why not just make it so he resets all your skills? I mean, in the original I guess, but even back then in 2012 it was a archaic mechanic that modders QUICKLY changed and everyone modded. Fast forward 7 years and it just looks out of touch really (no respeccing I mean)

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The screen where you add stat points is bugged (stats). It scrolls down or up 5 times, when there are only 4 stat choices. If you start from the top it says strength, press up to make sure you are at the top, then down to dexterity, still says strength, then focus will say dexterity and vitality will say focus. Bug works the same going from bottom to top. At the bottom press down again to get it to say vitality, etc.

Also "Vitality" is a larger font size than the other stats

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I like giant enemy bosses, creative encounters, powerful pets, and graphical spectacle. I have Diablo 3 on switch, and it has all of the above, except it feels really grindy. I also have Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and kind of hate it. I bought Pillars of Eternity but i'm not ready for a full on RPG of that pace yet. Would i like this? Is this just D3 with a different art style take?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Really bummed I've seen no mod support as of now as that was part of the fun of TLII on PC but I'm still going to double dip because I love the game.
Mod support really carried the game on PC since Runic sure didn't bother with any content updates.

I'm a little bitter because I love the game and damn we couldn't get an expansion?