• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is Garena Free Fire? Am I out of touch or are the children wrong?
had the exact same reaction. apparently it's a battle royale game for mobile.
apps.apple.com

‎Free Fire: The Chaos

‎[New Event - The Chaos] With the new event comes an exciting mechanism where players can vote for bizarre incidents to happen in the matches. Anything is possible - out-of-control airplane routes, genetically modified mushrooms, unusual Airdrop mechanisms... Seriously, anything! [NexTerra 2.0]...

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard of garena somehow, and I figured at the time it was probably some big thing I was clueless about but...I didn't realise how big.

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
I guess this will be one of those threads where people don't realise that mobile games make up about 50% of the games industry by revenue.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
For those asking what Freefire is. It seems like a more crazy PUBG mobile.

From wiki:

Garena Free Fire (also known as Free Fire Battlegrounds or Free Fire) is a battle royale game, developed by 111 Dots Studio[SUP][2][/SUP] and published by Garena for Android and iOS.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP] It became the most downloaded mobile game globally in 2019.[SUP][5][/SUP] Due to its popularity, the game received the award for the "Best Popular Vote Game" by the Google Play Store in 2019.[SUP][6][/SUP] As of May 2020, Free Fire has set a record with over 80 million daily active users globally.[SUP][7][/SUP] As of November 2019, Free Fire has grossed over $1 billion worldwide.[SUP][8][/SUP]

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, Minecraft increased by 100B, dear god. Lol at assuming few million views on trailers means anything though. I know this is cumulative, but it's far more valuable then one off video metrics, certainly can see broadly where interest is for kids.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much doubled for every game but fortnite. Wonder if that's just general growth or a big push caused by the pandemic.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft grew substantially more in one year than the entire total viewership of the next game. Wow

Jan 4, 2018
The year's statistics also reveal the boom in gaming overseas. That's particularly so with mobile titles that are huge in parts of the world where PC and console market penetration is relatively low. Mobile titles make up more than half the global game revenues of around $150 billion, according to various analyst estimates.

The growth of mobile – particularly in markets where console and PC penetration is much lower – should only continue with increased access to 5G wireless networks, increasingly powerful and large mobile devices, and a broader range of engaging titles in more genres beyond the classic Match 3 game mechanics of older generations of devices, Wyatt said.

www.forbes.com

YouTube Game Watch Time Doubles In 2020 To 100 Billion Hours; Minecraft Still Rules The Views

View times for game-related videos on YouTube doubled in just two years, to more than 100 billion hours watched, the company said. Microsoft-owned Minecraft continued to lead the way, but international gamers are getting bigger and bigger audiences, and live streaming matters more and more.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oke i understand people maybe not knowing Free Fire. But Roblox.
AllKindAxolotl-size_restricted.gif

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i'd thought Among Us would have made it, but I guess it did show up a little late.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I know I've watched exponentially more Minecraft videos this year than last on account of Hololive, so there's that.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I never in a million years would've predicted that Minecraft would keep being so successful at this point in time. Like there have been hundreds of other games trying to topple it and none has managed, it's crazy

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I literally remember the "what is Garena" takes from last year. It's popular in South America iirc.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
So now I'm interested in how out of touch I am. Who actually knew of Garena free fire before? I assume it's likely a title that's huge in asia but only has limited exposure in the west.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Guarantee you tons of these are from kids.

My son loves watching Minecraft and Roblox shit lol.

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
Wow...my 19 year old carpenter's apprentice on a job site found out I liked video games and asked me if I was into free fire, and I thought HE was lame...

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
So now I'm interested in how out of touch I am. Who actually knew of Garena free fire before? I assume it's likely a title that's huge in asia but only has limited exposure in the west.

It's very prominent here in Brasil, a lot of YouTubers in gaming content ocasionally talk about it even if they don't play, there are streamers who are focused on this game and in my youtube recommendations sometimes it appears.