• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
AngWsd2.png

All of this was mentioned on the "Road to PS5" stream. Sony tested 100 of the most-played PS4 games and most of them ran straight out of the box with boost mode and should be ready for launch. PS5 is too fast for certain titles. Boost mode happens naturally as a result of playing on the PS5 but this boost cannot be handled by certain games due to their code which is why they need to be tested individually but results have been "excellent".

Rest of the PS4 games will run through legacy mode.

Sidenote to all this -- But I have a feeling this is what the general shape of the PS5 is going to be.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Cerny said that they checked the top 100 games and most of them ran without issues that they'd be working on a case-by-case basis on the game that do have issues to get them working correctly.

Basically the PS5 runs all PS4 games but a handful have issues that don't run as intended. The "top 100" comment was intended to signify that they spot-checked PS4 games.

If so he wasn't being honest. You can have 99.9% BC and there will always be one situation in one game that doesn't run as intended.

You put your own interpretation on what said in the presentation. Every PS4 game will be case-by-case basis but that doesn't mean you will be able to run most them on PS5 at launch. Some games you might be able to run but it might not even be playable.

I don't know why many of you put your own take into Cerny's statement instead of just sticking with what we know for sure. Right now we only know that Sony have tested 100 top PS4 games and most of them will be playable at lunch. Just leave it at that. Don't add anything else to this statement.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
kind of bummed they didn't mention ps1/2/3 BC. i dont care about the ps4 stuff. i just played it.
Pretty sure that continues to be more of a licensing issue than anything else

MS had the advantage of entering a lot later and having a very western mindset to licensing. So that makes it a lot easier for them to redistribute even original xbox games

Sony has the kind of clusterfucks that led to "this PS1 game can be played on the PSP but not the Vita or PS3" and so forth. You don't do that by choice. You do that by "this seemed like a good idea at the time" licensing agreements that make digital (re)distribution a clusterfuck

Hopefully we'll see PS3 eventually. PS1 and PS2 are probably going to be a "lost generation" for some time

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Ok, here's what Cerny actually said:

"Running PS4 and PS4 Pro titles at boosted frequencies as also added complexity. The boost is truly massive this time around and some game code just can't handle it. Testing has to be done on a title by title basis. Results are excellent, though. We recently took a look at the top 100 Playstation 4 titles as ranked by playtime and we're expecting almost all of them to playable at launch on Playstation 5."

He's talking about PS4 games running on the PS5's boost mode, imho.

I got this impression as well, but I guess we'll wait and see.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017

"Running PS4 and PS4 Pro titles at boosted frequencies as also added complexity. The boost is truly massive this time around and some game code just can't handle it. Testing has to be done on a title by title basis. Results are excellent, though. We recently took a look at the top 100 Playstation 4 titles as ranked by playtime and we're expecting almost all of them to playable at launch on Playstation 5."

The wording is murky, hopefully they clarify this soon.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
So essentially:
  • Most of the top 100 games (based on playtime) they tested worked with boost mode straight out of the box and should be good for launch
  • Certain titles cannot handle boost mode due to old code and thus need to be tested individually
  • Rest of the games will run as they do on the PS4 (legacy mode)
Correct?

Maybe worth putting in the OP with the wrong-information going around.
I quote cerny "Results are excellent though. We recently took a look at the top 100 playstation 4 titles ranked on playtime. And we expect almost all to be playable at launch."
So yeh, do not see the Doom & Gloom like some posters here....

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"on a game-by-game basis "

This is the most Sony thing ever, MS made doing BC look too easy. Let's hope we won't be at their mercy of adding titles to the supported list. Somewhere in 2023 Sony "hey guyz you can finally play knack 2" tfo with that ish
But... that is literally what MS does. BC is on a game-to-game basis.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

this need to be added to the OP.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
AngWsd2.png

All of this was mentioned on the "Road to PS5" stream. Sony tested 100 of the most-played PS4 games and most of them ran straight out of the box with boost mode and should be ready for launch. PS5 is too fast for certain titles. Boost mode happens naturally as a result of playing on the PS5 but this boost cannot be handled by certain games due to their code which is why they need to be tested individually but results have been "excellent".

Rest of the PS4 games will run through legacy mode.

You should consider having a mod change the title. There's going to be way too many shit posts because there isn't reliable information going around here. You should include the actual quote in the first post and then we can discuss from there.

EDIT: OK I saw your post, thanks

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
VINDICATED
What about "when we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much" has been twisted so much? He flatout said "I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?", which makes it pretty clear that backwards compatibility and video game preservation are not a priority for Sony. It's a quote that is informative of how trashy Sony's approach to backwards compatibility has been this generation i.e. no backwards compatibility for PS1/2/3/PSP/Vita at the start, selective (and terrible) access in the present via PS Now, not to mention the low effort the PlayStation Classic put on display (that used fan-made emulation software, incidentally).

If you seriously expect the PS5 to prioritize backwards compatibility with any Sony console, you're not paying attention.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that Sony finally has BC on their console again.

That said, MS is still blowing them out of the water, I mean ffs, I could still play OG Xbox games on the XSX, which is extremely fascinating and compelling as a collector. Seeing Ninja Gaiden Black running at 4K almost got me to impulse buy a X1X last year.

I never bought an Xbox at launch, but this is making it very interesting to say the least.

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
This is a disaster. I expected bare minimum to be fully compatible with PS4 games. This is worse than the specs news.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, this is interesting. I was 100% on board with the PS5, but the language used in this was weird. I was under the impression that almost all PS4 games were going to be BC, but the language used here was a little confusing.

I'm gonna wait until they have a full info blowout with pricing/release date before I commit to the launch.

This might be the year that I dive into PC finally.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
They've literally barely just touched on BC as part of a tech reveal for a next-gen machine How are people reading so much into it?!

From what I've read they've said there's definitely PS4 BC and they've tested 100 popular titles (which makes perfect sense) and the vast majority worked great straight away and some will need work on a case-by-case basis.

What they haven't said is how many PS4 titles overall will run at launch, whether any other legacy console games will work, whether there's going to be any enhancements or pretty much anything else!

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but Sony dropped the ball on this. MS is not just getting all past generations to run, they are enhancing old games.

I'm sure the PS5 will be a fantastic console but this is really underwhelming.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Maybe worth putting in the OP with the wrong-information going around.
I quote cerny "Results are excellent though. We recently took a look at the top 100 playstation 4 titles ranked on playtime. And we expect almost all to be playable at launch."
So yeh, do not see the Doom & Gloom like some posters here....
Doing so 👍

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Lol this guarantees what I've been saying for years though

Next gen remasters are going nowhere baby. Get ready to pay $60 again :)

Edit - This is all really confusing and I feel the messaging was kind of muddy when it didn't need to be.
No PS3 is disappointing but I recently sold my entire PS3 collection for this reason

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
There's no justification to not have 100% BC while the new XBox does it already.
I totally expect to see a fuckton of useless remastered just to see minimal improvements you could simply see with a simple patch, but publishers will charge already full price or almost for a bunch of additional fps.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

people freaking out over nothing as usual then? lol

boost mode on the PRO can make some games act weird. it's pretty reasonable to assume the PS5 would too.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Bloodborne is gonna be the one game in the top 100 that won't fucking work right?

Bet Demons Souls shits itself too so we can continue the tradition of having a From game locked to the previous generation console.

Fuck me throw in Sekiro too I'm feeling particularly pessimistic today.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Has MS confirmed full compatibility? I assumed both would deliver on last gen games at the very least and I'm worried now.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
there are over 2500 PS4 titles worldwide. According to Sony only the top 100 will be BC at launch with others on a case by case basis, so that leaves about 4% of the PS4 library available as BC at launch. Assuming half are shovelware, past Madden, FIFA titles, that number is now 8%, compared to 500 plus Xbox 360 and close to 50 OG Xbox games being BC for Xbox Series X. I can see MS's marketing killing Sony in this dept. Sony has dropped the ball big time.
See this is exactly what you get with bad titles and bad information. Everyone is misinterpreted what they said.

They tested the 100 most popular games and almost all of them worked on the PS5. Most of those other 2400 games will just work fine with some exceptions.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
While I do think we need to see the full list before we totally freak out it is a bit disappointing and I wish they were prioritizing it a little more.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

This is all.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
there are over 2500 PS4 titles worldwide. According to Sony only the top 100 will be BC at launch with others on a case by case basis, so that leaves about 4% of the PS4 library available as BC at launch. Assuming half are shovelware, past Madden, FIFA titles, that number is now 8%, compared to 500 plus Xbox 360 and close to 50 OG Xbox games being BC for Xbox Series X. I can see MS's marketing killing Sony in this dept. Sony has dropped the ball big time.
Even when it's written out for you, you still get it wrong

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
First want to say I think PS4 games will be ok. Cerny only said that tested the top 100 games and almost all of them ran, I assume they are going to test more of them (and hopefully the rest of the library). There are PS4 games that I love that are 'not' popular and don't want to see them fall between the cracks because Sony doesn't feel it's worthwhile to test them/make them BC.

That said, still extremely disappointing. Even if Sony hasn't said anything about prior systems, that MS can give such great BC support there is no reason Sony cannot do the same with PS1-PS3. Or the very least, PS1 & PS2. That nothing was said about any of the prior generations gives me the impression all we will only receive is PS4.

No, Sony hasn't said anything else. But still very disappointing that they aren't making an effort in giving us BC to prior generations. Really would love to condense my systems, and have a huge backlog that dates back to the PS1.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Series X will play ALL Xbone games automatically out of the box, not via a game by game basis, but certain Xbone games like Halo 5 will be Series X enhanced.
this was my understanding as well. Not sure why people keep comparing 360>Xbox one the same as ps4>ps5. I thought it had already been announced that Xbox one>series x will be 100% day one

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure that continues to be more of a licensing issue than anything else

MS had the advantage of entering a lot later and having a very western mindset to licensing. So that makes it a lot easier for them to redistribute even original xbox games

Sony has the kind of clusterfucks that led to "this PS1 game can be played on the PSP but not the Vita or PS3" and so forth. You don't do that by choice. You do that by "this seemed like a good idea at the time" licensing agreements that make digital (re)distribution a clusterfuck

Hopefully we'll see PS3 eventually. PS1 and PS2 are probably going to be a "lost generation" for some time
is that because BC on these newer consoles is more based on software vs hardware? like... a 3ds can play all the ds games, and i cant imagine licensing was invovled in anyway.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
What can we expect from Boost mode? If I pop in God of War on PS5 are we expecting it to be native 4k 60fps or something? I may have missed what boost mode is.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I don't think Microsoft is that unprofessional like Sony was. Although the Xbox One deserved it, that PS4 ad stooped to the same level of an attack ad. Companies that do this are childish and petty.
If you think that was unprofessional, you have no idea what these companies have done in the past.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
This still says nothing as to whether PS5 could see something similar to the "Smart Delivery" that Microsoft is promising, where if a game has a current-gen and next-gen version you get both with one purchase.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Disappointed they only clarified PS4 BC. Game wise I'll just keep playing what I have on my PS4. If there were further BC for older generations, it would have been a day 1 purchase so I could free up space in my entertainment area.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not buying any excuses as to why Shadow of the Colossus for example won't be able to work day 1 through the PS4 version I bought. The message here is disappointing.