• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

20 -Split Second: Velocity
19 - RaceRoom: Racing Experience
18 - Driver: San Francisco
17 - Euro Truck Simulator 2
16 - Grid (2019)
15 - Mudrunner
14 - The Crew
13 - rFactor 2
12 - Driveclub
11 - Project Cars 2
10 - Forza Motorsport 7
9 - Blur
8 - Rocket League
7 - Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
6 - F1 2019
5 - Dirt Rally 2.0
4 - Assetto Corsa
3 - GT Sport
2 - Mario Kart 8
1 - Forza Horizon 4

Kinda weird not to see FH3 in the top 20. But i guess they maybe only wanted to do one of each franchise i guess.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The entire Horizon series should be on this list.

At least they got number 1 right though.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Even Driver: San Francisco snuck in there. That game is absolutely bonkers but tremendous fun.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
No Sonic All-Stars, list fail.

Having said that, this list just makes me miss the old days of racing games a la Beetle Adventure Racing.

GoxRx

Oct 27, 2017
Forza Horizon <3

It's nice to see Blur on the list too. That game was awesome.

RIP Bizarre Creations.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No Forza Horizon 3 is a joke, the game is leagues better than 4, even the first game is. Both very deserving of a place on this list.

The Crew 2 is also far superior than the first game in pretty much every way, that should be there instead.
...Yeah, Forza MOTORSPORT 4. On the Xbox 360.

Not Forza HORIZON 4.
Horizon 4 has some Top Gear content too.

Oct 27, 2017
Good list. The Horizon games leave me a little cold but can understand why they're so popular.

I definitely think there's a case for Dirty Rally - either of them - being number one though. In terms of pure exhilaration I don't think there's anything quite like those games. "Dark Souls of Racing" indeed.

Also, this seems as good a chance as any to call out Sony for their bullshit mistreatment of Motorstorm. An up-rezzed port of Pacific Rift could and should have made this top 10, at least.

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
The only Need for Speed game they listed is nearly a decade old. Just shows how awful the series has been since EA gutted Criterion.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Does Horizon 4 have cool tracks?

I keep thinking of picking it up but I remember 2 things:

1 - About what I heard of the rubber banding where you just scrape by at the end every time.
2 - The tracks, I look at videos of the older Horizon games and their tracks look more exotic and interesting, and from what I've seen of this it's more....modern open world.

About the list, trackmania and redout feel missing. Also if rocket league is there, Blaze Rush could be too. Or a Trials game. Or GTAV.... Pako 2, etc.

I notice they mention the new Project Cars (2) but not the new Assetto Corsa, though I've heard good things about the newer AC.

IMO Sonic Racing Transformed is better than MK8 overall. Otherwise a pretty good list, gave them a click.

And a Blur sequel would have topped the list.

The only Need for Speed game they listed is nearly a decade old. Just shows how awful the series has been since EA gutted Criterion.

Yep, real shame. Hot Pursuit is the only one I keep installed. Don't really want to risk a purchase on Heat though it does look alright. But I sort of can't be bothered with another open world racing game. Maybe I should give it a shot but I probably won't.

I'm surprised that Wreckfest isn't on it because that game is a gem.

I feel like Wreckfest barely has any interesting tracks.They got the gameplay right and over the next few years hardly added anything. I should fire it up again just to make sure.

Also, I still need to load up Grip, which I grabbed in the winter sale.

Last edited:

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
Yep, real shame. Hot Pursuit is the only one I keep installed. Don't really want to risk a purchase on Heat though it does look alright. But I sort of can't be bothered with another open world racing game. Maybe I should give it a shot but I probably won't.

Try it over EA Acess. But yeah, don't buy it. I'd say it's the best they released recently but... that's not saying much haha

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Does Horizon 4 have cool tracks?

I keep thinking of picking it up but I remember 2 things:

1 - About what I heard of the rubber banding where you just scrape by at the end every time.
2 - The tracks, I look at videos of the older Horizon games and their tracks look more exotic and interesting, and from what I've seen of this it's more....modern open world.
Horizon 4 has the best tracks and variety in the series.

Lots of verticality with hill climbs and descents, good mix of sweeping country A-roads and tight city based tracks, some fantastic rally routes etc.

Also, add in seasons and you have a snow variant for every single track.

It might not be the most visually exciting* but in terms of road and track design it has by far the best world in the series.

* Even so it's absolutely gorgeous. Hurtling down a coastal road with the sun setting and Bamburgh castle lit up in the distance is one of the best vistas I've seen in gaming.

Also, as others have said, there is no rubber banding in 99% of Horizon's races. The 1% where there is are showcase events which aren't really races.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Bllur and Split/Second getting some love fills me with joy. Some of the most fun I've had in racing games.

More arcadey racers please.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Horizon 4 is the goat racing game. Its only behind the burnout series as my most favourite.

Split/Second, Blur, and most importantly, Driver San Francisco made it, all three great games.

The Crew 1 all patched up is surprisingly good, especially with all the dlc. Its better than the sequel.

Only game missing is Forza Horizon 1 and 3, and Sonic Transformed.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Mine is Forza 7.

Not a fan of the Horizon games.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed is better than Mario Kart 8. MK8 won the popularity award I guess.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Great to see Dirt Rally 2.0 so high. Definitely one of the best driving games this gen. One of my favourite games of this year.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
i would literally put all 4 Horizon games on this list , probably all even in the top 10 lol

Oct 27, 2017
Glad Driver San Francisco got a mention.
Decent list with some cool mentions. The Crew making it is a bit weird... but whatever.

Forza Horizon 4 is just great. I've put 50 hours into it without really realising.
Mario Kart 8 deserves every bit of attention it gets. Loved it on Wii U and I've put a ridiculous amount of time into the Switch version, too.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It's also from a dev located in UK. UK! What a coincidence.
Edit: now, let's not get too crazy here but the game's setting is also in UK? Are you kidding me? Holy moly, there definitely is something up!

Horizon 4 doesn't have TG content, Motorsport 4 does.

edit: nvm, both games do now apparently