• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Maybe if more people played Gotta Protectors (and to my understanding, Etrian Odyssey) they would realize that Koshiro should be higher. Overall good list, but I'd swap Mitsuda with Uematsu. I can still listen to Trigger and Cross daily and not get sick of the music.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Agree. One of the most perfected albums in gaming history.

Megalovania it self needs to be in the list.

Look I love Undertale as much as anyone but one great soundtrack doesn't warrant placement on the list of ALL TIME greatest composers. This list is actually really good as is. Let Toby Fox continue to prove himself over time; I'm sure even he would agree he doesn't belong on this list yet.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I'm cool with Soule being left out, his work is way too generic - which fits Elder Scrolls, but doesn't stand out for him as a composer.
If Soule's music is generic I wish more composers would be generic! His is some of the most beautiful music I've heard in games. I think preference plays a part though in this (as always). He draws from classical/romantic period music - what you call generic, I would call traditional - and my being a fan of that certainly helps.

Apr 24, 2018
The top five listed here would likely mirror my own with only slight variations in order (I'd personally have Wise higher and Kondo lower). Happy to see Yuzo Koshiro on this list - Streets of Rage soundtracks were fantastic.

Happy to see Mitsuda so high. I was worried they might forget about him.
I think for many people, including myself, Chrono Cross is considered (one of) the greatest videogame soundtrack of all time. Which is to say nothing of Chrono Trigger, which is right up there with it.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the songs to play during your Uematsu segment, you choose fucking One Winged Angel? *barf*

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Halo has a memorable theme, but after looking up Marty's history to see what he's done other than Halo and Destiny, I'm good not hearing from him again after finding this.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't consider this list to be complete without it including Michael Giacchino and Jeremy Soule.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo has a memorable theme, but after looking up Marty's history to see what he's done other than Halo and Destiny, I'm good not hearing from him again after finding this.

Yeah, bringing up that joke tweet to discredit his work is idiotic, yes he is a conservative, but from all accounts he isn't a terrible person either.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Christ! Don't tell me I've woke the EZA Army?

No army, it's just ridiculous to be that upset that they left one composer off of a top 10, to be point where you name it as a reason why you stopped watching their content.

There are many more than 10 brilliant composers. Great composers will be left out. Given the quality of so many of the composers in the top 10, it's nothing to be upset at.

Seriously, it bums me out that Marty isn't on there. But come on.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic list.

Gustavo Santaolalla may be on that list one day if he continues to compose game soundtracks, his work in film is sublime.

(Don't avatar quote me)

I think after Part II it'll just be a matter of how big of a catalog you think a composer would need to have to be on this list. TLoU and Left Behind already have absolutely fantastic soundtracks. And they sound very unique in the world of gaming as well.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does congratulating a coworker on an art award make him a good person?
She isn't a co-worker as they never worked directly together as far as I know. In addition what Lycan is implying contradicts that tweet. I'm not defending his political views mind you, but bringing up that tweet to discredit his work with Halo is fucking stupid.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She isn't a co-worker as they never worked directly together as far as I know. In addition what Lycan is implying contradicts that tweet. I'm not defending his political views mind you, but bringing up that tweet to discredit his work with Halo is fucking stupid.
Okay, I still don't get what acknowledging an art award has to do with being a good person.

I do see what mocking someone who tries to give a positive message on toxic masculinity has to do with being a bad person though.

I'm not discrediting his work on Halo, just indulging in a tangent.

How does not supporting a shitty company which experiments on animals then tries to earn brownie points throught soulless appeals to social messaging make him a bad person?
Why did he wait until that specific moment if he was boycotting them due to their animal abuse rather than their social message?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

I've loved Marty's work for so long and never knew he was this kind of person. This is probably one of the more disappointing things I've learned in recent memory.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
There are hundreds of great composers so nobody should fret about exclusions. In terms of being iconic and mainstays this is a good list overall. It's impossible for any list like this to please everyone either way

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty great list! I know he's not as well known but Marcin Przybyłowicz was the composer of the Witcher games and he did a fantastic job, especially with Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine. I adored Toussaint and the music that followed me.

Mitsuda got robbed. Those hacks in #1 and #2 have got nothing on him.
Take it easy peasy, man. Nobuo doesn't get an EA prize for ranking #1 or something.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not discrediting his work. I bought the Halo trilogy soundtrack on CD because I enjoyed the music. I just don't think he's a top 10 composer, and now I don't care if I hear any future work from him.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Really fun list. And Ian clearly had fun with editing it.

I'm so happy that Mitsuda got top 3. And that Koshiro and Yamaoka made the list. Well done Huber and Ian for fighting for those

I also liked they didn't go too far in skewing Japanese which is always easy to do when it comes to composers. I was hoping Mick Gordon would get in. But I think a couple more killer albums and he cracks the list. Same with Okabe

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
This is some Fox News-esque spin right here.
Yeah man, I love experimentation on animals. Not to even mention the lovely chemicals they spew into the air and water. I'm sure those marketers really care about social issues and aren't just using it for publicity and to form a veil so their crimes don't get brought up. Enough thread derailment.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe worth noting, but Keiichi Suzuki's and Hirokazu Tanaka's work on the Mother series were very influential and considered experimental and ahead of their time, with Eight Melodies being taught in Japanese textbooks for its quality and simplicity to learn.

Oct 27, 2017
Uematsu and Mitsuda are on there so I'm happy. Surprised no Jeremy Soule. There was that weird thing with his Kickstarter, but his Elder Scrolls soundtracks are great.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Yes, please, keep up the disingenuous replies.

Fact: He tweeted that because he was offended by Gillette's anti-toxic masculinity ad.

Not because of animal testing. That's something you have decided to add onto it after his original tweet as a way of defending it.
And I should care about his reasoning for not supporting it? I don't give a fuck if you don't like Monsanto for any stupid reason, doesn't change the fact that they're shitheads and the more people despise them the better, no matter how many preachy ads they put out. Same for Procter & Gamble.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
And I should care about his reasoning for not supporting it?

... I mean, yeah. Context is important in life, so yes.

If he doesn't support a company because the company spoke out against toxic masculinity, that makes him a pretty shitty person.

If he said he didn't support the company because the company tests on animals, that would be different.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Yuzo only being 8th and not 1st is disappointing to say the least.

Would have also thrown Jesper Kyd in there too.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018

If he doesn't support a company because the company spoke out against toxic masculinity, that makes him a pretty shitty person.

If he said he didn't support the company because the company tests on animals, that would be different.
Yeah, and Unit 731 was really useful for testing effects of certain diseases. Guess since it achieved that it's all alright, after all this hellish deathcamp tried to help people and as a result me saying "naw fuck them for that" isn't ok. Don't think of the impact, just the context.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

I didn't search for context after I found that Tweet, since I was just looking for other things Marty worked on and that popped up, but after he was hounded, he did follow up with another tweet.

So still no context for why he said anything.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I didn't search for context after I found that Tweet, since I was just looking for other things Marty worked on and that popped up, but after he was hounded, he did follow up with another tweet.

So still no context for why he said anything.

Yeah, it seems like people rightfully called him out for his gross tweet and he replied with some vague nonsense that doesn't actually address the fact that he was bothered by a message of "stop being toxic, men."

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
You're literally not making sense. I think I'm done here.
I mean sure, if you can't understand that marketing teams don't give a fuck about any social messaging they spew forward, and that people who see through this shit are "bigots" or whatever. If you drink the koolaid fine, but they care about nothing but people like you guarding them so any discussion is obfuscated. You do you.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I mean sure, if you can't understand that marketing teams don't give a fuck about any social messaging they spew forward, and that people who see through this shit are "bigots" or whatever

Why do you keep making up reasons for him?

He didn't "see through this shit." The topic of whether or not the marketing was legitimately trying to help or not isn't important here because that isn't what Marty took issue with. It's a valid discussion to have if we were talking about the ad in general. But we're not. This is about a single video game composer showing his ass.

Marty tweeted that ONLY because he disagreed with the message itself. Nothing more.