• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Edit: I'm looking for versus titles, not coop. Sorry I completely forgot this one very important detail.

Where's the top down twin stick shooter answer to stuff like Towerfall/Samurai Gunn/Retimed?

I'm aware of a couple but they all suck. I want something like Trailer Trashers but actually good, basically. Think Enter the Gungeon but 4 player (or more) versus goodness.

Don't bother posting stuff like Hot Shot Burn, I'm specifically looking for twin stick shooters, not just top down shooter.

Last edited:

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
store.steampowered.com

Assault Android Cactus+ on Steam

Assault Android Cactus is an intense arcade style twin stick shooter - pick from one of nine unique synthetic heroines and blast your way through overwhelming robots hordes to save the ship from its own workforce. Supports single player and local co-op game modes.

store.steampowered.com

SYNTHETIK: Legion Rising on Steam

SYNTHETIK is an unforgiving tactical shooter rogue-lite where freedom and experimentation is key. Fight in a world overrun by the Machine Legion and their Gods. Experience the next level in gun-play and dive into unparalleled build options and Android upgrades. Can you defeat the Heart of...

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
store.steampowered.com

Renegade Ops on Steam

Blast your way through enemy lines to defeat Inferno, a madman intent on global domination. Destruction just got awesome.

^ this game is fuckin sick. totally forgot about it.

store.steampowered.com

Nex Machina on Steam

Nex Machina is an intense arcade style twin-stick shooter from Housemarque. Taking hints from both Robotron and Smash TV, Nex Machina focuses on pure action, voxel destruction and competition in the distant, cablepunk themed future.

steam has a ton of good twin stick shooters

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Assault Android Cactus is an intense arcade style twin stick shooter - pick from one of nine unique synthetic heroines and blast your way through overwhelming robots hordes to save the ship from its own workforce. Supports single player and local co-op game modes.
Came here to recommend these two.

Also:

And Alienation (only on PS4)

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't find a link to the original XBLA version of James Silva's Z0MB1ES but here's the phone port.

www.microsoft.com

Microsoft Apps

Get apps, games, and more for your Windows device

OP
OP
Another

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
store.steampowered.com

store.steampowered.com

SYNTHETIK is an unforgiving tactical shooter rogue-lite where freedom and experimentation is key. Fight in a world overrun by the Machine Legion and their Gods. Experience the next level in gun-play and dive into unparalleled build options and Android upgrades. Can you defeat the Heart of...

AAC is a tremendous game! Does it actually have versus though? In my estimation there was only coop in it, no?

Same question for Synthetik while we're at it as I've no interest in coop but rather local versus (have updated the OP to reflect as much, completely forgot).

OP
OP
Another

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
store.steampowered.com

Renegade Ops on Steam

Blast your way through enemy lines to defeat Inferno, a madman intent on global domination. Destruction just got awesome.
Does this have versus or is it coop only?

Is awesome. Does it have local multiplayer versus, though?

Dead Nation is good.
It's been years but... isn't it 2 player only and coop only?

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
Geometry Wars 2 and 3 have competitive modes, but I don't think it was anything other than competing to get a higher score than everybody else. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

OP
OP
Another

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Geometry Wars 2 and 3 have competitive modes, but I don't think it was anything other than competing to get a higher score than everybody else. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.
I love GW, but this ain't what I'm looking for, no.

Basically, you really can't get a better descriptor for what I'm looking for than "Top down twin stick answer to TowerFall/Samurai Gunn". In other words, a versus multiplayer focused game with responsive controls and immediately obvious pick up and play appeal.

Alienation is my favorite, would love either some new DLC or a sequel to that.
Actually picked this up a couple weeks ago on sale but haven't been near my PS4 since late last month and as such haven't had a chance to experience this yet... does it offer versus or just coop?

Slight disclaimer, nothing wrong with coop twin stick shooters at all, I actually play a ton of these with the SO (hence why I bought Alienation), but that's not what I'm looking for here at all.

OP
OP
Another

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Yeah, coop only unfortunately.
Turns out I owned it already (must've been a part of some humble bundle) so this was actually good news regardless as me and the SO are always on the lookout for good 2 player twin stick shooters to plow our way through, actually installing it as we speak. Weird that this one passed me by considering I'm always on the lookout for Sega published stuff!

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out I owned it already (must've been a part of some humble bundle) so this was actually good news regardless as me and the SO are always on the lookout for good 2 player twin stick shooters to plow our way through, actually installing it as we speak. Weird that this one passed me by considering I'm always on the lookout for Sega published stuff!
It's great fun. Consider going with Hard difficulty if you want some level of challenge as at least when I last played it it didn't scale the difficulty with the player count.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe not quite what you're after but checkout Inversus.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Can try giving these a shot they're pretty cheap right now on Steam.
store.steampowered.com

TANKNAROK on Steam

TANKNAROK is a fast paced couch/online action game where 2-4 tanks duke it out in a wide range of arenas, with tons of explosive powerups and deadly hazards.
store.steampowered.com

Save 80% on Hyper Jam on Steam

Battle it out local and online in this neon-soaked arena brawler full of lethal weapons, stackable perks, furious combat and a killer synthwave soundtrack.
store.steampowered.com

Fragmental on Steam

An intense competitive and co-operative, couch-play multiplayer twin-stick shooter with some of the fastest and most frantic gameplay around. It’s a single screen, explosive arcade blast of fun where the weapons and arenas are deadly and the rivalry is fierce.

Last edited:

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
EDIT: oh versus, yeah there really aren't any of those and I don't think Towerfall counts as twin stick

Last edited:

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
its not quite a twin-stick, but Rival Megagun is a fantastic versus shoot em up worth giving a shot. but if that doesnt work, Hyperdrive Massacre could do the trick, though its local only

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Both Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light and Lara Croft & The Temple of Osiris are fantastic options that mix combat, platforming and cooperative puzzle-solving. I strongly recommend them.

Edit: welp, had this thread open in a tab for a while and it didn't have the edit in the op yet lol

Still strongly suggest those games.

OP
OP
Another

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
EDIT: oh versus, yeah there really aren't any of those and I don't think Towerfall counts as twin stick

It 100% does NOT count as twin stick, no. You don't use the right stick at all. Out of Towerfall, Samurai Gunn and Retimed, Retimed is the only one which is actually a twin stick shooter. Regardless, I used TowerFall as a blueprint to get across what I'm looking for, not as an example of a twin stick shooter. ^^

Does Gauntlet count OP

D'you mean the "new" Gauntlet? Because if so then yeah, I suppose (depends on char, really, but yeah)... does it have versus though?
You just reminded me I'm literally on the last level of playing that with the SO and completely forgot about it. -.-'

OP
OP
Another

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Maybe not quite what you're after but checkout Inversus.

Not quite what I'm after rn but definitely up my alley. I'll take it! ^^

Can try giving these a shot they're pretty cheap right now on Steam.
store.steampowered.com

TANKNAROK on Steam

TANKNAROK is a fast paced couch/online action game where 2-4 tanks duke it out in a wide range of arenas, with tons of explosive powerups and deadly hazards.
store.steampowered.com

Save 80% on Hyper Jam on Steam

Battle it out local and online in this neon-soaked arena brawler full of lethal weapons, stackable perks, furious combat and a killer synthwave soundtrack.
store.steampowered.com

Fragmental on Steam

An intense competitive and co-operative, couch-play multiplayer twin-stick shooter with some of the fastest and most frantic gameplay around. It’s a single screen, explosive arcade blast of fun where the weapons and arenas are deadly and the rivalry is fierce.

These all look pretty good. Many thanks!

its not quite a twin-stick, but Rival Megagun is a fantastic versus shoot em up worth giving a shot. but if that doesnt work, Hyperdrive Massacre could do the trick, though its local only

There's a modern answer to Twinkle Star Sprites and I didn't know it? What the hell?

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
It 100% does NOT count as twin stick, no. You don't use the right stick at all. Out of Towerfall, Samurai Gunn and Retimed, Retimed is the only one which is actually a twin stick shooter. Regardless, I used TowerFall as a blueprint to get across what I'm looking for, not as an example of a twin stick shooter. ^^
Ok I'm just wondering because if you're looking for more games like Towerfall then obviously Duck Game counts and if you're looking for more games like Samurai Gunn then Ninja Shodown counts.

But I think what you're looking for is actually a local multiplayer versus game where you can aim at arbitrary angles. In which case there's the Scorched Earth/Deathtank clone Shellshock Live!
store.steampowered.com

ShellShock Live on Steam

Demolish your friends with hundreds of upgradable weapons shot from your customizable tank in this action-packed online multiplayer tanks game. Earn XP to level up and unlock new tanks, weapons, and gear. Fight against or alongside your friends for strategic team or free-for-all matches.

And the further iterations of the formula, Moonshot and Orbit Outlaws:
store.steampowered.com

Moonshot on Steam

Moonshot is a furious mash up of Angry Birds Space, Smash Bros, and the vintage classic Scorched Earth. Pilot space tanks and wield physics as a weapon to pull off impossible shots in this fast-paced space battle. An instant party game classic guaranteed to get you and your friends laughing.
store.steampowered.com

Orbit Outlaws on Steam

Orbit Outlaws is the definitive physics-based arena combat game. Use gravity to pull off impossible shots in competitive and casual multiplayer. Choose your gun, chassis, and pilot, then upgrade and optimize your loadout as you progress against rival pilots.

Finally, there's also the Towerfall-ish Stick Fight: The Game
store.steampowered.com

Stick Fight: The Game on Steam

Stick Fight is a physics-based couch/online fighting game where you battle it out as the iconic stick figures from the golden age of the internet.

OP
OP
Another

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Ok I'm just wondering because if you're looking for more games like Towerfall then obviously Duck Game counts and if you're looking for more games like Samurai Gunn then Ninja Shodown counts.
Those are both excellent recs (Ninja Shodown has one single caveat in that it really, really needs a patch to get rid of the whole "mash button faster to win" scenarios that automatically trigger whenever two players strike each other simultaneously since all it does is allow a third element to just swoop in and capitalize by killing both participants with no room for any of the duelers to do anything at all about it. Oh, and FUCK Duck Game's unlock system too)... but trust me on this one, I know exactly what I'm looking for. I want Enter The Gungeon style gameplay in versus format. Specifically because the verticality of most games in the "genre" turns off one of my regular playgroup's elements.

But I think what you're looking for is actually a local multiplayer versus game where you can aim at arbitrary angles. In which case there's the Scorched Earth/Deathtank clone Shellshock Live!
store.steampowered.com

ShellShock Live on Steam

Demolish your friends with hundreds of upgradable weapons shot from your customizable tank in this action-packed online multiplayer tanks game. Earn XP to level up and unlock new tanks, weapons, and gear. Fight against or alongside your friends for strategic team or free-for-all matches.
Oooh, I'll give this a spin for sure. 7 player Death Tank Zwei matches are a still a staple in my playgroup (yes, even in 2020) so an updated take on the formula with room for an extra 8th player will be most welcome.

And the further iterations of the formula, Moonshot and Orbit Outlaws:
store.steampowered.com

Moonshot on Steam

Moonshot is a furious mash up of Angry Birds Space, Smash Bros, and the vintage classic Scorched Earth. Pilot space tanks and wield physics as a weapon to pull off impossible shots in this fast-paced space battle. An instant party game classic guaranteed to get you and your friends laughing.
store.steampowered.com

Orbit Outlaws on Steam

Orbit Outlaws is the definitive physics-based arena combat game. Use gravity to pull off impossible shots in competitive and casual multiplayer. Choose your gun, chassis, and pilot, then upgrade and optimize your loadout as you progress against rival pilots.

Goddamn, Orbit Outlaws looks damn fine! And Moonshot doesn't look shabby at all, either.

Finally, there's also the Towerfall-ish Stick Fight: The Game
store.steampowered.com

Stick Fight: The Game on Steam

Stick Fight is a physics-based couch/online fighting game where you battle it out as the iconic stick figures from the golden age of the internet.
I'm aware of this one already, it's pretty fun! Been a while, now that I think about it...

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
Time to make this game OP! Would love to play a multiplayer pvp twinstick rougelike and am surprised no one has knocked it out of the park.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Da Fuck is this! Why I haven't heard about it?

Looks sick, great reviews on Steam.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Don't know if you can play Helldivers Local Coop, but it's the most fun I've ever had with a twin-stick shooter.

OP
OP
Another

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Don't know if you can play Helldivers Local Coop, but it's the most fun I've ever had with a twin-stick shooter.
You can and it does indeed rock. Unfortunately for me all three times I've tried playing through it my partner(s) of choice for the run they consistently lost interest a few hours in. A shame, but maybe someday I'll get lucky!

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Touhou 1v1 PvP

store.steampowered.com

Maiden and Spell on Steam

Maiden & Spell is a magical girl battle game, set in a cutesy fantasy world. Select from one of eight young ladies to battle 1 on 1 with a friend, or fight your way through a series of bosses and learn the secrets of The Kingdom of Stars.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Just saw this thread and was going to suggest Maiden Spell, but I guess I got beat to it

Based off some of the other suggestions you thought looked good but weren't twin sticks, Invisigun is a great competitive top down shooter. The basic gimmick is all players are invisible except when they shoot. You have to keep track of where you are and try not to bump into stuff and give away your position. Every characters has a fun gimmick to them.
store.steampowered.com

Invisigun Reloaded on Steam

The ultimate stealth battle adventure where everyone’s invisible! Risk versus reward guides your journey through the full-length single player campaign and local/online multiplayer. Vigilance is key as environmental tells such as footprints and other disturbances will point out careless cadets.

Last edited:

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I forget if this game is twin stick
store.steampowered.com

Stardust Vanguards on Steam

Get your friends and bust out the controllers, STARDUST VANGUARDS is a local four-player dueling game inspired by old-school anime space operas, combining arcade-style battling with the ability to summon your own NPC army as support!

OP
OP
Another

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Just saw this thread and was going to suggest Maiden Spell, but I guess I got beat to it

Based off some of the other suggestions you thought looked good but weren't twin sticks, Invisigun is a great competitive top down shooter. The basic gimmick is all players are invisible except when they shoot. You have to keep track of where you are and try not to bump into stuff and give away your position. Every characters has a fun gimmick to them.
store.steampowered.com

Invisigun Reloaded on Steam

The ultimate stealth battle adventure where everyone’s invisible! Risk versus reward guides your journey through the full-length single player campaign and local/online multiplayer. Vigilance is key as environmental tells such as footprints and other disturbances will point out careless cadets.
We play this one alot on switch, game's pretty damn fun!
I forget if this game is twin stick
store.steampowered.com

Stardust Vanguards on Steam

Get your friends and bust out the controllers, STARDUST VANGUARDS is a local four-player dueling game inspired by old-school anime space operas, combining arcade-style battling with the ability to summon your own NPC army as support!
This however I've never ever heard of. For that price, though? Sold. Will try it out tomorrow!