• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
PS3 and before I kind of get, but not 100% PS4 is very surprising as the architecture transition from Ps4 to PS5 is similar to Xb1 to XbX.

Not only is MS 100% compatible, they claim to improve the game with no developer intervention

"Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before," Spencer says. "Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you."

I refuse to believe Sony cannot do this as well

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
that big empty space at the bottom was just mean though I imagine they'd save an announcement of PS1-3 backwards compat for a later, more audience-facing event

Either way though this is really disappointing, but it really depends on whether or not third party publishers can test their own games. Sucks for indie devs in particular if not.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Some of you motherfuckers need to calm down and read/listen to what was said.

They only tested the top 100 games, not only the top 100 games will be suported.

Almost all of them worked initially. A few didn't.

Everyone over here acting like Sony said only 80 games will be BC. Jesus people pay attention.

It's Sony's fault that there is confusion. You don't talk about BC at all if you're not going to clarify that the majority of titles will be playable.

Nov 1, 2017
That's frustrating to hear, I thought PS3 compatibility might be a long shot but I was hoping that they would at least support PS1/PS2 titles even if only digitally. PS4 support being a work in progress isn't too big of a deal for me though, most of the 100 most played games being ready for launch is a good amount and hopefully the initiative will continue getting support.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
What games are you playing on your PS4 Pro that won't likely be played on PS5?
I have lots of smaller japanese games like 425 Shibuya Scramble or The Nonary Games and lots of indies which - according to Sony - need to be tested first. And I don't trust that every game in my library carries over to PS5. The big games, sure, but my library is larger than that.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to wait on Sony to clarify and not freak out because there's literally no point in doing so.

If I don't get my BC for all most PS4 physical and digital games, then I simply won't buy or I'll wait til they fix this and purchase then.

And also I'll add that I do not give a fuck about PS1 - PS3 compatibility.

Sony should be able to nailed down FULL compatability for the PS4 games at the very least and provide enhancements for a select few top tier 1st party exclusives.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I saw the writing on the wall on this earlier and I've been buying all MP on Xbox. I may just go PC eventually since building these huge libraries on these systems seems like a crapshoot.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This is weird.

The console design is compromised due BC and at the same time BC is being compromised and not at all what was expected.

Something obviously went very wrong. Hard to believe that this is the scenario they wanted.

This is what I don't understand.

Wasn't the 36 CU design of the GPU to make it easier for BC to work for PS4 games? To create a hardware based BC system?

This is kind of pissing me off.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
So no Ps1-3 and not even fully BC for Ps4.

What are you doing Sony, how can you fuck this up so hard
We don't know about PS1-3 BC, could be conformed for another reveal.

Also, they stated they tested the top 100 games on PS5 previously and they run well, does t mean all other titles are automatically out.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
seriously, when people want to play PS4 games on the PS5...maybe just let the PS4 connected to the TV and you can play all PS4 games you want...who is buying a new console to play old games?

did anybody scream at Nintendo why you can´t play Wii U games on the Switch? no, they are happily buying these ports

The point was only needing one Playstation connected, not to mention basic shit like performance boosts

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
this gens meme

ps4 game runs in legacy mode on ps5, Sony sells you new copy for ps5

xbox one game get upgraded for free on Xbox series x

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Some of you motherfuckers need to calm down and read/listen to what was said.

They only tested the top 100 games, not only the top 100 games will be suported.

Almost all of them worked initially. A few didn't.

Everyone over here acting like Sony said only 80 games will be BC. Jesus people pay attention.
I think the concern comes from Sony's track record when it comes to "a case by case basis" and approval for legacy title support. We might see strong initial support, but if the demand isn't there, they might abandon compatibility updates all together.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
The 20% power gap I can live with (oneX to Pro is higher after all), but no BC means I have to keep 2 playstations wired...man, is it 1994?!?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
For comparison, how does Microsoft handle this? It's also on a game-by-game basis right?

Xbox is closer to a PC with its DirectX implementation so it may be a non issue there.

I'm guessing the issue here is CPU/GPU race conditions that aren't properly handled by Sony's development framework.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
HeLJcQp.gif

yeah,i'm dissapointed.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Their approach couldn't be any more different than Xbox's, its night and day. Have to say I'm a little disappointed.
Did they say if any of their BC titles will get any enhancements at all?

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
seriously, when people want to play PS4 games on the PS5...maybe just let the PS4 connected to the TV and you can play all PS4 games you want...who is buying a new console to play old games?

did anybody scream at Nintendo why you can´t play Wii U games on the Switch? no, they are happily buying these ports

Well, not everyone wants to hold on to their old consoles. In fact I'd be willing to bet that many were hoping to trade in their PS4 in order to help them afford the PS5.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Very disappointed on how BC will work on the PS5, moving my digital games across from the PS4 was pretty big for me.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

People who did not have a PS4 buy a PS5 to play PS5 and PS4 games.

People who already had a PS4 would buy a PS5 because they can get rid of their PS4s.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
No PS1-3 BC and only a small collection of most popular PS4 games. Yeah not excited at all.

MS got this BC thing in the bag.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know about PS1-3 BC, could be conformed for another reveal.

Also, they stated they tested the top 100 games on PS5 previously and they run well, does t mean all other titles are automatically out.

If it had 1-3 BC they would have said.

The problem is the very fact that it is not a simple working full BC for Ps4. No one should be wondering if their Ps4 game will work on Ps5.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
It's really starting to piss me off that all of the PS1-PS2 games I've purchased on PSN are stuck entirely to one console.
I don't care about enhancements. I'm perfectly content with just having access. My PS3 won't last forever.

It probably doesn't help that my PS4 library is anything but top 100 games, so it's doubtful that I'll ever be able to trade that in. Maybe I should renovate my house. I'll need an extra room just to house Sony consoles.

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
For talking so much about keeping the instruction sets the same / adding them on to existing hardware ... and stating months ago that BC existed, and us foolishly thinking our PS4 libraries were safe for the next gen as a result ...

This is very deflating, to put it mildly

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Wait, WTF?

Only 100 PS4 titles will be BC at launch?
No ...

OP should have made the title different. So much confusion here right now. They tested the 100 most popular games and probably one or two didn't work. So probably 97% of the PS4 games will work on the PlayStation 5. For the other 2 or 3% of the games. We'll survive, so much drama here for probably a couple of dozens game of the 2.500 PS4 games that have been released.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't need full PS1-3 BC because I don't play these games anymore, but I was expecting some kind of upgraded PS4 experience and Sony just didn't wanted to give any efforts. It sucks, and it's not day one for me anymore.