• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Good video as always. Bit surprised by some of his picks, but can see what he's talking about each time. Knew I'd see Avengers and CP2077 in there.

I've never seen Deadly Premonition 2 but even if it was the best game ever I could never play a game that runs like that. Fuck me. Would give me a headache after 10 minutes.

Volcynika

Oct 26, 2017
I may have disagreed a bit with Avengers on the list due to myself enjoying the campaign, but I would've enjoyed it a lot more if I'd been able to *actually* finish it. When I go to a point of "hey to do this mission we need [x] resources" and I get to the point where the enemy that drops one of the rare resources never ever spawned even after a couple hours of attempts on missions where the odds were high, I straight up uninstalled the game and watched the rest on Youtube. That awful gating of the campaign just put a bad taste in my mouth for any positive opinion I had about the game.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
You're speaking about whataboutism while throwing around that this games insults the intelligence of children and there is simply no evidence of that being true.
I don't think you understand what these words mean.

It was critically well received despite being short (the biggest critique).
It's metacritic average is in the low 70s on all platforms but the PS4 (where it's in the high 70s). That's not reviewing critically well.

It sold well enough for a discount title also on gamepass.
We actually don't know how much it sold, outside of knowing that it was at the top of some charts for its first week. It probably did fine, but it clearly wasn't notable enough for microsoft to bother saying something.

This thread is frankly the first time i'm hearing how insulting the game apparently was to kids worldwide so all i'm asking is for any evidence of this outside of "my kid thought it was stupid" cause i simply havent seen it anywhere.
You could watch the video that this thread is about or pay attention to what people are saying in this thread.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
You could watch the video that this thread is about or pay attention to what people are saying in this thread.

You could stop trying to win a discussion with "you didnt watch the video lol" if you want a serious argument. Do i need a timestamp recording of my own watching the video when it was posted plus a print of my youtube story to convince Nairume? do tell me, maybe i need to contact some lawyers too

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I haven't played yet, but I will eventually. What bothered me in his opinion is the whole "it's not innovative!" angle that a lot of reviewers use to hide uninformed opinions and sometimes even bias.
-game has (janky) platforming thanks to having a jump button
-game has secrets specifically coded to phases of the station's rotation orbit (and a complex mirror array you need to manipulate to redirect the black hole radiation to activate said doors in different locations
-game has multiple environmental hazard types that require specific armor, including fighting in open space for short durations.

Like, I get that it's not a revolutionary game that will turn the souls-like genre on its head; but to say that the game does nothing new is just lazy. Just say it was mediocre enough for you not to want to bother exploring it, instead.
I quite liked the enemy variety, how they were mostly tied to 3 feuding Gods, and defeating one would mean his rival's minions would move in to claim the territory. It wasn't a perfectly executed idea, but it certainly tried to make the game world more dynamic.

This isn't the first time I disagree with Jim. Whenever it comes to games that take any inspiration from the Soulsborne titles (like Darksiders III) Jim tends to get overly critical, imo.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
You could stop trying to win a discussion with "you didnt watch the video lol" if you want a serious argument. Do i need a timestamp recording of my own watching the video when it was posted plus a print of my youtube story to convince Nairume? do tell me, maybe i need to contact some lawyers too
You are still trying to dodge the discussion in weird ways.

You said nobody has ever explained why the game is insulting to children. Jim outlines this in their video very clearly. Either you didn't watch it or you did watch it and are just trying to ignore their argument.

But that's besides the point. Myself and others have explained the same thing in this very thread. It is an incredibly stripped down game that does so in the name of being accessible to children despite literally being a spinoff of a very complex game that children love.

To be clear though, I don't think the game should be on a list of 10 worst games of the year, but I don't disagree with their reasons for it being there.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
No, free hate due to it being a popular franchise I think (and also a microsoft studios one...)
It has nothing to do with that at all. If you watch the video or pay attention to the discussion in this thread, you'd see Jim's specific issue with it is that they found it to be incredibly insulting to the game's target audience for very legitimate reasons.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
You are still trying to dodge the discussion in weird ways.

You said nobody has ever explained why the game is insulting to children. Jim outlines this in their video very clearly. Either you didn't watch it or you did watch it and are just trying to ignore their argument.

But that's besides the point. Myself and others have explained the same thing in this very thread. It is an incredibly stripped down game that does so in the name of being accessible to children despite literally being a spinoff of a very complex game that children love.

To be clear though, I don't think the game should be on a list of 10 worst games of the year, but I don't disagree with their reasons for it being there.

I watched it. Jim said it and people in this thread agreed. Many disagreed. For some reason their opinion doesnt matter though. Its not a common sentiment that minecraft dungeons was insulting to kids before this video, and if it is, feel free to prove me wrong with evidence. It's a simple game. No one is arguing otherwise. It still got difficulty options that can turn it challenging if you wish so and several optional challenges that can be truly hard to figure out if people try to look for them like the hidden runes in every map. You're asking me a lot if i watched the video, so i ask you back, have you beaten the game?

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
typical gaming side you can tell which people actually watch the videos when they have no idea why cyberpunk or deadly premonition 2 was mentioned especially with the latter because Jim really like that one up until it actually came out.

but I swear half would trade in the lives of trans people if it meant keeping your pathetic hobby up. Frankly more games deserve this list....

I went older games and downloadable titles this year and I couldn't be happier for it

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Sure, but plenty of games release at full price with a 10 hour campaign and that's it. That's not inherently a problem if you look at the game as simply a single player mode with some optional content to play after you beat it. The issue is more in how it was marketed than the game itself.
People didn't buy it for the single player

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
"Video game discourse is well and truly broken"

Literally two weeks later:

"Here are the TOP 10 SHITTIEST GAMES!"
It's their work, I think they've already talked about how negative content gets more views. I've used to watch their videos a lot more but this aspect of their channel kinda soured me a little. They do a great job, regardless.

Regarding the list to each their own, of course, but Minecraft Dungeons really stands out like a sore thumb here.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it. Jim said it and people in this thread agreed. Many disagreed. For some reason their opinion doesnt matter though. Its not a common sentiment that minecraft dungeons was insulting to kids before this video, and if it is, feel free to prove me wrong with evidence. It's a simple game. No one is arguing otherwise.
The opinion of people disagreeing matters. What I'm pushing back against with you is that you were insistent that people haven't been making this argument, when they have. Read reviews. Read the threads about the game from when it launched. The sentiment was there.

[quote[It still got difficulty options that can turn it challenging if you wish so and several optional challenges that can be truly hard to figure out if people try to look for them like the hidden runes in every map. [/quote]
Focusing on the difficulty options are missing the point. It's not that the game is too easy. It's that the game is too shallow and lacking in any complexity when it could have had *some*.

You're asking me a lot if i watched the video, so i ask you back, have you beaten the game?
I have. I even played it on higher difficulty settings. It's a technically competent game that is entirely too stripped down for no good reason.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
People didn't buy it for the single player

Guess it depends on who you are. I certainly did. I had no interest in the game until I heard it had an excellent campaign and it turns out, it did. I enjoyed my time with it immensely. Plenty of others did the same from the threads around here. There's a perfectly good game there, if you engage with the game itself and not how they marketed it.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
The opinion of people disagreeing matters. What I'm pushing back against with you is that you were insistent that people haven't been making this argument, when they have. Read reviews. Read the threads about the game from when it launched. The sentiment was there.

It still got difficulty options that can turn it challenging if you wish so and several optional challenges that can be truly hard to figure out if people try to look for them like the hidden runes in every map.
Focusing on the difficulty options are missing the point. It's not that the game is too easy. It's that the game is too shallow and lacking in any complexity when it could have had *some*.

I have. I even played it on higher difficulty settings. It's a technically competent game that is entirely too stripped down for no good reason.

I was around the launch threads for it. I had a negative opinion of it even. But the common sentiment was that the game was too short and simple. I haven't seen any widespread argument that it was offensive to children. Again, feel free to prove me wrong. You seem to believe it was.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
God I was curious to see what they had against Minecraft Dungeons and omg I forgot how insufferable this person is. Also, if that's what they have against the game, they clearly didn't look too hard for crappy games this year. I find their content very toxic, shitting on a fun little game for kids because it doesn't have skill trees.

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Guess it depends on who you are. I certainly did. I had no interest in the game until I heard it had an excellent campaign and it turns out, it did. I enjoyed my time with it immensely. Plenty of others did the same from the threads around here. There's a perfectly good game there, if you engage with the game itself and not how they marketed it.
Ok but for a game like this the single player people are the minority. If it was just a 10 hour campaign and that's it I would never spend $60 on it.

Fact of the matter is the larger portion of the game, the portion meant to keep players engaged beyond the two day campaign is hot garbage.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
God I was curious to see what he had against Minecraft Dungeons and omg I forgot how insufferable the guy is. Also, if that's what he has against the game, he clearly didn't look too hard for crappy games this year. I find this guy's content very toxic, shitting on a fun little game for kids because it doesn't have skill trees.
Jim uses they/them pronouns.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
What are some of these takes about Jim all about? Jim's a warrior now?

It's a weird take to have when Jim does the callout on avengers for the exclusive spiderman so it would make more 'sense' for sony fanboys to be saying it. The least of the things that could be on jims mind when criticizing MCD was "its a microsoft game lmao"

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
Minecraft Dungeons doesn't need to be on this list. Lately Jim has been bugging me a lot, I unfollowed them because our opinions never match up and now they're just super irritating LOL

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Honestly Cyberpunk was the twist I wasn't expecting, speaking more broadly than this list. I'd assumed it would be a quality product, where highlighting the transphobic aspects would be a fight against the hype/praise to hold criticism against it. Instead it turned out to be a mediocre product that was broken on platforms and fundamentally under-developed in several aspects. Where those more personal criticisms ended up just being part of a log flume of deserved shit against it and CDPR.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll edit.
All good friend, thank you!

BigDaddyCool

Nov 29, 2020
ITT: Lots of people defending crap games

Saw someone say Hellpoint is a "strong" 6/10. That's 60%. How is that strong? Why should anyone waste their time on a 6/10 game when there are hundreds of great games to play that have come out in the past 20 years? Time is precious, and I personally can't understand intentionally wasting it on subpar experiences.

I just don't get it. Why go through all these hoops to defend below-average games? It's like spending a day listening to a shitty album when there are thousands of hours of great music out there that I haven't even tapped into. People need to stop selling themselves short.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
No and every time people say it is, its because its "shallow and baby first dungeon crawler"

which is exactly what the game wanted to be and sold itself as
Yep, it's a very strange pick when considering it's targeted at a young audience. My kids love it, partially because they are really into Minecraft, and partially because it's a much easier "first dungeon crawler" experience vs most others.

IMO, it really doesn't belong.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Most kids don't want Diablo. Most kids want Minecraft Dungeons. You don't go and overcomplicate a kids game. There is nothing wrong with Minecraft Dungeons. It being a dungeon crawler lite doesn't make it bad or "shitty." It achieved exactly what it was meant to be. A casual game aimed at kids but can be enjoyed by anyone. My friends and I played through it on co-op and we are all nearly 30. Plus it is a budget title(not that it matters since it was included in Gamepass)

A simple game does not = shitty. People oddly hating on the game is hating on it because it's not for them, not because the game is "shitty"
It also must be said that "kids" can be a fairly large range going between say 5 and 18 :P. Minecraft dungeons, IMO, is aimed at 10 and under audience, at which it succeeds (have 2 kids in that range and friends with a few other parents who are the same).

Kids love Minecraft for creativity, but they also like to mess around with a simple combat system like in Dungeons. I am not saying the game couldn't be better, but overall, it's pretty good and competent for what it sets out to be. There are other much worse games that could be included, Dungeons ain't it. Then again, it's opinions and all and Jim is certainly entitled to theirs. I still remember the stupidity about Jim's Zelda BotW review.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Even if people didnt like minecraft dungeons, I just can't see how it's somehow in the top 10 worst games of the year?

Like seriously?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Even if people didnt like minecraft dungeons, I just can't see how it's somehow in the top 10 worst games of the year?

Like seriously?
Yep, I see Jim's arguments and reasons for why it's not a great game, but it still doesn't make top 10 WORST games of the year. Yes, it could be better, but it's decent at what it does.

Also, LOL at folks saying it didn't majorly catch with kids. There are two games that really run with kids. One is Minecraft, Two is Roblox (in no particular order). Animal Crossing and Mario Kart might be two more. That's about it :). Anything else will get some attention at release and will drop for the above mentioned soon after. Mind you, I am saying in general, there are all kind of exceptions to the rule.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
They 100% gave up on that game mid-development which is why they quietly scaled it way back (while blaming us for not following their blog posts) and set it out to die.

It's really sad. They killed the original game and replaced it with a lesser version. And now don't even bother developing the game further, so leaving the community in the dark without any of the features that were in the game for the past 17 years.

Beary Jams

Nov 5, 2017
Portland, OR
Really enjoyed this a lot. Really need to start watching the Jimquistion more often.

I feel like a lot of y'all just can't let go of the fact that Jim has a different opinion than you do. They aren't the all mighty good of video games, they are one person with a following that has some opinions. They also make the point that shittiest game by their definition isn't necessarily most technically broken or worst gameplay or whatever but what they just feel like is shitty. Their arguments back up their points.

I get really tired of the whole "Well I feel this way so they're wrong" take. It's opinions. Jim is entitled to their opinions the same way you are to yours. Just feels like a whole lot of this thread has devolved down to this:

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

Like seriously?

Its not worst, it's shittiest. The 25min mark they reiterate that. If you love Minecraft I could easy see how Dungeons would end up on a shit list from a disappointment perspective.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
Just to be contrarian, I agree about Minecraft Dungeons. I understand it is for kids, but the combat feels bad. It is fine to streamline mechanics, but you can't make the base combat in a game with a lot of combat feel so lousy.

(Obligatory "in my opinion")

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft dungeons is an odd choice. Played it with friends, and though it's shallow compared to other games in the same genre it was no slouch. Difficulty could be pretty brutal if you bumped it all the way, and there's some neat builds you can do. Pretty much the perfect introduction to the genre for younger gamers.

It'd be like calling Super Mario Bros shit for not being Super Meat Boy.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I wished that he would have put Watch Dogs Legion instead of that shitty Tom Clancy mobile game to make his point about Ubisoft because it included all the stuff he mentioned as well as still being broken as fuck upon release. Otherwise, I love his end of year lists. Good on him for pointing out WWEs bullshit as well.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
It feels like he's going after Minecraft Dungeons not for what it is, but for what he expected it to be. It was never said that it would be a super deep game along the lines of Diablo or Torchlight, it was always going to be "baby's first dungeon crawler". It's a fun shortish 20 dollar game, and the target audience (children) seem to really enjoy it.

ergoakari

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Cyberpunk shouldn't be on that list. I'm enjoying it a lot on the Series S

I mean, it's been said a million times, but I'm enjoying it a lot as well. Problem is, I had to download mods in order to recover my game from an unrecoverable state _3_ times in the first 12 hours of play. This game is by _far_ the most broken AAA game I've ever played. Skyrim and Fallout 3 have nothing on this. Plot characters falling through floors, doors no longer opening, my character infinitely stuck in the "quickscan" Slow down mode, my character stuck underground, plot NPCs not accepting dialogue... I mean, this isn't just physics stuff.

If it had none of those issues, it wouldn't be on this list, but it would still be problematic because of the company that made it, but even with all of that aside, the games just broken.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I continue not to understand the appeal of shitting on people's hard work. This list represents a lot of bad corporate decisions, but probably even more hard work by regular people that simply didn't pan out.

Criticizing this stuff is necessary. Gleefully skewering it is just self-aggrandizing and mean.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I liked Minecraft Dungeons but it's their personal list, we don't need to agree with every item.

It's just weird they forgot Warcraft 3: Reforged.

Also, LOL at folks saying it didn't majorly catch with kids. There are two games that really run with kids. One is Minecraft, Two is Roblox (in no particular order). Animal Crossing and Mario Kart might be two more. That's about it :). Anything else will get some attention at release and will drop for the above mentioned soon after. Mind you, I am saying in general, there are all kind of exceptions to the rule.

Fortnite and Pokemon too

Last edited: