• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not only did this not go streaming a year or two ago because of Cruise, but my understanding is it won't go streaming period until Cruise says so. No 45/60/90 day window here. Its the Cruise window, and it only opens when Tom says so!

Realistically it'll probably go streaming once it starts having $10M or so total weekends. Which may be a while lol

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I have to wonder - what is the reason for this? The first one wasn't a major blockbuster and Cruise's other films haven't a success on this level. What is it about this movie that is resonating so much with the public?

The first one made $357M in 1986 ($952M in 2022 dollars), it was a major blockbuster.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not only did this not go streaming a year or two ago because of Cruise, but my understanding is it won't go streaming period until Cruise says so. No 45/60/90 day window here. Its the Cruise window, and it only opens when Tom says so!

Realistically it'll probably go streaming once it starts having $10M or so total weekends. Which may be a while lol
That's bs all movies should go steaming in 45 days at maximum.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Yeah but, can people name characters in the movie that isn't their call sign?

That is what's real important not the box office.

OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I have to wonder - what is the reason for this? The first one wasn't a major blockbuster and Cruise's other films haven't a success on this level. What is it about this movie that is resonating so much with the public?

They captured lightning in a bottle here. Basically, they delivered a legacy sequel that:
- is a fucking great movie full stop
- features some never before seen aerial stunts and work
- they previewed it a ton early because they knew it was so damn good so before any single one of us could even see it, it already had major buzz and a RT of over 95%
- they had an absolutely letter perfect release window
- the movie has crazy good word of mouth, critical and casual rave reviews, an A+ cinemascore, and people are seeing it several times (myself included!)
- and here's the big one: this was the first movie to successfully get boomers back to theaters en masse, something that hasn't happened since 2019

A perfect storm.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
That's certainly big money but it still doesn't explain how it's doing so well now to me.

Really good word of mouth.
Nostalgia that captures that 40+ audience in ways that other movies don't
Coming out in a period where people are starting to feel comfortable going to the movies again after a 2 or so year absence.
Im not gonna sit here and claim "super hero fatigue" is a thing, but I think a movie that isn't linked to a comic book character or extended universe or where you have to watch this movie first or where you feel like you are being set up to subscribe to this or that streaming service to continue the story is re-freshing in 2022 for a lot of people.

Just lightning in a bottle in a lot of ways creating a perfect box office storm.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Most fun I've had in a theater in a while. Cinema is in a pretty dire place right now but it's good to know that people are showing up for the best thing to come out this year.

OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it does kind of feel for the first time since 2019 that movies are kinda....back? Yeah, you had NWH but it basically sucked the air out of the room and was the only thing people saw. 2022 so far has had a fair number of movies do good, and then a weekend like this with a nice spread between movies. Encouraging stuff.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Nostalgia is only able to do so much and I'm thinking it's very little to start. If the movie was Jurassic Dominion quality, it's box office numbers absolutely crash.

OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely WILD to me that there is an actual discussion to be had now about the possibility of TGM passing TLJ and The Avenger on the all time domestic chart.

OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also Cruise got paid $12.5M + 10% of first dollar gross on this.....meaning he's already made somewhere in the neighborhood of $60M+ and counting on TGM.

Oct 27, 2017
because the theater experience is not worth it anymore for the high prices and mediocre experiencesand all movies should be available to stream ideally day and date but even 45 days.
You mean the theatre experience is not worth it for you. Clearly not everyone feels that way. Non-superhero blockbusters need a theatrical window to have a chance in this industry. Day and date is not ideal and would severely limit its potential to gain an audience and its money back. 45 days is reasonable under most circumstances. However, if a film is still legging it out strong past the 45 days, it shouldn't be forced to cut off its own legs.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
because the theater experience is not worth it anymore for the high prices and mediocre experiencesand all movies should be available to stream ideally day and date but even 45 days.

All you're saying is "because I want it". The alternative to Top Gun's extended theatrical run is to leave hundreds of millions of dollars on the table.

Oct 28, 2017

Top Gun was the biggest movie of 1986. It was the movie that made Cruise a star and a household name. It also has one of the best selling soundtracks of all time back in an era when movie soundtracks and album sales were a big part of pop culture.

It also spawned several phrases that resonated and were reused in pop culture for decades. Lines such as "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you" when talking about classified or secret information. "I feel the need, the need, for speed" is also a phrase that took on a life of it's own after it was first quoted in that movie. Other phrases as well.

This movie resonated during its time period. It didn't Star Wars resonate but make no mistake this was a big movie for its time period.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

It's certainly worth it for me. I'd rather leave the house for a few hours for a superior experience. Dunno?

Velgo

Dec 9, 2021
Top Gun was the biggest movie of 1986. It was the movie that made Cruise a star and a household name. It also has one of the best selling soundtracks of all time back in an era when movie soundtracks and album sales were a big part of pop culture.

It also spawned several phrases that resonated and were reused in pop culture for decades. Lines such as "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you" when talking about classified or secret information. "I feel the need, the need, for speed" is also a phrase that took on a life of it's own after it was first quoted in that movie. Other phrases as well.

This movie resonated during its time period. It didn't Star Wars resonate but make no mistake this was a big movie for its time period.
Thanks to you and everyone else who replied for the additional cultural context. Makes a lot more sense now! Seems like the perfect storm for something like this to happen

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

Where did this fairly common belief that the first Top Gun wasn't a massive hit come from? It was the biggest thing in movies in 1986. That entire summer was nothing but Top Gun quotes and the soundtrack blasting from every party and beach. It contributed at least five go-to quote lines to the permanent pop culture landscape. It was a major a blockbuster as major blockbusters got then.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): drive-by posting, inflammatory commentary, prior bans for inflammatory commentary
Good for the military complex fans who drink propaganda like a baby bottle

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Where did this fairly common belief that the first Top Gun wasn't a massive hit come from? It was the biggest thing in movies in 1986. That entire summer was nothing but Top Gun quotes and the soundtrack blasting from every party and beach. It contributed at least five go-to quote lines to the permanent pop culture landscape. It was a major a blockbuster as major blockbusters got then.

And spawned a bunch of copy cats. Iron Eagle series. šŸ˜†

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Saw it again today and was insane how busy it still was a month after release. All sorts of demos too - saw a ton of teenage girls which was quite surprising lol.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Crossing $1 billion without China is crazy. Avengers Endgame for reference did $629 million in China alone.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Something to remember for TG:M is the OG was the highest grossing film for the year by far, but was only number one for three weeks. The three weeks were 1, 4, and 14. It kept chugging all summer long while films like Aliens, Stand By Me, and Karate Kid II came out. TG:M is likely to keep chugging all summer long at the rate its going. Minions followed by Thor is the last of the blockbusters for the summer. After that, its Nope, Bullet Train, and Super Pets. The theaters are going to be slow from mid July to beginning of October.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Something to remember for TG:M is the OG was the highest grossing film for the year by far, but was only number one for three weeks. The three weeks were 1, 4, and 14. It kept chugging all summer long while films like Aliens, Stand By Me, and Karate Kid II came out. TG:M is likely to keep chugging all summer long at the rate its going. Minions followed by Thor is the last of the blockbusters for the summer. After that, its Nope, Bullet Train, and Super Pets. The theaters are going to be slow from mid July to beginning of October.

And The Fly. 86 was a hot year. Latter on that year Fox did a double feature with The Fly and Aliens. It was amazing.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the theatre experience is not worth it for you. Clearly not everyone feels that way. Non-superhero blockbusters need a theatrical window to have a chance in this industry. Day and date is not ideal and would severely limit its potential to gain an audience and its money back. 45 days is reasonable under most circumstances. However, if a film is still legging it out strong past the 45 days, it shouldn't be forced to cut off its own legs.
theaters are not worth it considering to see this I paid double as much as I would for a copy and for an experience that's just not worth going to theaters anymore. So yes every movie should be 45 days at maximum

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
theaters are not worth it considering to see this I paid double as much as I would for a copy. So yes every movie should be 45 days at maximum

Completely disagree on a hard line. Some movies are made specifically for the theaters and can't be replicated at home by most people. TGM being one of those movies. As for the price? A movie is still one of the cheapest forms of entertainment.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Also Cruise got paid $12.5M + 10% of first dollar gross on this.....meaning he's already made somewhere in the neighborhood of $60M+ and counting on TGM.
dance-tropic-thunder.gif

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
And spawned a bunch of copy cats. Iron Eagle series. šŸ˜†

Believe it or not, Iron Eagle was shot BEFORE Top Gun. It was shelved, but after Top Gun's success was finally released and did well enough to get a sequel that was MUCH more like Top Gun (Iron Eagle 1 is more a teen hijinks movie that happens to involve F-16s) and in fact is based on the same strike mission that Top Gun Maverick takes inspiration from.

Also Iron Eagle 2's director of aerial photography was one David Nowell, who went on to be the director of aerial photography for dozens of other high profile movies, including...Top Gun Maverick.