• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The Top Gun Anthem might be my favorite movie composition, ever.

I just wish that there was a great synthwave version of it (maybe I just haven't discovered it).

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still not sure that "Top Gun, but from the perspective of Tom Skerrit" is the best plot to hang a bunch of cool jet footage on, but hey, it's not like the original is remembered for its amazing plot and dialog, and it looks like the cool jet footage front is covered pretty damn well.

p.s.
Have they announced who are the bad guys in this film?
I hope it's the mighty Afghani air-force.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I'm still not sure that "Top Gun, but from the perspective of Tom Skerrit" is the best plot to hang a bunch of cool jet footage on, but hey, it's not like the original is remembered for its amazing plot and dialog, and it looks like the cool jet footage front is covered pretty damn well.

p.s.

Hes in a Hypersonic plane @ the end of the trailer...

Maybe, Space Nazis? Or whatever the bad guys are in L.Ron's sci fi? Might just be a bombing run that has to be done Flight of the Intruder style?

Has to blow X up with cover from Y, and die at the end flying far too fast to take out the uh... UKRANIAN anti-matter bomb destined for middle america??

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hes in a Hypersonic plane @ the end of the trailer...

Maybe, Space Nazis? Or whatever the bad guys are in L.Ron's sci fi? Might just be a bombing run that has to be done Flight of the Intruder style?

Has to blow X up with cover from Y, and die at the end flying far too fast to take out the uh... dark matter bomb?
Top Gun is a Space Force recruitment propaganda is the only take I will now have about this movie.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

p.s.
My money is on north koreans who somehow have really modern jets

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Mummy says "Hello"

The thing about the mummy is that it was a flawed plan to try to kick off an entire universe in a single movie and the main film suffers from all the shoehorning. If you ignore that, it's actually not a bad movie with some fun set pieces and classic Cruise running from shit. I know the audioless version leaked and it was silly, but the actual final footage of the plane crash was really cool.

SkeletalHandsomeGreatwhiteshark-size_restricted.gif

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My money is on north koreans who somehow have really modern jets
My realism bar for this movie is that unlike the first one, this time they ask someone if MiGs number their airplanes with even or odd numbers. Make it a trainer jet again if you must, but ffs, don't call it 28.

I am gonna die alone on that pedantic, stupid little hill.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just glad the director made an effort to make it look like a Tony Scott film. That was step 1 to getting this right.

Ashane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
My realism bar for this movie is that unlike the first one, this time they ask someone if MiGs number their airplanes with even or odd numbers. Make it a trainer jet again if you must, but ffs, don't call it 28.

I am gonna die alone on that pedantic, stupid little hill.

I'm on that hill with you tbh. It was the most jarring thing from someone who is a aircraft fan.

Other then that however, totally in. Sign me right the fuck up.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This looks way too good. What's the catch?
Well, considering the amount of resources the Navy put into this film, I would imagine it will make the Transformers franchise seem like an antiwar-and-fuck-the-troops series.
Though personally, the only parts of the script I care about are the [jets dogfighting] stage directions.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Well, considering the amount of resources the Navy put into this film, I would imagine it will make the Transformers franchise seem like an antiwar-and-fuck-the-troops series.
Though personally, the only parts of the script I care about are the [jets dogfighting] stage directions.

Meh, all US warfare movies will suck the army's dick. As long as it's not too on the nose, I'll be ok with it.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
the crazy thing going into any cruise movie is knowing he probably did almost every damn stunt they show. Dude is a freak

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how they pull off the move shown at the 50 second mark. Looked real, but wow, that looks dangerous.

Feb 21, 2019
Sign me up! I don't know or care whether its good or not.

(The first one isn't exactly Shakespeare either).

Some bar singing, some fast planes, some ignoring orders, and one fly by and Im a happy camper.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Looks good? All I can say really.

(Exaggerated stick action brought to you by Fast n Furious (TM))

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Meh, all US warfare movies will suck the army's dick. As long as it's not too on the nose, I'll be ok with it.
I don't even mind it all the much even when it super on the nose, like, I would come to the thread a bitch about that, but unless it's stuff like Zero Dark Thirty where the it's the entire point of the film, it's not something that make me not enjoy it.

Me, on the regular:
p2GBPVk.jpg

Me, after seeing that ultra realistic and totally how modern dogfight play out "I'll pull the brakes and he'll fly right by" manouver:
NU6MaWC.jpg

And I am only kinda joking.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what do we think the story is?

maverick is a top secret test pilot in that aircraft at the end and he's showing off to Ed Harris who has come to recruit him to teach at Top Gun? Then he goes and meets the dudes who said it's orders and the flight school stuff happens then a final tense enemy engagement?

bonus content, Maverick may fight in the finale battle alongside the newly graduated pilots.

bonus: he's enlisted to help from secret test pilot by Ed Harris to train Top Gun after a pilot is lost through an enemy engagement (dog fighting) enemy with moves they've never seen before so to combat this draft in Maverick to train the pilots, he also fights alongside them again in the finale with mustang into the sunset ending.

film ends with him back on his ranch taking off in his mustang and pulling fancy moves off into the

Last edited:

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

maverick is a top secret test pilot in that aircraft at the end and he's showing off to Ed Harris who has come to recruit him to teach at Top Gun? Then he goes and meets the dudes who said it's orders and the flight school stuff happens then a final tense enemy engagement?
I suspect the future jet will be at the start as well. No way the movie climax doesn't involve real jets doing real jets things.
Also, in the trailer can see an engine stall, a bar scene, a beach volleyball scene etc., so I'm guessing it will be mostly repeating the same beats as the first one, though obviously in this one, the old instructor will get to fly the jets and kill the bad dudes at the end.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Also, Ill take it Miles is playing the son of Goose because that was what I yelled when he appeared.

It's young Anthony Edwards

EL6eoY1XUAEdcej

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017

bonus content, Maverick may fight in the finale battle alongside the newly graduated pilots.

bonus: he's enlisted to help from secret test pilot by Ed Harris to train Top Gun after a pilot is lost through an enemy engagement (dog fighting) enemy with moves they've never seen before so to combat this draft in Maverick to train the pilots, he also fights alongside them again in the finale with mustang into the sunset ending.

film ends with him back on his ranch taking off in his mustang and pulling fancy moves off into the

What point do you think we'll see the VF-1 Valkyrie?

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
Me, after seeing that ultra realistic and totally how modern dogfight play out "I'll pull the brakes and he'll fly right by" manouver:
NU6MaWC.jpg

And I am only kinda joking.
FWIW, that maneuver may have been inspired by a real-life Vietnam war dogfight.

Duke Cunningham's dogfight with MiGs over North Vietnam

For the third time the two fighters met head-on, and out of this engagement Cunningham drew his primary dictum of fighter tactics: cheat. He let the MiG start to pull into the vertical again, but instead of climbing with him, Cunningham threw out his speed brakes, dropped his flaps, and went to full idle on the throttle. The MiG shot up, and Cunningham pulled up right behind him, adjusting the stick and throttle with feather precision as the Phantom inched toward a stall. He pushed into afterburner and as both planes tottered vertically, Colonel Tomb realized his predicament and began his attempts to roll quickly out of the climb. But the MiG stalled, its nose fell, and after pitching over, it began to run. Cunningham rolled out behind, and as they both headed straight down he squeezed off a Sidewinder that zipped directly up Tomb's tailpipe. The plane dove into the ground and exploded.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I want to see this, but I always have a tough time paying to see a Tom Cruise movie knowing he's such a freaky Scientologist. On top of that, there's the whole thing Tencent Pictures thing with them removing the flags for Japan and Taiwan.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
definitely getting TFA rehash vibes from the trailer. definitely watching regardless. looks fucking amazing.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's something about watching fighter jets perform aerial maneuvers to a film score that just gives me chills.

I really don't have THAT much interest in this film. But.... I'll probably still go see it.

I mean.... it has cool planes in it! Who doesn't like watching planes fly around???

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I just hope this movie doesn't take itself TOO seriously. Loved that there weren't insanely high stakes in the first one, and would prefer that this one kept it close to that as well.