• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Not controversial, but I had a much better time with Crackdown then I expected. It's not impressive in any way, and inferior to the original in some ways, but damn it's still fun to throw cars at enemies and super punch them.

Of course these are lists made up of games these Youtubers played. I've yet to see Rune 2 make any of these lists and that's an unfinished mess.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure a few Crackdown 3 fans will not be happy and will let us all know.

tenor.gif

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Was ancestors that bad?

Only heard of it recently and it looked interesting, checked out some videos on it and people said it didn't tell you anything and was pretty grindy but otherwise I thought it sounded like it could be fun to give a go.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the shit out of Crackdown 3 and wish there were more open world games like it. It makes me sad to see it on a list like this :(

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
I enjoyed Crackdown 3 but I'm not offended if other people dislike it. Each to their own.

I had played CD1 for the first time a couple months before launch of CD3 and it felt like was a pretty big upgrade to me.

Surprised Shenmue 3 didn't make the list (another game I enjoyed). Both of those games may seem archaic but actually have a lot of improvements over previous entries that I guess are more noticeable if you have played them recently.

Will watch the video later tonight.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
If Crackdown 3 was called 'City Runners' or something it wouldn't be on any top 10 worst lists. The fact that they promised so much with the Crackdown name and delivered so little is why people shit on it so much. Jim is right that it plays exactly like Crackdown 1, and that's not good enough in 2019.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I almost finished Crackdown 3, after literally buying an OG Xbox One near launch for it because I loved 1 and 2.

Only redeeming feature was its HDR, everything else was sadly awful, especially the city itself.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean he could have put Sekiro on there for a laugh & said the difficulty was "bonkers" but i dunno if he wants all the downvotes just for extra views.
Funny thing is, he doesn't actually enjoy Sekiro - he's also said it's a really well made game... But it also caters to a very specific playstyle that he doesn't actually enjoy. That doesn't mean it's bad as far as he's concerned, it's just that he just can't enjoy it like he could the other Soulslikes because it forces a very specific playstyle that he can't get into.

Oct 25, 2017
I love you Jim. As a person who enjoyed Crackdown 3, now knowing I have bad ideas, is a bitter, but necessary pill swallow.

Also, fuck you. I mean, I still like you as a person and will continue to enjoy your content, but, you know, fuck you.

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out why Ubi would greenlight a 2nd Tim Cloncey near future military shooter loot-em-up to release in the same year as The Division 2.

Even if Breakpoint was good, wouldn't they just cannibalize each other?

Division 2 underperformed too so no. If both games were better accepted they would both coexist without issues because they kinda scratch different itch. But they both had more flaws than good things and they failed. It is enough to look at community poll results and see how off the mark they were with Breakpoint.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Terrible list. More negativity to gain clicks. If you were to say most disappointing games, would've bought it. Shittiest? Part of the reason people were disappointed with those games was based on expectations. People expected something great or really good and got mediocre.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Crackdown 3 to me was a decent game. It's definitely nothing special, but there's nothing about it that stands out as "downright terrible". It's not broken or unbalanced like a lot of the other games on the list. It's literally just CD1 "HD" so a lot of enjoyment from it comes to how much you'd enjoy playing CD1 today on your old Xbox 360.

I will say however, gamepass diminishes some of the expectations on it (Let's be real here, majority of people here played it through that service). Had Gamepass never been a thing when it came out? It definitely shouldn't have been more than a $40 dollar title. Hell, even now it really should have never been $60.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Overall I think pretty good year to be honest. You could see all those terrible games coming to actually buy any of those you gotta be on some serious high.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Division 2 underperformed too so no. If both games were better accepted they would both coexist without issues because they kinda scratch different itch. But they both had more flaws than good things and they failed. It is enough to look at community poll results and see how off the mark they were with Breakpoint.

tbf division 2 was 'well accepted' outside gripes of it not being in winter-stricken NYC. it was probably the only game of it's type (mmo lite/looter) that started out the gate without any tire fires to put out.

just for whatever reason nobody really stuck around. my armchair take is it came a little too soon, speaking for myself but i went into it completely burnt out already

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
tbf division 2 was 'well accepted' outside gripes of it not being in winter-stricken NYC. it was probably the only game of it's type (mmo lite/looter) that started out the gate without any tire fires to put out.

just for whatever reason nobody really stuck around. my armchair take is it came a little too soon, speaking for myself but i went into it completely burnt out already

Ubisoft said that underperformed that is what i meant. From what I saw Division 2 did launch too soon and fatigue is only part of the problem, other part is that game itself wasn't polished enough. It wasn't broken like Breakpoint but it wasn't even close to level of polish that Division 1 had after 2 years of support and as we saw multiple times you can't sell less polished sequel of GAAS game.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
SolSeraph and Left Alive had so much potential. I mean, I guess you could say all of the games on the list had potential, but what a drag.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
"Disappointing" games might have been nicer. But I realise it's Jim so whatever. Lots of real people poured blood, sweat and tears in to these games even if they turned out less than desired.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Jim absolutely does positive videos but what I find a bit disappointing is that the 'bad games of 2019' list is double that of the good ones.

It doesn't help the impression that here's a bit of a negative Nigel - not saying he has to like more than 5 games in any given year but it just feels a bit unbalanaced.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I returned to join the Crackdown 3 = trash gang. It straight out doesn´t deserve to exist in the way it was shipped. Not necessary a flop 10 of the year but easily EASILY one in the AAA space. There is only one Crackdown and even it aged badly as I returned to the now free game in early 2019.

That said, I discovered this PS4 Pro/Destra ad due to Jim:

Cringe, thy name is Sony! 2006 nightmare baby intensifies.

Oct 25, 2017
The more "produced" Sterling's content gets the less I like it tbh.
The whole "dance" thing or the add/trailer bit is just embarrassing. When he's just talking it's much more enjoyable.
Pretty standard list overall, no real surprises.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I returned to join the Crackdown 3 = trash gang. It straight out doesn´t deserve to exist in the way it was shipped. Not necessary a flop 10 of the year but easily EASILY one in the AAA space. There is only one Crackdown and even it aged badly as I returned to the now free game in early 2019.

That said, I discovered this PS4 Pro/Destra ad due to Jim:

Cringe, thy name is Sony! 2006 nightmare baby intensifies.

I cannot believe this ad is real. I can't! I thought Sterling was just fucking around.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
The PS4 Pro ad is pretty lame, but you can go on Youtube to watch people bawling at the ending of Death Stranding. Shuhei Yoshida also mentioned their internal testers crying or such, so I imagine that's where some marketing department got the idea lol.

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
Ancestors and Death Stranding (kinda) in this list is the proof that gamers only want stuff they already know, and hate any bold new concept.

Developpers, just make a game using concepts that worked in other popular games and you won't end up is the "worst gaems of the year" list. That's litterally all it takes.

I wish "fun" wouldn't be a criteria of quality anymore.

Edit : good points were given to me. Turns out nothing is that simple.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 Pro ad is pretty lame, but you can go on Youtube to watch people bawling at the ending of Death Stranding. Shuhei Yoshida also mentioned their internal testers crying or such, so I imagine that's where some marketing department got the idea lol.

It wasn't the ending that got to me, but sure lets laugh at people being human or sentimental :S
The worst part of this is people will believe that ps4 pro has anything to do with the game

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really loved Ancestors for being such a weirdo in a conventional box. I can understand not liking it but there's so much to respect that I'd think someone like Jim would see past the "lol u a monkey" response

Oct 26, 2017
Ancestors and Death Stranding (kinda) in this list is the proof that gamers only want stuff they already know, and hate any bold new concept.

Developpers, just make a game using concepts that worked in other popular games and you won't end up is the "worst gaems of the year" list. That's litterally all it takes.

I wish "fun" wouldn't be a criteria of quality anymore.
While there is truth to gamers wanting stuff or variations of stuff that they're already familiar with, I wouldn't use Death Stranding as an example of such, considering it still has a lot of elements in line with a lot of games and has the majority of GotY awards. Some folk disliking it isn't proof that gamers hate bold new concepts, considering plenty of other games with bold new concepts were beloved this decade, like Minecraft

Also, fun absolutely should be a criteria for quality. It'd be bizarre to not use that

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
It wasn't the ending that got to me, but sure lets laugh at people being human or sentimental :S
The worst part of this is people will believe that ps4 pro has anything to do with the game

Yeah I don't know what it adds other than toxicity. It's not like Jim completed DS, either. Like there's a video on YT of someone breaking down to cry at several points during the ending and her partner coming over to hug her, it's all very nice and wholesome. But I guess those people are over-emotional dumbasses for us to feel smugly superior toward or something

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Honestly, I don't think a thread like this should exist.

Nobody tries to make a bad game. A lot of hard work goes into it. It is very easy to bash a game or any medium for that matter.

That is my opinion.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Tom Tom's Ghost Clancy Breakfast is the real MVP of that list.
It's a truly terrible game, and I'm saying that as someone who loved The Division 2 and somewhat enjoyed Wildlands.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I don't think a thread like this should exist.

Nobody tries to make a bad game. A lot of hard work goes into it. It is very easy to bash a game or any medium for that matter.

That is my opinion.

We should just celebrate every game, because they are beautiful in their own ways.

Games on the list are rushed, crappy experiences designed to extract the money and shit in your mouth. I pity the people who bought them instead of having quality games where you can actually see the hard work and respect to the player. Mocking and spotlighting terrible games is one of the ways to prevent people from buying them (and publishers from releasing them)

Last edited:

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I forgot that Crackdown existed tbh, let alone it launched this year. Poor devs who had to work on this project.