• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is this some kind of a disorder?

No, I just glanced over at Era or Twitter or whatever, and saw something that looked interesting enough that it pulled my attention fully away from the show because so little was happening at the time to keep it, and I missed some dialogue or something happening.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I just finished the show. Well, it doesn't really go anywhere by the end of it, but I still really enjoyed it and everything regarding the cinematography is just amazing. I guess I'll rate it 3.5 out of 5.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watched episode 1 yesterday and I really liked it. The style and artsy camera angles got me hooked. Can't believe I have 9 more episodes to go :D.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Episode 8 what the fuck

Refn is a shithead

Tries to pull a Cormac McCarthy but just comes out as an asshole

It makes no sense why Viggo doesn't go after Jesus and the Cartel. Diana is omniscient and even if she isn't it wouldn't be hard to figure out who did it, and Viggo was proven to be completely fearless. Instead they just drop it, like "Oh Martin's gone" and Viggo doesn't say anything. God, this shows third act sucked so fucking much. The only justification would be if they planned on a S2 where Viggo and Yaritza hunt the cartel, but I don't think that's happening.

Last edited:

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is there a list with the length of each episode? I'm on episode 3 and I'm liking it, but I read that some episodes are 20 minutes long? Lmao.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Did anyone feel unexpectedly bad for - EPISODE 8 SPOILERS
Martin? Just getting hacked up like a dog at the end. Felt like such a troll, which I guess was Refn's point. Made me feel worse than Janey's death tbh

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Did anyone feel unexpectedly bad for - EPISODE 8 SPOILERS
Martin? Just getting hacked up like a dog at the end. Felt like such a troll, which I guess was Refn's point. Made me feel worse than Janey's death tbh

Yes. I felt awful.
The long buildup to it and then horrendously graphic execution was a blatant middle finger to the audience and turned me on the whole show. If you're gonna do that, just do it, don't try to mislead us into thinking a last second save is going to happen. No Country did it the right way.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
watching episode 6 right now, still enjoying it very much even though i'm not sure if i get every characters motivation right now. also cristina rodlo is seriously one of the prettiest women on earth.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Its Refn alright, I don't know what I expected from a 10 episode season of Refn

I admittedly was curious enough to finish it, not gonna act like I hate watched it because this show is better than half the stuff i watch. Viggo is the only character I felt anything for, Yaritza was o.k. but that's not saying much. I dont feel bad one bit about what happend to Martin.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Okay, what in the living fuck was that finale?! MOTHERFUCKER!

I was really, really into this till episode 8. And then....bam, fuck you.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Its Refn alright, I don't know what I expected from a 10 episode season of Refn

I admittedly was curious enough to finish it, not gonna act like I hate watched it because this show is better than half the stuff i watch. Viggo is the only character I felt anything for, Yaritza was o.k. but that's not saying much. I dont feel bad one bit about what happend to Martin.

I don't think Martin deserved to die like that. I don't think anyone does, really. 3 days of torture and then chopped to pieces. He's a complicated character but clearly recognized his wrongs and was trying to right them.

My main issue is Viggo seemingly not knowing or not caring about what happened, and the idea of Yaritza becoming a new protagonist or something is insane. She was a terribly fleshed out character. Killing off the main character in a protracted agonizing way and then having everyone sort of forget that even happened with no retribution coming to Jesus at all was so weird. Viggo would have tracked him down and gone Rambo on the cartel even if it meant dying in the process.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Martin deserved to die like that. I don't think anyone does, really. 3 days of torture and then chopped to pieces. He's a complicated character but clearly recognized his wrongs and was trying to right them.

My main issue is Viggo seemingly not knowing or not caring about what happened, and the idea of Yaritza becoming a new protagonist or something is insane. She was a terribly fleshed out character. Killing off the main character in a protracted agonizing way and then having everyone sort of forget that even happened with no retribution coming to Jesus at all was so weird.
Narrative wise it sucks Martin does not get to redeem himself and as others pointed out it seems Refn was biting no country for old men a little. Refn did try to show us the Cartel is a force of nature and they cant be stopped, What did you expect to happen? I would have found it highly implausible Martin/Viggo could do anything about Jesus wanting Martin dead let alone Viggo a dying old man wanting to get revenge. I also imaging the missing 30 minutes of episode 10 could be the police putting out a bolo on martin for the death of Janey and and disappearance of her father leading to Diane/viggo distancing themselves.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Narrative wise it sucks Martin does not get to redeem himself and as others pointed out it seems Refn was biting no country for old men a little. Refn did try to show us the Cartel is a force of nature and they cant be stopped, What did you expect to happen? I would have found it highly implausible Martin/Viggo could do anything about Jesus wanting Martin dead let alone Viggo a dying old man wanting to get revenge. I also imaging the missing 30 minutes of episode 10 could be the police putting out a bolo on martin for the death of Janey and and disappearance of her father leading to Diane/viggo distancing themselves.

The world of the show isn't bound by logic, Viggo kills a ton of people without issue and aside from his illness and that car running out of gas, is shown to be unstoppable in the same way Jesus was. But Jesus is kind of an egotistical idiot who has no idea Yaritza is fucking with his business behind his back. This isn't the same as Anton Chigurh in No Country. The Cartel made it obvious it was them when they left Damien's hands at the crime scene, Martin and Viggo both had to have known it was them when they saw that. I don't know why Martin just ignored it and didn't think Damien might give him up, Refn seemed to have given up on the third act being logically cohesive since he ran out of money. I don't think Viggo would distance himself from Martin just from finding out Janey was underage, Viggo cared about him. And Janey's Dad was a complete scumbag, exactly the type of guy that Viggo blew away in that trailer park.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just finished it. Really didn't like the last episode at all - was such an absurd troll of an anti-climax.

Overall I did really like the show, apart from
aliens!?

Glad I watched it, the pacing didn't bother me too much. I'm just kinda amazed something like this exists, I can't imagine Refn will get another season between the mixed reviews and how few people I imagine actually watched the whole thing.

Episode 5 was legit a borderline-masterpiece and one of the best TV episodes I've seen in ages.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I would like to imagine John Hawkes' reaction to reading the script for his character was something like

"Okay, and then what?"

Oct 27, 2017
meeh.. really disappointed overall... it lost everything going for it in episode 8... I was skipping forward to make it end quicker... 5/10 over all with a few episodes in the 8-9 range. episode 5 being the best.

"spits"

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it

I was incredibly positive on the series even through episode 8 (it was fine?) but once you get beyond that the show really doesn't have anything else to do beyond present some vignettes to you and it feels like padding. Like I don't think episode 8 is a spectacular finale or anything but I'd almost rather just have that be the end

I still liked the series a lot overall but I wish it could've stuck the landing at the end. Episode 10 is fine I guess (and short) but the one two punch of 9 and 10 ain't it

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
9 and 10 are the only episodes stopping the entire season being a pointless exercise in trolling the audience. Episode 8 flat out does not work as an ending.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018

lol

I wonder if it was Miles Teller"s idea to add that to the character..

the more annoying thing though is when you think about it he literally leaves his dna at all most every place he murders/kills someone...

lmao this is great

A heightened level of disgust in the ep 5 spits. Miles Teller the god.

I totally forgot
he got one last one in on Jesus. Martin now owns him even in death.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
This show is about 2/3rds dramatic pausing where nothing happens. It's like they quadruple-spaced the dialogue

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i was somehow under the impression this would be a Refn-lite sort of affair, bespoke to the binge/streaming format. hoo boy was i wrong

liking it though for the most part. only on the second episode, see where it goes

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
My favorite shots

M31lrKk.jpg

3D09uy3.jpg

k057r8R.jpg

Ir7MA8k.jpg

QlV46Bf.jpg

4O9cO8s.jpg

JFNQrtA.jpg

TedKYKw.jpg

SjRhTUL.jpg

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Legitimately had a nightmare about episode
last night a week after finishing the show so Refn has definitely penetrated my brain lol.

Last edited:

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Legitimately had a nightmare about episode
last night a week after finishing the show so Refn has definitely penetrated my brain lol.

Jesus hacking Martin to pieces when I was sure he was going to get saved at the last minute by either Viggo or Yaritza fucked me up. I went from being completely disturbed to pissed off and fast forwarded through any other scene with Jesus in the hopes he gets clapped.

I guess I shouldn't have convinced myself he wouldn't die but my overriding thought was "No filmmaker would make us watch an 18 year old girl get shot in the face, the main character tortured for 20 minutes, and then the bad guy playing with his machete for there not to be an incredibly satisfying last minute save. If they were going to kill off Martin they'd do it quickly like in No Country."

And I maintain that Refn going through with it was a bad decision that killed the third act. His priority was subverting expectation rather than figuring out a cohesive way to end Martin's story and stick the landing.

Last edited:

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
It's a self-indulgent mess not unlike Lynch's Twin Peaks - The Return. It's what happens when you give free rein to so-called auteurs who enjoy smelling their own farts.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
It's a self-indulgent mess not unlike Lynch's Twin Peaks - The Return. It's what happens when you give free rein to so-called auteurs who enjoy smelling their own farts.

This is 100 times more self indulgent than Twin Peaks S3 was and is going to lose Amazon a lot more money. The only reason Refn is able to do this is because he has massive amounts of family money to finance his own stuff. He hasn't had a hit since Drive.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Sweet baby Jeezus, that was whelming. I may need to rewatch it again when fully awake, specially ep7 to ep9, I feel like a missed a lot of details.

That cameo on ep4 was pretty boss tho.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
Sounds like a refn ass show

it is the most refn thing he ever did

some parts that are among the best scenes he has ever filmed. 10/10 stuff.
but the show is also extremly uneven. some things are too fleshed out, some parts not enough. sometimes the show feels like the worst parts of only god forgives and it gets really boring. some parts feel like the best parts of drive. it doesn't feel like brubaker was as involved in the script as i hoped, like he only gave a general outline of the story but refn did a lot of writing himself. the only consistent thing about the show are the visuals, which are always beautiful.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished it last night and I felt it really dropped the ball at the end.
Seems like Amazon saw dailies and was "what the fuck!" and he had to cut stuff.

But overall I really had a good time. It makes no sense that I did and I can not recommend this to anyone but something about it kept me entertained. I really want to read some interviews or other behind the scenes. If anyone has something, feel free to share!

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it last night and I felt it really dropped the ball at the end.
Seems like Amazon saw dailies and was "what the fuck!" and he had to cut stuff.

But overall I really had a good time. It makes no sense that I did and I can not recommend this to anyone but something about it kept me entertained. I really want to read some interviews or other behind the scenes. If anyone has something, feel free to share!

Word is he ran out of money, which I can believe with every being the length of a movie and he did have lots of remote shoots, which likely pushed up the costs.