• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good list! I'm cool with Soule being left out, his work is way too generic - which fits Elder Scrolls, but doesn't stand out for him as a composer.

She may not be accomplished enough yet but I would have Manaka Kataoka on my list for her incredible work on Breath of the Wild alone.

With EZA Top 10 lists I always feel like there are entries championed by one specific person rather than reached by consensus.
Yes, the way it should be. :) Consensus = boring

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I opened the video depressed expecting to see no recognition for Yasunori Mitsuda, happy to be proven wrong for once.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty great list. I'd personally find somewhere for Jesper Kyd, although that's a personal choice and I wouldn't expect everyone to feel the same. I would also include Kow Otani as an honourable mention purely on the strength of the soundtrack to Shadow of the Colossus. He's done a few other games but nothing I'm familiar with.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really can't see Uematsu beating out Kondo, but it's a pretty solid list. Jessica Curry is the only one that stands out, less because of the quality of her work but the quantity. I think I would put Hip Tanaka in her place, but Grant Kirkhope and Kenji Yamamoto could also fit well.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He's my personal favorite, but I don't think you can really fault anyone ranked above him.
I don't really fault them, and the list is fine. Music is so subjective that it's hard to say anyone's take is wrong, I'd just personally have him towards the top of my own list.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I agree with the Top 5 spots. Shout out to Hirokazu Tanaka, Kazumi Totaka, Jun Ishikawa, and Shogo Sakai.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Western composers getting the shaft again.

It's hard for me to not recognize Mick Gordon, Jeremey Soule, and Martin O'Donnell as some of the GOATs.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Good list.

Shogo Sakai's work on Mother 3 alone rocketed him up near the top of my personal list alongside Shoji Meguro and Masafumi Takada. And I imagine Toby Fox is gonna get even more popular as a composer once we're able to hear the entirety of Deltarune's soundtrack.

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Why is Motoi Sakuraba never on these lists?

Its especially surprising because he contributed tracks to all three Dark Souls games and EZA loves them some dark souls.

Bonus: I think I need to give a shout out to Masato Nakamura. Sonic 1 & 2 soundtracks are timeless. He may not have been profilic as a video game music composer, but what he made was iconic. Sonic 1's soundtrack is perfection.

Last edited:

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Fantastic list.

Gustavo Santaolalla may be on that list one day if he continues to compose game soundtracks, his work in film is sublime.

(Don't avatar quote me)

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
David Wise over Yuzo Koshiro? Meguro over Hideki Naganuma?

As a wise man once said, "this ain't it chief"

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Kondo did great with the limitations of Nintendo hardware but his later stuff and orchestrated versions don't reach the variety or strength of Uematsu.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Kondo did great with the limitations of Nintendo hardware but his later stuff and orchestrated versions don't reach the variety or strength of Uematsu.

That's wrong. Kondo literally stopped lead composing as soon as orchestration was even a factor in video game music. And the few tracks he contributed to the 3D Mario games are absolutely amazing.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
Not just cause the guy is a dear personal friend, but Chris Huelsbeck should be on the list, and pretty high at that when considering his achievements. Not only for the melodic quality of his music, but he was among the very first video game composers in the world that managed to market his music as mainstream, opening his own record label for video game music, having his music broadcast via national radio in Germany, developing the world's first public tracker software (sound monitor), developing the 7 channel TFMX system on Amiga, developing MusyX on N64 (which was so successful Nintendo picked it up), and having a symphony dedicated to his music and again, broadcast on radio.

His legacy easily rivals that of Yuzo Koshiro and Nobuo Uematsu in terms of legitimizing and pushing video game music forward.

Oh and Alberto Gonzalez too, just cause his music is amazing.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
hm really?
CT is in the hall of greats.
And all the allies like Xeno and general, and Xenoblade's music if they haven't played it. He seemed a lock

Yeah it's not EZA's fault at all, i'm bummed that Mitsuda was always snubbed hard at the Game Awards all these years which makes me questioning whether western journalists, youtubers,... really know him.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Except for #10 (wut) a fairly predictable list, feels like each ally had their own personal spot on the list.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not just cause the guy is a dear personal friend, but Chris Huelsbeck should be on the list, and pretty high at that when considering his achievements. Not only for the melodic quality of his music, but he was among the very first video game composers in the world that managed to market his music as mainstream, opening his own record label for video game music, having his music broadcast via national radio in Germany, developing the world's first public tracker software (sound monitor), developing the 7 channel TFMX system on Amiga, developing MusyX on N64 (which was so successful Nintendo picked it up), and having a symphony dedicated to his music and again, broadcast on radio.

His legacy easily rivals that of Yuzo Koshiro and Nobuo Uematsu in terms of legitimizing and pushing video game music forward.

Oh and Alberto Gonzalez too, just cause his music is amazing.

Expecting literally anybody in mainstream games media to celebrate a C64/Amiga composer is a waste of time.
Naw he definitely do variety music

Koji Kondo didn't compose music for Skyward Sword.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I feel like some people are really sleeping on Jessica Curry's music in this thread - she may not be as prolific as some others, but each and every soundtrack she's composed in games has been exceptional (Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Dear Esther, So Let Us Melt). Consistently amazing music that fit each game like a glove, and is often the reason to play those games. The music is that good.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
220px-Michiru_Yamane.jpg