• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
There's a pretty significant difference between a company doing this to get cheap art (which is always rightfully criticized) and a YouTube dude hosting a competition when it's laid out ahead of time that the prize is a small cash amount and being featured in a video. The impetus of the video was that fans were already doing this on the Elden Ring subreddit, so I don't see anything sinister by Vaati saying "if you send your boss ideas to me and I like them I'll send you some cash and put them in the competition vid."

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
The impetus of the video was that fans were already doing this on the Elden Ring subreddit
Not really, nobody was putting this much work into it.
Before the contest was announced, half the art from reddit was stolen from artstation without credit, the rest was mostly amateur work, many people were clearly learning digital art just so that they could contribute to the community but you wouldnt find anything on the level of what you can see in the top 100. As Raging Spaniard said earlier, some people submitted pieces that could be comissioned for over 2k dollars.

The idea of "they were already doing it anyways" is terrible. You wouldnt approach a senior artist and ask them to work for you on the basis that you'll pay them only if you like the ressults. you need to pay artists upfront.

Im not saying that there's no room for art contests. The problem here is that the host is clearly the one benefitting the most and is doing so through the work of 100+ artists that are putting a lot of effort into their work and might not even get the """exposure"".

I'll reffer to my post on the other thread:
it feels wrong in many ways for how cool of a showcase it is
I think there's a specific name for it too,its called "spec work". its basically whenever an artists creates something for a client with the possibility of getting no compensation, usually passed as some kind of "showcase of skills or proof of concept". Im guilty of working under these conditions and feel like its pretty common but its always with people I know and not huge celebs. This isnt good.

Some other thing that also feels way off is how this is already creating some kind of expectation for how the game will be when in reality we have no reason to believe It'll follow these guidelines (reminder that vaati is still set on ER taking a lot of inspo from norse myths).
What's more, I'd argue he's the most influential source of fromsoftware-related content outside of fromsoftware themselves. This isnt on the scale of a small reddit community creating fake lore, this is way bigger.
I really hope this doesnt put any kind of pressure on from. Its great that the community is so passionate given how little we know abt the title but I also hate how this one single person is shaping the expectations of many many fans and choosing what gets to be part of this imaginary game.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I guess what Im getting at is that this feels like spec work so Vaati can eventually use it for his own purposes (be it making a game or to present himself as a creative director type for a company) It may not be true but it certainly gives me that vibe and thats not a great feeling as theres a good chance this was done with all the right intentions.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Not really, nobody was putting this much work into it.
Before the contest was announced, half the art from reddit was stolen from artstation without credit, the rest was mostly amateur work, many people were clearly learning digital art just so that they could contribute to the community but you wouldnt find anything on the level of what you can see in the top 100. As Raging Spaniard said earlier, some people submitted pieces that could be comissioned for over 2k dollars.

The idea of "they were already doing it anyways" is terrible. You wouldnt approach a senior artist and ask them to work for you on the basis that you'll pay them only if you like the ressults. you need to pay artists upfront.

Im not saying that there's no room for art contests. The problem here is that the host is clearly the one benefitting the most and is doing so through the work of 100+ artists that are putting a lot of effort into their work and might not even get the """exposure"".

I'll reffer to my post on the other thread:
I don't know, to me there's still a huge difference between Ubisoft saying "create Watch Dogs assets for us and we'll toss you $50 if you're lucky" or whatever that stupid contest was, and this where the end result is solely a video announcing the winners of the contest and showing off their work. If Vaati were going to turn around and make an Elden Ring fan game from these and sell it for a profit, that would be scummy. But this feels fundamentally different to me.

I guess I'm just saying I don't have any issue with a pure art contest, and that's all this seems like to me. I don't know exactly where the line is between spec work and contests but I'm pretty comfortable calling this just a contest unless he ever tries to further monetize the entries.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
These artists also wrote lore and some even had gameplay designs too. The art alone is an insane amount of work, but designing a "boss" is even more work still.
Please From, release a new trailer already, this community is going completely insane.
Elden Ring is the Dark Soul of unreleased games.
I sure wasn't imagining a 4 armed monster sodomizing itself with tree branches.
lmfao @ all of these

All I want is a boss called "The Winds of Winter"
Oh gods...

*sigh* ok, I'll bite. What's wrong with Vaati?
sorry, link? Dropping this like a dead fish doesnt help
Google Vaati plagiarism
Or just read this
A dude who has been known to make a profit off the work of others, decided to run this "fake lore contest"... I mean. Yeah.