• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
hmm alright, it's not like they weren't remastered either. HDTracks has them for sale right now

HDTracks

it's not concrete info yet, but it's rumored to be remastered by Bob Ludwig. I hope this means LP reissues are on the way.
You managed to take the wind of of today's sails. Thanks jerk. :P

Will def. stay frothy for a Ludwig remaster.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I listened to undertow recently and i still don't get the hype for Tool.
Some of the lyrics are interesting, some of the songs are great, but i can't listen to whole album and be amazed.

I mean, the first that really struck me about them was that video of their live performance of Sober. It's super powerfull, and makes all other renditions sound weak in comparison.
Other than that, most of the songs come and go, without leaving much of an impression.

Is there a specific album that usually is the gateway to Tool?
Link to that video?

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
New cover art is neat.

bam2hky.png

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I have that 2013 CD, with the band signatures... including the guy who wasn't in the band when that album was made. :D

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I listened to undertow recently and i still don't get the hype for Tool.
Some of the lyrics are interesting, some of the songs are great, but i can't listen to whole album and be amazed.

I mean, the first that really struck me about them was that video of their live performance of Sober. It's super powerfull, and makes all other renditions sound weak in comparison.
Other than that, most of the songs come and go, without leaving much of an impression.

Is there a specific album that usually is the gateway to Tool?
Undertow is before they started getting less angry and more thoughtful in their lyrics and sound (there's still some angry songs to be found later, but they expand their sound a lot starting with Aenima). You'll have to keep listening, because there are some great grooves in the following albums. Many people consider Lateralus to be a masterpiece, with Aenima and 10,000 days also being great. You can very much listen to Undertow and not "get" Tool much at all, really.

In particular, the groove between Adam, Danny, and Justin (guitar, drums, and bass) in particular is something that gives Tool it's signature sound. You can listen and hear the complex textures, especially with the drums in their songs. Maynard's focus on Aenima onward also becomes more interesting in his lyrics (more serious and thoughtful takes on religion and spirituality, among other things).

To me, for the longest time, the song Eulogy (from Aenima) was the signature sound for the band and contains a lot of the elements you can hear/feel in their albums. However, Lateralus is a trip in and of itself, but I think it's good to build up to that album with their earlier material.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I got into the band after Aenima, so I bought Lateralus on day one (my CD copy has the 'Lateralis' typo, which isn't 'rare' just something that was eventually fixed)

Lateralus is my favourite album of theirs, probably because of this timeline. In fact, going back, I think this is the case with a lot of my favourite bands... the album that came out after I got into them is very often my #1. Hmm...

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Undertow is before they started getting less angry and more thoughtful in their lyrics and sound (there's still some angry songs to be found later, but they expand their sound a lot starting with Aenima). You'll have to keep listening, because there are some great grooves in the following albums. Many people consider Lateralus to be a masterpiece, with Aenima and 10,000 days also being great. You can very much listen to Undertow and not "get" Tool much at all, really.

In particular, the groove between Adam, Danny, and Justin (guitar, drums, and bass) in particular is something that gives Tool it's signature sound. You can listen and hear the complex textures, especially with the drums in their songs. Maynard's focus on Aenima onward also becomes more interesting in his lyrics (more serious and thoughtful takes on religion and spirituality, among other things).

To me, for the longest time, the song Eulogy (from Aenima) was the signature sound for the band and contains a lot of the elements you can hear/feel in their albums. However, Lateralus is a trip in and of itself, but I think it's good to build up to that album with their earlier material.
I already like the sound of Lateralus much more than Undertow.
The lyrics are still not sticking though.
I'll read some more.

Thanks for the tidbits.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I got into the band after Aenima, so I bought Lateralus on day one (my CD copy has the 'Lateralis' typo, which isn't 'rare' just something that was eventually fixed)

Lateralus is my favourite album of theirs, probably because of this timeline. In fact, going back, I think this is the case with a lot of my favourite bands... the album that came out after I got into them is very often my #1. Hmm...
Lateralus is a great album and holds up probably the best in a lot of ways...but I remember people taking a bit to warm up to it right away when it first came, if you were following the band since before (at least people around me, my age). However, the album has so many musical layers that it just keeps getting better as you listen. At least, this was the experience for me. Now, it's probably different, and of course with people who started with it first.

But Lateralus is the best piece of work they've put out, I think, from beginning to end, it's just consistent and good, with lots of layers. Lyrically it's also more metaphorical and less straightforward than a lot of their other stuff before and after.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Lateralus is a great album and holds up probably the best in a lot of ways...but I remember people taking a bit to warm up to it right away when it first came, if you were following the band since before (at least people around me, my age). However, the album has so many musical layers that it just keeps getting better as you listen. At least, this was the experience for me. Now, it's probably different, and of course with people who started with it first.

But Lateralus is the best piece of work they've put out, I think, from beginning to end, it's just consistent and good, with lots of layers. Lyrically it's also more metaphorical and less straightforward than a lot of their other stuff before and after.
I agree with all of the above and remember it much the same way you do. I was totally into Lateralus from the start, but I remember others being a bit more cold to it at first. The only arguably unneccessary track is Faaip de Oiad (though it's cool because of how it captures a piece of equipment dying in real time, timed to that eerie radio clip). The "trilogy" songs (Disposition, Reflection, and Triad) is just... perfection. The title track is phenomenal. Damn, I love that album. I can listen to all of their albums on repeat, but Lateralus is absolutely the one that holds the most value as a work of art to me. Even Ticks & Leeches.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Fans were complaining about them going soft even before Lateralus, hence Hooker for a Penis was born. I love that they don't give a shit about sounding like some random persons definition of what they should sound like.

IIRC Ticks & Leeches was also born of criticism from the record label that Lateralus was too "soft" and needed more heavy tracks.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I think Lateralus is their best album. Just the detail behind the Fibonacci stuff alone, let alone the overall sound. Blows my mind.

I was disappointed when 10, 000 days came out as it was too similar and too filler-y, but I've come to appreciate it a bit more now.

Hope the new album is the best yet!

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Opiate: Opiate
Undertow: Undertow/Flood
Aenima: H
Salival: Third Eye (also Pushit, but the Salival Third Eye is probably my favorite song ever)
Lateralus: That's like choosing a kid, I just can't.
10,000 Days: Rosetta Stoned

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Subject to change on a whim but:

Opiate: Part Of Me (got to see them play this recently which was very cool)
Undertow: Sober
Aenima: H.
Salival: Pushit live (my favourite Tool song)
Lateralus: Lateralus (or maybe Reflection)
10,000 Days: Rosetta Stoned (probably their best written song)

The streaming versions of Opiate and Undertow definitely sound better than the CD rips I've had for years. Can't tell if they've been remastered or I just had crappy versions all these years.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Subject to change on a whim but:

Opiate: Part Of Me (got to see them play this recently which was very cool)
Undertow: Sober
Aenima: H.
Salival: Pushit live (my favourite Tool song)
Lateralus: Lateralus (or maybe Reflection)
10,000 Days: Rosetta Stoned (probably their best written song)

The streaming versions of Opiate and Undertow definitely sound better than the CD rips I've had for years. Can't tell if they've been remastered or I just had crappy versions all these years.
i think they've been remastered cause undertow is definitely louder.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Listening to them on Spotify now. I've always liked them but was never super into them. My sister was though. But I love that they will be in rotation now on many of my favorite playlists, one of the biggest strengths of Spotify.

I use Spotify for over 90% of my music listening these days. If it's not on Spotify, I may not listen to it. If it's a new artist, album or song, I may not be able to discover it unless it's on there. Hate to see so many artists still holding out. Tool finally joining the revolution is a big win.

I don't keep up with them very closely but they have a new album coming out at the end of this month? perfect timing.

Last edited:

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I've heard great things from Tool, I still have a large backlog but I'll position Tool up since the new album is coming out soon.

Oct 27, 2017
Tool is best enjoyed listening to an album start to finish imo.

Yup. Headphones, psychadelics and or favorite adult beverage, then take it in from start to finish. The "filler" tracks are there to widen the world that the band is painting.

Saw them in Red Rocks in 2001. It was the closest thing to a religious experience I've ever had. I feel like part of their charm is seeing them live

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been listening non stop since yesterday. When you think about it, this is a brilliant move to drop right before a release of a new album. Lost my (digital) albums 4 phones ago. Who wants to listen to CDs? This is a reminder of how great they are, just in time for the new album.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Undertow is an amazing and angry album and I will not hear otherwise. I love the raw sound of the guitar and Paul's bass. Aenima is still my all time total favorite though. Listening to it right now is an experience.

Not the biggest Henry Rollins fan but his part on Bottom is incredible. Too bad Tool never put the Zack de la Rocha live version on Salival though. It's even better since Zack draws upon his childhood and experience with racism/depression during the spoken word interlude. Frankly I would have loved him on the studio version.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Swamp Song is underrated. I can't help but sing out loud with that one. The anger and disgust is palpable.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Salival isn't on Spotify. Is it on any of the other services? It's a shame this one is missing, as it has some good tracks, including a cover song, and some live reinterpretations of other tracks that are really good.
I guess I'm going to have to pull that cd out to give a listen to. Maybe pop in the dvd too.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Tool was the gateway drug into prog rock in the 90s and a lot of the comments in this thread about "filler tracks" really shows. lol

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Tool was the gateway drug into prog rock in the 90s and a lot of the comments in this thread about "filler tracks" really shows. lol

I'm a big Stoner rock fan, and have been a huge Pink Floyd fan since my teens. I loved Undertow back in the day because it came out in my teens and it was angry and loud, but it also had this prog thing happening in the background.. they just went more that route as they went along which is awesome.. they grew so much as a band.