• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Ancestors and Death Stranding (kinda) in this list is the proof that gamers only want stuff they already know, and hate any bold new concept.

Developpers, just make a game using concepts that worked in other popular games and you won't end up is the "worst gaems of the year" list. That's litterally all it takes.

I wish "fun" wouldn't be a criteria of quality anymore.

I mean, maybe you're just thinking of the AAA space?

Outer Wilds, Disco Elysium, UGG, Slay the Spire, Baba is You, Telling Lies and more have all be celebrated during GOTY season.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
True but who thought he wouldn't do this list as well? Unfortunately negativity gets more attention.

i mean... even Jirard the completionist, one of the most positive youtuber out there that almost never criticize anything has a worst games of the year list...

i won't fault someone who gravitate more towards negative video the same way as i won't fault someone for only doing positive video

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Games on the list are rushed, crappy experiences designed to extract the money and shit in your mouth. I pity the people who bought them instead of having quality games where you can actually see the hard work and respect to the player. Mocking and spotlighting terrible games is one of the ways to prevent people from buying them (and publishers from releasing them)
[/QUOTE]

But I do not think anybody on purpose try to release a shitty game and on purpose rush a game. The devs work hard, and yes sometimes its the publishers that push to release a game sooner than later but in the end the devs are only working hard to make sure their work is appreciated.

We could discuss features that aren't good in a game that Devs shouldn't do or publishers should avoid. Not bash the whole game.

Like ....

MK11: Great game but grinding and the Krypt is horrible this time around.

Oct 27, 2017
But I do not think anybody on purpose try to release a shitty game and on purpose rush a game. The devs work hard, and yes sometimes its the publishers that push to release a game sooner than later but in the end the devs are only working hard to make sure their work is appreciated.

We could discuss features that aren't good in a game that Devs shouldn't do or publishers should avoid. Not bash the whole game.

Like ....

MK11: Great game but grinding and the Krypt is horrible this time around.

Let me know when your approach bears any course correction in developer/publisher attitude.

I know that trashing Breakpoint into pieces made Ubisoft revamp their entire strategy. It took an incremental progress towards making games worse and worse, until the market retaliated with vengeance.

Similar thing for Lootboxes for EA: ain't nobody cared when people were a little upset with monetization, but as soon as you got the entire internet bandwagon rolling... EA started paying attention.

This idea that game developer is the only profession without bad apples. It is a job, and just like every company, you will have the range of employees from geniuses to slackers. I also don't want to separate the publisher from developer when it comes to assigning blame, they can figure it out themselves why people hate their games.

And there is another thing. Developers know when they fuck up. Most of the problems in the hated games are spotted from the mile away, and all the Beta tests will result in users being unhappy.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Ancestors and Death Stranding (kinda) in this list is the proof that gamers only want stuff they already know, and hate any bold new concept.

Developpers, just make a game using concepts that worked in other popular games and you won't end up is the "worst gaems of the year" list. That's litterally all it takes.

Yes, that's why Disco Elysium, Plague Tale and Outer Wilds are critically acclaimed, appear on many GOTY lists and the players loved them as well. Because players literally only want more COD sequels or something.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Let me know when your approach bears any course correction in developer/publisher attitude.

I know that trashing Breakpoint into pieces made Ubisoft revamp their entire strategy. It took an incremental progress towards making games worse and worse, until the market retaliated with vengeance.

Similar thing for Lootboxes for EA: ain't nobody cared when people were a little upset with monetization, but as soon as you got the entire internet bandwagon rolling... EA started paying attention.

This idea that game developer is the only profession without bad apples. It is a job, and just like every company, you will have the range of employees from geniuses to slackers. I also don't want to separate the publisher from developer when it comes to assigning blame, they can figure it out themselves why people hate their games.

And there is another thing. Developers know when they fuck up. Most of the problems in the hated games are spotted from the mile away, and all the Beta tests will result in users being unhappy.
You do have a good point. If we speak up, only then they will realize what they did wrong. But I believe they hear that from Twitter and FB and other mediums and learn from their mistakes.

I guess the point I was trying to make was that we shouldn't TITLE this thread with "SHITTY" and all.

But yes you are right. Once we speak up, they notice and fix the games. But to your point, it was the features that were being discussed and then they were addressed.

Feed back is always important.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Crackdown 3 was awesome and just what I wanted from the game.

But not everyone likes the same stuff. (Shrug) That's ok.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4JhesJv.jpg

"Muuust not mention... Shenmue 3... Must resiiiist!"

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
If Crackdown 3 was called 'City Runners' or something it wouldn't be on any top 10 worst lists. The fact that they promised so much with the Crackdown name and delivered so little is why people shit on it so much. Jim is right that it plays exactly like Crackdown 1, and that's not good enough in 2019.
Hell playing exactly like Crackdown didn't help the second game and that came out in 2010.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Excellent video (but I've been following Jim Sterling for quite awhile so its expected I'd love it)

Didnt really play any of those games aside from Ghost Recon Breakpoint (during that $1 uplay service subscription). I was sad they ditched the 4 coop AI teammates due to rushing it out the door. Sure I have a bud to play it coop with but it felt incomplete in that regard. I loved the AI helpers when I played Wildlands (the predecessor) single player. Also the "always online" BS scared me away. figure I'd buy it real cheap one day once they fix the game and make it so you can play offline

One has to wonder where ubisoft gets these ideas. No one asked for "always online", no one asked for leaving out key features we had in Wildlands (AI teammates), and I darn for sure didnt ask for "RPG stats" but here we are.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I found Ancestors kinda enjoyable, but I can see that most people would find that game infuriating or boring.

And regarding that Death Stranding trailer: the dumbest part is that the man is crying to a TRAILER of Death Stranding and not the game itself

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
The more "produced" Sterling's content gets the less I like it tbh.
The whole "dance" thing or the add/trailer bit is just embarrassing. When he's just talking it's much more enjoyable.
Pretty standard list overall, no real surprises.

it's kind of like an inverse AVGN with me. years ago i laughed hystrerically at the cheap shots with steam shovelware and such. eventually you have to go bigger and lose some 'soul' along the way, i understand. but now it's just like watching a guy throwing beer bottles at his tv and yelling

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, maybe you're just thinking of the AAA space?

Outer Wilds, Disco Elysium, UGG, Slay the Spire, Baba is You, Telling Lies and more have all be celebrated during GOTY season.
Ancestors is also an Indie. People might hate the weird concepts before hand but it is in the game to convince them that it works. Ancestors didnt manage to do it and Death Stranding did in some people.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ancestors is also an Indie. People might hate the weird concepts before hand but it is in the game to convince them that it works. Ancestors didnt manage to do it and Death Stranding did in some people.
Perfectly valid for concepts that result in Death Stranding to be shunned, its not a good game for many. Being on worst game of the year shouldn't be a surprise.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I think it says everything that his Best games of 2019 video, now 8 days old, has 447,000 views

His shit games of 2019 video, released yesterday, has almost 432,000 views

lol

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The list said:
Anthem
WWE2K20
Samael Legacy of Ophichud
Crackdown 3
SolSeraph
Contra Rogue Corps
Ancestors the Humankind Odyssey
Flowers are Dead
Ghost Recon Breakpoint
Left Alive

The only game I've played on this list was the Anthem demo ... and that was enough to let me know I wouldn't enjoy it.

I win 2019!

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The war on negativity continues. Hopefully it can be stamped out in 2020 and also everyone is forced to smile and think happy thoughts. /s

Funny video, not meant to be taken too seriously I don't think!

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played Anthem, Contra and Breakpoint beta's or demos and those games were awful. I also know how fucking awful Left Alive is.

The rest looks awful too though Crackdown just looks very dated and uninspired, not utterly broken like some others.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I played Anthem, Contra and Breakpoint beta's or demos and those games were awful. I also know how fucking awful Left Alive is.

The rest looks awful too though Crackdown just looks very dated and uninspired, not utterly broken like some others.
To be fair to the devs, Crackdown 3 was the end result of total development hell and probably corporate mismanagement. Like it was pitched as this game that would showcase the Xbox One's cloud computing tech with fully physics-based destructible environments. They probably spent a ton of time trying make that into a reality, then scrapped it and had to rush out a game with the time they had.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I gave WWE 2K20 a pretty negative review and yet it's probably my most-played 2019 game by a significant margin.

That's when I realized that I don't feel like writing reviews anymore.

What can I say? Creating wrestlers and watching them wrestle is stupidly addictive.

I'm curious (because I never played 2K20) why not just play 2k19? Are there actual improvements in 2k20 that can overcome all their mistakes besides just an updated roster?

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Positive video: 448,265 views / 8 days:

Negative video: 440,648 views / 1 day:

WHY WON'T YOU DO MORE POSITIVE VIDEOS, JIM?!?!

Mehdren

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I loved Crackdown but Crackdown 3 got the reception it deserved.

Also, it's fine to like a bad game but that doesn't make it good.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Crackdown 3 deserves that recognition. (It's okay to like bad games. I beat Crackdown 3 as well).

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then don't come in here, watch his videos or post in threads about him?

Problem solved.
It's like going to a bar to complain about all the people drinking alcohol.

I think it's pretty well accepted that people are more likely to remember negative aspects of life than positive aspects. You're more likely to post a negative review of a restaurant than a positive review.

People love to complain and they love to hear people complain about things they already don't like.

Last edited:

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I played and finished Left Alive and its absolutely the worst thing I somehow still kind of liked.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Agree 100% that if CD3 had been released with a different name it wouldn't appear on many "worst of" lists. I think it's clear to see from most of the comments here that either say "I enjoyed it but understand why it's here" and "I forgot it even exists" that it's not a bad game, it's just very mediocre. MS's exclusives problem coupled with the original over-hyping of their cloud-based destruction tech plays a large part of why CD3 lands, deservedly, on this list IMO. I personally really enjoyed it, and while I highly doubt we'll ever get another one I still think with the right changes (remove any focus on vehicles, go all in on increasing player traversal and offer large amounts of (possibly branching) player and weapon upgrades) it would fit right in as a high-AA, low-AAA gamepass game.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I had never seen that Death Stranding trailer before, holy shit that's embarrassing.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man is Anthem really that bad? It looked so badass in trailers... Still tempted to get it, with tempered expectations.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I still think Crackdown 3 is a solid game. Not sure why it receives such hate. It's simplistic but a lot of fun.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I still think Crackdown 3 is a solid game. Not sure why it receives such hate. It's simplistic but a lot of fun.

I think people here have a hard time separating games from their development. It's an easy game to dunk on, given its history. Microsoft was hated by many when it was announced. The "cloud" talk didn't help either

I also think that a lot of people (those that actually tried the game) didn't play it long enough to level up agility enough to find the fun that we did. The lower levels of agility (or explosives) are not where the game is fun.

Those that didn't try the game are just trolling.

I really enjoyed Crackdown 3 though. I found every agility orb. I'll be back for the rest of the hidden orbs at some point. I've already spent 19 hours playing it.

Last edited:

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think people here have a hard time separating games from their development. It's an easy game to dunk on, given its history. Microsoft was hated by many when it was announced. The "cloud" talk didn't help either

I also think that a lot of people (those that actually tried the game) didn't play it long enough to level up agility enough to find the fun that we did. The lower levels of agility (or explosives) are not where the game is fun.

Those that didn't try the game are just trolling.

I really enjoyed Crackdown 3 though. I found every agility orb. I'll be back for the rest of the hidden orbs at some point. I've already spent 19 hours playing it.

People shouldn't have to play a game for several hours for the fun/quality to kick in. That's just poor game design.

I don't even consider CD3 a 'bad' game but frankly, there's too much quality software out there for me to waste hours slogging through something I'm not enjoying because it supposedly gets better.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious (because I never played 2K20) why not just play 2k19? Are there actual improvements in 2k20 that can overcome all their mistakes besides just an updated roster?
By the time I finished my review for 2K20, I realized that I already had an established custom roster. Most of my play-time in wrestling games is spent creating wrestlers and simming matches. I didn't feel like starting from scratch in 2K19.

Plus there have been a few patches that made 2K20 much more manageable. Of course, 2K then fucked that up with the "Y2K20 bug".