• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
Is the monetization on the Avengers game that bad?
Because from what I seen the game doesn't look that bad from gameplay perspective. It seems to have a repetitive loop, but most games in that genre have a repetitive loop. Destiny, Diablo 3, The Division...
no, it's not. game's main issue is that it's very repetitive and the loot is bad. it's just a bad gaas, worse than diablo for sure. haven't played the shooter ones

should have just released the campaign and done the service stuff later

given the scope and visibility of the IP, it is a pretty big fiasco though. i can think of shittier games but i can see it being one of the biggest failures of 2020

i liked the combat fwiw, will probably try again when the ps5 version drops and there is more content

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Number 4 isn't hard to understand if people actually listen to the video. It's insulting to kids (and adults) based on the source material. The fans of the source material are playing a creatively complex game, while this addendum material is brain dead. Minecraft deserves better.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Jim putting Avengers on there is so predictable. Avengers gets more shit than it deserves. It's a fun game.
Yep.

Single player was fun and while the multi was lacking variety I still enjoyed it enough to get the platinum trophy.

It was pretty buggy at launch but not that bad and mostly fixed the last time I played.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
no, it's not. game's main issue is that it's very repetitive and the loot is bad. it's just a bad gaas, worse than diablo for sure. haven't played the shooter ones

should have just released the campaign and done the service stuff later

given the scope and visibility of the IP, it is a pretty big fiasco though. i can think of shittier games but i can see it being one of the biggest failures of 2020

i liked the combat fwiw, will probably try again when the ps5 version drops and there is more content
Yeah, if they failed the loot than they really messed up lol
Which is weird since they have so much material to work with. Marvel is 80 years old

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Because from what I seen the game doesn't look that bad from gameplay perspective. It seems to have a repetitive loop, but most games in that genre have a repetitive loop. Destiny, Diablo 3, The Division...

If you are just there to play through the single player story stuff, Avengers is mostly fine, especially if you can get it for a budget price. If you are there for multiplayer fun, I don't think the game works well on that front.

It still has a lot of baffling design decisions and gameplay issues, but for me its a fun game to go back to when there's story content (like when Kate Bishop dropped) and ignore otherwise.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
seems like everyone is only talking about the problems of the last gen versions when talking about the flaws of CP 2077.

what about stuff like the atrocious NPC AI?
disappearing NPCs when you turn your back to them?
and on the other hand Police that spawn in your back, even when you are on a roof top?
lag of interaction with NPCs? NPCs literally pullig stuff out of their asses and other stuff?

I don't really care much about street NPC AI, I'm doing quests, and the NPC's walk around, I never really inspect them or worry about them.
I haven't had the disappearing NPC's when turning around like I've seen in some footage, and even if they did I don't really care about that either, I think sometimes they might change for me but they never fully disappear.
I don't do illegal stuff in the game unless I trigger them by accident, and again I don't really care about it, if I wanna do cop chases I'll play GTA
I have no lag interactions with NPC's and pulling stuff out their asses is what all NPC's do in every game?

To me these are not big issues at all, but that's just me. Would the game have been better without those things? Sure, but they're very minor compared to other issues. Like the save game and old consoles. And now that save games are fixed, PC is amazing to play it on.

I feel a lot of people that hate on the game haven't even played it honestly. (or they played it on old consoles) And seems Jim didn't play it either from reading this thread.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Number 4 isn't hard to understand if people actually listen to the video. It's insulting to kids (and adults) based on the source material. The fans of the source material are playing a creatively complex game, while this addendum material is brain dead. Minecraft deserves better.
Have you played Minecraft Dungeons yourself?

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
Wait be didn't even play it?
Yes, he says in the video he lost all interest in buying, playing, or critiquing Cyberpunk. I'm all for calling out CDPR's bullshit, but placing the game on this list feels disrespectful to the developers who had nothing to do with the shitty decisions made by upper management - especially when you haven't played the game yourself.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
and man, ubisoft can really fuck off into oblivion..

a company we should think about banning entirely on this site. like seriously, holy F..

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
seems like everyone is only talking about the problems of the last gen versions when talking about the flaws of CP 2077.

what about stuff like the atrocious NPC AI?
disappearing NPCs when you turn your back to them?
and on the other hand Police that spawn in your back, even when you are on a roof top?
lag of interaction with NPCs? NPCs literally pullig stuff out of their asses and other stuff?

Cyberpunk has way more problems than that extend past just the "last gen" versions of the game, as highlighted in this thread.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
minecraft dungeons seems like a weird one to pick on. it's dungeon crawler lite and isn't hiding that or attempting to be anything else.

This. I've seen it appear on several 2020 disappointment lists, and it confuses me. Like it's a Minecraft spinoff dungeon crawler for kids. It's pretty fun and entertaining at that. I don't understand why people are picking on it for being exactly as advertised.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017

I can see that how cdpr handled the last gen ports, the bugs, the ai problems.. are worth of being called one of the sh*tiest games. (And all the things that are problematic surrounding the game that affects the view of it: crunch, transphobia...)

But playing it on pc i can see how the game could be a game of the year or top ten of the year for a lot of people. Great story missions, lots of really well made sidequests, the city, the setting, the graphics...

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft Dungeons is a weird inclusion. I admittedly got bored of it but it's a decent dungeon crawler aimed at a younger crowd. Jim's reasoning that it's too simple didn't really indicate worst of the year material to me.

Good list otherwise though.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, he says in the video he lost all interest in buying, playing, or critiquing Cyberpunk. I'm all for calling out CDPR's bullshit, but placing the game on this list feels disrespectful to the developers who had nothing to do with the shitty decisions made by upper management - especially when you haven't played the game yourself.
Yeah thats fucking stupid. If you wanna put Cyberpunk under disappointment over al lthe news and shit, sure, but don't put it under "Shittiest games" without playing them.

May 19, 2020
I can see that how cdpr handled the last gen ports, the bugs, the ai problems.. are worth of being called one of the sh*tiest games. (And all the things that are problematic surrounding the game that affects the view of it: crunch, transphobia...)

But playing it on pc i can see how the game could be a game of the year or top ten of the year for a lot of people. Great story missions, lots of really well made sidequests, the city, the setting, the graphics...
the setting seems to be more evocative of a beautiful but empty feeling western open world than anything else. a big beautiful world doesn't count for much when what's inside it is lifeless and boring with NPCs/enemies that all behave the same way

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how they can call Cyberpunk shit while admitting to not playing the game.

I'd agree with it being on a top 10 disappointments list, but the game isn't shit.
Jim's rubric has been extremely clear since they've been doing these lists, and Cyberpunk 100% falls into that category. There was zero chance at all that it ever was going to avoid hitting this list.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
the setting seems to be more evocative of a beautiful but empty feeling western open world than anything else. a big beautiful world doesn't count for much when what's inside it is lifeless and boring with NPCs/enemies that all behave the same way

I won't disagree with you, CP2077 it's one of my biggest disappointments in gaming even if it's a good game overall.

May 19, 2020
This. I've seen it appear on several 2020 disappointment lists, and it confuses me. Like it's a Minecraft spinoff dungeon crawler for kids. It's pretty fun and entertaining at that. I don't understand why people are picking on it for being exactly as advertised.
warcraft 3 reforged could easily take minecraft dungeons spot and seems like a bizarre omission when jim's whole persona/schtick is the consumer advocacy stuff

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
he knows exactly what he's doing
his shtick isnt about facts, it's about making noise and creating bad feelings : )
It's ridiculous to boil down of the very few people in the industry willing to call out shitty practices on a weekly basis into "isn't about facts, it's about making noise and creating bad feelings". FOH with that.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dungeon crawler fans commenting on a Minecraft game: "Minecraft Dungeons is so shallow and easy!"

Me expecting to play a Minecraft game: "this is a cool game I can play with my kids"

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not saying he can't be negative, but its pretty lame to go "This is the worst game of 2020" without touching it. Shit wouldn't fly here.
Jim has been highly critical of CDPR's game since its release (you can check Jim's arguments in Jim's channel, bonus song included) so it would actually be strange if it did not made Jim's list.

edit: pronouns.

Last edited:

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
?
did he call CP 2077 the worst game of 2020?
Its literally in the title of the segment. Shittiest games of 2020....
He has been highly critical of CDPR's game since its release (you can check his arguments in his channel, bonus song included) so it would actually be strange if it did not made Jim's list.
Like I said, if this was disappointment of 2020 or worst practices of 2020 whatever, its fine. I just think its kinda dumb to rate games as "shittiest" of a year when you havent even touched them.

Someone shitting on a game and then going "No I havent played it." Would be rightly called out here.

But whatever, not gonna die on this hill, just made me roll my eyes somewhat.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

Just going to quote this

To add to this: Coming into a thread and trying to cape for a game that has issues with transphobia, racism and sexism, among other things, is quite a take, especially when its clear who hasn't watched the video.
It might be the best game of the world, with 0 bugs, excellent gameplay and superb graphics, but with this shit, this game doesn't belongs to any game of the year list. It needs to be criticized and derided forever. And don't forget the endless crunch and how they were marketing this game.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Like I said, if this was disappointment of 2020 or worst practices of 2020 whatever, its fine. I just think its kinda dumb to rate games as "shittiest" of a year when you havent even touched them.

Someone shitting on a game and then going "No I havent played it." Would be rightly called out here.

again, were does he call a game the worst of 2020??

and if you don't want to listen to what he has to say about CP 2077, then just go to anyone else. its a widely held opinion. which he sums up in his video.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

Have you ever considered your definition of shitty and what would make a shit list may not align with others on what makes a game shitty and their list?

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
warcraft 3 reforged could easily take minecraft dungeons spot and seems like a bizarre omission when jim's whole persona/schtick is the consumer advocacy stuff

I just think it's ridiculous for Minecraft Dungeons to appear on any list. It'd be like putting Forza on a "Shitty game" list just because it's a racing game and you hate racers. Jims always had some wild takes, but this is just ridiculous.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not saying he can't be negative, but its pretty lame to go "This is the worst game of 2020" without touching it. Shit wouldn't fly here.
Jim very literally clarifies that games on this list aren't the 'worst' games of the 2020 strictly in terms of game quality (although that is a factor), just the 'shittiest' in one way or the other - which includes games with bigoted content, misleading marketing, or made by abusive developers (of which CP2077 is guilty of all 3).

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Oh my god. I had to double check when the Avengers was released, cause I was sure it was around February sometime. Around the RE3 release.

It was August!

I feel so cold and tired.

Also: Jim's preferred pronouns are They/Them. Please be cool folks.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

It really isn't. I mean, ideally it shouldn't be there, but it's not that bad, you get all new heroes for free, the monetization is about different outfits for them. And they suck anyways so... lol had a lot of premium currency just there sitting.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone who's watched it fully describe Jim's reasoning for Hellpoint?

I'll paraphrase and say they thought it was a paint by numbers Souls experience with nothing new to add. Dropping enemies haphazardly around sparse barren levels with the usual tools to deal with them.

They spoke more positively about Mortal Shell and Surge 2 (specifically 2).

Edit: Fixed pronouns!

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I just think it's ridiculous for Minecraft Dungeons to appear on any list. It'd be like putting Forza on a "Shitty game" list just because it's a racing game and you hate racers. Jims always had some wild takes, but this is just ridiculous.
Minecraft Dungeons is pretty bad at what it does and hides behind a "it's for kids" excuse as if kids both don't deserve and are too dumb to understand better games.