• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Needs more Icecrown Citadel.

ZCUF36o.jpg

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't see people losing their shit over this one.

But then I thought the same about Top 10 towns.
The towns one was legitimately just terrible :P

This list is solid though! Actually even though I'm a big Mega Man fan I'm not into Wily Castle, they tend to be the worst parts of the game. But whatevs

Oct 27, 2017
What i love WW but Hyrule castle from BOTw and TP( heck even Minish cap) are waaay better than its Hyrule castle ( although the black and white effect was cool)

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Cainhurst is amazing. It's not as memorable as Lothric IMO and has the second worst run back to a boss in all Soulsborne games but the atmosphere is creepy as hell for sure.

The castle from RE4 is probably my all time favorite.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit I bet they forgot just like I did. :(

Sorry allies, list invalidated.

Nah, they knew. It's in the intro section with all the other random castles, at the 21 second mark. At least it's timed exactly when Jones says "the best castles" so I'll take that as a win.

Joking aside, it's had to argue against that top 2. I enjoyed this list a lot better than the towns episode.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
BoTW Hyrule Castle got robbed.

Yup. It was the pinnacle of BotW's open world ideology. Tackle it from any angle, with multiple paths to explore and breadcrumbs of storytelling subtext. A brilliant finale to the game.

WW's Hyrule Castle is still excellent though. But then so is Ganon's Castle (OoT) and Hyrule Castle from (TP). A wealth of choices within the Zelda franchise.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nah, they knew. It's in the intro section with all the other random castles, at the 21 second mark. At least it's timed exactly when Jones says "the best castles" so I'll take that as a win.

Joking aside, it's had to argue against that top 2. I enjoyed this list a lot better than the towns episode.
That just makes it all the worse, they knew and yet excluded it when it should easily be #1. The castle in Ico is almost a character itself, the villain alongside the Queen. It's intricate and interconnected layout inspired the design of the SoulsBorne worlds. The ending of the game is largely showing it crumbling into the ocean, while this great piece plays :

Sometimes EZA come off as extremely casual, this is one of those times.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Well I'm gonna have to get serious because that's just what the fuck. The ICO Castle is nothing less than one of the most iconic and memorable locations in gaming. I have to say I'm disappointed.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Rock solid (no pun intended) list. Figaro castle and not one but two from the Soulsborne series make me a happy camper. :)

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine they felt inclined to leave out the castle from BotW just because their towns video was overrepresented by BotW, but man, for me that's one hell of an omission. The castle is visible from every region in the game, this eternal end goal that the entire game is about preparing you for. And then getting there, being able to explore and make your way up with complete freedom, with its incredible music theme playing in the background; it's unmatched in the series and few better castles exist in gaming.

They didn't use Bowser's Castle from Odyssey? The fuck?

Eh. I love Bowser's Castle from nearly all Mario games, but Odyssey's, while a fun and inspired level, isn't particularly great as a castle level. I'd love to've had more (any) indoor sections and just a general feel of actually being a place as opposed to a level in a video game. Not that it has to be that way, but I would've liked it more if it was, I think the theme is perfect and could've been developed further.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps it doesn't count, but both Twilight Cathedral and Black Throne dungeons in Darksiders I are incredible, especially the latter.

latest

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hyrule castle from Wind Waker is boring though. Swap it with the Breath of the Wild one.

Also, Alexandria castle from FF IX > Figaro Castle from FF VI

Last edited:

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
Eh i didnt enjoy cainhurst that much, thought mensis was far superior in almost every way.

Nov 17, 2017
Would have been a good entry for Link to the Past.

Windwaker's Hyrule Castle is like one of the worst.
I feel like many things from Wind Waker, it gets points for style over substance. Like it's cool that it's hidden underwater and that there's a Hero of Time statue and stain glass windows of the sages. The whole time frozen enemies is neat too. But it's mainly just the two rooms and nothing else to it. There are other Hyrule Castles like LttP, TP and BotW that are more interesting.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Solid list, but I couldn't help but keep thinking that their footage did nothing to show off what's neat about the various forms of Bowser's Castle outside the Mario Kart snippet.
Heck the SM3DWorld stuff was literally just a bit of one trailer, none of which was bowser's castle so....

Well anyway, Dracula's Castle the best and that's all that matters.

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
Ultimecia's Castle from FF8 needs to be on this list.

Also, thanks to that vid, I need to play a Castlevania game, because I love castles and shit. I only every played IV on SNES as a kid. Which is the best Castlevania in the series, send me towards it!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimecia's Castle from FF8 needs to be on this list.

Also, thanks to that vid, I need to play a Castlevania game, because I love castles and shit. I only every played IV on SNES as a kid. Which is the best Castlevania in the series, send me towards it!
Symphony of the Night.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Boletaria from demons souls should be present, Sen's fortress and Anor Londo from dark souls 1 should be present also.

The castle of Devil May cry 1 was special also.

Jul 20, 2018
High Wall of Lothric/Lothric Castle is a masterpiece and I'm so glad it got its due here, rather than something out of DS1 as I expected.

Love Cainhurst too of course.

Drangleic Castle looks cool from the outside, but on the inside it's full of giant empty rooms with ugly repeating textures. Worst castle in the series imo.

Yup.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
High Wall of Lothric/Lothric Castle is a masterpiece and I'm so glad it got its due here, rather than something out of DS1 as I expected.

Love Cainhurst too of course.

Yup.
Yep. Lothric is the best soulsborne castle. Topped off by of the best bosses in the series.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
What about Kaer Morhen?

latest

Came into the thread to say the same thing. I love that castle, there's such a heavy melancholy vibe about it, all decrepit and in disuse, devoid of life, only a handful of witchers left in the world to walk its halls and joke around a fire before one last battle.

I love that game.