• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
I also hope this has native controller support on PC. Playing extended sessions in these types of games with all the constant non-stop clicking just gets really straining.
I'm still waiting for at least one game from this genre that have auto-attacking after first click like for example in Lineage 2.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Following the release of Torchlight II, Travis Baldree and Erich Schaefer left Runic Games to start their own studio, Double Damage Games and created Rebel Galaxy.

When Baldree and Erich left, the company was forced to cancel the game they were working on and lay off several staff and in the aftermath, they changed their focus to Hob. In 2016, Max Schaefer departed as well who founded Echtra under Perfect World and is currently developing Torchlight Frontiers.

Basically Runic may as well be Echtra Games since it contains several of the former Runic and Blizzard North devs.

And do people honestly click for each attack in these games? You could almost always click on an enemy and hold the button down and your character would continuously attack that enemy until it is dead or you released the button to do something else.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Awesome news! Obviously this will make more people hyped for the game, and it's already working.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the original developers of the Torchlight games went belly up. First time I even heard of this F2P mobile game.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Keen to finally get back into the lore and world of Vilderan, especially with the centuries that have passed.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I loved TL1, 2 didn't really land for me in the same way but was still fun for a playthrough. I'm more excited for this knowing it's not going to be a F2P MMO.

Does the presence of an offline mode mean mods? It'd be a shame if that was dropped.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic news. Definitely much more interested now it's a premium game than I would be if it were F2P.

Oct 28, 2017
And do people honestly click for each attack in these games? You could almost always click on an enemy and hold the button down and your character would continuously attack that enemy until it is dead or you released the button to do something else.
Of course, but where's the fun in that?

And cool to learn about Torchlight 3, I had no idea Frontiers existed...

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
For those of you waiting on your alpha/beta keys to arrive... they've hit a snag and are working on sending out the rest of the keys.
Accounts that haven't claimed their keys are supposedly going to have them resent on friday as well.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda sad in a sense, for them Torchlight was always meant a step block toward a mmo arpg like their proof of concept Mythos (before torchlight). Torchlight Frontiers seemed to be that, until ofc it wasn't anymore.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Played some this weekend. The class that lays down train tracks and has turrets on the tracks following you is the best.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
For those of you waiting on your alpha/beta keys to arrive... they've hit a snag and are working on sending out the rest of the keys.
Accounts that haven't claimed their keys are supposedly going to have them resent on friday as well.
I played the game at PAX West last year and I believe signed up for alpha/beta access then.. I search my email maybe once a month for "Torchlight" and have never gotten anything :(

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Played some this weekend. The class that lays down train tracks and has turrets on the tracks following you is the best.

It really is. I mean, nothing against the other classes, but something as unique and cool as the Railmaster just kind of overwhelms all other options. That's not even an NDA "don't talk about it" thing, like mentioning I've been playing the game with a controller might be considered, but rather something you can tell just by looking at the pictures.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
people talking about controller support, i played this weekend on a controller the functionality is already there

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
people talking about controller support, i played this weekend on a controller the functionality is already there
Yep.

A few UI elements are a bit difficult/impossible with a pad but general gameplay is solid with a pad.

Obviously it's very alpha and servers are broken half the time but it's a solid base to work from imho.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
Yep.

A few UI elements are a bit difficult/impossible with a pad but general gameplay is solid with a pad.

Obviously it's very alpha and servers are broken half the time but it's a solid base to work from imho.

agreed i wish more arpgs would just use the sticks as a "mouse" for navigating the ui ala destiny. left stick is one speed add right stick for modifying the speed, triggers as confirm cancel bumpers for tabs.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
There's a bunch of interesting ARPG development going on behind the scenes. Wolcen is due out in just a couple weeks, and Last Epoch looks halfway decent too. I hadn't even heard of either until last month.

Hmm.. dang.. Wolcen and Last Epoch.. never heard of either, both in Early Access. Might be what I do this weekend, although early access ARPGs can be rough lol

OP
OP
Damaniel

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Hmm.. dang.. Wolcen and Last Epoch.. never heard of either, both in Early Access. Might be what I do this weekend, although early access ARPGs can be rough lol

If you had to pick one, I'd choose Wolcen - it's much closer to launch and the devs are really committed to getting it right. Last Epoch has more content right now, but it's a little on the jankier side. I've been pretty pleased with both though.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
It really is. I mean, nothing against the other classes, but something as unique and cool as the Railmaster just kind of overwhelms all other options. That's not even an NDA "don't talk about it" thing, like mentioning I've been playing the game with a controller might be considered, but rather something you can tell just by looking at the pictures.

I think they said you can talk about the game just not take screenshots and videos.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I was hoping the trailer would do the amazing "Versus XIII -> XV" transition that Square Enix did way back when. I still think that was cool as fuck.

The-Journey-from-Versus-XIII-to-XV-final-fantasy-xv-37695916-499-267.gif

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
If you had to pick one, I'd choose Wolcen - it's much closer to launch and the devs are really committed to getting it right. Last Epoch has more content right now, but it's a little on the jankier side. I've been pretty pleased with both though.
Nice, guess I'll wait for launch then either way.. kinda silly to start a character in early access.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I also hope this has native controller support on PC. Playing extended sessions in these types of games with all the constant non-stop clicking just gets really straining.

After playing D3 on a controller on consoles (After playing countless hours of D1, 2, 3, and T1, 2 using a mouse and keyboard), I just don't want to go back to using a mouse and keyboard for this genre. I think these games just play really well with a controller.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Wolcen is pretty near final. It was scheduled to release on the 31st of January, but had some last minute snag and is releasing on Feb 13. It hasn't been updated for quite some time but devs have been doing weekly vids of progress updates, so I'm expecting a rather comprehensive patch when the game leaves early access next week.

Also consider once the game leaves Early Access it's price may increase as typically the case most of the time.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Controller support is there, though not fully fleshed out just yet. I think we are looking to improve our controller support in the near future, but for now it's definitely already playable that way.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Wolcen is pretty near final. It was scheduled to release on the 31st of January, but had some last minute snag and is releasing on Feb 13. It hasn't been updated for quite some time but devs have been doing weekly vids of progress updates, so I'm expecting a rather comprehensive patch when the game leaves early access next week.
Thanks! Damaniel said a couple weeks guess he wasn't kidding lol

Hmm.. debating actually checking the game out in early access actually.. kinda fun, I'll get to see at least some of the "final" changes.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Will the housing stuff still be in there in some form?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
After playing D3 on a controller on consoles (After playing countless hours of D1, 2, 3, and T1, 2 using a mouse and keyboard), I just don't want to go back to using a mouse and keyboard for this genre. I think these games just play really well with a controller.

It's quite amazing really that a few years ago folks were adamant against controller support for Diablo-clones couldn't possibly see the benefit beyond mouse and keyboard controls.

I find it ironic specific subset of PC users are so restrictive on what controls a game must adhere to, especially so on a platform that entirely emphasizes all about customization and having options.

In fact some folks are still slow to adopt to multiple control options as evident with stuff like Cities: Skylines, Civilization, and tradition PC style RPGs like Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, and Baldur's Gate.

Glad that some folks realize that having options and being able to choose the control scheme they want to use is something that more and more embraced.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still hesitant due to Perfect World being involved, everytime I've seen that logo on a game start up it's been awful.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's quite amazing really that a few years ago folks were adamant against controller support for Diablo-clones couldn't possibly see the benefit beyond mouse and keyboard controls.

I find it ironic specific subset of PC users are so restrictive on what controls a game must adhere to, especially so on a platform that entirely emphasizes all about customization and having options.

In fact some folks are still slow to adopt to multiple control options as evident with stuff like Cities: Skylines, Civilization, and tradition PC style RPGs like Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, and Baldur's Gate.

Glad that some folks realize that having options and being able to choose the control scheme they want to use is something that more and more embraced.
Depends on the game, Diablo 3 played fine but then it had nothing like a hammerdin in Diablo 2, which I can imagine being horrid with controller. The Sorceress from D2 would also control terribly.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

DIablo 3 sort of proved the concept.. but it's like a totally different game to play on a controller. They made it really fun though and stuff like the dodge roll was just way more a part of the gameplay when I played on PS4 vs. the clicky-click of PC lol

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I'm watching MrLamaSC interview and play with Max Schaefer in the alpha on Twitch right now. It's looking good so far. Apparently alpha keys are going out too. I wonder if they'll open it up a bit more sometime soon.