• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I have so much going on in life and gaming. This is just hitting at a bad time of the year. Maybe I'll check it out down the road when it discounts down the road.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
03-09-2019 probably (almost always) refers to US times. Sometimes Midnight EST sometimes noon the day of date...

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
03-09-2019 probably (almost always) refers to US times. Sometimes Midnight EST sometimes noon the day of date...

Never has in my experience. I've played a ton of digital games at midnight my time. Australia

And it's 8:30am my time now. And I've never had the store page crash like this either. Every time I look at it l, it crashes. But only on accounts that pre ordered the game

Oct 27, 2017
My pre order theme unlocked at midnight, but I still cannot download the game from the store (crashes) or my library (no option to download) on PS4.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
This is why I find all of the commentary about "them waiting so long to port it now" and what not strange. Runic is not around anymore and remaining staff split up to several other studios. The closest thing we have to Runic Games as of this moment is Echtra Games and they are currently working developing Torchlight Frontiers with backing from Perfect World. Considering how small Runic was with 30 or so person studio, I doubt even Echtra Games has enough extra hands to divert resources to go back to do work on Torchlight II.
I don't think people are saying the corpse of Runic Games should've ported over last year, but a 2014 release of a big 2012 PC release would've been the best time to do it and getting it out before Diablo III hit the PS4/XB1 would have probably helped big time.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
When I try to download thevgame off the uk PSN store it kicks me out of the store completely into the dashboard. Anyone else have this issue? First time I've ever seen this happen and I own tons of digital games

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think people are saying the corpse of Runic Games should've ported over last year, but a 2014 release of a big 2012 PC release would've been the best time to do it and getting it out before Diablo III hit the PS4/XB1 would have probably helped big time.

Both Travis Baldree (who was one of the lead programmers as well as co-founder of Runic Games) and Erich Schaefer left Runic around that time period. I don't think there was a case after TL2's release on PC because when Baldree and Erich Schaefer left, it also resulted in company being forced to cancel the game they were working on and lay off several staff. Not that Runic was that large to begin with. It was unrealistic case considering after TL2 came out, the PS4 or XBX wasn't even released yet, and with the studio having internal troubles with crucial staff exodus and layoffs, there wasn't a likely scenario of the game being ported back then.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Both Travis Baldree (who was one of the lead programmers as well as co-founder of Runic Games) and Erich Schaefer left Runic around that time period. I don't think there was a case after TL2's release on PC because when Baldree and Erich Schaefer left, it also resulted in company being forced to cancel the game they were working on and lay off several staff. Not that Runic was that large to begin with. It was unrealistic case considering after TL2 came out, the PS4 or XBX wasn't even released yet, and with the studio having internal troubles with crucial staff exodus and layoffs, there wasn't a likely scenario of the game being ported back then.
They worked with an external studio to help port Torchlight to Xbox 360, so they could've done the same with Torchlight II. There were a number of indie devs and pubs that specialized in porting PC games to PS4 and Xbox One around that time.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I guess this won't release tonight. Top of the next hout (1AM), and still wont unlock on Switch. Time for bed.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
They worked with an external studio to help port Torchlight to Xbox 360, so they could've done the same with Torchlight II. There were a number of indie devs and pubs that specialized in porting PC games to PS4 and Xbox One around that time.

There was no external studio. Runic ported Torchlight 1 to XBLA entirely themselves with Microsoft publishing. In fact it was because of the XBLA release that caused Torchlight II to get delayed from Spring to Summer of that year.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/01/runic-games-on-the-xbox-360-exclusive-of-torchlight/

Last edited:

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
There was no external studio. Runic ported Torchlight 1 to XBLA entirely themselves with Microsoft publishing. In fact it was because of the XBLA release that caused Torchlight II to get delayed from Spring to Summer of that year.

"What we thought originally was going to be an out of house port ended up being a lot more collaborative than we expected. We worked with an external team to move the game over to the Xbox 360 because the [Ogre] engine Torchlight runs on, has an Xbox 360 version. That ensured it would be easy to convert and not result in the 'worst console port ever'."

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
The store page now says released instead of coming soon. So that's progress lol

I was still getting the weird crash last time I checked tho

kosmickitten

Jul 2, 2019
Same, I can't open the page or download the game on psn. I tried the "download to your PS4" option on the store in a browser and that's not working either.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Just received a 50 MB update for the game on Xbox One X. The game still didn't seem to want to launch, so I restarted my console and am now able to play.

Nov 4, 2017
The lack of local coop and crossplay us kind of poopy (I don't have any Switch friends). But I'll probably bite on this do long as the Switch version reviews well.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's coming up to 6AM for me, and still not available on Switch in EU

Interesting to see launch is kinda iffy on all platforms, which suggest it is a publisher issue, and not the fault of individual storefronts

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry everyone! It is a holiday in the US and I was traveling back from PAX West today, so it has been hard to stay on top of this. It does appear that people who pre-ordered are unable to download the game. I do apologize to any of you who find themselves in this predicament. We are working on resolving this as soon as we can, but as I said the holiday is making it difficult.

As far as the Switch version goes, I have been told it will be available tomorrow morning (Pacific Time), so people should expect it then. Sorry, everyone! These things are always tough, but it's been compounded by the holiday and PAX, I think.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Sorry everyone! It is a holiday in the US and I was traveling back from PAX West today, so it has been hard to stay on top of this. It does appear that people who pre-ordered are unable to download the game. I do apologize to any of you who find themselves in this predicament. We are working on resolving this as soon as we can, but as I said the holiday is making it difficult.

As far as the Switch version goes, I have been told it will be available tomorrow morning (Pacific Time), so people should expect it then. Sorry, everyone! These things are always tough, but it's been compounded by the holiday and PAX, I think.

I appreciate the response. But damn. I gave you guys money upfront and I don't get the game?

Not a great look. Here's hoping it gets sorted quickly. I just want to play :D

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate the response. But damn. I gave you guys money upfront and I don't get the game?

Not a great look. Here's hoping it gets sorted quickly. I just want to play :D
Yeah, as I said, sincere apologies for that. We always want everyone who buys one of our games to have the best experience possible, so no one is really happy about this on our end either. We are all working to try and get this resolved as soon as we can, but I unfortunately don't have an estimate for you just yet.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Yeah, as I said, sincere apologies for that. We always want everyone who buys one of our games to have the best experience possible, so no one is really happy about this on our end either. We are all working to try and get this resolved as soon as we can, but I unfortunately don't have an estimate for you just yet.

I wonder if could get a refund from Sony and just buy it

Again thanks for at least talking to us. Appreciated!

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
No local co-op is a damn shame.

Hope its something they change their mind about and patch in.

Otherwise it's a pass sadly

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I went to check the store and the torchlight 2 page just literally hard locked my ps4pro. Left it for 10 minutes and it was still frozen. Had to unplug it from the wall. Yikes

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought it for my Switch, hopefully the Performance holds up. Seems Like a fun game

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Wow, runs at a solid 60 at 4K on X. Addiction started.
I wouldn't say that it's solid, but it's mostly solid.

For some reason, shortly after I started a new game, the frame rate was stuck in single digits for maybe 20-30 seconds. I assume something was loading.

The frame rate also has a tendency to chug when you level up, and I notice some small frame rate tips when things get really hectic during battle.

Also, when you load into a new area, the game seems to hitch up, with there being no animation for a moment.

Still, I'm really enjoying the game so far. I played through the original on Xbox One X (via the Xbox 360 version and Back Compat), and Torchlight II makes for a much more solid experience. The performance is absolutely terrible at times for the original game on Xbox 360 and Xbox One (even X), and it's nice to play the sequel at a pretty consistent 60 fps.

Seems like it's only affecting preorders?
Uhh, I pre-ordered and I'm playing on Xbox.
It did require a restart on my part, but I pre-ordered on Xbox One X and am able to play.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I wouldn't say that it's solid, but it's mostly solid.

For some reason, shortly after I started a new game, the frame rate was stuck in single digits for maybe 20-30 seconds. I assume something was loading.

The frame rate also has a tendency to chug when you level up, and I notice some small frame rate tips when things get really hectic during battle.

Also, when you load into a new area, the game seems to hitch up, with there being no animation for a moment.

Still, I'm really enjoying the game so far. I played through the original on Xbox One X (via the Xbox 360 version and Back Compat), and Torchlight II makes for a much more solid experience. The performance is absolutely terrible at times for the original game on Xbox 360 and Xbox One (even X), and it's nice to play the sequel at a pretty consistent 60 fps.

It did require a restart on my part, but I pre-ordered on Xbox One X and am able to play.

Yeah I've restarted a few times man. No go on my end

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
Pre ordered it for the switch , pre downloaded the game and it doesnt let me play :( im in canada

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
I suspect this will sell well on the switch.. I'm hoping if it does well on all platforms that they port Torchlight Frontiers next :)