• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna pick it up for the 1X. I played a few hours of Torchlight II when it came out, but I was already deep into Diablo 3 at that point so didn't stick with it. Hoping the jump to console goes well!

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
The original devs for this game aren't even around any more, at least in the sense they all don't work at one studio and are spread over different companies, this wasn't a case of Runic developing the game with added features like local co-op.

This is a port by Panic Button and even if local co-op was added, I doubt they would sell the game at $20 as a low budget re-release on console. If they went to the effort of doing the work involved to implement local co-op then the price would probably go up, but then at that point people would make issue with the games pricing being higher and question why it's more expensive then the original PC's MSRP.
even at $30 with local coop i think a lot of people would bite. the titan quest remake and viktor vran were 30 and 40 and most complaints werent Bout the price, but due to them being bad ports. there is a market for couch coop arpgs particularly on switch, and people would easily pay a bit more for it.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I know I am! Just launched Remnant and now Torchlight II! It's been a busy but awesome time over at Perfect World.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Weird that preloading on PS4 hasnt started yet. I cant even open the game page on PSN anymore but still shows that I can start the game on Sept 3rd.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely going to pick it up on Switch. Don't know when I'll actually have time to play it but oh well.

Erdtree

Oct 25, 2017
Weird that preloading on PS4 hasnt started yet. I cant even open the game page on PSN anymore but still shows that I can start the game on Sept 3rd.

Yeah i have same problem i have downloaded the theme and the pet but no game and when i go onto the store page i get kicked back to the dashboard

MufausaThe3rd

Dec 1, 2017
Not at all. I played this game like 5-6 years ago on Steam. I will have to pass on this one.

It is a good game though. I enjoyed it alot more than I did Diablo 3. So for those new to this. Definitely consider getting it.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Couldn't resist picking it up for Switch. Panic Button does awesome work and $20 is a great price for a fun modern ARPG. I appreciate that it's just 1.6 GB as well.

Oh it's Panic Button? Looking forward to seeing how they pulled this one off. Torchlight games use strictly one core on PC and thus are very much CPU bottlenecked. The first game's framerate sank to single digits on x360. Locked 30 on Switch would be very surprising without a major engine overhaul.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Huh, I swear I saw this already on Switch when I was grabbing Astral Chain. Maybe that was the original instead? I never actually finished the sequel, always loved the first as it gave a really good take on the dungeon crawler genre but the sequel felt a bit full for the sake of being full.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Looking forward to seeing how they pulled this one off. Torchlight games use strictly one core on PC and thus are very much CPU bottlenecked. The first game's framerate sank to single digits on x360. Locked 30 on Switch would be very surprising without a major engine overhaul.
The framerate on Switch is actually quite solid from a few gameplay videos I've seen. Looks like 30 at the very least:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even know this was coming out. Why now? Might pick it up for the Switch depending on reviews. DS3 is excellent on the Switch so this may be good for commutes.
Never played it? As someone who played D2 for like 2k hours and D3 for 500, TL2 is a really, really good game imo. Not sure how controls on consoles will be though.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Years ago I would have been interested, but Diablo is all I need if I want to scratch that game-style itch. Especially local co-op.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
I'm in no matter what, I think, but I am curious if this has anything resembling the near-infinite replayability that Diablo 3 does with the Adventure mode and rifts and all that...

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Didn't see this thread! So hyped for this. My girlfriend and I picked it up.

Any advice?

What kind of build you want to play? The Engineer and Berserker are close range melee classes. Berserker deals specifically with life draining abilities and a Rage mechanic which is sorta like Barbarian Shouts in which he sacrifices defense for more atk power but his constantly leeching life to compensate to keep his health up. Berserker uses dual handed claw weapons and is the closest parallel to is a hybrid of D2's Assassin, Druid, and Barbarian classes. Three skill trees are Berserker which is basically leeching and heavy melee attacks, Tundra which is Ice attacks and long range crowd control skills, and Shadow which has Shadow Wolf summons and increase the duration you stay in Rage mode.

Engineer uses two hand swords or hammers, but also act as a sword and board type. He uses technology for mainly firebomb and lightning grenade attacks, Also has a Robot companion that can send out heal auras. The Engineer has three skill trees: Blitz (melee attacks and two-handed weapons), Construction (summoned bots and grenade/cannon skills), and Aegis (shield-based and defensive skills).

The Embermage is the pure caster class doing Fire, Lightning, and Ice spells, and the Outlander is a Rogue / Assassin Hybrid class which it has strong bow skills which can ricochet off walls, Poison bomb / Poison Cloud attacks, throwing daggers, also some plant-like skills like brambles and vines that can hold the enemy in place.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I'm in no matter what, I think, but I am curious if this has anything resembling the near-infinite replayability that Diablo 3 does with the Adventure mode and rifts and all that...
i never beat it, but im pretty sure it doesnt. Though diablo 3s infinite replayability just ended up being a non stop grind for me.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
i never beat it, but im pretty sure it doesnt. Though diablo 3s infinite replayability just ended up being a non stop grind for me.

Actually it does. The Mapworks at the end of the game are endless randomly generated maps with different modifiers, which not unlike the Rift Dungeons. Then there is NG+ all the way up to NG+++++ which each + adding higher and higher difficulty beyond in the Elite difficulty setting.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Can't believe how long it took them to finally decide to port this.
I'm not surprised it took them this long; I'm kind of surprised we're getting it on consoles. Weren't the devs basically refusing to ever add controller support to the game at some point? I'm glad they finally caved, as I like the game play style of games like this, but only when using a controller. I could never really get into the genre on PC, but Record of Lodoss War on Dreamcast really grabbed me. Having directly control over your character's movement really does a lot for the experience.

jtar86

Nov 5, 2017
There were different randomly generated maps you could play at endgame. Similar to diablos rifts.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I'm not surprised it took them this long; I'm kind of surprised we're getting it on consoles. Weren't the devs basically refusing to ever add controller support to the game at some point? I'm glad they finally caved, as I like the game play style of games like this, but only when using a controller. I could never really get into the genre on PC, but Record of Lodoss War on Dreamcast really grabbed me. Having directly control over your character's movement really does a lot for the experience.

It's not the matter of the devs caving to add controller support or not. They closed their doors back in 2017, so chances are the original staff have no involvement in the port.

This is why I find all of the commentary about "them waiting so long to port it now" and what not strange. Runic is not around anymore and remaining staff split up to several other studios. The closest thing we have to Runic Games as of this moment is Echtra Games and they are currently working developing Torchlight Frontiers with backing from Perfect World. Considering how small Runic was with 30 or so person studio, I doubt even Echtra Games has enough extra hands to divert resources to go back to do work on Torchlight II.

At best this is Perfect World simply giving whatever assets and source code that were comprised of Torchlight II's PC release and Panic Button doing whatever they can to port it to console. Runic Games pretty much have nothing to do with this port.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Got a $20 eShop card as a gift yesterday, so preloaded it.

Switch version apparently has local wireless, so is an option for those with a friend getting the game to play locally.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I thought this game was on Xbox 360 like 10 years ago, but either way, it's a pretty fun arpg, really underrated because Diablo 3 was all the rage back in 2012.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It's not the matter of the devs caving to add controller support or not. They closed their doors back in 2017, so chances are the original staff have no involvement in the port.

This is why I find all of the commentary about "them waiting so long to port it now" and what not strange. Runic is not around anymore and remaining staff split up to several other studios. The closest thing we have to Runic Games as of this moment is Echtra Games and they are currently working developing Torchlight Frontiers with backing from Perfect World. Considering how small Runic was with 30 or so person studio, I doubt even Echtra Games has enough extra hands to divert resources to go back to do work on Torchlight II.

At best this is Perfect World simply giving whatever assets and source code that were comprised of Torchlight II's PC release and Panic Button doing whatever they can to port it to console. Runic Games pretty much have nothing to do with this port.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. It's nice to see that we're getting a version of Torchlight II with controller support, in either case. I always felt that the devs limited the success of the original release by limiting it to PC and being so against controller support. I'm glad it's able to be on more platforms now.

Oct 25, 2017
This bothers me because, after looking at the success of Diablo III on console, I still think that Runic Games could have saved itself if they released the game on consoles too instead of sticking to their "only on PC" policy with this specific title.

Oh, well...
I honestly think the game is too B tier to be saved by a console port. It doesn't help that at the time they used LAN and official mod suport as marketing points since people were disappointed at D3 not having either, and both are moot for consoles.
It would need quite the revamp to grab attention, and I not sure they had the resources to even do the necessary performance + UX tweaks consoles would require at the time.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Played the hell out of it when it first released on PC, and Runic making TL2 their second ARPG with zero post-launch content support made me swear off ever buying their games again.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Hmmm. It says the 3rd here, and it is the 3rd. I'm getting this weird error where every time I try and look at the store page, the store crashes out

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
For me, it says September 2nd at 9 p.m. Not sure about other regions and time zones, but that means it should be available in six hours for me.

It is 8am of the 3rd here. I tried it at midnight and had the store crash whenever I looked at the game. The web store says it's in queue to download but it never downloads.

A few people on other boards are saying the same thing so I guess somethings up