• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Well that number one is definitely right.

Would've had Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed on there though. Maybe not a straight replacement for MK8, but definitely higher than it.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great list, can't complain at number 1, FH3 is slightly better because of the non cosmetic wheel spins, but 4 is a great game.

deadasdisco

Jun 10, 2018
No bias but if Rocket League is on there then surely GTAV should of been. I enjoyed the driving personally for what it was.

Also Wreckfest and BeamNG!

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
No Motorstorm Apocalypse? That's a bad oversight. Drop something like The Crew to make room for it.

Edit: No other Motorstorm mentions in the thread? That's shameful =(

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't put Forza Horizon 4 above GT Sport myself but that's not a Top 3 worth complaining about at all.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The best list I've seen so far, well at least a worthy winner! Highest rated racing game for console and PC in two generations.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
There isn't rubber banding in FH4 except the showcase events (there are like 5 in the whole game) where it is needed for them to work.

Oh really, that's fantastic then thank you.

Horizon 4 has the best tracks and variety in the series.

Lots of verticality with hill climbs and descents, good mix of sweeping country A-roads and tight city based tracks, some fantastic rally routes etc.

Also, add in seasons and you have a snow variant for every single track.

It might not be the most visually exciting* but in terms of road and track design it has by far the best world in the series.

* Even so it's absolutely gorgeous. Hurtling down a coastal road with the sun setting and Bamburgh castle lit up in the distance is one of the best vistas I've seen in gaming.

Also, as others have said, there is no rubber banding in 99% of Horizon's races. The 1% where there is are showcase events which aren't really races.

I really want to buy it, FH4 ultimate is on sale for £40 (though I had to go through a different link from google to get the ultimate bundle to include the lego dlc) but every video I've loaded up so far ... the environments look so boring. Just like English country side.

I want glorious arcade sunsets, highways and tall trees on both sides, sea in the background or underneath you ...I don't see any of that. I feel like I will be dissappointed. It looks graphically good but dull.
I was ready to buy it after reading your comment but just browsing youtube video after video after video hoping to see something but I see nothing that grabs me.

Like, what is this?

I don't even want to go outside when it looks like that here.

Even Forza Horizon 1 looks like it has a cooler environment.

Am I wrong? Do I need to play it? I think it might just be aiming too much for realism and not fantasy settings like I want. I think I'd rather play a smaller arcade title.

Last edited:

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017

I really want to buy it, FH4 ultimate is on sale for £40 (though I had to go through a different link from google to get the ultimate bundle to include the lego dlc) but every video I've loaded up so far ... the environments look so boring. Just like English country side.

I want glorious arcade sunsets, highways and tall trees on both sides, sea in the background or underneath you ...I don't see any of that. I feel like I will be dissappointed. It looks graphically good but dull.
I was ready to buy it after reading your comment but just browsing youtube video after video after video hoping to see something but I see nothing that grabs me.

Like, what is this?

Am I wrong? Do I need to play it? I think it might just be aiming too much for realism and not fantasy settings like I want. I think I'd rather play a smaller arcade title.

You are correct it is very boring. The progression is bad and there is zero consequence to anything you do. Come in first or last it doesn't matter you still get showered with rewards. If you want to dive around a sandbox, Horizon 3 is better anyway. List makes more sense if re titled to "20 most popular of the decade"

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree GT Sport is the best racing sim of the decade. I would put Ridge Racer Unbounded on there as well.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
The driving game I've probably enjoyed the most over the past 10 years is Forza Horizon 2 followed by GTSport.

So many others though. Currently Wreckfest is my favourite.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Yeah I don't mean to sound like I'm flaming but If you're not playing forza horizon as a racing fan, you are absolutely wasting your time. Get a pc Xbox all digital or xcloud or something

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
FH4 is one of my favorite games of the generation. I tend to come back to it once in a while.

I'm not that big on racing. I just like the driving aspects. I hope they add a rally expansion to it tho.

Gulduur

Oct 28, 2017
Was about to ask where the hell is PGR4 but went to check when it came out first...

Obligatory I'm getting old.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

You're asking if Forza Horizon 4 is purely rain and dirty and mountains the whole time? Of course not.

Lots of different time, weather, and locations.

If you want a super bright sunset experience the whole time, naw that's not gonna happen. If you think its dark and rainy and the same location throughout the game, its not like that either.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Top 3, Driveclub, Rocket League and Driver SF made the list
giphy.gif

jem

Oct 25, 2017

Like, what is this?

I mean it's set in the UK so obviously a fair amount of it will look like the English (well mostly Scottish) countryside.

That said the UK is beautiful so I don't think this is at all a problem. You've got sandswept coastal roads with castles in the background, sweeping mountain valley roads with the railway bridge from Harry Potter, twisty roads based in the lake District. The game is gorgeous.

If you're not sure why don't you try it with Gamepass?

You are correct it is very boring. The progression is bad and there is zero consequence to anything you do. Come in first or last it doesn't matter you still get showered with rewards. If you want to dive around a sandbox, Horizon 3 is better anyway. List makes more sense if re titled to "20 most popular of the decade"
Why is that a problem?

Isn't winning satisfying enough in and of itself?

Why do you need to know that you'd get less fake money had you placed worse?

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
You're asking if Forza Horizon 4 is purely rain and dirty and mountains the whole time? Of course not.

Lots of different time, weather, and locations.

If you want a super bright sunset experience the whole time, naw that's not gonna happen. If you think its dark and rainy and the same location throughout the game, its not like that either.

I mean it's set in the UK so obviously a fair amount of it will look like the English (well mostly Scottish) countryside.

That said the UK is beautiful so I don't think this is at all a problem. You've got sandswept coastal roads with castles in the background, sweeping mountain valley roads with the railway bridge from Harry Potter, twisty roads based in the lake District. The game is gorgeous.

If you're not sure why don't you try it with Gamepass?

Why is that a problem?

Isn't winning satisfying enough in and of itself?

Why do you need to know that you'd get less fake money had you placed worse?

Alright, I'll grab it, thanks. I think I needed a push. I should probably try it out on gamepass but it's a big game to download twice, don't have my super fast internet for a few more weeks and the sale ends soon. I think I would have preferred Australia to UK for the sunny visuals but the UK will have to do.

It wouldn't make sense to pick up FH3 over 4, right?

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Top 3 are interchangeable depending on your preference, but very much deserved. Driver SF and Driveclub are way way too low.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
No Sega or Namco racers is kinda sad. How the mighty have fallen.

At least Nintendo still showed up.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'll grab it, thanks. I think I needed a push. I should probably try it out on gamepass but it's a big game to download twice, don't have my super fast internet for a few more weeks and the sale ends soon. I think I would have preferred Australia to UK for the sunny visuals but the UK will have to do.

It wouldn't make sense to pick up FH3 over 4, right?

Theres folks that prefer FH3 over FH4. I think it just depends on you. I will say the Hot Wheels expansion for FH3 was amazing.