• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've loved Marty's work for so long and never knew he was this kind of person. This is probably one of the more disappointing things I've learned in recent memory.

Yeah, he's an old grumpy fuck.

Thankfully he's not on the level of the Dragon Quest guy.

Still really love his work on Halo, but I don't need to see him come back to the franchise like many desire. He peaked with ODST, anyway.

SpectR0nn

Jan 6, 2018
What really noteworthy stuff has Gordon produced other than the amazing Doom 2016 soundtrack though? I see he also worked on the recent Wolfenstein games, as well as Prey, but honestly neither of those are truly standout works to me.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Solid list and top notch editing.
That journey music still brings a tear to my eye..

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What really noteworthy stuff has Gordon produced other than the amazing Doom 2016 soundtrack though? I see he also worked on the recent Wolfenstein games, as well as Prey, but honestly neither of those are truly standout works to me.

Killer Instinct 2013 is his masterpiece in my eyes. Doom 2016 is good, but it's somewhat KI leftovers.

Prey was better than Doom, too.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Killer instinct. To me is probably his second best work.

I love his work but I do think a couple more notable OSTs are needed to crack a top 10. And he's got one coming up this year!

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
When Koshiro and Meguro came up and were so low I was pretty bummed, but each name after them had me nodding my head in recognition. Good list.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
I tried looking you up, Putty, but to no avail. Do you have your work listed anywhere? I have a few more hours at work and need something make this day go by quicker.

Well, i've worked on nearly 200 titles now during past 25 yr's or so...Before I started in-house at Double Eleven, I was working with another veteran composer Allister Brimble. I have an XL with all my titles on but nothing website based.

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
When you look at a list like this, it makes you realize just how stacked video game composition has become, and how relevant the old guard is to this day. That top 4 is almost un-crackable imo, ignoring a personal preference for the particular order. The classic JRPG music trinity who all show absurd variety in their abilities, and the man who has made the most iconic video game music when viewed from outside of gaming.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good list, but I would have had Keiichi Okabe and Marty O'Donnel somewhere on there. Maybe Jesper Kyd too.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Grant Kirkhope (Banjo-Kazooie, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Mario + Rabbids, Conker...) would easily make it into my personal top 10, and Kondo would be my no. 1 without a doubt. Other than that, good list.

LoveBug566

Oct 27, 2017
I would have liked to see Christopher Larkin on the list. Hollow Knight is greatly enhanced by the soundtrack.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, i've worked on nearly 200 titles now during past 25 yr's or so...Before I started in-house at Double Eleven, I was working with another veteran composer Allister Brimble. I have an XL with all my titles on but nothing website based.
My apologies, reading my first comment back sounded a bit douchey. I didn't mean for my comment to come across as anything other than "I Googled 'Putty composer' and I couldn't find you".

What are some pieces you've worked on that you consider favorites?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 is right. Not sure about the order, but it's right people.

Would've liked Metroid's Kenji Yamamoto on there though.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Yuzo Koshiro should be much higher and I agree with what a lot of the thread is saying about the absence of many very important western composers.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
My list starting from lowest

10. Michiko Naruke
9. Koji Kondo
8. Hitoshi Sakimoto
7. Jeremy Soule
6. Masayoshi Soken
5. Keigo Hoashi
4. Yoko Shimomura
3. ACE (technically two people, but they do every song together to my knowledge)
2. Yasunori Mitsuda
1. Masashi Hamauzu

Kow Otani not being there is a travesty. But I guess he doesn't have as many works as other people in that list.

While he did compose one of the best game OSTs of all time, it's hard for me to think he should be on a list when he primarily composes for anime.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
My apologies, reading my first comment back sounded a bit douchey. I didn't mean for my comment to come across as anything other than "I Googled 'Putty composer' and I couldn't find you".

What are some pieces you've worked on that you consider favorites?

I'm never happy 8). I worked on a lot of GBA/3DS/DS titles down the years due to my tracker experience on the Amiga. Favourites? Sega & Sonic All Star Racing on DS, Hydraventure on Wii, Fluidity Spin Cycle on 3DS. Duel Masters 3 on GBA. More recent "big music" I've written new music for Prison Architect Escape Mode on console, did a version of Elmer Bernsteins Great Escape theme for Escape Modes launch trailer, but currently working on what I believe to be my best ever work on a number of projects!

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Meguro is probably my #1, at least he's on the list.

Also I know people like to shit on him for his Tales music, but Motoi Sakuraba is easily a top 10 composer for me as well.

Oct 26, 2017
Sad Grant Kirkhope didn't get in the list. His work at Rare is absolutely timeless to me.

A couple of composers I feel deserve to be acknowledged:

Hajime Wakai at Nintendo for his work in Pokemon Stadium 2. Hands down my all-time fav Pokemon soundtrack. Here's the main battle tune of the game and demonstrates how bloody amazing he can be:

And Jim Croft, who was at Eurocom, for his work on Ice Age 2 and 3, as well as Spyro: A Hero's Tail. Here's an amazing piece from Ice Age 2 that you'd fucking swear was by David Wise IMO:

Criminally underrated composers.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
david wise, yuzo koshiro and akira yamaoka are in. that's all i asked for so this list is okay in my book.

also am i the only one who would have liked to see masafumi takada included in the list for his work on killer 7 and no more heroes or am i overrating those soundtracks?

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Forgetting his Shitty politics and opinions. Koichi Sugiyama. I grew up loving his Dragon Quest tunes , it felt really phoned in with DQ11 though and it's time for new blood.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Great Top Ten topic and great placement. Really enjoyed this list and my top 3 are the same (order could change daily).

Ian was clearly having a field day editing it superbly. The David Wise section was excellent and Guile's theme almost makes the FFXV battle system seem cool.

Also thank you to Ben for the Torna shoutout. You did well indeed.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
how on earth are ppl saying Toby Fox..

Give credit to the OG Mother composers Kiieci and the Chiptune Tanaka or whatever their names are. Absolutely phenomenal work

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
It's a very solid list. Personally, there are far too many amazing composers in the industry to narrow it down to 10.

Slai-Man

Oct 25, 2017
Look I love Undertale as much as anyone but one great soundtrack doesn't warrant placement on the list of ALL TIME greatest composers. This list is actually really good as is. Let Toby Fox continue to prove himself over time; I'm sure even he would agree he doesn't belong on this list yet.

It's not about quantity, and i'm not talking about all the 10 but i see him easily takes Jessica Curry or Austin Wintroy place.

Anyway after seeing the video i think they were talking about how these composers gave these games a cinematic feeling and the music were perfectly suited for the story and the enviormentnot. Not the quality of the tracks them selves.